ADVERTISEMENT

True Detective Night Country

Anyone looking forward to this? FWIW, outside of Breaking Bad, nothing will ever top the first season of TD. I couldn't get into season 2, but 3 was decent enough. That first one though just had IT. Great characters and storyline.
Agree. The 1st Season of TD has to be one the Top Season Series. Watched 1st Episode of Season 4 last night and really enjoyed it. I have always liked Shows set in the Extreme North with extended darkness of winter.

So far so good. Delving into the supernatural aspect like season 1 had. I wish it would've stuck with the disappearance the whole time though. It had some pointless scenes that added nothing to the story. This still looks like it's going to be good, though. I'm in.

So far so good. Delving into the supernatural aspect like season 1 had. I wish it would've stuck with the disappearance the whole time though. It had some pointless scenes that added nothing to the story. This still looks like it's going to be good, though. I'm in.
Indeed. Jodie Foster adds another element to the "good guys".

Fun fact: Series filmed in Iceland.

I really liked S1 and it's a top 5 or 6 show of all time for me, but I was a bit disappointed they backed away from making a truly transcendental show that fully embraced the weirdness and instead opted for the best "cop buddy duo" show with an inbred white dude as the big bad. (I get there was a larger conspiracy.)

Last edited:
Reactions: AustinTXCat
Nothing good comes from there. Main exports:

1) Volcanic ash
2) Herring
3) Björk
One of my friends has been there twice. He's an excellent amateur photographer and the photos he's taken there are stunning. It's on our list of places to see in the next few years.

One of my friends has been there twice. He's an excellent amateur photographer and the photos he's taken there are stunning. It's on our list of places to see in the next few years.
A fine place to visit, sure. But I refer you to my previous post, sir! 😋

Anyone looking forward to this? FWIW, outside of Breaking Bad, nothing will ever top the first season of TD. I couldn't get into season 2, but 3 was decent enough. That first one though just had IT. Great characters and storyline.
I just subscribed to HBO Max. Should I watch seasons 1-3 before watching TD Night Country?

I’ve been an avid detective story fan all of my life and the TD series made me sign up with HBO to see it. Also, I like Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson. I hope they find out that they’re brothers.

I just subscribed to HBO Max. Should I watch seasons 1-3 before watching TD Night Country?

I’ve been an avid detective story fan all of my life and the TD series made me sign up with HBO to see it. Also, I like Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson. I hope they find out that they’re brothers.
You don't have to. Season 1 is some of the best TV ever made. Be prepared to want to binge it.

Watch season 1 of TD, then Mare of Eastown, then The Night Of

Bjork is awesome.

Season 1 was something else. I'll probably let a few weeks stack up so I can binge it.

Reactions: rudd1
You don't have to. Season 1 is some of the best TV ever made. Be prepared to want to binge it.
Now having binged Season 1, I have to agree. McConaughey and Harrelson are the two best actors of our time and they made this series spellbinding.

“What’s scented meat?” is just one of the lines that made me laugh out loud.

How about Seasons 2 and 3?

Last edited:
Now having binged Season 1, I have to agree. McConaughey and Harrelson are the two best actors of our time and they made this series spellbinding.

“What’s scented meat?” is just one of the lines that made me laugh out loud.

How about Seasons 2 and 3?
S2 and S3 aren't as good but are both solid. S2 gets a worse rap than it deserves b/c it followed and is measured against S1. The plot gets a little convoluted. FWIW, I think S2's theme song was far better than S1's, which didn't really jive with the content.

Grading them on a scale of 1-10, with 10 being the highest, I'd say:

S1- 9.5

S2- 6.5

S3- 7.5

Last edited:
S2 and S3 aren't as good but are both solid. S2 gets a worse rap than it deserves b/c it followed and is measured against S1. The plot gets a little convoluted. FWIW, I think S2's theme song was far better than S1's, which didn't really jive with the content.

Grading them on a scale of 1-10, with 10 being the highest I'd say:

S1- 9.5

S2- 6.5

S3- 7.5
I only got to 3 episodes in S2. It had a tough act to follow indeed. S3 was better than I thought it would be. Some good stuff in there. I'm curious how S4 is gonna be tied to S1. Some easter eggs throughout the first episode.

I only got to 3 episodes in S2. It had a tough act to follow indeed. S3 was better than I thought it would be. Some good stuff in there. I'm curious how S4 is gonna be tied to S1. Some easter eggs throughout the first episode.
4 is gonna have ties to 1? Well, I would assume it deals with Rust then, no? He said he was raised in Alaska and when he went undercover when taking time off to find Ginger he told everyone he was going to Alaska.

Anyway, watched the 1st episode. Kinda feels different but Nic Pizzolatto also isn't writer/director on this one

Reactions: BC_Wader
4 is gonna have ties to 1? Well, I would assume it deals with Rust then, no? He said he was raised in Alaska and when he went undercover when taking time off to find Ginger he told everyone he was going to Alaska.

Anyway, watched the 1st episode. Kinda feels different but Nic Pizzolatto also isn't writer/director on this one
I forgot about that. I was eluding to the spirals that maybe it has some connection to the yellow king. S4 does have a different feel but there was enough creepiness to keep me interested.

S1 E3.....Love the church scene under the tent where Marty and Rust argue about religion. Marty arguing on behalf of religion, while Rust adamantly against religion.
Interestingly MM religious in real life...WH is not.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT