ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball NIL fund

What does this mean? Do fans donate into it? Do fans purchase *something* and profits can be used for NIL? I was under the impression the University couldn’t be the ones offering NIL deals.

Reactions: Zissou87 and G-PIP
What does this mean? Do fans donate into it? Do fans purchase *something* and profits can be used for NIL? I was under the impression the University couldn’t be the ones offering NIL deals.

I could be mistaken but I believe UT sued the NCAA because they questioned their NIL and basically neutered the NCAA to not be able to enforce anything

Looks like Mitch finally caught up with the times (or was forced to). After the injunction in the Tennessee/Virginia case, all rules are out the window. We can effectively offer NIL, pay to play, whatever, with the backing and control of the athletic department.

We’ll probably keep it NIL based just to be safe, it this is what modern college sports will look like.

Reactions: TM2013
I've been a huge Cal critic. However, with this new NIL you have to give him at least 3 more years. He's the absolute perfect coach to capitalize on something like this. As much as his shortcomings as an X's and O's coach, if we get the absolute best of the best it won't matter.

No, what is sad is the billions of $$$ the NCAA and schools made off of the players while they didn't receive jack shit, and had to go without eating because the stipend was a joke.
I agree on the first part, but not the going hungry part. I worked at Blazer when the football team was awful, they never went hungry lol.

Reactions: ORCAT
How much are we all pitching in to get Reed back for year 2? LOL
tree fiddy.

Reed would be an NIL dream. He could legit challenge his first year NBA money (unless he really lands in the top 4 or 5 picks) or at least make enough to be able to put it off another year. He would be a Kentucky legend if he sticks around another year.

wasn't it always though? Now it's just out in the open.

It's like when gambling and weed are illegal in a state... it's not like there isn't a ton of people doing it
Some truth in that. But to a different degree, I think. For example, gambling was always legal in KY – as long as the right people (hypocrites) were controlling it and getting paid. Also, marijuana has apparently never been illegal in Leslie Co. :)

In reality, this should be a combined effort between Calipari and Stoops to benefit both of the schools revenue generating programs.

My guess is that Gregg Darbyshire will be heading it up for UK. he and Cal have been working together a long time now with camps and Darbyshire has been working on this for UK.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT