ADVERTISEMENT

Top potential portal transfers (running list)

Lofton jr. of la tech in the portal. Skilled big man, but struggles w weight/conditioning.
I suspect he will be at Houston.

• Love
Reactions: john19
1. Nijel Pack, 6-0, 180 lbs., PG, Soph., Kansas State

A first-team All-Big 12 selection this past season, Pack averaged 17.4 points, 3.8 rebounds and 2.2 assists, while shooting 43.6% from 3-point range. He's an Indianapolis native, leading some to believe Purdue is the favorite, but other schools are involved.

i

2. KJ Williams, 6-10, 245 lbs., PF, Jr., Murray State

Williams doesn't plan on diving into his recruitment until he sees how the NBA draft process plays out -- although going to LSU to play for his former coach Matt McMahon is on the table. The Ohio Valley Player of the Year averaged 18.0 points and 8.4 rebounds.

i

3. Johni Broome, 6-10, 235 lbs., C, Fr., Morehead State

Broome has been a dominant force for two seasons, earning first-team All-OVC honors each of the past two seasons. Averaged 16.8 points, 10.5 rebounds and 3.9 blocks this past season, going for 32 points and eight boards against Murray State in the OVC title game.

i

4. Norchad Omier, 6-7, 232 lbs., PF, Fr., Arkansas State

The Sun Belt Player of the Year and Defensive Player of the Year, Omier was simply dominant this past season. Averaged 17.9 points, 12.2 rebounds, 2.0 blocks and 1.6 steals. Omier, who is from Nicaragua, shot better than 63% from the field.

i

5. Mark Sears, 6-1, 185 lbs., PG, Soph., Ohio
Committed to Alabama
Sears entering the portal and going to Alabama wasn't an overly well-kept secret over the last couple weeks, as Sears is heading back home next season. The first-team All-MAC pick averaged 19.6 points, 6.0 rebounds, 4.1 assists and shot 40.8% from 3.

i

6. Brandon Murray, 6-5, 214 lbs., SG, Fr., LSU

His numbers wouldn't usually indicate one of the most sought-after transfers, but Murray is long, explosive and has only been in college for one season, so there's a high ceiling. Makes plays at both ends of the floor. Averaged 10.0 points and 3.0 rebounds, also making 40 3s. Georgetown might be in the driver's seat.

i

7. Trevon Brazile, 6-9, 215 lbs., PF, Fr., Missouri
Committed to Arkansas
If there's one player in the rankings whose hype has been growing consistently, it's Brazile. Averaged just 6.6 points, 5.1 rebounds and 1.9 blocks but put up 10.4 points, 8.0 rebounds and 2.0 blocks in his final five games to finish the season. Pro potential.

i

8. Tristen Newton, 6-5, 190 lbs., PG, Soph., East Carolina

Newton was on a below-average East Carolina team, but made a name for himself with his playmaking ability. Earned second-team All-AAC honors. Averaged 17.7 points, 4.8 rebounds and 5.0 assists this season.

i

9. Terrence Shannon Jr., 6-6, 215 lbs., SF, Jr., Texas Tech

A big name in the portal, Shannon never quite got going this season after being suspended to start the campaign and then dealing with nagging injuries. But he put up numbers when healthy and has a track record of production in college. Averaged 10.4 points.

i

10. Fardaws Aimaq, 6-11, 245 lbs., C, Jr., Utah Valley

One of the most productive players in the country over the last two seasons, Aimaq averaged 18.9 points and 13.6 rebounds this past season. Two-time first-team All-WAC selection and two-time WAC Defensive Player of the Year. Don't expect a decision until May.

i

11. Andre Curbelo, 6-1, 175 lbs., PG, Soph., Illinois

Has one of the highest ceilings of anyone in the portal, but there's also a clear floor. Curbelo was fantastic coming off the bench as a freshman, leading to a ton of preseason hype. But he dealt with concussion issues and then simply wasn't effective on the floor. Averaged 7.5 points and 3.2 assists.

i

12. Jahmir Young, 6-1, 185 lbs., PG, Jr., Charlotte

A noteworthy addition to the portal on Thursday, Young was a first-team All-Conference USA selection this past season after averaging 19.6 points, 5.9 rebounds and 3.7 assists. Born in Maryland, he has a host of high-majors in pursuit.

i

13. Will Richard, 6-5, 195 lbs., SG, Fr., Belmont

After a stellar freshman season for Belmont, Richard has no shortage of suitors. He averaged 12.1 points and 6.0 rebounds on the season but finished really strong, averaging 14.8 points and shooting 37.5% from 3 in his last five.

i

14. Courtney Ramey, 6-3, 185 lbs., G, Sr., Texas

Likely has one of the highest floors of anyone in the portal. Started at least 20 games in all four of his seasons at Texas, playing under different styles and in different roles. Career 10.0-point-per-game scorer, shot 36.5% from 3 in four seasons.

i

15. Tanner Holden, 6-6, 185 lbs., SG, Jr., Wright State
Committed to Ohio State
Holden was a first-team All-Horizon League selection after averaging 20.1 points, 7.1 rebounds and 2.6 assists. Should be a versatile player for Chris Holtmann in Columbus after the departure of EJ Liddell.
ESPN Insider …this is how the top kids are currently ranked

Reactions: TOMCATS1990
Ramey might be the point guard we need. Wheeler can back him up
*Ramey can back him up.
I think Ramey would be fine if he's willing to come off the bench and play a role similar to Mintz.
I just don't think he's an upgrade at PG over Wheeler.
If you want to make the argument that you can't win a Championship with him at PG that's a fair debate that I don't exactly disagree with, but I think he's a solid-good College PG despite his shooting issues.

He played terribly at the end of the St. Peter's game, but I remember when people on this very board were ranking him near the top of Calipari's UK Point Guards.
You don't lead a Power-5 Conference in Assists Per Game (Top 3 in America) if you're a total bum.
"But his turnovers!"
He was 2nd in the SEC in Assist to Turnover Ratio behind only TyTy.
Wheeler should be our starting PG unless we find an obvious upgrade in the portal.

Kentucky has some guys but with the portal there will still be good players to enter so I get the wait and see approach from Kentucky but there are some guys in the portal right now Kentucky needs to go get

We are almost done with wave 1 of portal entrants. Wave 2 will be when guys talk to NBA teams and find out they are getting drafted. That wave may have better players. But yeah, there are 2-3 current guys in the portal I’d like to have.

Reactions: FitchandMurray29
We are almost done with wave 1 of portal entrants. Wave 2 will be when guys talk to NBA teams and find out they are getting drafted. That wave may have better players. But yeah, there are 2-3 current guys in the portal I’d like to have.
There’s usually a couple of guys who aren’t even on draft boards who end up coming back and transferring and some good players at that, Kentucky can find a good player from that group. I was also looking at draft board and the number of good college players who aren’t even close to getting drafted is crazy.

Kentucky has some guys but with the portal there will still be good players to enter so I get the wait and see approach from Kentucky but there are some guys in the portal right now Kentucky needs to go get
Yet we are somewhat handcuffed because guys like Oscar and Sharpe are on the fence as is Brooks for not hiring an agent.

Thats 3 roster spots that Cal could fill but with the indecision other teams are scooping up the prime portal players as UK sits and waits.

Not kool.

Yet we are somewhat handcuffed because guys like Oscar and Sharpe are on the fence as is Brooks for not hiring an agent.

Thats 3 roster spots that Cal could fill but with the indecision other teams are scooping up the prime portal players as UK sits and waits.

Not kool.
I get that but Oscar atleast looks somewhat promising he is returning but guys like Shannon jr and reeves are guys Kentucky needs to get

Looks like Kentucky is still in on reeves that’s good news
Yes, he would be one of my top 5 choices. But why would he even consider Nebraska? One of the worst choices from his list of 10-12 schools.

I have updated the list, but (anyone) feel free to shout out if missed someone.

Reactions: bigbluedon
Yes, he would be one of my top 5 choices. But why would he even consider Nebraska? One of the worst choices from his list of 10-12 schools.

He apparently has some relationship with a new assistant Nebraska recently hired. In an article recapping his Nebraska visit he mentioned taking at least one more visit this weekend. The article also highlighted that while there were a lot of schools expressing interest Reeves suggested a couple of them were showing more interest than the rest. Read into that how you will but it reads to me like the big boys call on him but not like some of the others. I also noticed Duke was on his original list of programs expressing interest but aren’t on the list currently.

Probably get as many shots as he wants at nebraska when I looked at his list the only legitimate ones I saw was UNC duke to tech and Kentucky and maybe Kansas I don’t remember if they were on there or not

Give me this kid please since they didn’t reach out to pack they need to reach out to him
Pretty sure the assist number was a mistake from Borzello, as ESPN had him at a (still respectable) 4.4 APG instead of 7.6, which would be crazy with his scoring numbers.
That aside, I hope we reach out to him.
Not nearly as down on Wheeler as many seem to be, and still think he should be our starting PG unless a clear upgrade emerges in the portal.
Well, this kid might be it.
Not sure how he is as a playmaker/beating his man off the dribble, but the shooting/scoring at the PG position is certainly there.

Reactions: westerncat
Pretty sure the assist number was a mistake from Borzello, as ESPN had him at a (still respectable) 4.4 APG instead of 7.6, which would be crazy with his scoring numbers.
Not nearly as down on Wheeler as many seem to be, and still think he should be our starting PG unless a clear upgrade emerges in the portal.
Not sure how he is as a playmaker/beating his man off the dribble, but the shooting/scoring at the PG position is certainly there.
In 2 games against Houston and 3 against Memphis, who both won at least one game in the tournament and were almost certainly the two best teams he played against in his conference;
He averaged 20.5 PPG, and 19.6 PPG respectively.

He is one the best pick and roll guards in the country and can score from all three levels and I don’t hate wheeler just think he should be a change of pace guard off the bench and be playing 30 minutes a game much rather have this Davis kid and have a offensive threat from the PG spot

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT