ADVERTISEMENT

This situation with sharpe is why fans are turning on cal.

I find it extremely ironic that in the middle of what’s shaping up as a great season, we have fans bitching about Calipari not caring about the program because of ….one kid who hasn’t played

There’s definitely a group here that cares more about Calipari than they do Kentucky. They just don’t own any mirrors.
False argument. He's not 'one kid' who hasn't played.

he's the top ranked recruit. This isn't a Dontae Allen thread and you know it.

You're so dishonest with your fake arguments.

Would be shocked if Shaedon would be a top 5 pick. He’s got the build but this class is loaded with talent and it’s a big risk for an early pick on a kid that may not live up to the hype.

Also Cal did it because he wanted kids to be able to make money, but with NIL they’re making money as soon as they step on campus.
Ah, so now Sharpe suxorz...that's what you're going with LOL

I'm lost on having a stud player that is eligible sitting on the bench

the kid can't play 5 minutes a game?

to me this is 100% on protecting the kids earning potential over helping UK win, which has been a real issue for awhile now at UK

play him, don't play him but don't BS the fans about him not being ready for the "pacing" of the college game with 30 point blowouts under your belt

rinse cycle and repeat

Last edited:
The anti-Calers are just looking for anything to complain about at this point.
15-3, 5-1 in the SEC, 4 straight wins, 2 straight wins on the road, ranked #12 in the Nation and have a huge op to go to #2 Auburn and shock the world and sniff the top 5.

Dont think this didnt break yesterday for a reason. UK has the team to beat Auburn tomorrow and alot of people dont like it and alot of people dont like Cal.

Meh, it’s kinda a win win…Sharpe is at UK, so if he leaves and gets drafted, another selling point for Cal to recruits, especially if he goes to the league and does well, which I’m assuming he will. If he decides to stay, he improves next years roster.

I kinda expect some Memphis transfers to end up at UK trying to get their draft stock back up! 😂😂

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! Mommy I want a cookie!!! WHAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

Cal has nothing to do with the situation with Sharp. Zero. Nadda. Zilch. This is 100% on the NBA players union and NBA itself. It’s funny when haters point to Cal on this. Makes them easy to dismiss as zealots grabbing desperately for anything to sling crap. Like an insolent toddler.

Reactions: Graham51
I have tried to read as many posts as I could; like one poster said, there are so many threads on this it is hard to keep up.
Many on both sides of this make good points whether some of you like it or not. In some ways this situation mirrors a lot like society in general. Society has taken a turn from what I will call "old values" to a much different direction. College sports is right there in this change.

Older UK fans like myself just do not like all the changes; we are not into this "one shot wonder" mindset. Older UK fans grew up getting to somewhat know their players and come Senior Night felt the sadness knowing they would be leaving.

One poster said something about coaches like Roy and K retiring due to this change; I agree 100%. Seems the fun as we used to know it has diminished in some ways. It is all about winning now, nothing else. Gotta have that top class, gotta have the #1 seed, gotta this, gotta that. UK has had many top classes but we have the same number of championships as Tubby and Coach Hall did without them too.

Coach Cal is not the culprit here; blame the NCAA and the NBA. They made it what it is.
It is a shame the way we are playing to have to deal with this. Like one said, we have too much drama. Why can't we just play and the fans just enjoy the ride?

Whether you agree or not, the shine is wearing off for many of us older fans. As you get older you do not feel entitled but more of a respect for traditional values.
Screw all this and let just beat the piss out of Auburn.

I agree with some of the sentiments as someone who has been a fan for 30+ years.

I also think we have to accept the fact that the sport is NOT the same as it used to be.

It's never going back to that. The same things that have helped UK elevate their football program has victimized the basketball program. College sports are now a business and has very little to do with the school. Playing for the school is really only important to the fans. The players will say as much. Kentucky is a means to an end.

The ONLY way everyone can be okay with this quid pro quo agreement is if we can all celebrate winning. That's it. And "winning" for Calipari is defined by many more things besides what it is to the fan base.

Reactions: Oldbluefart
I have tried to read as many posts as I could; like one poster said, there are so many threads on this it is hard to keep up.
Many on both sides of this make good points whether some of you like it or not. In some ways this situation mirrors a lot like society in general. Society has taken a turn from what I will call "old values" to a much different direction. College sports is right there in this change.

Older UK fans like myself just do not like all the changes; we are not into this "one shot wonder" mindset. Older UK fans grew up getting to somewhat know their players and come Senior Night felt the sadness knowing they would be leaving.

One poster said something about coaches like Roy and K retiring due to this change; I agree 100%. Seems the fun as we used to know it has diminished in some ways. It is all about winning now, nothing else. Gotta have that top class, gotta have the #1 seed, gotta this, gotta that. UK has had many top classes but we have the same number of championships as Tubby and Coach Hall did without them too.

Coach Cal is not the culprit here; blame the NCAA and the NBA. They made it what it is.
It is a shame the way we are playing to have to deal with this. Like one said, we have too much drama. Why can't we just play and the fans just enjoy the ride?

Whether you agree or not, the shine is wearing off for many of us older fans. As you get older you do not feel entitled but more of a respect for traditional values.
Screw all this and let just beat the piss out of Auburn.
But is it? Baylor won with upper class-men. So did Virginia, and Nova in 16’ and 18’. Why is it that Kentucky has been stuck with playing one-and-dones but these programs have not?

How did Cal handle Dejaun Wagner at Memphis? The answer to that question is WHY A LOT of our fans are questioning whether Sharpe will EVER play at UK.

It's not that hard to figure out, and it's MOST CERTAINLY NOT unreasonable to feel that way.

In a way that is going to land us his son, the top player in high school right now. But please keep telling us how bad he is...

Share is the first player to ever do this (no, I don't think he will play for us next year and leaning that he won't his year). E-V-E-R. We were the first to get the one and dones then everyone caught up. There will be more to do this same thing until the NBA gets rid of the one and done rule

Drama drama drama. Not to mention the losing like we never lost before. After the worst losing season folks were amped to get the first elite recruit in some time. Now? We don’t know if he plays this year next year or the highly possible never. It is a vicious rollercoaster of revolving door of players and in since 2015 subpar UK results. I don’t know who’s being played, us, cal or what and I don’t care. I want stability in this program. As a life long fan 47 years I still own a share of season tickets I want consistency and stability.

instead we are set up for another offseason of unknowns about a roster that was shaping up to be worth another shot. We re gonna get into may after a likely early out and it’s gonna be is sharpe staying after 0 years or is he gone? Sitting on pins and needles. I speak for a lot of fans when I say this has by far worn the fan base thin. Apathy has set in. Our tickets. 4 rows up behind the visitor bench and scorers table. You’re on espn the entire game. 4 home games this year those seats have been empty. I even offered to give them to my buddy for a game and he said he couldn’t go he had something better to do. What was it? Go to dinner with his high school buddy. He could have taken him to the game but didn’t. I mean really? You don’t want seats on the floor basically? I’ve sensed where things were going for a while now but this year when I couldn’t give those tickets away the reality set in that fans have better things to do.

it’s unfortunate because UK basketball has been a way of life for central Kentuckians for generations. The love for it is passed down from grandpas to grand sons. Fathers to daughters etc. The apathy now though is palpable and the floor is about to fall out if this sharpe situation goes the way it seems to be developing.

One of the dumbest posts I've ever seen and that is saying something. What is Cal supposed to do no take the kids commitment because there is a chance he goes pro? Some of you need to get a life.

But is it? Baylor won with upper class-men. So did Virginia, and Nova in 16’ and 18’. Why is it that Kentucky has been stuck with playing one-and-dones but these programs have not?
Cal is expected to recruit the best players out there, who usually are the one and done type who will leave after one year whether they are ready or not.
If he didn’t recruit the best, he would be blasted here for it as well.
I HATE the one and done, but that’s college basketball today.

Reactions: Emarc and Graham51
Drama drama drama. Not to mention the losing like we never lost before. After the worst losing season folks were amped to get the first elite recruit in some time. Now? We don’t know if he plays this year next year or the highly possible never. It is a vicious rollercoaster of revolving door of players and in since 2015 subpar UK results. I don’t know who’s being played, us, cal or what and I don’t care. I want stability in this program. As a life long fan 47 years I still own a share of season tickets I want consistency and stability.

instead we are set up for another offseason of unknowns about a roster that was shaping up to be worth another shot. We re gonna get into may after a likely early out and it’s gonna be is sharpe staying after 0 years or is he gone? Sitting on pins and needles. I speak for a lot of fans when I say this has by far worn the fan base thin. Apathy has set in. Our tickets. 4 rows up behind the visitor bench and scorers table. You’re on espn the entire game. 4 home games this year those seats have been empty. I even offered to give them to my buddy for a game and he said he couldn’t go he had something better to do. What was it? Go to dinner with his high school buddy. He could have taken him to the game but didn’t. I mean really? You don’t want seats on the floor basically? I’ve sensed where things were going for a while now but this year when I couldn’t give those tickets away the reality set in that fans have better things to do.

it’s unfortunate because UK basketball has been a way of life for central Kentuckians for generations. The love for it is passed down from grandpas to grand sons. Fathers to daughters etc. The apathy now though is palpable and the floor is about to fall out if this sharpe situation goes the way it seems to be developing.
If you ever need someone to fill those 4 seats I promise you won't find 4 better people than me and my crew! I have never turned down a chance to sit lower arena and cheer on the Cats and occasionally rip Call a new ass. LOL I understand the fanbase frustration with Cal but I rarely get an opportunity to sit courtside. Hell I camped out for years just to get lowers to Big Blue Madness :cool:

It's not the kid. It's Caliparis continual disregard and disrespect For our fan base and the culture that's been built here. He is not bigger than this program. He's just another UK coach.

I love Tubby, don’t get me wrong, but both Pitino and Cal built the program way more than Tubby did. Tubby inherited a NC caliber team and never really made much noise after his first year with Pitinos recruits. Cal and Pitino took over at some of our worst times and turned our program back around. So you’re clearly mad at something else besides results. I wonder what is different about Cal and Pitino than Tubby??? Hmmm I wonder…

Only fault Cal had was not seeing him getting draft eligible like that. Even if they did see it as possible he was still worth taking a shot at no other schools were backing off. To me it’s no different than a guy choosing G league after committing just something that happens these days and so far UK has done a good job avoiding those guys.

its a choice that Cal has made, not a mandate - and the reality is that we haven't gone on a tear of winning championships at any faster pace than any other program because of his approach.

People will say "we would complain if he didn't take a 5 star or that we would be mad if we had a team of 3 stars - like its an either or situation. You build a team that complements each other, that provides balance, you don't just go out and collect as many stars as you can. Cal said he'd take talent over experience any day, and the reality is he hasn't proved that out on the court during the tournament.

Look at this years team - he could have built that year over year but he chose not to.

He CHOSE not to.

If Sharpe does play for us next year can we fire the fans that are crying before they know what is going to happen?
No, they cry like children if you raise the issue and call them out. You have to suffer through the bitching but they aren’t man enough to own it after they are proven wrong. Been that way since the Tubby days. It’s a pathetic bunch.

Reactions: Graham51 and chroix
No, they cry like children if you raise the issue and call them out. You have to suffer through the bitching but they aren’t man enough to own it after they are proven wrong. Been that way since the Tubby days. It’s a pathetic bunch.
you don't have to suffer anything. Your choice to be here. Why choose to come to a place where you hate what you read?

It's not the kid. It's Caliparis continual disregard and disrespect For our fan base and the culture that's been built here. He is not bigger than this program. He's just another UK coach.
no he believes that he is the program and everyone should bow to him

After last year... wait I was just beginning my sentence the way you buffoons do every time you flap those gums of yours.

Stuck in the past, I thought the game was changing. Well it’s done passed you all by if you’re hanging out with Brandon Boston.
so easy for the Cal lovers to forget he great job last year......the worst year in school history, basically
yet, he is the greatest

you don't have to suffer anything. Your choice to be here. Why choose to come to a place where you hate what you read?
Thanks for making my point. Perfectly timed.

As the person I was responding to in my prior post can see, they cry and get really butt hurt if any accountability is involved. They don’t even like for their inability to cope to be mentioned.

Reactions: chroix
Half a dozen threads on this, but you have to start another one to add nothing but this maudlin, whiny nonsense?

Calipari took his best shot at the #1 recruit. He didn’t create the rules. If he didn’t go after Sharpe he wouldn’t be doing his job. If it doesn’t work out, he’ll still put a strong team in the floor.

Some of you people need to grow up, lose your sense of entitlement and face the reality that exists in college sports today. Or quit following the sport if it leaves you so bitter and emotionally crippled.

This is the same guy that said he doesn’t even care if Calipari loses, he will support him anyway. You have zero credibility and are a fan of a coach, not UK. No one should take anything you say seriously.

so easy for the Cal lovers to forget he great job last year......the worst year in school history, basically
yet, he is the greatest
Typically response that is grotesquely exaggerated. If you support KY basketball and don’t yield to their constant bashing and hate then they try to label you a Cal lover. Next they try to hide in the big blue mist and claim you are bashing all KY fans. It’s just a few posters that hate KY basketball but aren’t man enough to own it.

Reactions: chroix
In a way that is going to land us his son, the top player in high school right now. But please keep telling us how bad he is...

Share is the first player to ever do this (no, I don't think he will play for us next year and leaning that he won't his year). E-V-E-R. We were the first to get the one and dones then everyone caught up. There will be more to do this same thing until the NBA gets rid of the one and done rule
but what good does it do to get the #1 recruit if they never play a game for UK
I see no benefit at all

Why dont we just offer the top 5 ranked high school kids in the 2023 class and then they can come here and use our facilities and get a FREE scholarship and a really nice NIL deal and NEVER have to play a single second here and that way they are in the spotlight but wont hurt their draft potential or risk an injury....Sounds like a plan.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
OP is the chief "Anti-Cal because of kneeling" cult leader. Should be ignored as he starts 20 of these a week (or one of his minions).

"Fans" are not turning against Cal. A small but odorous band of political malcontents are trying to glaze over their true motivations by seizing on whatever is handy and this is just the latest flavor.

Board would be much better if he returned his season tickets and became a Trump University fan instead. Maybe Trump U will hire Nate Oats and ascend into nirvana.
Does he start “20 of these a week” or is that an exaggeration?

Do the polls in this very forum, both recent and from the past few seasons, reveal only a “small but odorous” opposition group exists?

Do you know where each and every person that dislikes Cal stands politically? Or if politics have anything to do with their attitude toward him as a coach?

Do your politics influence your opinion of Cal? You seem to have very strong feelings regarding political matters and a disdain for those who are in a different camp.

• Love
yet, he is the greatest
No one forgets last year but many of us my be on and are really enjoying this year and are thankful for all the success we’ve had the 11 years before that.

Typically response that is grotesquely exaggerated. If you support KY basketball and don’t yield to their constant bashing and hate then they try to label you a Cal lover. Next they try to hide in the big blue mist and claim you are bashing all KY fans. It’s just a few posters that hate KY basketball but aren’t man enough to own it.
typical of a Cal lover
been following UK since Rupps Runts, close to 60 years
still have every win on vhs tape during the Pitino years
NEVER in that time frame was there a year like last year
The inmates ran the asylum
Boston should have been benched & others playing, yet Boston played so that Cal could keep
his draft goals in sight
KU is now about to become the all time win leader in college, a record that the fans want to keep,
but again the Cal lovers brush it off, assuming that KU will have to vacate some wins due to NCAA
violations

hate UK basketball, no, hate the disregard that Cal has shown toward it

• Love
What an entitled woos the OP is. Sorry that grabbing a number one pick whose status situation changed is example of the class isn't half full it's rancid. Drama much yourself?

Reactions: Graham51
If he doesn’t play a minute for the cats AND we get bounced from the tournament in typical Calipari fashion I think the majority of the fan base will be done with Cal.

It’s more than that for me. But the turnover of the roster does suck

What an entitled woos the OP is. Sorry that grabbing a number one pick whose status situation changed is example of the class isn't half full it's rancid. Drama much yourself?
Yeah. So, the thing is, his status didn’t change. This has been his status, and it was being kept under wraps. So maybe come up with another way to defend yo boy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT