ADVERTISEMENT

Tic Toc on Big Z

Well, let's look at a bit of evidence before jumping off the bridge:

When a player is admitted to the school, and applies for eligibility (which all athletes essentially have to do), a 45 day window starts in which the NCAA says is basically a grace period where you can participate in team practices even without a ruling on eligibility. Once that 45 day period is up, team practices must stop for the player.

Knowing that, we just assume that the eligibility was applied for on a certain day, and we are now past the 45 day window. However, Cal said Monday on his call-in show that Big Z was part of a group of players playing the 4 and 5 in practice. You will remember this, because everybody was upset over the first part of the comment, which was playing Burks at the 3.

Now that means 1 of about 4 things. Either Cal misspoke about him participating, Cal has decided he no longer plays by NCAA rules, The kid has been cleared but not announced, or the application wasn't filed when everybody thought it was. Let's just assume he hasn't been cleared yet, and I doubt that Cal is just giving a big middle finger to the NCAA (nor do I think Mitch would allow it). So that leaves us with Cal misspeaking, which while possible, not sure what his motive would be for doing that, so I tend to think that isn't the case. And that leaves us with, his application for eligibility likely wasn't filed when everybody thought it was. Honestly, are we even sure it has ever been filed? As I would guess they skirted the rules a bit, probably let him in school on something other than an athletic scholarship (because until you have been on athletic scholarship, you don't count as an athlete), may have filed the paperwork, maybe not, and he is technically a student manager right now. The money he recieved for playing probably isn't as big of an issue as his coursework (and the fact that he has to be enrolled with a full time course load before he can be eligible).

It would be my opinion, just from looking at things from the outside, that they probably got him enrolled, but didn't have enough course work for him to be considered full time. They have probably just actually submitted the paperwork recently to apply for eligibility for the second semester, where he probably has a full course load. Probably if it is going to happen, it would happen in the next couple of weeks. As for the conspiracy that Cal just went and got a player to quiet the masses, he didn't go after Big Z til after UGO got hurt, and after Canada. He didn't even commit until August 1st. At that point, UK only had a single scholarship left anyway.

Reactions: WildcatFan60
cal knew it would be a process and a long shot. He was trying to quiet the talking heads and fans who said we needed another big. He whiffed on Dickerson and found what he could to distract us.
According to Pilgrim, UK passed on the foreign guy who went to UCLA (Mara ??) , because they didn't think he would be cleared (he just was in the last 2 weeks). They went with BigZ because they were "very confident" he would be eligible. And the fact that Calipari fought with UK admissions for 2 months to get him enrolled, tells me they were confident and really wanted it. (not to appease us fans LOL)....

For those sayings he won't be eligible because its taking so long, I think UK is right at the 45 day window.. They could NOT submit him to the NCAA until he was enrolled in mid-October. That UCLA guy I mentioned (Mara), took about 60 days.

He may or may not be... but 99% of those on these boards have no idea. The fact that UK had him warm up last weekend, seems like they are still hopeful, and the NCAA must be allowing him to still practice. Bradshaw was talking about him today, and how much fun he was, and they were best buds. Maybe UK got an extension from the NCAA on allowing him to practice. Seems like that happened once before. Or maybe the NCAA has cleared him, but not until the end of this semester, which is this week. You never know...

Regardless, I am a half full kind of person... I think he gets eligible before Christmas. In reality, it hasn't made much difference, as long as he gets cleared soon. Getting him up to speed, and past all the illness issues, he probably wouldn't be playing much right now anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: mcwildcats04
I have from day one never believed he would step on the floor. I still believe that. He will become "Z Freedom" and join Enes Freedom on the talk show circuit.

UK can apply for an additional 45 day of practice for him will the ncaa is deciding what to do.

You didn’t fix anything or add important context. Guy couldn’t pass an entrance exam until well after a month after the fall semester started. Never in your life until this year would you have expected an already professional player and entrance exam flunky to be cleared to play basketball without a hitch.
Yes, I did. You insinuated that he wasn't smart enough to pass the entrance exam(s). It was very specifically the English portion he had trouble with which, learning a new language in a short window, is not easy for almost anyone.

Yeah ok…. Hey guys I’m noci lmafo, says the person with another team in their screen name. Go Herd!!!

My daughter played basketball for Marshall and I’ve probably been a UK fan longer than you’ve been alive.

You seem upset, let it out, don’t hold anything back.

Maybe it's a UK thing. Maybe he didn't get clearance to play this semester after all. He will be magically cleared in January when the next semester starts. Maybe.

Big Z has won an appeal to continue to practice. Obviously a good sign. Dave Baker said ruling can come within hours or weeks. The staff remains very very optimistic.

Reactions: westerncat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT