ADVERTISEMENT

This board is underrating our bracket

ukcatz12

Junior
Mar 27, 2009
Our bracket has six Kenpom top 16 teams, more than any other bracket. The 10 seed is KP #21, 11 seed is KP #23, and 7 seed is KP #27. Those are all highest of their seed. Purdue and Baylor are good hypothetical opponents for us at those stages in the tournament, but there are some really good teams in this bracket relative to their seed line.

i-aint-scared-4x0las.jpg

Our bracket has six Kenpom top 16 teams, more than any other bracket. The 10 seed is KP #21, 11 seed is KP #23, and 7 seed is KP #27. Those are all highest of their seed. Purdue and Baylor are good hypothetical opponents for us at those stages in the tournament, but there are some really good teams in this bracket relative to their seed line.
Gotta beat someone. Play our game and we shouldn’t be worried. And NO MORE SKIPPING SHOOT-AROUND CAL.

I think the consensus is that we got a favorable first two games especially for getting to play so close in Indy. Then that the team struggles against physical defense and that is NOT Purdue. Finally Baylor is really good but also wounded and there leading scorer may not play in the tournament. Doesn’t mean UCLA, Purdue, and Baylor aren’t good teams.

I think the consensus is that we got a favorable first two games especially for getting to play so close in Indy.
Being close in Indy is great, but I actually think or second game will be much tougher than many realize. San Francisco is very underseeded and any 30 win team will always be a tough out. Get past that game and we'll be set up pretty nice, but that game scares me more than it should.

Reactions: Jazzycat
As far as style of play Baylor is our best 1 matchup. If we make it that far that is. As long as Cal lets Wheeler push the pace and run with them I like our chances in that one. But we have a few tough games to play to get to them. Those saying we got an easy draw are only looking at the top 2-3 teams I guess.

I think our bracket is about as good as one could hope for.We just need to take it one game at a time,beat St Peter's and then get ready for the next.
We have the talent to do this.Come ready to play hard,leave it on the court.Take NOBODY for granted.
It's there for the taking.

It's about matchups at this point, not SOS or Quad 1s or Kenpom.

The Midwest is the weakest and it's not even close, based on analytics and whatnot. I posted the KenPom rankings for the top 5 seeds in each region in a separate thread.
Top half of Kansas bracket is weak as a kitten, with Iowa the only team with a pulse really. And the bottom of their bracket has LSU without a coach and a weak Wisconsin.

I think the consensus is that we got a favorable first two games especially for getting to play so close in Indy. Then that the team struggles against physical defense and that is NOT Purdue. Finally Baylor is really good but also wounded and there leading scorer may not play in the tournament. Doesn’t mean UCLA, Purdue, and Baylor aren’t good teams.
Agree 110 percent.

Reactions: runt#69
I still think from a matchup standpoint is about as great of a path as we have gotten in a long time.
Yes all about matchups now. No bracket is easy when it comes down to it in a 1 and done tournament.
This is what the Cal haters need to realize. This tournament is one and done. Best team wins about once every 5 years or so. Hardest thing in all of sports to win.
I mean nobody thinks the 15 team would have lost in a best of 5 series. But 1 and gone anything can happen.
Injuries, Bad shooting night. Player on the opposing team has career night. Or the Refs put the screws to you because Vegas told them to.

A. Not shipped out West v overall #1 Zags
B. Not in Midwest with potential rematch with #1 seed KU after we thrashed them in Kansas. Let AU take them out.
C. Not in South (Texas) playing probably the best team in the tournament Arizona who is huge inside.
D. In the East but no #2 Nova as our 3 who would have a defacto home game in Philly.
E. If we get to Philly more than likely we will play Purdue and Baylor-both games would be a huge advantage for UK in the seats.
F. We wouldn't see Duke until the semis and wouldnt see Zona, TN or Kansas until the Final.
Im calling it now, UK v UT for all the marbles!

Reactions: indiacat and CGblue
Yeah I mean the East has
Baylor
UK
Purdue
UCLA
That is by far the toughest group. Some are saying we have an easy draw but there isnt any great teams anywhere just some good ones so I wasn't afraid of any of them. However, the Zags and KU have a walk to the FF.

It’s not a round robin. You don’t play all the teams in the region. Kentucky’s 7-10 matchup is the best of the four - could have been USC, Ohio State or Michigan State.

Then, if Purdue advances, a major if, they have had a KenPom defense ranking of around 100 all year and got beat easily by IU, and should have lost to them at home.

Then, if chalk holds, Baylor. A very good team but weakened by injury. The weakest of the #1 seeds. I actually think the Cats could be facing UCLA or even UNC.

That’s a fortuitous path.

You are correct! This region has the highest rated NET teams.. I do not know how each one matches with other, worth to look at. In March; Its all about ‘Matchups and Making Shots

Purdue will be tough. They will have the best player on the floor. How much success Oscar has against their bigs will determine the winner imo.

Yeah I mean the East has
Baylor
UK
Purdue
UCLA
That is by far the toughest group. Some are saying we have an easy draw but there isnt any great teams anywhere just some good ones so I wasn't afraid of any of them. However, the Zags and KU have a walk to the FF.
But, the thing is we don’t have to PLAY all those teams. We would play either Baylor OR UCLA. Can’t play ‘em both.

Being close in Indy is great, but I actually think or second game will be much tougher than many realize. San Francisco is very underseeded and any 30 win team will always be a tough out. Get past that game and we'll be set up pretty nice, but that game scares me more than it should.
I would love to play SF in the 2nd rd but noway they get past Murray. Murray st is a really good team I would have liked to cheer for some. But ofcourse they are with us.

Reactions: CGblue
But, the thing is we don’t have to PLAY all those teams. We would play either Baylor OR UCLA. Can’t play ‘em both.
I get that but upsets happen and we probably still get a tough team where other regions that are easier could get even easier. I'm not saying it's murders row but no cakewalk. I think UCLA would be a tough game for us. But it's tourney time and you got to beat some good teams. I'm just saying the East might have the weaker 1 but toughest 4 and some other seeds.

I get that but upsets happen and we probably still get a tough team where other regions that are easier could get even easier. I'm not saying it's murders row but no cakewalk. I think UCLA would be a tough game for us. But it's tourney time and you got to beat some good teams. I'm just saying the East might have the weaker 1 but toughest 4 and some other seeds.
Sure, it would be a tough game. But we’re talking about an Elite Eight game. It’s supposed to be a tough game. If we’re talking about a game against a 4 seed UCLA to get to the Final Four? Sure. Sign me up. I don’t think anyone is saying this is like running through the MAC. It’s the NCAA tournament, it’s supposed to be hard.

Reactions: Chief Paducah

Yeah, usually every year, everyone is ready to tar and feather the committee.

Something seems odd about today.

I don't know whether that's good or bad. Guess we'll see.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT