ADVERTISEMENT

Reed Sheppard Interview (Talks Cal, Pope, & Fans)

Your first two paragraphs are really out of left field, bizarre inflammatory things and over the top hyperbole meant to completely overshadow the whole post you were making. It’s almost like you’re just trying to start an argument but then posting the clip to try and act like you’re not flaming. Why did you even approach it this way? The internet is such an odd, and a lot of times horrible space.
OP is still sad Cal left. Because Cal was nice to him at a camp or something. This is him lashing out at fans.

Reactions: Montana81
Love Reed, he is Kentucky kid through and through and had a legendary season at UK. He will always be one of my favorites.

Some of you turned on Reed real quick after his decision to go pro and some will no doubt turn on him after this interview.

Below is an interview from Reed at the combine he has some interesting thoughts:

On Cal 3:25: “Coach Cal, to me, was the best coach in the world,” Sheppard said. “He was unbelievable to me and all the players.”

On Pope 4:05: “He's going to do great things. He's a really good coach and has really good players”

On Fans 6:05: He says that which shall not be uttered.......“The fans were nuts”

I wonder why you didn't timestamp the part where Reed said he'd continue to root for Kentucky.

Reactions: Montana81
Reed’s time here will be remembered fondly. National Freshman of the Year. 52% from three. Clutch free throws at Florida. Flipped the game in the second half at Arkansas. Game winner at Mississippi St.

And I’m sure he’ll be around the program for years to come.

Absolutely could have finished better. Absolutely could have enhanced his legend with a return. But he isn’t and will never be some also ran as far as most Kentucky fans are concerned.
Thanks, Aike. I needed a dose of your refreshing objectivity this morning !
Go 'Cats ! ! !

Reactions: Aike and ukfan1622
Reed is about at the same level as Ulis for me.

Both outstanding players who had to go pro when they did because their stock was at peak value. Both also had disappointing endings to their time here with the obvious from last year, and Ulis Murray team losing in the second round. It just stings extra when you have player made for college like Ulis or Reed and they are so good all year but it doesn't translate to the tourney and they leave. I don't fault either of them though.

I put Ulis way above Reed.

Ulis played 2 seasons instead of 1
Ulis went to a final four.
Won all 4 SEC titles in his 2 years.
Won SEC PoY
Won SEC DPoY
Won the Cousy Award.
Concensus 1st team AA
Current single season assist record holder

65-10 overall record
Along with Jamal Murray, dragged a team that lost 7 underclassmen to the draft to a share of the sec title and a 4 seed. (I thought Cal actually did a terrific job in 2016 considering he lost 7 of his top 8 rotation players). That team was almost all Ulis and Murray. And Murray unfortunately got shut down by OG Anunoby in the second round. Ulis played well that game. And it was against an arguably underseeded B1G regular season champion and rival IU. Reed choked in epic fashion in his last game against Oakland.

Ulis is way closer to being a legend than Reed. Ulis is arguably the best point guard to ever play here. Shepherd’s list of accomplishments pales in comparison.

Honestly it stung way more seeing Ulis follow Cal to Arkansas than Reed entering the draft. Staying around Cal at this point is only going to hurt Ulis growth as a coach. As evidenced by Calipari’s god awful coaching tree.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT