ADVERTISEMENT

This situation with sharpe is why fans are turning on cal.

Just another black mark on the once proud program. We are used to it by now. Some even happy with Cal only getting shooters and not top talent and the talent staying a few years like everywhere else does at other program. Self always has guys staying 3 years where we get for a year and wonder why self has also carried ku to the all times wins but some here wont wake up and smell the roses.

I understand where you are coming from. It’s sucks. I want him to play and win a championship FOR US.

but at the end of the day it’s Cals job to get these kids here. The top kids are coddled and sometimes that can get to their head. If a kid decides he doesn’t want to play that’s not on our coach

Reactions: Fox2monk
With Cal's track record with potential top 10 picks, do you believe he allows Sharpe to play next season when he is projected to be a top 6 pick? I DON'T.

Boggie came out and stated publicly that Cal REFUSED to allow him to return to UK even though he wanted to because he was going to be a top 10 pick.

No one trusts cal in these scenarios less than I do. Trust me. But I do think he has an interest in keeping his job. He has to see the writing on the wall with this situation. If we don’t win a title in March AND lose the best recruit we’ve had in years, surely he knows that’s the official point of no return. I can’t believe I, of all people on this board, am pushing blind optimism.

I understand where you are coming from. It’s sucks. I want him to play and win a championship FOR US.

but at the end of the day it’s Cals job to get these kids here. The top kids are coddled and sometimes that can get to their head. If a kid decides he doesn’t want to play that’s not on our coach
If he refuses to play have him leave.

Do you have anything to add or counterpoints or just potshots because you know I'm right, which is obvious.
You right about what…that you think Cal is the anti/Christ. You’ve contributed nothing but negativity since day one. When thy play great you down play it. You have an obvious hate agenda so how do you counterpoint that?

No one trusts cal in these scenarios less than I do. Trust me. But I do think he has an interest in keeping his job. He has to see the writing on the wall with this situation. If we don’t win a title in March AND lose the best recruit we’ve had in years, surely he knows that’s the official point of no return. I can’t believe I, of all people on this board, am pushing blind optimism.
I genuinely hope you are right and this is all for naught.

Drama drama drama. Not to mention the losing like we never lost before. After the worst losing season folks were amped to get the first elite recruit in some time. Now? We don’t know if he plays this year next year or the highly possible never. It is a vicious rollercoaster of revolving door of players and in since 2015 subpar UK results. I don’t know who’s being played, us, cal or what and I don’t care. I want stability in this program. As a life long fan 47 years I still own a share of season tickets I want consistency and stability.

instead we are set up for another offseason of unknowns about a roster that was shaping up to be worth another shot. We re gonna get into may after a likely early out and it’s gonna be is sharpe staying after 0 years or is he gone? Sitting on pins and needles. I speak for a lot of fans when I say this has by far worn the fan base thin. Apathy has set in. Our tickets. 4 rows up behind the visitor bench and scorers table. You’re on espn the entire game. 4 home games this year those seats have been empty. I even offered to give them to my buddy for a game and he said he couldn’t go he had something better to do. What was it? Go to dinner with his high school buddy. He could have taken him to the game but didn’t. I mean really? You don’t want seats on the floor basically? I’ve sensed where things were going for a while now but this year when I couldn’t give those tickets away the reality set in that fans have better things to do.

it’s unfortunate because UK basketball has been a way of life for central Kentuckians for generations. The love for it is passed down from grandpas to grand sons. Fathers to daughters etc. The apathy now though is palpable and the floor is about to fall out if this sharpe situation goes the way it seems to be developing.
How old are you? I lived through Tubby, BCG, and Joe B. We are like other major college basketball powers and don't win national titles every couple of years like college football teams do.. I've watched a lot of years with no chance to win a title and actually enjoy watching Cal teams at least having a chance most years.

You right about what…that you think Cal is the anti/Christ. You’ve contributed nothing but negativity since day one. When thy play great you down play it. You have an obvious hate agenda so how do you counterpoint that?
Well, except if you just red my posts from last night you'll see I was extremely complementary so your first point is demonstrably false. And look I don't like Cal, I don't hide it. But I think if you read this board today you will see that the significant majority on this board is on my side. Im not saying you can't like Cal, that's your right. This is not the hill I'd die on though in that argument. I think almost everyone has a problem IF this happens.

Reactions: Player2020
Just another black mark on the once proud program. We are used to it by now. Some even happy with Cal only getting shooters and not top talent and the talent staying a few years like everywhere else does at other program. Self always has guys staying 3 years where we get for a year and wonder why self has also carried ku to the all times wins but some here wont wake up and smell the roses.
This. Has to be one of the worst things I’ve ever read in here. Seriously? We have one of the older teams we’ve had in the Cal era and somehow you were able to spew that without choking.

You’re using self has an example to shame us? Lol. How many early flameouts does Self have in the tournament? How much cheating hasKU done? Enough to draw FBI attention.

That’s ridiculous. That’s a garbage post and you know it.

complain, complain, complain. If you can’t enjoy this season and be appreciative of the changes Cal made after last year, you are the problem. Not Cal. Give me a break.
This is the problem with turnover and no consistency. You always have an eye on the next season bc what’s in front of you is a 1 year deal. Cal created this culture of looking ahead. He’s recruiting in November getting next years roster together from scratch while it’s the beginning of this season. You blame me or a fan for that? I can enjoy watching games where I know we are building but with cal it’s one shot rinse and repeat always waiting for the next class.

Sharpe is the crown jewel of next years class. This isn’t about if he doesn’t play this year it’s about a player who could quite possibly be 0 and done. I think fans can accept if he doesn’t play this year but they will not accept it if he never plays.

Cheating Self who has choked tons in the Tourney. He has one title from 2008. You have to pick a better one then him. He is still under NCAA investigation. You must not keep up with college basketball.

Lol what?

I get what you guys are saying here BUT let me play the devils advocate here, you are a coach of a big time basketball program that just had its worst season in nearly a century. The number one player in the country tells you he wants to come play for you, What do you say” Come on down” is what you say. Then he tells you I can graduate early and join your team in January practice learn the system and have a huge jump next( which everyone knows will be your only year in college) What do you say, “ Come on down” is what you say. At the time this happened nobody KNEW he would even be eligible for this years draft.Granted there was always a suspicion that the NBA can do whatever its wants to as its draft rules are not etched in stone. Somebody tell me what Cal did that you would have done is his place. Now the NBA says he can play in the NBA next year and he will likely be a lottery pick. If he wants to go right away pray tell how you can stop him.
I have hated the one and done system since it was adopted here. It brought instant results but the cumulative effect over time has been devastating to,our traditions and our fan base. The entire culture of our program has changed. I realize many say that’s the way bigtime basketball is these days but in truth some other teams that haven’t adopted the one and done have been pretty successful One and done has produced only one title here, the traditional way has produced the same for teams like Virginia and Villanova. I personally don’t think Cal has changed his recruiting philosophy since he got here. Recruit the absolute best players you can and play em a year and get ready for the next batch. That’s why most come here not to play for UK but to prepare for their pro career. I don’t know Sharpe and I don’t know his motivation but my bet is that’s why he came here. Now he has a chance to go without ever playing. If somebody offered me a chance to make 20 million dollars at 19, your damn right I would take it. Will Cal be okay with it if he does, sure, did he create the system that makes it possible NO.

Reactions: Graham51 and AGEE11
Cheating Self who has choked tons in the Tourney. He has one title from 2008. You have to pick a better one then him. He is still under NCAA investigation. You must not keep up with college basketball.
You realize that Self beat Cal for that title in 2008 in one of the biggest chokes ever right? Also Wisconsin, Auburn, KState, WVU, Cal has had his share of chokes. Self has the same amount of titles as Cal and they both beat each other for their titles. They have both been investigated by the NCAA and Cal has already had two final fours taken away. However, after all that, Self is about to lead Kansas past us in all time wins while he's the coach at KU and Cal is the coach at UK, I'd say that's a pretty good comparison pick.

That’s why you say you come to Kentucky you play or go home. Now sharpe maybe he’s 100% dead set on playing next year. If so I applaud him. My problem is if he doesn’t. We’ve been sold that he can’t even go to the draft but now our staff says they knew all along. We were told he was a 2022 but he showed up the end of 2021. Players don’t get to pick and choose when to play. That attitude alone is a killer

Dammit... Is this the commercial where the one guy tells the boomers to not talk about leaving the game before they even get to the game? 'Cause that's some funny shiz right there. The op is merely tiresome.
The OP is FOS. If he couldn’t give away tickets in the fourth row he didn’t try very hard.

That’s why you say you come to Kentucky you play or go home. Now sharpe maybe he’s 100% dead set on playing next year. If so I applaud him. My problem is if he doesn’t. We’ve been sold that he can’t even go to the draft but now our staff says they knew all along. We were told he was a 2022 but he showed up the end of 2021. Players don’t get to pick and choose when to play. That attitude alone is a killer
What is happening is the perils of one and done,what may happen here is due to a system Cal has embraced, as long as he is here this kind of stuff will happen from time to time, it is the price of doing business in the culture that IS UK basketball right now.

What is happening is the perils of one and done,what may happen here is due to a system Cal has embraced, as long as he is here this kind of stuff will happen from time to time, it is the price of doing business in the culture that IS UK basketball right now.
It is 2022 not 2010. We have a team full of transfers. Cal appears to be working with whatever hand he is dealt as the rules change.

Reactions: chroix
Does anyone actually think cal doesn’t want sharpe to play or is not frustrated if he doesn’t?
Did Cal ALLOW Dejaun Wagner to play for him at Memphis when he was going to be drafted in the top 5????
Did Cal ALLOW any of his UK kids to return to UK if they were going to be drafted in the top 10?

So NO and NO!!! Did you forget this is a "Players First' program????? I didn't.

Play Sharpe. Damn the torpedoes!!

Did Cal ALLOW Dejaun Wagner to play for him at Memphis when he was going to be drafted in the top 5????
Did Cal ALLOW any of his UK kids to return to UK if they were going to be drafted in the top 10?

So NO and NO!!! Did you forget this is a "Players First' program????? I didn't.
Yeah, but if before Shaedon committed the plan was for him to train and prepare for next year I don’t see him wavering from that either. Kyle Tucker said he spoke with his mother and the plan remains unchanged and he’ll be at Kentucky next year. Shaedon said he’d be here next year. His trainer said the same. Have no reason to not believe them so far.

You realize that Self beat Cal for that title in 2008 in one of the biggest chokes ever right? Also Wisconsin, Auburn, KState, WVU, Cal has had his share of chokes. Self has the same amount of titles as Cal and they both beat each other for their titles. They have both been investigated by the NCAA and Cal has already had two final fours taken away. However, after all that, Self is about to lead Kansas past us in all time wins while he's the coach at KU and Cal is the coach at UK, I'd say that's a pretty good comparison pick.
Kansas may well have some wins vacated. Cal was never charged with wrong doing in those cases. Pearl had a show cause put on him. Cal has never been accused of cheating. He turned in Camby when he found out what he had done.

Yeah, but if before Shaedon committed the plan was for him to train and prepare for next year I don’t see him wavering from that either. Kyle Tucker said he spoke with his mother and the plan remains unchanged and he’ll be at Kentucky next year. Shaedon said he’d be here next year. His trainer said the same. Have no reason to not believe them so far.
If Sharpe plays next season he will be the FIRST player that Cal has EVER coached at ANY school to be ALLOWED to return as a top 5 pick to play college instead of entering the NBA Draft.

Do you REALLY believe Cal will let this kid play for UK next year and risk injury??? I don't.

Reactions: LowCountryCat
If Sharpe plays next season he will be the FIRST player that Cal has EVER coached at ANY school to ALLOW a top 5 pick to play college instead of entering the NBA Draft.

Do you REALLY believe Cal will let this kid play for UK next and risk injury??? I don't.
Would be shocked if Shaedon would be a top 5 pick. He’s got the build but this class is loaded with talent and it’s a big risk for an early pick on a kid that may not live up to the hype.

Also Cal did it because he wanted kids to be able to make money, but with NIL they’re making money as soon as they step on campus.

• Haha
Reactions: catben
Drama drama drama. . . . . It is a vicious rollercoaster of revolving door of players and in since 2015 subpar UK results. . . . . I speak for a lot of fans when I say this has by far worn the fan base thin. Apathy has set in. Our tickets. 4 rows up behind the visitor bench and scorers table. . . . . 4 home games this year those seats have been empty. . . . . I’ve sensed where things were going for a while now but this year when I couldn’t give those tickets away the reality set in that fans have better things to do.

it’s unfortunate because UK basketball has been a way of life for central Kentuckians for generations. The love for it is passed down from grandpas to grand sons. Fathers to daughters etc. The apathy now though is palpable and the floor is about to fall out if this sharpe situation goes the way it seems to be developing.
Respectfully ... UK basketball has been a way of life for ALL Kentuckians for generations. But with that said, I couldn't agree more. It's nothing short of a tragedy ! I share your sorrow, to the bone !

Drama drama drama. Not to mention the losing like we never lost before. After the worst losing season folks were amped to get the first elite recruit in some time. Now? We don’t know if he plays this year next year or the highly possible never. It is a vicious rollercoaster of revolving door of players and in since 2015 subpar UK results. I don’t know who’s being played, us, cal or what and I don’t care. I want stability in this program. As a life long fan 47 years I still own a share of season tickets I want consistency and stability.

instead we are set up for another offseason of unknowns about a roster that was shaping up to be worth another shot. We re gonna get into may after a likely early out and it’s gonna be is sharpe staying after 0 years or is he gone? Sitting on pins and needles. I speak for a lot of fans when I say this has by far worn the fan base thin. Apathy has set in. Our tickets. 4 rows up behind the visitor bench and scorers table. You’re on espn the entire game. 4 home games this year those seats have been empty. I even offered to give them to my buddy for a game and he said he couldn’t go he had something better to do. What was it? Go to dinner with his high school buddy. He could have taken him to the game but didn’t. I mean really? You don’t want seats on the floor basically? I’ve sensed where things were going for a while now but this year when I couldn’t give those tickets away the reality set in that fans have better things to do.

Awww, he got the apathy. Lol. I’m beginning to think most of our fans don’t have the balls to follow sports.

Why are you worried about the off-season? Don’t you know there’s a season going on right now ? Don’t you know that Kentucky is pretty good right now. Like not next year, but currently. And by the way, every team in America is now going to go through a revolving door of players every year. It’s the norm now. Whether it’s from freshman or transfers. Adapt or die. And clearly you choose the latter. So if you just don’t like the game anymore, old timer, then stop watching. But again, Kentucky has been fun and exciting this year. So maybe you should quit worrying and try to open your eyes and shut up and enjoy it . That’s all

i posted this in the other thread (we will have about 100 on this subject by weeks end)

minus 1 semester of an unused scholarship what does UK/Cal have to lose taking a chance on him

Half a dozen threads on this, but you have to start another one to add nothing but this maudlin, whiny nonsense?

Calipari took his best shot at the #1 recruit. He didn’t create the rules. If he didn’t go after Sharpe he wouldn’t be doing his job. If it doesn’t work out, he’ll still put a strong team in the floor.

Some of you people need to grow up, lose your sense of entitlement and face the reality that exists in college sports today. Or quit following the sport if it leaves you so bitter and emotionally crippled.
Are you okay with the scenario where Sharpe never plays here?

What happened to Wagner is why Cal tells kids if they are good enough to go they should and why we will probably get his son.

Reactions: AGEE11
What happened to Wagner is why Cal tells kids if they are good enough to go they should and why we will probably get his son.
AND is ALSO the SAME reason Sharpe will NOT play a MINUTE for UK.

DJ will play here IF the NBA doesn't change it's Player's Union rule that a kid has to be one year removed from GRADUATING high school. If the rule ends, DJ will ALSO be a top 5 pick and will NEVER play a MINUTE for UK either.

• Haha
Reactions: Nightwish84
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT