ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts from Orlando

Rembrandt90

Senior
Jun 25, 2018
Everyone saw the game. We played without 5 starters and some key backups, and we beat a team that was ranked #2 in the country at its high water mark earlier this season. At times, it wasn't pretty. I thought we missed Dare Rosenthal a lot. Will Levis was sacked 6 times but still managed to pull the game out of the fire in the 4th quarter. It has been called a gritty win. I thought it was one of the gutsiest football performances I have ever seen.

I have to give IA some credit. The Hawkeyes' defense was really tough, and their offense was better and more opportunistic than I expected. But at the end of the day, UK is 10-3 and Mark Stoops is rightly being hailed across the country as a brilliant program builder. Thank goodness for Stoops, Marrow, and Barnhart.

My family was in section 106, right behind UK's bench, surrounded by a sea of great UK fans. Blue everywhere. Coach Charlie Bailey's son and his family were seated in our section, as well as some players' families. A UK law student was the cheerleader for our section.

Josh Paschal, Octavious Oxendine, Clevan Thomas, Moses Douglass, Paul Rodriguez, and RJ Adams were in shorts on UK's sideline. OO was wearing a heavy leg brace. KD McDaniel, Jared Casey, and Nick Scalzo were suited up even though they are in the transfer portal. Scalzo was wearing a headset and communicating with our coaches. McDaniel actually played in the game. (Maybe he will stay?)

After the game, Austin Dotson spent a few minutes standing near the sideline looking up into the throng of UK fans in the stands, and I had the distinct feeling that the realization of having just played his final game in blue and white was hitting him hard.

To the eye, DeMarcus Harris, Quintin Wilson, Jamarius Dinkins, Martez Thrower, Trevon Morgan, and Justice Dingle appear larger than their listed heights and weights. Wandale, Oxendine, Adams, Kenneth Horsey, and Luke Fulton appear smaller than listed. Bully McCall, Luke Fortner, Darian Kinnard, and Jeremy Flax are huge human beings. Overall, our football team was noticeably bigger than IA's players. We were also faster. It is amazing what Stoops and Marrow have done with our roster.

It was really hot, sunny, and bright. Beautiful day for sure, but sweltering. The sunshine reflected off our players' silver helmets so brightly that it was sometimes difficult to look directly at them. The game time temperature in Orlando was 84, but the temperature on the field was >100. I have never been hotter at a football game, that's for sure. Now and then, the sun would pass behind a cloud and there would be a minute or two of relief. But I can't imagine how the players got through the game in that intense heat.

Now Coach Stoops has won four consecutive bowl games. Our coordinators just booked big raises, and it seems that our coaching staff is as stable as an SEC coaching staff can realistically get although Coach Sumrall must still be replaced. We are losing at least eleven senior starters, maybe thirteen, and we have not heard from Wandale or Rosenthal yet about their future intentions. A big retooling job lies ahead in the spring, and a big wave of transfers is bound to be incoming. Here we go again.

Last edited:
The UK fans who travelled to the game are VIPs as well. Showing a loyal alumni base is critical for a school wanting to be a national university. Iowa and Wisconsin are two schools known for loyal alumni networks. BBN Basketball loyalty is legendary but seeing all the blue in the stadium was great.

Our defensive front for the future looks good.
I will guess Rogers, OO, and Rybka probably draw the starting assignments, although Josaih Hayes will push Rogers. Dinkins and Saunders stood right in front of me yesterday, and they appear bigger than listed. Sam Anaele was a headliner recruit, and now is the time for him to show what he can do. We could use a transfer or two. It will be interesting to see how long it takes Deone Walker to make an impact.

The UK fans who travelled to the game are VIPs as well. Showing a loyal alumni base is critical for a school wanting to be a national university. Iowa and Wisconsin are two schools known for loyal alumni networks. BBN Basketball loyalty is legendary but seeing all the blue in the stadium was great.
The BBN always travels well. I was really impressed by our representation in Camping World Stadium yesterday.

On the way home as we speak. Some great perspective on the team and how we fare next year will depend on a few forthcoming decisions.

As for the Citrus Bowl experience? That stadium is awful. Concessions were terrible. The ran out of water at one of the bigger ones. Waits were stupid and selection awful. It’s just a stadium that lacks amenities. It would have been worse if it had sold out. The neighborhood around it is a ghetto. Oh, and the PA system was atrocious. I couldn’t understand a word of any announcement from my section. Maybe it was better in the middle. I was in the corner, but it all sounded like a garbled mess to me. Game was great though, then frustrating, then great again. Being able to add “then great again” to that statement shows how far we’ve come as a program shedding the curse.

Everyone saw the game. We played without 5 starters and some key backups, and we beat a team that was ranked #2 in the country at its high water mark earlier this season. At times, it wasn't pretty. I thought we missed Dare Rosenthal a lot. Will Levis was sacked 6 times but still managed to pull the game out of the fire in the 4th quarter. It has been called a gritty win. I thought it was one of the gutsiest football performances I have ever seen.

I have to give IA some credit. The Hawkeyes' defense was really tough, and their offense was better and more opportunistic than I expected. But at the end of the day, UK is 10-3 and Mark Stoops is rightly being hailed across the country as a brilliant program builder. Thank goodness for Stoops, Marrow, and Barnhart.

My family was in section 106, right behind UK's bench, surrounded by a sea of great UK fans. Blue everywhere. Coach Charlie Bailey's son and his family were seated in our section, as well as some players' families. A UK law student was the cheerleader for our section.

Josh Paschal, Octavious Oxendine, Clevan Thomas, Moses Douglass, Paul Rodriguez, and RJ Adams were in shorts on UK's sideline. OO was wearing a heavy leg brace. KD McDaniel, Jared Casey, and Nick Scalzo were suited up even though they are in the transfer portal. Scalzo was wearing a headset and communicating with our coaches. McDaniel actually played in the game. (Maybe he will stay?)

After the game, Austin Dotson spent a few minutes standing near the sideline looking up into the throng of UK fans in the stands, and I had the distinction feeling that the realization of having just played his final game in blue and white was hitting him hard.

To the eye, DeMarcus Harris, Quintin Wilson, Jamarius Dinkins, Martez Thrower, Trevon Morgan, and Justice Dingle appear larger than their listed heights and weights. Wandale, Oxendine, Adams, Kenneth Horsey, and Luke Fulton appear smaller than listed. Bully McCall, Luke Fortner, Darian Kinnard, and Jeremy Flax are huge human beings. Overall, our football team was noticeably bigger than IA's players. We were also faster. It is amazing what Stoops and Marrow have done with our roster.

It was really hot, sunny, and bright. Beautiful day for sure, but sweltering. The sunshine reflected off our players' silver helmets so brightly that it was sometimes difficult to look directly at them. The game time temperature in Orlando was 84, but the temperature on the field was >100. I have never been hotter at a football game, that's for sure. Now and then, the sun would pass behind a cloud and there would be a minute or two of relief. But I can't imagine how the players got through the game in that intense heat.

Now Coach Stoops has won four consecutive bowl games. Our coordinators just booked big raises, and it seems that our coaching staff is as stable as an SEC coaching staff can realistically get although Coach Sumrall must still be replaced. We are losing at least eleven senior starters, maybe thirteen, and we have not heard from Wandale or Rosenthal yet about their future intentions. A big retooling job lies ahead in the spring, and a big wave of transfers is bound to be incoming. Here we go again.
I went to school with Charlie Baileys son her in Lex at Crawford Middle. Also John Coopers son who I became good buddies with.

Reactions: Rembrandt90

After the game, Austin Dotson spent a few minutes standing near the sideline looking up into the throng of UK fans in the stands, and I had the distinction feeling that the realization of having just played his final game in blue and white was hitting him hard.

I’m almost certain I saw Casey playing some snaps also .

THANKS FOR THE GOOD WRITEUP AND FOR THE SUPPORT OF OUR TEAM

Reactions: Mr.Morris
Can’t believe that guy is still alive.
Miss Dancing Guy in Sec 18 at Rupp. No coincidence that when he got shut down attendance dropped and Rupp lost some atmosphere.
I took a picture with him onetime at the SEC and he asked for a “little contribution”. Celebrity

Thanks for the great color on the game. Was particularly interested in your take on player sizes...I always though Ox didn't appear to be a big guy from the perspective of the television. But he's really quick.

I was there, announced crowd was 50,000, and I think probably 60-40 UK way.

I was VERY impressed with Iowa defense as a whole, maybe the best we played all year except for Georgia. LaPorta is yet another NFL TE that Iowa has produced.

But if we had our full team, and they had theirs, think we are just the better team, would win 7 times out of 10.

Their fans were nice as hell, much more personable than Penn State's were.

Stadium is in a bad section of town, and the loudspeakers are inaudible, had no idea what they said at any point in the game.

Reactions: yoshukai
It was damn hot there on Saturday afternoon. I was in blue jeans and I sought shelter in the concourse several times, because sitting in the direct sunshine was almost intolerable. This was a next man up kind of game. We were sitting next to the mother of a player. She told us how many players tested positive Friday afternoon and Saturday morning. When I heard that, I thought we were in big trouble. But our guys got it done. Wandale Robinson showed why he is an AA. One player who impressed me was the Rback McClain. He did not have a very big impact, but his instincts and his quickness are high level. McClain will be a good player for us next year. Levis absorbed a lot of big hits from Iowa defenders but delivered when it counted. Demarcus Harris is a good looking young receiver, and Rybka looked good as Paschal's replacement. Iowa's defense was one of the best I saw this season. Our guys beat a really good team and got the W. Very proud of our team and our fans.

Miss Dancing Guy in Sec 18 at Rupp. No coincidence that when he got shut down attendance dropped and Rupp lost some atmosphere.
I took a picture with him onetime at the SEC and he asked for a “little contribution”. Celebrity
He picked up a teenage girl & damn near pitched her from high in the upper deck down to the lower

Should have been banned from ever attending any UK athletic functions for life.

He picked up a teenage girl & damn near pitched her from high in the upper deck down to the lower

I think that’s a bit of an exaggeration.

Reactions: Kybluedude

Yeah , danc guy was “cute” for awhile. Then …….ego .

On the way home as we speak. Some great perspective on the team and how we fare next year will depend on a few forthcoming decisions.

As for the Citrus Bowl experience? That stadium is awful. Concessions were terrible. The ran out of water at one of the bigger ones. Waits were stupid and selection awful. It’s just a stadium that lacks amenities. It would have been worse if it had sold out. The neighborhood around it is a ghetto. Oh, and the PA system was atrocious. I couldn’t understand a word of any announcement from my section. Maybe it was better in the middle. I was in the corner, but it all sounded like a garbled mess to me. Game was great though, then frustrating, then great again. Being able to add “then great again” to that statement shows how far we’ve come as a program shedding the curse.
I agree with all of this. Trying to find parking was sketchy af.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT