ADVERTISEMENT

Trilly RUMOR (not verified)

How I read that was that Peevy leaked it to get himself into Mitch's position. Not that Cal had him leak it.
I just don't see how Cal trying to leverage UK could work, could he be that delusional (he was lucky to still have a job)?

I believe it all except peevy. I need more on that. That's unexpected. Plus if peevy was involved Jones wouldn't be as in the dark as he was.
Agree with you. Usually there's truth in between heavy rumors. My guess is Cal consulted him on a way to try and get leverage, but at the same time, if this was true, I'd never want Peevy to be the UK AD because anyone who has this much time to ignore improving their own program which sucks so badly it's resorted to celebrating Chris Holtmann's arrival is not doing their job. He's DePaul's AD, not Cal's agent and while you consult with friends, you don't have them meddle to this extreme.

Once Cal's media mouthpiece Seth Greenberg confirmed everything on the air-Cal realized he violated his contract and messed up. I also think the Calipari family was delusional in assuming everyone would be "scared" of letting him stay in the SEC and beat them. Nobody cares. He's 65 yrs old and mediocre. If he upgrades for Arkansas, good for them but this long game is a win for Kentucky because you saved $33M and now can move forward knowing that even if he stayed and improved, you wouldn't have him longer than 2/3 more years. I still think he'll never see a 3rd season when he gets to Fayetteville. They've been to the Elite 8 twice and Sweet 16 while Cal's got 1 NCAA win at UK.

Picture of the fans rallying behind Cal:

rows-of-empty-blue-seats-at-a-baseball-stadium-B4RFBW.jpg

One of the dumbest conspiracy theories I've seen on this board. And trust me, I've seen many.

Cal has to know he had almost no boosters on his side. And it's idiotic to think that Peevy is trying to return, and to do so he set up some sort of backdoor thing with the hopes that it would force Mitch to resign? WTF? This doesn't even make sense and wouldn't even make a good miniseries plot.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
I don't believe this story,about Peavy negotiating contract for Cal, maybe. The rest of it is ridiculous

Totally believable. Anyone who saw Cal out walking his dog down Richmond Rd can see that Cal is in a bubble of his own making. Too many Yes-men and adoring hangers-on that did not give him the real story of how the Basketball Bennies felt.

He could clearly have tried this.

One of the dumbest conspiracy theories I've seen on this board. And trust me, I've seen many.

Cal has to know he had almost no boosters on his side. And it's idiotic to think that Peevy is trying to return, and to do so he set up some sort of backdoor thing with the hopes that it would force Mitch to resign? WTF? This doesn't even make sense and wouldn't even make a good miniseries plot.
Dude: You make some good posts, and I don't mean to disparage this one ... but ...
Calipari is a narcissist. Some of us have learned a lot about narcissists in the last eight years. If you'll read up on narcissists, I think you might find that if the substance of this "conspiracy theory" is actually true, then it's not surprising that a narcissist would behave in that irrational manner. (But maybe not.)
Go 'Cats ... and, thankfully, sans CCC ! ! !

If I'd heard such BS, I sure wouldn't have repeated it, that's for damn sure. No effin' way this is true, lol.

Dude: You make some good posts, and I don't mean to disparage this one ... but ...
Calipari is a narcissist. Some of us have learned a lot about narcissists in the last eight years. If you'll read up on narcissists, I think you might find that if the substance of this "conspiracy theory" is actually true, then it's not surprising that a narcissist would behave in that irrational manner. (But maybe not.)
Go 'Cats ... and, thankfully, sans CCC ! ! !
I was talking more about the DeWayne and hopes to put pressure on Mitch to quit than I was all of the crap about Cal actually believing he still had big booster supporters. I'm sure Cal still believes he has rich buddies in KY, but they're just too nice to tell him that they really aren't his buddy. The NIL thing showed everyone that there wasn't money flowing like he had hoped. And, I'm sure Mitch had some mention in their 2-hour chit chat about boosters clamoring for a change.

Since it was posted by Richie it is probably BS. But like other Richie posts, he will run with it. It makes for a good story and no repercussions if he is wrong, as he usually is. Does this scenario even sound logical?

I don't believe it all is. I can see Peevy being the middle man though. And Cal is a big enough egomaniac to think everyone would try to keep him

The plan to oust Mitch is too Hollywood like
Cal is a Drama Queen. Never underestimate the size of his ego.

Reactions: Fox2monk
NOPE

Cal tried to leverage the Arkansas position to get guaranteed NIL money. Mitch said, "good luck in Arkansas".
I think this may be closer to the truth than the other. And once word got out, it violated his contract. Gave Mitch the out he needed. The man in his goodbye video did not look like a man that wanted to leave. He has been asking for more NIL and facilities for a while... Might have really tripped himself and did not leave himself an out.

Folks, we had people stay inside the vast majority of the time for over 2 years, wearing masks, spraying down groceries with lysol, standing on stickers in the store like dogs being trained, afraid to hug their loved ones and have get togethers, loved ones dying alone due to “safety protocols.” Anything is possible. Definitely believable to me. Cal is narcissistic, experienced, calculated, desperate, and smart. I hope this isn’t true but I wouldn’t put it past him. Nothing is too crazy anymore.
Keeping some space between yourself and your 80 year old grandma during a world wide pandemic is smart.
If true, what Cal did was not very smart.
Zero connection between those two scenerios.

I refuse to believe that Calipari is SO out of touch with reality that he thought UK fans would rally around him to try to get him to stay right now. That can't be true.
he probably thought it because he is so arrogant

Certainly the veracity of this should be questioned. That being said, is it really beyond the realm of belief that a narcissist like Cal could convince himself that this is a viable plan? He already thinks he's bigger than the school and program. Doesn't take a massive leap to get to this absurd idea from there.

well I can believe that Mitch's position as AD was pretty tenuous at best and I can believe Cal would want a power play for an AD he had zero relationship with

Just go back to Roy Williams at Kansas. He hated the AD, he won a national championship, and he told the AD it was time for him to go, the school agreed

then Roy said, eh...I don't like it here anymore so I'm going to UNC.

Coaches will do some shit like that.

Totally believable. Anyone who saw Cal out walking his dog down Richmond Rd can see that Cal is in a bubble of his own making. Too many Yes-men and adoring hangers-on that did not give him the real story of how the Basketball Bennies felt.

He could clearly have tried this.
Almost word for word what I told a fellow fan.

Cal lives in a small bubble surrounded only by people who will continually tell him how great he is and how wrong everyone else is that does not agree with him.

It is easy to believe that Cal was shocked at how upset the fans are with him. He just didn't think that was even possible.

Arkansas can stroke that big ego going forward. Thank God.

You know what. I actually believe this and Peevy should be the last person to get the job after Mitch is fired

I owe Mitch a MASSIVE apology if he did in fact stand up to Cal. Kudos to him.
No one knows for sure. 99% of what comes out on the net is fake just stupid people will read it. Most of anything written now is based on getting clicks not the truth. Because its UK news the bigger the lie the more clicks.

Folks, we had people stay inside the vast majority of the time for over 2 years, wearing masks, spraying down groceries with lysol, standing on stickers in the store like dogs being trained, afraid to hug their loved ones and have get togethers, loved ones dying alone due to “safety protocols.” Anything is possible. Definitely believable to me. Cal is narcissistic, experienced, calculated, desperate, and smart. I hope this isn’t true but I wouldn’t put it past him. Nothing is too crazy anymore.
You’re one of those people I see. Let me guess, we never landed on the moon either and Trump really is not a terrible person?

We would love for it to be true but it is so idiotic it had no chance to work, if true.

Makes for a good story, though. 🤣🤣🤣

Good point.

Keeping some space between yourself and your 80 year old grandma during a world wide pandemic is smart.
If true, what Cal did was not very smart.
Zero connection between those two scenerios.
Lmao. I hugged my grandma every chance I had during those times. Thankfully she’s still here and wasn’t lonely in those times

If anyone has ever gotten use out of a mulligan, no one tops what Mitch just accomplished.

Now, no more lifetime deals, and get a coach that wants Kentucky to be at the top of college basketball.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
Supposedly, Peevy drop the info (leaked the info on the talks between Cal and Arkansas) on purpose so Cal could use it as leverage against Mitch to stay at UK. It may be why it took an extra day for the Cal to Arkansas to become official, he was still trying to leverage Mitch into staying at UK. It is a wild story, but not that unbelievable, desperate people do desperate things. If Cal really did try that power move when he ZERO power, it says a lot about the state he is in. Lots of weird stuff going on, so I could see it being possible. Player meeting cancelled, announcement of his deal with Arkansas delayed, Mitch's press release moderately thinking Cal for his time at UK, followed by the little dig "We are working endlessly to hire at new coach who will support the interest of UK and the fanbase." Or something to that effect, it was definitely a dig at Cal, and saying he (Mitch) was in complete control of the narrative this time around.

Reactions: RunninRichie
I think Mitch is pretty predictable.

He is also more in touch with the fans that people think.

When Tubby left, Mitch singularly focused on a guy that could recruit and was crazy hard working, the knock against Tubby was being lazy, then when Gillespie fell thru - the pressure of the job turned him into a psycho, Mitch went after a guy who had the personality for the job and could develop relationships with the players.

Now? He wants a guy who puts the program first and will respect him as the AD.

does that sound like Hurley? well - first part probably, the latter, not so much. You're not going to bring in the hottest coach in basketball that was building a dynasty and keep him under your thumb.

But the guy coaching at a 7K arena in the middle of football country? That guy will do what you want him to do.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT