ADVERTISEMENT

Top potential portal transfers (running list)

would like Cal to take a look on this one
Really interested to see what happens with this kid. First team All Big 12 is nothing to sneeze at. Really impressive shooter and scorer but not really a true PG. At 6 foot even he isn’t very big. Maybe a good pairing with Cason who could be the PG on offense for Nijel to be more of a 2/CG. Cason then having the size and toughness to guard the 2 while Nijel guarded the 1 on defense.

Really interested to see what happens with this kid. First team All Big 12 is nothing to sneeze at. Really impressive shooter and scorer but not really a true PG. At 6 foot even he isn’t very big. Maybe a good pairing with Cason who could be the PG on offense for Nijel to be more of a 2/CG. Cason then having the size and toughness to guard the 2 while Nijel guarded the 1 on defense.
Him and Cason would be a good pairing and could interchange

Assuming Tyty and Sharpe gone, but Wheeler stays even if role diminished. How many PG/SG/Wing-guards do we add?
Compared to this year, that would mean losing Mintz, Grady, Tyty, & Allen. And at the moment replacing with Wallace & Fredrick

I'm thinking 2. 1 PG, 1 SG/Wing-guard
Could make the case to add 1 each of all 3 (i.e. Molinar, Pack, Shannon).
If so, would Pack make the cut (I like him, but can we do better, and would we consider him a 1 or a 2?).

Reactions: kl40504
Pack is probably going to be one of best scoring guards in the portal to me Kentucky should take him you know you are getting offenseive production with him, pair him with Wallace and maybe Shannon jr and you can make up for his defensive problems if he has any
If the kid can't play defense, he will get no love from CCC.

Pack, Molinar(If he doesn’t get drafted) and decides to transfer, and Shannon would be the best gets IMO. At least for those announced right now. I’d like to see all 3 get offered and go after heavily.

Reactions: Catfan2226
I added Omier, 6'7 FR PF from Ark St. I don't think he is a good fit for us, as we are loaded at the F spot, and he's too short to be a C. He's a power guy, not an outside shooter. So his numbers may be what Brooks would do if played at a place like Ark St. But Sea of Blue had a link that ranked the top transfer portal guys by both offensive and defensive metrics, and he is in the top 5. Curbello is also top 5, and I definitely don't see it. 32% FG, 17% from 3. And it wasn't a 1 year thing, he made 16% from 3 the year before. I know he plays for Power 5 Top 20 Illinois, but if WKU brought him in I wouldn't even be too excited for them. Meanwhile the 2nd leading rebounder in the nation I think was ranked around 15th or so. But really any ADD to the frontcourt is only if (and we probably will) we lose Oscar, or if we lose 2 forwards (I think almost a lock we lose 1, as they can all see the logjam at the position). Now if we lost say Brooks and Hopkins, then I could see adding someone like Omier, although I'd prefer someone who can make 3's, but not many of those appear to be out there (updated the list with the best of those).

Last edited:
For that were thinking the Brazile kid from Mizzou wasn't much to consider

3. TREVON BRAZILE, SF: COMMITTED TO ARKANSAS; FROM MISSOURI (92)​

10993414.png
(Photo: Peter Joneleit, Getty)
Stats: 6.6 PPG, 5.1 RPG, 0.8 APG
Trevon Brazile broke some big portal news on Wednesday evening, announcing his commitment to Arkansas. Eric Musselman is the transfer whisperer and he got himself arguably the most naturally talented prospect in the portal. A 6-foot-9, long and athletic forward that is oozing with potential.

For that were thinking the Brazile kid from Mizzou wasn't much to consider

3. TREVON BRAZILE, SF: COMMITTED TO ARKANSAS; FROM MISSOURI (92)​

10993414.png
(Photo: Peter Joneleit, Getty)
Stats: 6.6 PPG, 5.1 RPG, 0.8 APG
Trevon Brazile broke some big portal news on Wednesday evening, announcing his commitment to Arkansas. Eric Musselman is the transfer whisperer and he got himself arguably the most naturally talented prospect in the portal. A 6-foot-9, long and athletic forward that is oozing with potential.
This ranking values how many years left a kid has. Personally for transfers, I value more what can you do for me your first year most.
This is just one ranking. There is another that has the Illinois SOPH can makes 32% (17% of his 3's) as a top 5 transfer (LOL!!!!). Even this one has him 17th, which is high.
But as for Brazile, it's not that he won't become a good player. He's solid. But he is not that different from what we have in Toppin (Toppin is who I think he most compares to) and Brooks, and Collins and Hopkins and Livingston. On a 1-5 rating scale, maybe they are all 3's, but so is Brazile.

Reactions: FitchandMurray29
This ranking values how many years left a kid has. Personally for transfers, I value more what can you do for me your first year most.
This is just one ranking. There is another that has the Illinois SOPH can makes 32% (17% of his 3's) as a top 5 transfer (LOL!!!!). Even this one has him 17th, which is high.
But as for Brazile, it's not that he won't become a good player. He's solid. But he is not that different from what we have in Toppin (Toppin is who I think he most compares to) and Brooks, and Collins and Hopkins and Livingston. On a 1-5 rating scale, maybe they are all 3's, but so is Brazile.
Just passing along info....that's all

Cal needs to keep Oscar, Toppin, Collins, Sharpe, Hopkins and Wheeler, but bring in a Brandon Knight style PG and another shooter for the 2.

Get Toppin, Collins and Hopkins on a summertime plan to become elite shooters and rebounders.

With all of that, I still don't think it’s enough to overcome Calipari's stubbornness and lack of in-game coaching. The team described above + the incoming recruits, is not as good as our 2010 or 2015 teams and Cal failed miserably with both of them.
He should put Wheeler in that shooting clinic too.

Isn't it weird that Cal gets credit for 'developing' Oscar but no blame for how Wheeler turned out?

Reactions: kyjeff1
I'm really frustrated about Cal not even reaching out to Pack.He seems to be what we need so is Cal planning on Wheeler being the starting point guard again?

Reactions: ukmelanie
I'm really frustrated about Cal not even reaching out to Pack.He seems to be what we need so is Cal planning on Wheeler being the starting point guard again?
How do we know he did not reach out to Pack? Maybe we did and he was not interested.

You think bacot might actually transfer?
I think it is unlikely. It's one thing to transfer as a step up. But UNC is at our Blue Blood level. Another reason to transfer is not playing as much as want, again not applicable with Bacot. So the only reason I see is if he doesn't get along w/ Davis.
But there was a long thread this weekend that the rumor is that he would. So I suppose it is possible, even if doubtful.

I think it is unlikely. It's one thing to transfer as a step up. But UNC is at our Blue Blood level. Another reason to transfer is not playing as much as want, again not applicable with Bacot. So the only reason I see is if he doesn't get along w/ Davis.
But there was a long thread this weekend that the rumor is that he would. So I suppose it is possible, even if doubtful.
My hope is that there is a player nobody is talking about that Kentucky has locked up or is interested in

Kenneth Lofton Jr just entered the portal. Will be a very high major target and who doesn’t appreciate a good chubby player!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT