ADVERTISEMENT

True Detective Night Country

I held off for a while as it looked a little shaky an woke.

Gotta say best season since 1. 2 1/2. Eps in

I held off for a while as it looked a little shaky an woke.

Gotta say best season since 1. 2 1/2. Eps in
Episode 5 was a hell of an episode. Didn't realize this season only has 6 episodes total. Hope the finale is longer than the normal time allotment.

This season has issues. Some of the timing/pacing of events is odd. Originally, there was gonna be a separate timeline during the Annie K murder and investigation. Those elements have now been jammed into the current timeline, resulting in clunkiness. Also clunky is much of the dialogue between Danvers and Navarro.

Lastly, Clown will be happy to know that, based on the most recent episode, it looks like it's trending strongly to a mundane explanation for everything, as opposed to a stronger supernatural influence.

I've liked this season thus far but haven't loved it. It might work better on a binge since it's a short season and for an episode per week, things do move a bit slowly. I kind of wanted more out of Foster. It feels like anyone could have played that character. No one has ever said that about season one. Still though, there's something about the Alaskan locale that feels special in a way. You just don't get that feeling with the typical LA, NYC, Chicago, or Boston show.

Reactions: entropy13
I've liked this season thus far but haven't loved it. It might work better on a binge since it's a short season and for an episode per week, things do move a bit slowly. I kind of wanted more out of Foster. It feels like anyone could have played that character. No one has ever said that about season one. Still though, there's something about the Alaskan locale that feels special in a way. You just don't get that feeling with the typical LA, NYC, Chicago, or Boston show.
I agree. Fosters character is unlikeable. Could’ve been played by anyone.

Reactions: Catemus
Have enjoyed this Season but mainly because of the Alaskan setting. Just something about shows in Alaska and the long days of darkness I have always liked. Considering it only 6 episodes there is a lot of awfully slow moving scenes that could have been used for other things. They going to have to cram a lot things in the Finale

I keep having high hopes for this show, but it's been a mixed bag since Season 1. Overall, the entire thing has been pretty mediocre, if you wanna know the truth. It's had some good acting performances, but the story lines fall flatter then pita bread. They need to just take this horse out and shoot it already...

With Succession gone, I'm hanging on for dear life until Severance Season Two finally gets here.

I thought it was pretty good. Danvers and Navarro kept me interested longer than I was expecting.
Jodie Foster is still pretty damn good, even with a very unlikeable character.

Still missed some stuff like:
POSSIBLE SPOILERS
What scared the Caribou at the beginning?
What was the deal with the orange?
Was ol boy killed or suicided at the end?
Did Navarro have to vanish?

Last edited:
Reactions: BigTyrone
I thought it was pretty good. Danvers and Navarro kept me interested longer than I was expecting.
Jodie Foster is still pretty damn good, even with a very unlikeable character.

Still missed some stuff like:
POSSIBLE SPOILERS
What scared the Caribou at the beginning?
What was the deal with the orange?
Was ol boy killed or suicided at the end?
Did Navarro have to vanish?
Good points. And what did that dumb logo signify? We saw it in the first series and many many times in the fourth.

When Danvers and Navarro were in the ice cave, they looked up at what appeared to be a huge fossil in the shape of the logo, with ribs and everything.

I thought the finale was a huge letdown. The first 5 episodes were good, the finale was not.

Had to go read some articles on the hidden meanings...time is a flat circle, etc which ties back to season 1 and Rust talking about the light winning at the end of season one looking at the stars and how the night season ends in this one.

Overall kinda sloppy bc it was so short, no real serious character development.

It was certainly watchable but likely something I'll never go back to. I've said this before but it might've worked better if you binged three episodes one night and three the following night, or two, two, two. The verdict is in and we're just not going to get something as good as season one again unless you let someone like Tarantino, Fincher, Nicolas Winding Refn, or David Lynch take control.

Reactions: Catemus
Agree with a lot of what others have written. Some elements in the final simply strained credulity.

Spoiler alert:

My favorite part was when Jodi Foster was dying of hypothermia, barely clinging to life and Navarro decided to sit her next to a shitty fire wrapped in blankets instead of just turning on the truck they drove to town and turning on the heater.

Spoiler alert:

My favorite part was when Jodi Foster was dying of hypothermia, barely clinging to life and Navarro decided to sit her next to a shitty fire wrapped in blankets instead of just turning on the truck they drove to town and turning on the heater.
It did require a suspension of disbelief.

True Detective needs to be taken out to pasture. It's mostly been crap.

It's hard to believe they can't find better writers/showrunners.

Reactions: drawing_dead
Aside from Alexandra dadario’s tits, season 1 of true detective is the most overrated show of all time.

The entirety of the series has been overhyped.
The story line, and writing (for the most part) are as thin as chicken broth.

Per the above article:

"Night Country ranks as the most watched season of True Detective, topping the first season of the anthology with 12.7 million viewers across multiple platforms."

More people tuned in from start to finish as well. Again, thought this season was decent but HBO isn't letting López walk away from a hit.

Per the above article:

"Night Country ranks as the most watched season of True Detective, topping the first season of the anthology with 12.7 million viewers across multiple platforms."

More people tuned in from start to finish as well. Again, thought this season was decent but HBO isn't letting López walk away from a hit.
Rankings can be misleading. Perhaps there is nothing else worth watching on television these days. Really what show is competing against True Detective season 4 right now? Not many would prefer season 4 over 1.... I expect.

Rankings can be misleading. Perhaps there is nothing else worth watching on television these days. Really what show is competing against True Detective season 4 right now? Not many would prefer season 4 over 1.... I expect.
By rankings I think they mean ratings, as this season was watched by more than any previous season. Season one was years ago and snuck up on everyone. It's likely that (A) more people have MAX than HBO in a cable package years ago and (B) more are on social media and there's more podcasts now that focus on shows/movies so word gets around better in 2024.

Aside from Alexandra dadario’s tits, season 1 of true detective is the most overrated show of all time.

The entirety of the series has been overhyped.

Ya it was a while back but I remember it seeming very cool in the first few episodes and then turning into a bit of a convoluted and weird plot

First episode or 2 were pretty good, then things went down hill. Really disliked the season as a whole after seeing the finale. Felt like a giant bait-and-switch on what could have been a solid season.

Keeping the same writer/director in charge for Season 5 already makes me not care about it after seeing this season.

Ya it was a while back but I remember it seeming very cool in the first few episodes and then turning into a bit of a convoluted and weird plot

I felt the same way. Never felt the need to go back and watch it again.

It was fine. Certainly overrated on Catpaw.

And I still maintain The Leftovers, on the whole, is better than True Detective. Without spoiling anything, and you have to view it in context of the series as a whole, but when Matt (played by the guys banging Jodi Foster in the past season of true detective) is talking to “God” on the ship, it’s as well acted and gripping as anything in True Detective.

I just finished Season 1 and it was pretty good. I wouldn't classify it as the best season of any show I have ever watched but watchable. I have now started Season 2 and based on the comments have low expectations. 🤣

Enjoyed the first ep overall, even though the terrible CGI at the start almost had me turn it off. I wasn't really sold on Navarro's obsession with the prior case, but I'll try and keep up with it.

Just finished this and wow, was super disappointing. The writing was just bad, the story wasn't compelling and jumps around with no rhyme or reason, the characters were bland and unlikeable, and I laughed out loud a couple of times in the finale at how forced bad some lines and moments were. Seemed like it just got worse the further it went along. Bummer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT