ADVERTISEMENT

Like to get this guy as OC

Kybluedude

All-SEC
Nov 19, 2005
Will Stein.

Dad played at UK. Perhaps he and his wife and child want to move home. Wishful thinking. I hope CMS made an inquiry
Finalist for the Frank Broyles Award.

Under Stein, Oregon's offense leads college football in passing yards (351.4 YPG), completion percentage (78.3%), sacks allowed (5), first downs per game (27.3) and scrimmage plays of 10-plus yards (229).

Oregon also ranks No. 2 nationally in a variety of other categories including scoring offense (45.3 PPG), total offense (540.3 YPG), total yards per play (7.85), and fewest turnovers (6).

Will Stein.

Dad played at UK. Perhaps he and his wife and child want to move home. Wishful thinking. I hope CMS made an inquiry
Finalist for the Frank Broyles Award.

Under Stein, Oregon's offense leads college football in passing yards (351.4 YPG), completion percentage (78.3%), sacks allowed (5), first downs per game (27.3) and scrimmage plays of 10-plus yards (229).

Oregon also ranks No. 2 nationally in a variety of other categories including scoring offense (45.3 PPG), total offense (540.3 YPG), total yards per play (7.85), and fewest turnovers (6).
Three excellent choices: Stein, Faulkner and Rees. I feel confident we end up with on of them. I do believe its going to be Faulkner though!

Go Big Blue!

I like the guy as well but if he came here you can cut those numbers in half once Stoops throttles his offense. Oregon played at a frenetic pace and constantly kept pressure on opposing defenses. We OTOH look like we're trying to help an old lady cross the street.

But I would be pretty darn happy if we got Stein, Rees, Faulkner or Moorhead.

No doubt he has been a part of rebuilding Bo Nix's career and be on anyone looking for an OC. The big issue is Oregon has lots of money and he would be expensive if Oregon wanted to keep him.
WS will be a HC next year.
Are we “willing” to go down the same path again with replacing the OC after 1 season?

Oregon has built a team they expect to challenge Ohio & Michigan for the Big 10 title. Even if we made an offer for Stein the Ducks would top it by $250k-$500k, no matter how high.

It is fair to ask about Stein, was he a great OC...or was he the OC that benefitted from having a very good 6th yr starting QB?

Personally whoever Stoops hires I hope they do such a good job that they are in fact fielding CFB head coach/NFL OC offers after 2024. What the heck is the alternative, you want someone mediocre who nobody wants!?!? Kind of self defeating thinking ain't it?

I like the guy as well but if he came here you can cut those numbers in half once Stoops throttles his offense. Oregon played at a frenetic pace and constantly kept pressure on opposing defenses. We OTOH look like we're trying to help an old lady cross the street.

But I would be pretty darn happy if we got Stein, Rees, Faulkner or Moorhead.
"We OTOH look like we're trying to help an old lady cross the street." I can picture this in my head seccats04. Thanks for the thought!

No doubt he has been a part of rebuilding Bo Nix's career and be on anyone looking for an OC. The big issue is Oregon has lots of money and he would be expensive if Oregon wanted to keep him.
Oregon has been hesitant in the past to give big money to coaches. Lanning just got a new contract, so that might be changing, but he's still not paid in the top 20 of head coaches. Stein is at $800,000. Having worked at the University of Oregon for 8 years, the money aspect of their program is often overstated due to Phil Knight. He does put a ton of money into the university, but it mostly goes to facility upgrades/construction and academics, not the day to day operations of the athletic department. I think UK brings in about $20 million more per year than Oregon, according to Oregon's report of $138 million in revenue. Now, the Big10 move could change that but the expenses associated with moving to the Big 10 will also be pretty substantial.

EDIT: A poster pointed out that the USA Today report has $153 million in revenue for Oregon. Another fiscal report available on the universities website says they brought in $150 million. Who knows what the exact number is, but it's clear from all reports that UK has a higher annual revenue stream for operations than Oregon.

Last edited:
Oregon has been hesitant in the past to give big money to coaches. Lanning just got a new contract, so that might be changing, but he's still not paid in the top 20 of head coaches. Stein is at $800,000. Having worked at the University of Oregon for 8 years, the money aspect of their program is often overstated due to Phil Knight. He does put a ton of money into the university, but it mostly goes to facility upgrades/construction and academics, not the day to day operations of the athletic department. I think UK brings in about $25 million more per year than Oregon. Now, the Big10 move could change that but the expenses associated with moving to the Big 10 will also be pretty substantial.
I think your point is valid, but the revenue figures are nearly even, though I was mildly surprised to see we are only down to #9 in the SEC even when adding UTx and OK to the list.
https://www.on3.com/news/usa-today-releases-top-25-total-revenue-college-athletics-programs/

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Reactions: satcheluk
I think Stein’s a long shot but hope I’m wrong. He’s got a great set up there with a ton of talent. Not really sure what his draw here would be except he’s from the state.

Oregon has been hesitant in the past to give big money to coaches. Lanning just got a new contract, so that might be changing, but he's still not paid in the top 20 of head coaches. Stein is at $800,000. Having worked at the University of Oregon for 8 years, the money aspect of their program is often overstated due to Phil Knight. He does put a ton of money into the university, but it mostly goes to facility upgrades/construction and academics, not the day to day operations of the athletic department. I think UK brings in about $25 million more per year than Oregon. Now, the Big10 move could change that but the expenses associated with moving to the Big 10 will also be pretty substantial.

The salary he is getting for Oregon is only part of his salary, He is also going to get a percentage of Nike if he fulfills his contract or is fired, that is voided if he leaves for another job, reportly worth 75m at maturity. But that 25m less is Pac12 money, Big10 money will be quite a bit more and like you say travel expense will increase quite a bit too not so much for football, but all the other sports. But i suppose people alot smarter than me thought it was worth it.

Yep I posted same thing a few days ago on original OC thread

Will Stein OC @ Oregon
Makes 800K @ Oregon
From Louisville
Could move back home and make 1 million more
"Growing up I was a big UK fan," the junior quarterback said. "My mom and dad both went there so this is definitely special to me going back to Commonwealth. I spent a lot of games there."

Yep I posted same thing a few days ago on original OC thread

"Growing up I was a big UK fan," the junior quarterback said. "My mom and dad both went there so this is definitely special to me going back to Commonwealth. I spent a lot of games there."
A lot of Steins and family still in the area. They would eat it up if he was UK’s OC.

Stein has shot up the ranks at an impressive pace. The guy was an OC only for one season at UTSA before Oregon hired him. He's now been with them for a year. The guy must have had one Jim Dandy of a season in 2022 to land a job offer like Oregon.

I don't see how you don't throw a bag at this guy. Even if it was just for one year, he could bring a ton of notoriety coming from Oregon and Lanning as they're a hot topic the last few years.

I doubt he’s going to leave a championship contending team with a proven QB to come here with all the uncertainty. Oregon is almost certainly going to have a better season than us. He’s in line to be a HC soon I don’t see how coming here would benefit him

I don't see how you don't throw a bag at this guy. Even if it was just for one year, he could bring a ton of notoriety coming from Oregon and Lanning as they're a hot topic the last few years.

Two things working here. If Oregon wants to keep him they can throw bigger bags than just about anyone in the country. The second is they don't try to keep him you have paid too much.

Stein has shot up the ranks at an impressive pace. The guy was an OC only for one season at UTSA before Oregon hired him. He's now been with them for a year. The guy must have had one Jim Dandy of a season in 2022 to land a job offer like Oregon.
FWIW, Stein had a 7 year QB at UTSA, 6 year QB at Oregon. Don't know how he'd do on recruiting/developing his own guy from scratch.

Rees is off the table.. Cleveland just signed him a couple days ago as their TE coach..
Says a lot about the state of college athletics that college Head Coaches are going to the NFL to be an assistant and a coach would rather be a position coach in the NFL than an OC for a power 5 team.

Says a lot about the state of college athletics that college Head Coaches are going to the NFL to be an assistant and a coach would rather be a position coach in the NFL than an OC for a power 5 team.
Agreed. I feel like it's played a large part in some of the recent retirees in both basketball and football.

Well many guys know you can’t build culture wjtb having to deal with guys hitting portal when it doesn’t go their way…then NIL only adds to it

And the greatest football is such a culture atmosphere…toughness, sacrifice, discipline etc. are so valuable in addition to talent. But this new era it’s hard to build up culture

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT