ADVERTISEMENT

Travis Branham has removed his crystal ball predicting DJ Wagner to Arkansas

So Wagner over Lanier and Robinson or if we can't get one of those? Shooting and making good decisions Chandler, Perry and Noah > Wagner. And anybody that hasn't been watching who Pope is recruiting for 25 it is a lot of guys that can shoot and score.
Wagner isn't coming back here. I think he's wanting a fresh start.

But since we're talking about development of guys....

Jaxson Robinson: 3rd year of college in the WCC
-Junior at BYU: 8.5 points, 38.6% FG, 34.3% from 3 on 5.4 attempts,3.7 assists to 2.9 turnovers, 2.9 rebounds, 68% Free-throw, 10.6 PER

Wagner: 1st year of college in the SEC
-Freshman at UK: 9.9 points, 40.5% FG, 29.2% from 3 on 3.3 attempts, 1.7 rebounds, 3.3 assists to 1.5 turnovers, 76.6% free-throw, 12.7 PER

DJ Wagner as a freshman was better than Jaxson Robinson was as a Junior under Mark Pope...but 1 year of Pope did wonders for him. You don't think Pope could turn DJ Wagner into a stud? DJ as a freshman is ahead of where Jaxson was in his 3rd year....and DJ is a million times ahead of Jaxson as a Freshman...

But here's a comparison....
-Robinson as a FRESHMAN was 28.6% from 3 on 2.0 attempts per game
-Wagner as a FRESHMAN was 29.2% from 3 on 3.3 attempts per game

I'm just saying....we hold DJ to a higher standard because of his rankings coming in to college....but we don't go back in time and judge Robinson for being below average his first 3 years of college.

Now do not spin this....I would rather have Robinson than DJ Wagner, but DJ is getting way too much hate for last year. Imagine DJ with an actual coach that would develop him and put him in situations to succeed? DJ isn't coming back here, but even if he did I'd be psyched about what Pope could do with him.

As he's aged he has 0 feel for who is playing the best and sensing momentum in a game. That's a very important and forgotten aspect of a HC and he just chalks it up to "everyone is so tough in the conference" which is pure BS.

The re-insertion of Tre Mitchell at the end of year was final nail in the coffin for the '24 team. Mitchell didn't show enough to earn any postseason minutes and the HC refusal to understand if he did want to play him-had to be as a small ball 5 man because he was terrible as a 4 man in the SEC was disgusting.
Cal's whole career he's been one of the coaches that's been ahead of the curve....younger, hungrier, etc. That was his best trait was sticking it to tradition and moving forward with the sport. But as you see....after 2015 he didn't see the 3-point revolution. He didn't embrace the portal. He didn't get assistants that could keep him up to date.

Sometimes you just age out....Steve Spurrier was like that. You saw that he was king at Florida. NFL humbled him. Came in and made SC a top 10 program which says something....but as you saw at the end his offense wasn't as innovative and he wasn't the high flying play calling guru of 2000 in 2012. But he knew it was time and left as soon as he realized it was all over.

Saying Cal cannot develop guards to be successful in the NBA is literally a ridiculous comment. It was time for a change from Cal, but arguably his absolute strength was getting guards ready for the NBA. Just ask Rose, Gilgeous-Alexander, Fox, Monk, Maxey, Murray, and. List goes on.

I just don't see Wagner being anything but a good bench piece in college. He's an undersized combo guard who's not great at playing either position. Poor shooter. Not explosive.

Reactions: KFuqua
NBA, NBA who gives a shit about the NBA. College basketball is not the NBA. Example wayne Turner, great college PG, great in HS, failed in the NBA. The NBA dream has ruined many a player who should have stayed 1-2 more years in college. Who knows DJ Wagner might be smart enough to stay and get better than just get drafted.

You know who cares about the NBA the most? Every top300 recruit in every single year. That's their goal. To play in the NBA, the highest level of the game, and make millions, maybe even 10s of millions.

DJ is the son of an NBA player and lived a good chunk of the "NBA life" (even if Dajuan didn't pan out, he made close to $10mil), he of COURSE has his sights set on the NBA. Does anyone really believe otherwise?

We need him to follow cal. Cal's biggest downfall is trying to make sure everyone eats instead of just playing guys to win. He already promised it to other guys too, so adding dj just means more log jam, juggling, and failure.

If he doesn't and cal is forced to only play a few guys, he will do at least ok. Granted he will still suck as a coach but talent will win him games.

I'd be OK with DJ coming back, I guess. But the second he shows that he hasn't progressed (which I believe he wont), then off to the bench he goes. And would he be OK with that prospect? And if we recruit him, which other guard that we currently have decides to jump ship?

Idk, risk verses reward. I'm not upset at all if DJ goes elsewhere. Does that thought of him blowing up intrigue me? Sure does. But I think there's a lot of ways this goes wrong.

Me too I wanted him back, I’m sad none of last years roster considered returning.

Sad, but not surprising. Cal was gracious about leaving in public aside from the one tweet where he said "oops" to Mitch about Kentuckys coaching search. I think that one tweet gave away his arrogant attitude. Cal hates Mitch and resents our fans. We know it is true because we lived through this and saw the evidence. So every one of our former players would look to Cal for advice, and you know he privately slimed Kentucky. It would be naive and contrary to Cal's behavior to think otherwise. That is how we know why none of Cal's players came back. More than anything, that hurts the players because some of them would have been better off staying. But I agree it is better to put it behind us.

Saying Cal cannot develop guards to be successful in the NBA is literally a ridiculous comment. It was time for a change from Cal, but arguably his absolute strength was getting guards ready for the NBA. Just ask Rose, Gilgeous-Alexander, Fox, Monk, Maxey, Murray, and. List goes on.
But those guards you just named could have went to the NBA under any good coach.

Another thread full of gold

Grown men calling players lazy with zero evidence

Dj was hated on from the first media timeout. Meanwhile, Sheppard was anointed as a god when he won us a game at the end… but when Wagner basically won us the at Florida game… crickets.

It’s actually eye opening that no one here really noticed we never became the team we were before his injury. But by god most here could count the hairs on reeds head.

But those guards you just named could have went to the NBA under any good coach.
This is dumb and just being a hater. What about Herro, Booker, Reed and about 10 other guys?

I mean, if Cal doesn’t develop NBA players then who does?

Oh this is interesting...

If I'm Cal, I'm not exactly loving the idea of DJ running the show again. This guy is FAR from that peak he was once at, which was a unanimous #1 recruit out of junior high, and pretty much held onto that #1 spot the rest of the way.

I have no idea if that's what is happening here, though.
I don't know, if he stays healthy he could have a very good sophomore seasom

Reactions: Fox2monk
I still wonder if Cal really did intend to push Antonio out the door and didn't care if he returned...

Because I will say, Cal did prioritize Dilly and I think Cal would've loved a Dilly/DJ/Edwards....but Antonio coming back changed plans....and then it showed Cal prioritized DJ/Edwards and pushed Dilly out for Antonio. Instead of just playing the best he had...he just played his top ranked guys and his returning senior. He thought with so much talent...who cares. But it turned out Dilly/Reed were his best guys....

Cal did have a good eye to prioritize getting Dilly....either him or Orlando....

Had Cal just not pushed to get Bradshaw/Edwards....and just got a portal big....last year would've been so much more dominant.

Sad, but not surprising. Cal was gracious about leaving in public aside from the one tweet where he said "oops" to Mitch about Kentuckys coaching search. I think that one tweet gave away his arrogant attitude. Cal hates Mitch and resents our fans. We know it is true because we lived through this and saw the evidence. So every one of our former players would look to Cal for advice, and you know he privately slimed Kentucky. It would be naive and contrary to Cal's behavior to think otherwise. That is how we know why none of Cal's players came back. More than anything, that hurts the players because some of them would have been better off staying. But I agree it is better to put it behind us.
I had not heard that, but it's no surprise that cal U would do something like that.

Another thread full of gold

Grown men calling players lazy with zero evidence

Dj was hated on from the first media timeout. Meanwhile, Sheppard was anointed as a god when he won us a game at the end… but when Wagner basically won us the at Florida game… crickets.

It’s actually eye opening that no one here really noticed we never became the team we were before his injury. But by god most here could count the hairs on reeds head.
Reed was a UK legacy who was better than advertised and DJ was a Cal legacy who was less than advertised. Reed had a lot of flaws but then he was supposed to. DJ didn't excel at any one thing. He was supposed to.

Reed was a UK legacy who was better than advertised and DJ was a Cal legacy who was less than advertised. Reed had a lot of flaws but then he was supposed to. DJ didn't excel at any one thing. He was supposed to.
That has nothing to do with randomly accusing the kid of being lazy and all that garbage.

Oh this is interesting...

If I'm Cal, I'm not exactly loving the idea of DJ running the show again. This guy is FAR from that peak he was once at, which was a unanimous #1 recruit out of junior high, and pretty much held onto that #1 spot the rest of the way.

I have no idea if that's what is happening here, though.
Yeah, if I'm guessing, I say it's probably a combination of issues. I guarantee Calipari wants a one and done in his first season at Arkansas. And who is the most obvious choice? Boogie Fland is really his best possibility to be one and done. What are the chances Fland comes off the bench?

I think...
1. Fland has already been promised the starting job.
2. DJ wants assurances he will start before he signs.
3. DJ may also want to get paid, significantly, for his services.
4. Cal has already spent way too much money to get Aidoo to sign on. He may not be able to afford DJ's asking price.
5. DJ and Fland starting together doesn't make much sense. DJ's shot is broken and Cal knows it. Fland is a better shooter, but not good enough to start at the 2.

I don't think Cal is nearly as gung-ho about DJ as he was last season. We all watched DJ start nearly every game while 2 lottery picks sat the bench. DJ had his shot. What are the chances Cal is gonna repeat the same thing? Sit the better player because of a promise made off the books? I bet Cal refused to promise DJ the starting job and DJ knows he could likely start elsewhere. I wouldn't be shocked if he doesn't choose the Hogs. No way he returns to UK, either. So, it's likely a name school that needs a pg badly.

I think...
4. Cal has already spent way too much money to get Aidoo to sign on. He may not be able to afford DJ's asking price.
5. DJ and Fland starting together doesn't make much sense. DJ's shot is broken and Cal knows it. Fland is a better shooter, but not good enough to start at the 2.

It's 3. Saban said he was leaving because it's all kids care about after the rule change

Now that the dust has settled, he just wasn't a good PG last year, and maybe one of the weakest ones under Cal. He's on the Harrow/Hagans tier for PURE PG skillset (Yes, I get DJ could be a slasher at times, or a better than average defender as the season went on).

But he shot under 30% from the 3, just 40% from FG, 75% ft shooter.. 3 assists, 1.5 TOs.. just not a good communicator, facilitator, or a leader.

I also don't really buy into the injury thing.. he was playing like this ALL season. The injury didn't help, but I'm not sure if he was healthy, we were all the sudden going to get a better version of him.
And he shot something like 60% from layup range, too. That's unacceptable.

Yeah, if I'm guessing, I say it's probably a combination of issues. I guarantee Calipari wants a one and done in his first season at Arkansas. And who is the most obvious choice? Boogie Fland is really his best possibility to be one and done. What are the chances Fland comes off the bench?

I think...

I don't think Cal is nearly as gung-ho about DJ as he was last season. We all watched DJ start nearly every game while 2 lottery picks sat the bench. DJ had his shot. What are the chances Cal is gonna repeat the same thing? Sit the better player because of a promise made off the books? I bet Cal refused to promise DJ the starting job and DJ knows he could likely start elsewhere. I wouldn't be shocked if he doesn't choose the Hogs. No way he returns to UK, either. So, it's likely a name school that needs a pg badly.

Cal and Arkansas are in deep with 6-8 russian combo guard Egor Demin as well. That could also be what DJ is waiting on.

Reactions: IL Wildcat
Maybe we're overthinking it. He'll go where he gets the most NIL money.
I thought that Jerry Jones and Tyson chicken was bankrolling NIL at Hog Slop City. Must have been what the Internet is great at. Fake news. I guess they dont want DJ. Pope could make him a AA. and he only plays 20 minutes a game.
You know who cares about the NBA the most? Every top300 recruit in every single year. That's their goal. To play in the NBA, the highest level of the game, and make millions, maybe even 10s of millions.

DJ is the son of an NBA player and lived a good chunk of the "NBA life" (even if Dajuan didn't pan out, he made close to $10mil), he of COURSE has his sights set on the NBA. Does anyone really believe otherwise?
And how many of those 300 have a legit chance after playing one year? 1200 every 4 years is the real number which make it nuts in a life based in reality. NBA is a easy con game played by owners and agents.

I thought that Jerry Jones and Tyson chicken was bankrolling NIL at Hog Slop City. Must have been what the Internet is great at. Fake news. I guess they dont want DJ. Pope could make him a AA. and he only plays 20 minutes a game.

And how many of those 300 have a legit chance after playing one year? 1200 every 4 years is the real number which make it nuts in a life based in reality. NBA is a easy con game played by owners and agents.

Does't matter whether it's 60, 150, or 5. That is the goal for these guys, and it IS an attainable goal if they put in the work and make the right choices. Divencehnzo was barely a top100 recruit, and hes making millions in the NBA, and about to make even more.

My point is that for the #1 recruit in his class, for basically 5 years running.. DJ's plan wasn't to get his degree and go work for an insurance company. His goal was to make millions in the NBA, and I'd say that dream was even MORE on the forefront of his mind becuse he Dad had that very same career path.

My guess is that DJ is already not thrilled at the prospect of another year in college.. as a year ago, he figured he'd likely be hearing his name called on draft night a few weeks from now, signing an 8-figure salary. I think hes going to want the absolute best situation/minutes/touches that will get him back to the draft in a year from now.. and that's not something we really HAVE to have on our team IMO.

This is dumb and just being a hater. What about Herro, Booker, Reed and about 10 other guys?

I mean, if Cal doesn’t develop NBA players then who does?
I was reminded during the NBA playoffs just how many great players have come through our program during Cal’s tenure. It’s also painfully evident that he should have won more with all that talent.
Not winning at least a couple of more titles in 15 seasons when the half the NBA all-stars are your former players is coaching malpractice.

Reactions: Pygmy Sasquatch
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT