ADVERTISEMENT

True Detective Night Country

Solid first ep. A podcast I was listening to said the creator of this story wanted a stand alone limited series like The Night Of but HBO decided to pair it with the True Detective name since nothing was being done with that property. Any possible connections to the first season were likely added after that decision. Give me anything creepy and mysterious that involves winter and Alaska though. Those two settings should be used more often.

Enjoyed the first ep overall, even though the terrible CGI at the start almost had me turn it off. I wasn't really sold on Navarro's obsession with the prior case, but I'll try and keep up with it.

I heard Tuttle name mentioned tonight and Travis Cohle. MM was Rust Cohle.
Yeah and that spiral logo was everywhere. The “corpscicle” gives this series a sci-fi horror feel in the vein of The Thing. Seems like Clark is a mad scientist who got tired of working with others.

Reactions: BC_Wader
Yeah and that spiral logo was everywhere. The “corpscicle” gives this series a sci-fi horror feel in the vein of The Thing. Seems like Clark is a mad scientist who got tired of working with others.
Curious to see how he is tied to Annie.

Reactions: Catemus
Thought episode 2 was better than 1. Seems like Travis was probably Rust's dad. Rust mentioned in season 1 that he lived for a time in Alaska with his survivalist dad who he said died of leukemia.

Tuttle Corporation could be tied to the Tuttle family/cult from season 1.

Lots of info packed into a single episode, but the delivery was well managed. Chief Danvers is doing her best to be an unlikable C U next Tuesday.

I must've missed that! Good episode tonight. The frozen bodies was wild. Like something out of The Thing.
The young deputy counted six bodies in the pile. He and Danvers concluded that Clark was one of the missing but they didn’t speculate about who could be the eighth.

I ran to the bathroom when Navarro was talking with Rose and totally missed the part where she said Travis' last name was Cohle. I wonder if Rust gets some sort of cameo in this. Would be pretty cool. They seem to be getting back to what made season 1 so good.

Finished S3. No spoilers, but man the 2014. 1980 to 1990 shifting was out of control. Definitely more “sleepy” than season 1

Finished S3. No spoilers, but man the 2014. 1980 to 1990 shifting was out of control. Definitely more “sleepy” than season 1
I just finished S2. It wasn’t the giant disappointment that I was expecting after S1 but it was sometimes hard to follow and was completely predictable. Thankfully it featured some outstanding actors. Colin Farrell was great but this wasn’t Vince Vaughn’s best effort. Actually, I think one of the best actors was Trevor Larcum who played Ray Velcoro’s son, Chad.

Last edited:
Season 4 (Jodie Foster) looks like some woke, feminist bullshit
I don't get that all from 2 episodes. Maybe the lesbian daughter but it adds nothing to the story really. Last nights episode was good. Can't wait to see what happens when those bodies completely thaw.

😊 You must have missed the scene where Danvers was getting pounded on a desk by her longtime semi-lover Ted Connelly, the regional chief of police. Foster puts her acting career ahead of her personal feelings. That’s why she’s an awesome actor.
I saw it. I guess with women being in the “alpha” positions of authority, and all the broads being ugly did it.

No wonder dudes get paid big bucks to work in Alaska. It’s a freaking kennel up there.

Last edited:
The Mention of the names Tuttle and Cohle in Ep2 takes this to another level!
Travis is Rusts dad.

Which if you go back to season 1 in the hospital Rust said when he was unconscious he was there with his dad and saw him...which if we're going the supernatural route this season it changes that meaning in season 1.

I have a fear that they gave us these Easter eggs thinking we would like it but wouldn’t expect a full connection. Problem is I now expect Rust to walk through that door.

Interesting episode last night, it definitely moving to the Supernatural side
I’ll have to know who it was that was “awakened” and scared the scientists to death before deciding.

Bringing in the “large animal” vet to take a look at the corpsicle was gold. Also, interviewing Lund, the only other survivor of she-who-was-awakened, was creepy.

If it does go the supernatural route, I’m sure it’ll involve the Iñupiat religion since there seems to be a heavy emphasis on it already and,

Traditional Alaskan Native religion involves mediation between people and spirits, souls, and other immortal beings. Such beliefs and practices were once widespread among Inuit (including Iñupiat), Yupik, Aleut, and Northwest Coastal Indian cultures, but today are less common. - Wikipedia

Reactions: entropy13
Just spitballing here, but I'm wondering if it's possible that the mine isn't actually responsible for the water going bad, but possibly whatever entity has "awoken."

If it goes the supernatural route, well... that is going to be very disappointing. That would be a monumental copout, and complete bullshit.
I read the original intent was that this would be a stand alone show. Similar to other HBO limited series that run for one season. But HBO wanted this to be a part of True Detective universe for whatever reason.

So knowing that, supernatural could certainly be the case even if it’s not really in past true detective seasons. Because, presumably, the story was already written before they were told this would be a part of True Detective. I think it also means that these similarities to season 1 are just Easter eggs and nothing more. Hope I’m wrong.

^ Correct. The showrunner is also a massive horror fan so if you expected a traditional True Detective experience with two detectives chasing a killer, sorry. Haven't watched last night's ep yet but there's a million other slightly creepy detective shows to watch. I'm glad horror fans/sci-fi fans/X-Files fans get one season of something like this.

^ Correct. The showrunner is also a massive horror fan so if you expected a traditional True Detective experience with two detectives chasing a killer, sorry. Haven't watched last night's ep yet but there's a million other slightly creepy detective shows to watch. I'm glad horror fans/sci-fi fans/X-Files fans get one season of something like this.
Was flipping around the other day and found a channel I didn't know I had. The channel is Comet and they have been playing the heck out of the X Files. Yes please!

If it goes the supernatural route, well... that is going to be very disappointing. That would be a monumental copout, and complete bullshit.
I don't think it's gonna go full supernatural. But the cosmic horror/deeper evil element was there in Season 1 as well. From what we've seen so far, looks like it's safe to say it'll play a larger role this season. To what degree, who knows? I think the nuts and bolts of the case will have plausibly mundane explanations good enough to satisfy the authorities, but there'll be something...deeper as well.

So, in sum, Clown, no need to call yourself a whaaaambulance. Yet.

• Haha
Reactions: HymanKaplan
I don't think it's gonna go full supernatural. But the cosmic horror/deeper evil element was there in Season 1 as well. From what we've seen so far, looks like it's safe to say it'll play a larger role this season. To what degree, who knows? I think the nuts and bolts of the case will have plausibly mundane explanations good enough to satisfy the authorities, but there'll be something...deeper as well.

So, in sum, Clown, no need to call yourself a whaaaambulance. Yet.
Fair enough. LOL

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT