ADVERTISEMENT

UK job ranking

Nov 26, 2023
Where would you rank the UK job in college basketball? With NIL, I’m not sure it’s even in the top 10-12. UK just doesn’t have its pick of billionaire boosters like some other schools.

• Haha
Reactions: 4849515878969812...
Saying the same thing about Bama after Shula , Kentucky will always be one of the top if not the top basketball job . As a Bama and Kentucky fan always be two of the best jobs in their sport.

Reactions: jrpross and TM2013
Where would you rank the UK job in college basketball? With NIL, I’m not sure it’s even in the top 10-12. UK just doesn’t have its pick of billionaire boosters like some other schools.
Hard to say. But considering the pressure, it’s not a top 3-5 job. When great coaches have a good thing going, why come here to get ridiculed if you have 1 average season. Money definitely talks. And we have the legacy. But again, it’s a huge risk considering Kentucky coaches generally don’t last a real long time. Cal was an exception. But so many fans have hated him for many years

Reactions: Monk2Fox
I know this is a troll job, but there’s actually SOME truth to it.

The UK job is not as desirable as we think. Times have changed. All you need to win is NIL and a great coach.

We will still get a top coach and find success, but we will be amongst many others, not “at the top”. That’s just what college basketball is now.

Sorry but that is very dumb

If it’s all about NIL, how come IU isn’t rocking it? Mark Cuban, John Cougar Mellencamp, Venus Williams, etc etc. They have several A listers to draw support from.

Reactions: TM2013
It is still the top job in the sport. UNC is the only comparable program. Yes you can win anywhere with NIL and yes there is pressure but it's still the pinnacle of the profession for those with the elite ambition.

Reactions: CatPatrick13
I still think we’re one of the top jobs, but I don’t think we’re on a pedestal above the whole rest of the sport anymore, and it seems that some of our fanbase hasn’t totally adjusted to that yet.

As it relates to our current coaching search, I think that means that we could still have our pick of “up and coming” coaches, either star assistants looking for a chance to be the head man (think Tommy Lloyd or Jerome Tang before they moved into their current positions), or big winners at the mid-major level who are looking to chase a national championship. It’s going to be a lot harder to poach whoever we want that’s already at a power conference job and winning or at least contending for titles though. The gap in resources between us and other major conference programs isn’t nearly what it once was, and a lot of coaches in more recent years seem to have learned that it’s not worth leaving a job where you already have it all for an extra bit of money and prestige. If we could actually land Scott Drew, it would be pretty impressive by this measure even though a lot of fans seem underwhelmed by him right now.

Reactions: Cayts69
A top 362 job for sure but if we’re just talking about the SEC it’s easily top 14.

Despite the disappointing last few years, UK is a top 5 job imo. Still lead CBB in wins.
Saying the same thing about Bama after Shula , Kentucky will always be one of the top if not the top basketball job . As a Bama and Kentucky fan always be two of the best jobs in their sport.
Yup. and it's not like we don't lead CBB in all-time wins.

Reactions: TM2013
The problem with UK is for 99% of coaches it is a 5-10 year job IMO. Cal said when he started he would only be here 10 years. If he had left at 10 years he probably still would have been remembered as a UK legend. Now he's running from the mob to Fayetteville. The pressure is just too great here to do this job for 20 years. Is there a coach out there that could do it? Maybe, but I don't know that he'll be a coach we can get.

Okay, that’s my point…?

If you have NIL and you get the right coach you’re set.

All time wins don’t mean crap lol
Any blue blood can be elite with a competent coach. That's why they are such desirable jobs.

I still think we’re one of the top jobs, but I don’t think we’re on a pedestal above the whole rest of the sport anymore, and it seems that some of our fanbase hasn’t totally adjusted to that yet.

As it relates to our current coaching search, I think that means that we could still have our pick of “up and coming” coaches, either star assistants looking for a chance to be the head man (think Tommy Lloyd or Jerome Tang before they moved into their current positions), or big winners at the mid-major level who are looking to chase a national championship. It’s going to be a lot harder to poach whoever we want that’s already at a power conference job and winning or at least contending for titles though. The gap in resources between us and other major conference programs isn’t nearly what it once was, and a lot of coaches in more recent years seem to have learned that it’s not worth leaving a job where you already have it all for an extra bit of money and prestige. If we could actually land Scott Drew, it would be pretty impressive by this measure even though a lot of fans seem underwhelmed by him right now.
Why not a new coach that would have the drive to do better than a coach who has been there and thinks they have all the answers. Just an example; Mathew Mitchell took a couple of years but then started winning big .alot of first times for UK WBB.

But the elite coaches still want to lead the elite programs. Imho. But I admit it's a new world and there hasn't really been any case studies to prove that since UNC and Duke made quick and easy internal hires.
Agree they have a desire, especially if they’re at a mid major, but not sure how great that desire is for more established coaches. UK really is the first case study to your point, and it looks like we’re 0-1 (oats).

Agree they have a desire, especially if they’re at a mid major, but not sure how great that desire is for more established coaches. UK really is the first case study to your point, and it looks like we’re 0-1 (oats).
Im in the camp that believes Oats would 100% come here if offered. But with Mitch he probably won't seriously pursue him. Oats has that Pitino, Calipari energy...not afraid of the pressure and wants to be the king.

Reactions: Cayts69
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT