ADVERTISEMENT

UK Defense, This Is Becoming a Habit!

I bet we get a transfer or two of defensive players from schools that run gimmicky offenses and don’t much give a damn for defense.

Of all the successes Stoops has fostered, bringing Kentucky to the very top of SEC defenses may be the most incredible.

Coen need not be SOS the second; all we need is an SEC offense in the top 7 or 8 to get back to Florida on New Year’s Day, and maybe NY6.

12th in Total Defense. 13th in Scoring Defense.

Precisely top 10 percent, nationally.

Second to only Georgia in the SEC for both categories.
Kentucky's defense dominated Iowa. LaPorta broke 5 or 6 tackles on his play, and the next pass to (Lasway?) Scored the touchdown. That's was Iowa's offense. They were 0 for 11 on third down and 0 for 2 on fourth down. Rewatched the game last night and Wade did better than I thought watching the game. He missed his down field throws and threw the 2 pick sixes which sealed the game, but he made some good throws and had some decent runs against a top ten XDdefense. He looked slow trying to outrun Campbell to the edge but Campbell is the best linebacker in the Nation.

Right, if we keep playing this good of defense, the offense only needs to be serviceable to have a very nice 2023 (8-9 wins with the tougher schedule). But hopefully the offense too will be great getting us to 10+ wins. Stoops and White have done an outstanding job with the D.

12th in Total Defense. 13th in Scoring Defense.

Precisely top 10 percent, nationally.

Second to only Georgia in the SEC for both categories.
Bingo

Stoops has had four top twenty defensive squads in his 10 years.

This is why even with Stoops issues on offense…I’m not ready to give up on him. If Stoops can stay attached to Coen for 3 years…he can maintain a defensive Team.

Stoops also is pretty awful special teams coach over the years. Hoping Boulware can fix that unit as well

The defense was really good, no doubt. But I wonder how much those numbers are skewed because we had the slowest offense in college football this year. That kept the number of plays down for the defense. Regardless, it was easily a top 25 defense and kudos to the staff.

The defense was really good, no doubt. But I wonder how much those numbers are skewed because we had the slowest offense in college football this year. That kept the number of plays down for the defense. Regardless, it was easily a top 25 defense and kudos to the staff.
Yes but it cuts both ways. Slogs down your offensive stats. And the defense didn’t have a offensive squad that kept them off the field as well

But this defense was really good. Teams didn’t just score at Will on us Good year by White and staff

Frankly, Barion had his man beaten, twice.

The throws were just too much, or Brown would have been dancing in the end zone twice.
If I'm thinking of one of those two plays, Brown was open on a post and then cut behind the safety, giving Wade no where to throw the ball. If he stays inside, Wade only has to lay it out in front of him for a big gain.

Brown is a major talent, no doubt. As others have said, needs to get stronger and become more sound technique wise and he can be a monster. But, there's more to playing WR than being fast and he needs to realize that and work on his craft.

Reactions: The-Hack
We have a really good defense, but c’mon, that offense was horrible. Lol. We should have dominated them.

Bingo

Stoops has had four top twenty defensive squads in his 10 years.

This is why even with Stoops issues on offense…I’m not ready to give up on him. If Stoops can stay attached to Coen for 3 years…he can maintain a defensive Team.

Stoops also is pretty awful special teams coach over the years. Hoping Boulware can fix that unit as well
Coen was an unproven offensive mind when he came here, but his success here should allow Stoops to hire only proven college OCs going forward. Hiring RS was an unnecessary risk.

Reactions: K_TIME
Coen was an unproven offensive mind when he came here, but his success here should allow Stoops to hire only proven college OCs going forward. Hiring RS was an unnecessary risk.
Scan was the wrong hire but maybe it all works out with Coen coming back. We wouldn’t have got him had the OC hire been decent.

Scan must talk a good game cause he has made a great career out of not being able to call plays. I think in the end our players will be better for getting his coaching and picking his mind but obviously not having to run his play calls.

All down linemen return plus a good group of young players. K. Wade, Fearbry, etc but watch Noah Matthews...guy's gonna be a player. Dinkins/Saunders making progress, Anaele looks to finally be healthy. Get Ox back up to speed. I like it.

Reactions: CGblue
Kentucky's defense dominated Iowa. LaPorta broke 5 or 6 tackles on his play, and the next pass to (Lasway?) Scored the touchdown. That's was Iowa's offense. They were 0 for 11 on third down and 0 for 2 on fourth down. Rewatched the game last night and Wade did better than I thought watching the game. He missed his down field throws and threw the 2 pick sixes which sealed the game, but he made some good throws and had some decent runs against a top ten XDdefense. He looked slow trying to outrun Campbell to the edge but Campbell is the best linebacker in the Nation.

Iirc that was after a few special teams exchanges flipped the field. They took the ball on that possession in great field position.

I haven't looked at draft boards, but la porta must be highly regarded in te rankings. I was majorly impressed with him in Orlando then more so in Nashville. Some NFL team will get a really good te

Reactions: Johnfarrel
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT