ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Jones reporting...

If your goal is to become a millionaire and/or get to the NBA, is winning really that important? Asking for a friend…

Reactions: FltDoc
I’m a guy that will come and say that. It matters to me and us fans but has little relevance in the overall picture. In fact a loss may be better for Cal and the players, extra rest, preparation and not as much injury risk. Now I didn’t say I like it but it’s a fact.
All of our teams that have made runs in the NCAA tournament also played into the weekend of the SEC tournament. The extra rest and preparation after losing early on the SEC has never helped anything.

Possible I agree but you’re gonna end the SEC tourney on a loss anyway, right? History has shown we do better losing that championship game and not winning the tourney. Might as well lose now.
Like I said, never have we had a team lose this early in the SEC tournament and then made a run. All of our teams that have played deep into the NCAA tournament also played well and at least played to the championship game of the tournament.

This is what happens when you have a coach who openly acknowledges that he really doesn’t care about the SEC tournament. The players also get the idea that it doesn’t matter if their coach sees it that way.

And the fact that the fans DO care? Well, that doesn’t matter either. Because this is now the Calipari program …it no longer belongs to the people of Kentucky. The only thing that matters now is what he thinks matters.
Apparently, according to Lunardi, the loss yesterday in a tournament that means nothing to some, has cost the Cats a seed line. They have gone from a projected 3 back to a 4.

Just Cal or all the coaches that lost today?
Seems like when other teams lose it's this player or that player that's overrated but with UK it's Cal.
Parris won SEC COY but couldn't figure out Auburn as SC was routed twice.
Sometimes you just don't match up well.
I didn't think Cal did anything genius today or did anything heinous.
A different substitution here or there wasn't going to win the game.
I didn't think any UK player played an A game today.
When you play a team and you don’t match up well, you compensate with what you have. It happens all the time. We won 14 games in 1990 with probably the worst collection of players in history. We did things, we changed up defenses, we had a coach that actually tried. Fast forward to January 2024, we let one guy light it up on us, lose by 2 in OT nothing shameful. 2 days ago we knew we would see this team again. What did we do differently from the January game? NOFT. Players, especially younger players need to be coached. We looked like we sat around the lodge all week letting everybody blow smoke up our ass telling us how easy it was going to be to win the tournament, even though he doesn’t care about it. Did we change up on defense, try to double team, make any adjustments to try to deny the ball? Seriously, this guy honestly just does roll the ball out there and lets them play. Our offense amounts to dribbling around the perimeter then at the five second mark we drive to the basket for a circus shot. Nobody is taught how to block out, rebound, play defense, communicate, nothing. Im so sick and tired of watching his incompetence

For me it's as simple as the kids got way too much love after beating UT in Knoxville.
It's the same team but they came out flat.
Pretty much all of them even Rob and Reed.
We made a switch to zone last night and immediately gave up a wide open 3 and I mean wide open like someone was totally lost on where they to were supposed to be.
The OAD model is what gets you the roster you have.
One that fans and media alike have gushed over because of their high powered offense.
The generational poverty is a quote that's 15 years old.
Nothing wrong with the players being rewarded for their play and I will admit I grew up on and have lived most of my adult life with it being program first but that doesn't mean that's the way it SHOULD have been.
The 70's through the 90's was the "golden era" of CBB but the universities used the hell out of the players while the pot kept getting bigger and bigger for them.
I disagree with the cry that universities used players.

For playing at UK players got:

A free education worth somewhere around $100k+ my dad would have gladly been happy with IF I was a 5 star player at any sport.
The best medical care when injured.
Free help with grades, well, unless you're at UNCheat!!
Free food.
Nationwide exposure at what was the Gold Standard of college basketball.

And money. IF we think players weren't getting paid in some way we're delusional.

I disagree with the cry that universities used players.

For playing at UK players got:

A free education worth somewhere around $100k+ my dad would have gladly been happy with IF I was a 5 star player at any sport.
The best medical care when injured.
Free help with grades, well, unless you're at UNCheat!!
Free food.
Nationwide exposure at what was the Gold Standard of college basketball.

And money. IF we think players weren't getting paid in some way we're delusional.
Correct I mean look at Jeff and Stacy Sheppard, didn't play in the NBA but are doing just fine.

Just Cal or all the coaches that lost today?
Seems like when other teams lose it's this player or that player that's overrated but with UK it's Cal.
Parris won SEC COY but couldn't figure out Auburn as SC was routed twice.
Sometimes you just don't match up well.
I didn't think Cal did anything genius today or did anything heinous.
A different substitution here or there wasn't going to win the game.
I didn't think any UK player played an A game today.
When it happens with different players every year, whose fault is it?

More than anything I hate that the losses (especially in the SECT) have become so common that it isn’t shocking or nearly as upsetting to me. Cal has gotten it to the point that a win against a true top level opponent is more unexpected for me. 😢😢😢

It's never been a barometer for NCAA tourney success.
We won it in '16 then lost to IU in the second round.
Bama was dominate in last years SEC tourney then lost second round.
The Vandy team that knocked off our '12 championship team flamed out in the second.
LOL why do people keep spelling ''dominant'' as ''dominate''.

Last edited:
LOL why do people keep spelling ''dominant'' and ''dominate''.
I’ve never gotten either. So many people here don’t seem to understand the difference between those two words. And the weird part is I rarely ever see that mistake anywhere else, but constantly see it on this board.

Not exactly a ringing endorsement of the Kentucky public school system.

Reactions: RunninRichie
I’ve never gotten either. So many people here don’t seem to understand the difference between those two words. And the weird part is I rarely ever see that mistake anywhere else, but constantly see it on this board.

Not exactly a ringing endorsement of the Kentucky public school system.
I thought I was going crazy. Even had to look the words up to make sure I wasn't going crazy.

Jeff did play in the NBA although not much. I actually went to a playoff game between the Hawks and Pistons in Auburn Hills that Jeff played in.
You are correct my apologies, for some reason i thought he went straight overseas for a few years

Reactions: gojvc
Does anyone know why the SEC didn’t have a tournament between 1952-1979?
The main reason was the NCAA only allowed one team from each conference to play in the NCAA tournament. Most conferences wanted their best team, the regular season champion to represent them in the NCAA tournaments. As far as I can remember the ACC was the only major conference that had a tournament. The NCAA tournament expanded and started letting more than one tea from each conference and all the conferences went to a post season tournament for more money

I thought I was going crazy. Even had to look the words up to make sure I wasn't going crazy.

Always been like that since the day I first joined this place all those years ago. I long ago learned to just ignore it.

But it is odd, nowhere else is that particular mistake made more frequently than here.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Just imagine how many points St. Peter’s would have won by if we’d beat Vandy…..They’d rolled us bad. Anyone can play your hypothetical game.

He's paid a king's ransom to win games, period. He's also paid that ridiculous amount of money to maintain and grow the program's statute/success. Flaming out in embarrassing fashion in both the SEC and NCAA tournaments year after year is not acceptable. Excellence is about competing every game, not picking some games and saying: "I don't give a damn whether we win, lose, or even play well..."

If you want mediocre, got root for Louisville or Virginia or some such.

This is what happens when you have a coach who openly acknowledges that he really doesn’t care about the SEC tournament. The players also get the idea that it doesn’t matter if their coach sees it that way.

And the fact that the fans DO care? Well, that doesn’t matter either. Because this is now the Calipari program …it no longer belongs to the people of Kentucky. The only thing that matters now is what he thinks matters.
When did UK athletics "belong to the people of Kentucky"? Never did. You aren't thinking clearly there.

However, there was a time when UK's basketball coach understood the important cultural role of UK basketball in the state and tried to better the program.

When we lose now, the team is too young, or fans expect too much, or players didn't do what Cal said. There is always a lame, stale excuse.

I give due credit to Cal for being an elite recruiter. He still is. But Cal does less with more. Every year now, his teams massively underachieve their talent level. This was not always the case. But it has clearly been the case since 2015-16. Because he can't win big with superior talent, he has adopted new narratives such as-

The SEC Tournament doesn't matter

$billions in NBA contracts for former UK players

Young team (What about Reeves, Mitchell?)

But the object of the game is to win. We lost at home to Gonzaga, SCar, FL, and NC-Wilmington. We lost twice to TX A&M.

We know this team is capable of playing elite basketball because we saw them break down and blow out Auburn, AL, and TN. But we begin every game with a disadvantage because Cal refuses to start two of his best players. The usage of our personnel is irrational, and the refusal to make defensive adjustments has killed our season. If anyone still believes this is a FF team, they are delusional. This isn't the players' fault. It is on Cal. It is foolish to argue otherwise. Believe your lying eyes.

Well, they can beat excellent Tennessee and Auburn teams on their own home court. They can beat a likely No. 1 seed like North Carolina. We know this because they did it.

Nobody in the country has more raw talent and depth than we do. We can easily beat anyone when our heads are on straight and we’re focused, motivated and commit to playing defense. But, unfortunately, this team takes too many nights off where it doesn’t choose to do those things.

It starts and ends with the coach. Calipari cannot get players focused on the team long enough to string wins together. He came dangerously close to blowing 2012, and had it not been for the lockout he would have zero titles in history because he teaches the exact opposite of what a winning recipe is. He’s enamored with convincing players to join him. He loves recruiting. He is not a coach in the least.

He brought his major in college, business marketing, into college coaching. He’s just not a real authentic coach. And we’re paying for it.

Reactions: KYExtemper and UK90
When did UK athletics "belong to the people of Kentucky"? Never did. You aren't thinking clearly there.

However, there was a time when UK's basketball coach understood the important cultural role of UK basketball in the state and tried to better the program.

When we lose now, the team is too young, or fans expect too much, or players didn't do what Cal said. There is always a lame, stale excuse.

I give due credit to Cal for being an elite recruiter. He still is. But Cal does less with more. Every year now, his teams massively underachieve their talent level. This was not always the case. But it has clearly been the case since 2015-16. Because he can't win big with superior talent, he has adopted new narratives such as-

The SEC Tournament doesn't matter

$billions in NBA contracts for former UK players

Young team (What about Reeves, Mitchell?)

But the object of the game is to win. We lost at home to Gonzaga, SCar, FL, and NC-Wilmington. We lost twice to TX A&M.

We know this team is capable of playing elite basketball because we saw them break down and blow out Auburn, AL, and TN. But we begin every game with a disadvantage because Cal refuses to start two of his best players. The usage of our personnel is irrational, and the refusal to make defensive adjustments has killed our season. If anyone still believes this is a FF team, they are delusional. This isn't the players' fault. It is on Cal. It is foolish to argue otherwise. Believe your lying eyes.

Take issue with the first part. Yes, this is essentially the people’s program. It’s always been seen that way and anyone, from coaches to players, have said as much for years. This is a public university, essentially being the states program.

Reactions: bigbluedon and UK90
He's paid a king's ransom to win games, period. He's also paid that ridiculous amount of money to maintain and grow the program's statute/success. Flaming out in embarrassing fashion in both the SEC and NCAA tournaments year after year is not acceptable. Excellence is about competing every game, not picking some games and saying: "I don't give a damn whether we win, lose, or even play well..."

If you want mediocre, got root for Louisville or Virginia or some such.
Mediocrity is my favorite, lol. Blah, blah, blah, we all want UK to win, your thoughts bring nothing to the table.

Like I said, never have we had a team lose this early in the SEC tournament and then made a run. All of our teams that have played deep into the NCAA tournament also played well and at least played to the championship game of the tournament.
SEC tournament is a good barometer for:
How focused a team can get,
How well they've grown as a team throughout the year,
How offense is executed, & how D is played,
How well a coach handles match-ups and makes the in-game adjustments
How a team has learned to handle the pressure moments during a game -- the big stage.

All of these things and more.... So.... not lookin' very hopeful for March Madness... more like another March sadness.

This is the first time since 1931 that UK has gone five years without making an SEC tourney final.

He also said UK ranks 13th out of 14 SEC programs in terms of overall SEC tournament wins since 2019.

The Cal cult has nothing left to debate from an oppositional perspective. Cal is a absolutely horrific head coach.

Cal also just dropped his 45th game in four years. Pitino only lost 50 total games at UK in 8 total years, and two of those seasons were spent on probation.

Awesome job, Cal! You're burning down the program while cashing those checks.
Beyond pathetic....how will the Cal apologists spin this? Yeah I know Cal's bank account tripled and all of the draft picks are millionaires...at least some are happy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT