ADVERTISEMENT

Time to say on Edwards

Does not need to start. Start Dillingham or Reed or Burks.

Burks? LOL. Where did that come from?

Clearly our best alternative starting lineups (and by far our best overall lineups) would be the three guard sets (starting Reed or Dilly) with Reeves at the three. The next best alternative would be to try Thiero at the three after he comes back.

Burks ain’t even in the conversation.

Edwards doesn’t even look like he should be on the same court with these other freshmen we have. What’s crazy is that he’s MUCH older than all of them! No doubt, the dude has a terrible work ethic and thinks he can just cruise until draft night. He wouldn’t be in my top 8 in the rotation. Maybe not in my top 9 and the dude starts! 🤣

Last edited:
No No No. keep bringing them off the bench They almost always provide a spark for our team.
This is a really dumb reason to not be starting one of our best lineups.

There’s no logical reason we need both of our stud guards coming off the bench, especially when one of our starting wings had been such a glaringly inferior weak link all season. Just one is enough to provide a “spark.”

Not sure the obsession with "who" starts. The lineup is working and Edwards needs to continue to develop and Rob and Reed are killing it off of the bench. They are also getting minutes in the 30s while Justin is not.
Don’t you think the beginning parts of each half matter? Why handicap yourself with poor starts game after game if you know how to fix it? Might not’ve mattered as much when we were playing mid major patsies, but that’s the sort of thing likely to bite us in the ass when things get serious in March.

And Edwards can still “continue to develop” if his minutes are coming off the bench. And, hey, he can always be put back in the starting lineup if he starts playing better.

There were two games where it looked like Edwards' minutes were being cut, but now over the last 6 games he's averaging 20 minutes. I know Thiero is out, but that's still too much. We should be aiming to get our 4 guards around 30mpg each when possible, Edwards backing up the 4 while Thiero is out and playing the 3 when we have fouls/fatigue/whatever keeping more than one guard on the bench. And if/when Thiero is back, he should get most of Edwards' minutes. Nothing against the kid, he may turn out to be a great player (and I wish I could even hope we see a sophomore year here), but he has a way to go and he's clearly not one of our 5 best players (with Ugo coming along and if Thiero is available, there's a good argument he's our 9th most valuable player this year).

I'm not sure we're on the same page here. I said Edwards wasn't nearly as good as Tyty was, just made a comparison in their soft bodies and the fact that I think neither showed NBA ability in their freshman year.
My bad I totally misread your post. Sheesh.

Reactions: STL_Cat
Really wish we could get Adou back! I never would’ve thought that Edwards would be this bad, halfway into the season. I thought he’d at least be solid. Be able to defend well, grab boards, move the ball, score a little bit, etc.

We can’t count on him to do anything positive. Seems every time he tries to make a move toward the basket or pass off the dribble, he fumbles it or throws it away. Dude has stone hands to boot. I’m just shocked about how bad he’s really been.

We’re talking about a guy who several outlets had going number ONE in the draft! Everyone had him in their top 3/5 for the draft. He probably wouldn’t get drafted even in the second round. It’s incredible to even think about. Wish Cal would end this BS charade of JE starting. It’s nonsense.

It was worth starting Edwards to see if a lightbulb clicked, but I think we’ve reached that limit. He’s not good. His not as in shape as the other players. His athleticism was either overblown or hindered by him not being in the best shape. He doesn’t have a feel. He even looks shorter than listed. He shouldn’t be getting more than 12 min maximum.

LOL Edwards is TyTy Washington now...hahahahahaha
That’s not what he said. In fact, he went out of his way to distinguish in all caps that TyTy was the “MUCH” better player.

You seem to have problems with reading comprehension, it’s something I’ve noticed in quite a few of your posts. It’s like you interpret posts as you want them to be, instead of as they’re actually written.

Reactions: NociHTTP
No No No. keep bringing them off the bench They almost always provide a spark for our team.

I remember looking subpar when Wagner was out because it messed up the rotation. However they want to do it, reed and rob need to play together. They're great on their own, but they have an incredible synergy that's wasted by playing them separately

It was worth starting Edwards to see if a lightbulb clicked, but I think we’ve reached that limit. He’s not good. His not as in shape as the other players. His athleticism was either overblown or hindered by him not being in the best shape. He doesn’t have a feel. He even looks shorter than listed. He shouldn’t be getting more than 12 min maximum.
This x 2. We are now in the second half of the season and playing against much harder conference opponents and in tough road game environments. It is not in question that we are digging ourselves out of a hole each game with JE in the starting lineup. At some point, it will become clear what Cal's priority is. Is it this guy's hurt feelings, promises, and/or coach inertia, or is it the team developing further and getting itself hardened for the tournament. Just like for Whitney, there comes a time when it's obvious the team must move on with maximum minutes to the players showing the most skill and passion. Life is hard, especially playing at the highest D1 level. The starting lineup at Kentucky is not a place to figure it out for long, It amazes me some of you all think of Kentucky Basketball like pee-wee football with participation trophies and juice boxes. There's a place for that, but it's not here.

Last edited:
Reactions: DSGTCAT28
Kid has a lot of upside hopefully his confidence will grow its all in his head

Man…..I said during the offseason that Edwards would be a stud and he was the freshman I was most confident in.

Nobody on this site ever admits when they’re wrong, so here I am.

We are halfway through the season and…..well. Id rather have Mark Coury in his spot.

Kid has a lot of upside hopefully his confidence will grow its all in his head
I mean…does he? High school tape aside, has he done anything this year that makes you feel he has enormous upside?

If you look at JEs year and Thiero’s freshman year, blind to the rankings, you’d see much more potential in Thiero. I’m sorry for JE, it’s just true.

Reactions: CincyUKFan
This is a really dumb reason to not be starting one of our best lineups.

There’s no logical reason we need both of our stud guards coming off the bench, especially when one of our starting wings had been such a glaringly inferior weak link all season. Just one is enough to provide a “spark.”
There is a reason, the boss wants to do it this way.

There is a reason, the boss wants to do it this way.
That's a stupid reason. Cal implied a huge role to Edwards on the recruiting trail, and Cal is trying to get him going so he can be a OAD.

Edwards starting has nothing to do with tactics, strategy, or winning. It has everything to do with implied promises and present recruiting.

Neither of those are real reasons to start him anymore at this point. He's had his chance. 2 months and change is more than enough time to prove he deserves a starting spot.

That's a stupid reason. Cal implied a huge role to Edwards on the recruiting trail, and Cal is trying to get him going so he can be a OAD.

Edwards starting has nothing to do with tactics, strategy, or winning. It has everything to do with implied promises and present recruiting.

Neither of those are real reasons to start him anymore at this point. He's had his chance. 2 months and change is more than enough time to prove he deserves a starting spot.
Ironically, the more Cal plays Edwards, the further his draft stock falls. He’d be better off shutting it down or having one of those invisible injuries.

Starting the dude just exposes him as the weakest link and even non-UK observers are perplexed as to why Dilly and Reed are behind this guy.

Last edited:

Again, your opinion means jack squat and Cal has a lot more inner workings of the team than you or I. I’ll tell ya what’s stupid, some of you constantly whining and bickering about minutes and a lineup. Can’t ya just enjoy the ride and leave the coaching to the coaches. I’ve been very pleased with Cal this season. However I’ve not seen you contribute anything other than whining.

Again, your opinion means jack squat and Cal has a lot more inner workings of the team than you or I. I’ll tell ya what’s stupid, some of you constantly whining and bickering about minutes and a lineup. Can’t ya just enjoy the ride and leave the coaching to the coaches. I’ve been very pleased with Cal this season. However I’ve not seen you contribute anything other than whining.
I don't even bother reading your post when I know you're going to be in your irrational mode, which is usually determined within your first couple words of a response.

I've already said I'm done with Edwards. Hasnt shown me anything. I wouldn't be nearly as harsh if I believed he was going to return for another year or two. Development takes time. Dude hasn't earned the minutes Cal was giving him. Glad Cal has started scaling that back.

Well no shit he needs to keep playing. There is talent there. He just doesn't need to be starting. He does nothing to help push out a lead, but he can do a lot to build the other teams lead.
We need Adu back,his being out is exposing Edwards BBall IQ.I think that's Edwards problem.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
I agree. I don't know who was responsible for it, but I thought the mix of minutes among all who played in the Mississippi State game was very good. Edwards started and had the second-least minutes for the game. IMHO, somebody did an excellent job of distributing the minutes in that game ... but I'm sure it wasn't CCC's doing.
Go 'Cats ! ! !

This board has let Calipari convince them that it doesn't matter who starts really. And it's ok to let a guy averaging 8ppg, 45 from the field, and 26 percent from the three to start. Lol good lord.

Reactions: UKNothinButNet
Who starts absolutely matters. Don't buy that horseshit from Cal. You want to get off to the best start possible and set the tone/pace of the game. Humiliate them early

Reactions: RunninRichie
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT