ADVERTISEMENT

UK launching NIL fund "making UK basketball the top NIL destination in college basketball."

About freaking time.

We have always had the highest interest per fan and we have always had at minimum close to the biggest fanbase, even if it's not technically the biggest fanbase (which I think it actually is). The idea that we have gotten kicked around in some ways since NIL started by better organized little schools is silly.

Well, I like it in the sense that it’s good for UK’s future success.

But I’m still having trouble adjusting to this new world where everyone’s just blatantly up front about the fact that the goal is to buy championships. Will titles still mean as much if you know it’s just because your NIL sugar daddies outspent theirs?

I miss the college sports world I grew up with.

But I’m still having trouble adjusting to this new world where everyone’s just blatantly up front about the fact that the goal is to buy championships. Will titles still mean as much if you know it’s just because your NIL sugar daddies outspent theirs?

There ain’t a thing in this world that money can’t ruin.

About freaking time.

We have always had the highest interest per fan and we have always had at minimum close to the biggest fanbase, even if it's not technically the biggest fanbase (which I think it actually is). The idea that we have gotten kicked around in some ways since NIL started by better organized little schools is silly.
I don’t think our fan base is close to being the biggest. Michigan, Texas, Ohio State, Notre Dame, and several others are much larger than ours.

However, if you’re talking about the most active, fervent, best-traveling, avid fan base. Well, there’s none better than BBN!

The next thing to do is figure out some sort of cap system. You hear most of sports radio hint (or outright say) this is the next piece of the puzzle to solve.. because yes, a billionaire booster for a school could buy the top10 recruits for pennies to them.

In pro sports, every big market would dominate. But the salary cap helps to eliminate this problem.

So now, the powers that be need to decide on how to limit what a school can "hand out" for NIL. I'd like to see it be a high enough number that blue bloods and programs that take it seriously, can still maintain an edge, but not so high that it creates insurmountable odds for others. I'd like to think $5mil or something is enough to keep the major players at the top if they choose to, but not so much that smaller schools can't still compete and put together their own teams for something like $300k or $1mil.

Same here but it is what it is. Might as well embrace it.

Should help us retain some high profile players for 2 or 3 years that aren't ready for the pro's in one year. Those type players usually get much better the longer they stay. So for us, not only getting more top players but if we start retaining more 4 and 5 star players for multiple years that is big.

I wonder who on our staff negotiates with the “agents” for players.
I mentioned in the other thread, it wouldn't surprise me if it's Gregg Darbyshire who does all of that. I think he will be heavily involved, if not lead, the NIL system being set up. He and Cal have a pre-existing relationship and his son is now on the team.

Reactions: Fox2monk
The next thing to do is figure out some sort of cap system. You hear most of sports radio hint (or outright say) this is the next piece of the puzzle to solve.. because yes, a billionaire booster for a school could buy the top10 recruits for pennies to them.

In pro sports, every big market would dominate. But the salary cap helps to eliminate this problem.

So now, the powers that be need to decide on how to limit what a school can "hand out" for NIL. I'd like to see it be a high enough number that blue bloods and programs that take it seriously, can still maintain an edge, but not so high that it creates insurmountable odds for others. I'd like to think $5mil or something is enough to keep the major players at the top if they choose to, but not so much that smaller schools can't still compete and put together their own teams for something like $300k or $1mil.
Idk why this horrible idea seems to be so wide spread. No pro sports shouldn’t have a salary cap, and no college sports should definitely not have an NIl salary cap because that doesn’t even make sense. The school is not the ones paying the players companies are to have the players advertise for them, why would you arbitrarily cap that?

Reactions: thack_kat
At least the NFL and NBA are pro leagues that make their own payroll. "College" is just another pro league with no salary cap that begs the fans to make payroll for them.

Reactions: ACTSEAN
Idk why this horrible idea seems to be so wide spread. No pro sports shouldn’t have a salary cap, and no college sports should definitely not have an NIl salary cap because that doesn’t even make sense. The school is not the ones paying the players companies are to have the players advertise for them, why would you arbitrarily cap that?

Yes, pro sports absolutely should have a salary cap, otherwise it would be 8 pro teams in every sport. Parity is good, and good franchises can still use their money and talent to win in other ways.

As for College, I don't know how you do it. Maybe NIL earnings need to be reported and if a college team has more NIL on their roster in a given year, they take some sort of penalty. It wouldn't be hard to do.

So, how long until the NCAA decides to come sniffing around? It wouldn't be the first time they've changed their minds to put a thumb in Cal's eye.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
I'd love for us to figure out the numbers, what we can offer to players. And then put the word out there "were offering $2mil for any top10 ranked player, regardless if they are committed".

Let it be known that if you want to rethink your school choice, here's what we're offering. And that's not tampering. We're not contacting anyone. But it's just to make all recruits aware of what our offer is.

If we don't worry about spending money on the best coaches why worry about legally spending money on the best players? It is about time someone who actually plays the game get something out of it. Some will say the players get college degrees, but we know that most of these guys exhaust their eligibilities before they ever get degrees. Also, some of these guys don't and will never have the aptitude to do well in college and that shouldn't be required to benefit from all the money generated because of their talents. The short period of time that they are in college will likely be their greatest chance to make a huge financial difference in their lives.

Last edited:

Definitely sucks but the fact remains if we wanna compete we have to spend. It blows I agree.

I think the cap should be a million bucks. High enough that big schools could afford a couple large expense players and make a roster, not so high that a smaller school couldn’t compete. A million dollars to play college sports is crazy high.

So, how long until the NCAA decides to come sniffing around? It wouldn't be the first time they've changed their minds to put a thumb in Cal's eye.
The ncaa has no control over nil until after the case with Tennessee and that could carry on for years… and no way the ncaa wins that they are dead

Definitely sucks but the fact remains if we wanna compete we have to spend. It blows I agree.
What is wrong the players getting paid? It doesn't make them play better. Money and lots of it is what enables the blue bloods to hire the best coaches, in most cases.

Reactions: Fox2monk
I don’t think our fan base is close to being the biggest. Michigan, Texas, Ohio State, Notre Dame, and several others are much larger than ours.

However, if you’re talking about the most active, fervent, best-traveling, avid fan base. Well, there’s none better than BBN!
We‘re talking basketball not football.

Yes, pro sports absolutely should have a salary cap, otherwise it would be 8 pro teams in every sport. Parity is good, and good franchises can still use their money and talent to win in other ways.

As for College, I don't know how you do it. Maybe NIL earnings need to be reported and if a college team has more NIL on their roster in a given year, they take some sort of penalty. It wouldn't be hard to do.

The athletes would have to unionize and the cap be collectively bargained. There is no other way to cap salaries, period. What you mentioned about penalties for excessive NIL would be struck down immediately per the recent Supreme Court rulings.

Reactions: 1war
The ncaa has no control over nil until after the case with Tennessee and that could carry on for years… and no way the ncaa wins that they are dead
I'm aware of the current preliminary injunction, but keep in mind that the order prevents the NCAA from interfering with third parties, including boosters and collectives, from making NIL offers to players. There are a plethora of other ways for the NCAA to take a bite out of the proverbial apple without violating the present injunction. Additionally, if the NCAA appeals, I am unsure how broadly the Supreme Court would rule in a future decision, after they chose to narrowly limit NCAA v. Alston to educational benefits. Dicta in Justice Kavanaugh's concurrence indicates that he would be in favor of a more broadly construed Anti-trust framework regarding other types of benefits, but it is still unclear if that position would lead to a majority opinion.

Conor Mc Gregor Make It Rain GIF - Conor Mc Gregor Make It Rain Money Rain GIFs

• Haha
Reactions: michaeluk26

Isn't that basically what the NCAA is getting sued for right now? Anti-trust laws won't let them restrict how much someone else can make in the free market, especially if the people they are trying to police are not their employees.

I agree.....they open a can of worms with the NIL and they can not get it closed again.

Reactions: KFuqua
I think the cap should be a million bucks. High enough that big schools could afford a couple large expense players and make a roster, not so high that a smaller school couldn’t compete. A million dollars to play college sports is crazy high.
You can't cap it because it's technically not a salary, it's compensation for name, image likeness.
Pro sports can't cap NIL.
The courts seem to be blocking any attemp to weed out what is legit NIL and what is pay for play disguised as NIL.
If you have no ability to discern between the two, then it's a free for all.

Looks like Cal is gearing up to bring in the best transfers this off season
Maybe, but probably will make a nice offer for some on the current team to return plus Darryn Peterson.
If we could get DJ and Aaron back and add DP, you don't need any portal additions.

Or you could be like UConn and purposely target kids that put the program first. But I digress.
Do they?
Who is the last UCONN player who got first round feedback and returned to school?
I got 20 that says Castle declares regardless of UCONN's post season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT