ADVERTISEMENT

Thiero

Thiero is becoming a mythical creature at this point....he has now been turned into an All-American first round draft pick

His strengths are the team’s biggest weakness when he is out. There’s a reason for us wanting him back so badly.

Haven’t seen a single person say what you just said.
For real. We wouldn't have lost at Texas A&M if he played.

It's not so much that Cal is doing this for his draft stock or anything. He could be, and is likely, just being overly cautious with him so he's available for the end of the season.

And I get that, and I think there's some merits to it. But I personally think it's too cautious. We cant lose games while we give players extra (and perhaps unnecessary) time to rehab.

Thiero is becoming a mythical creature at this point....he has now been turned into an All-American first round draft pick
Will say that he was the difference in winning and losing vs. Texas A&M.

It's no coincidence that Kentucky's best win of season against UNC came with full compliment of players (minus Ivisic). Once he comes back I look for this team to take it to another level.

His strengths are the team’s biggest weakness when he is out. There’s a reason for us wanting him back so badly.

Haven’t seen a single person say what you just said.
They did suggest he is being held out to protect his non-existent draft stock only to update said claim and assert he has a problem with GPA.

Reactions: JFCats22
Will say that he was the difference in winning and losing vs. Texas A&M.

It's no coincidence that Kentucky's best win of season against UNC came with full compliment of players (minus Ivisic). Once he comes back I look for this team to take it to another level.

And hopefully it east into Edwards minutes. Not only is it big to get Thiero back, and arguably just as big to limit Edwards at this time.

It's not so much that Cal is doing this for his draft stock or anything. He could be, and is likely, just being overly cautious with him so he's available for the end of the season.

And I get that, and I think there's some merits to it. But I personally think it's too cautious. We cant lose games while we give players extra (and perhaps unnecessary) time to rehab.
Or more likely, he’s not cleared to play and it has nothing to do with Calipari

They did suggest he is being held out to protect his non-existent draft stock only to update said claim and assert he has a problem with GPA.

Remember, it's not JUST the NBA he could be resting him for. It could be playing professionally overseas, it could be as a transfer elsewhere. Not that I really think this is the reason, it IS worth noting that Cal can protect players from more than just the NBA.

They? Maybe one guy said that, sure didn't see anyone agree with him.

Or more likely, he’s not cleared to play and it has nothing to do with Calipari

He's cleared to play lmfao. He's chest bumping players on the sidelines. There's 0 chance that the medical staff haven't cleared him yet.

I went over this in very much detail above. Back Spasms are not a knee injury, they are a day-to-day injury. There's no way the meidcal staff said "Back Spasms? He's out at least a month".. that's not how that injury works. The meidcal staff have almost certainly left this into the hands of Cal and Thiero, essentially saying "Whenever the spasms subside, otherwise he's cleared from our end".

Look, I can't PROVE that, but I'm very confident in that assessment because you see it in EVERY other sport.

And hopefully it east into Edwards minutes. Not only is it big to get Thiero back, and arguably just as big to limit Edwards at this time.
I think Thiero will take a few minutes from Edwards, but see him most valuable in providing more defense and rebounding in the frontcourt, along with allowing Mitchell more rest.

He's cleared to play lmfao. He's chest bumping players on the sidelines. There's 0 chance that the medical staff haven't cleared him yet.

I went over this in very much detail above. Back Spasms are not a knee injury, they are a day-to-day injury. There's no way the meidcal staff said "Back Spasms? He's out at least a month".. that's not how that injury works. The meidcal staff have almost certainly left this into the hands of Cal and Thiero, essentially saying "Whenever the spasms subside, otherwise he's cleared from our end".

Look, I can't PROVE that, but I'm very confident in that assessment because you see it in EVERY other sport.
And it certainly doesn't help matters that the only "official" report was General Soreness, lol. Doctors won't clear a guy for a month because he has general soreness!

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
If the medical staff are somehow NOT clearing him, then there's something bigger going on with his back. Which is very well possible.

But if his back was THIS big of a problem, it sure didn't appear so when he was on the sidelines this past Saturday. And you sure wouldn't want to be risking re injury.

Also, he's still not practicing as of yesterday. He's not coming back for at least another week IMO.

And it certainly doesn't help matters that the only "official" report was General Soreness, lol. Doctors won't clear a guy for a month because he has general soreness!

Exactly, let's use some common sense people. This isn't a tough one to figure out.

Reactions: RunninRichie
If the medical staff are somehow NOT clearing him, then there's something bigger going on with his back. Which is very well possible.
This is the truest thing you have said. If it's indeed true that he has not been cleared to play by the doctors, there's definitely a diagnosis that's been made that we know nothing about. It would be more than spasms for sure.

To some degree, these argument are conflict of our personality types. I have a personality where I value facts before conclusion. I hate the idea that popular beliefs and conjecture lead to assertions made before a baseline of facts are established.

For example, @LineSkiCat14 feels very adamant that Calipari is being “too soft” on Theiro. The problem is that to even believe that it must be established that it’s Calipari not the doctors who are holding Theiro out.

So then the rebuttal is “But Theiro cheered on the sideline”. Okay, but that’s not how medical clearance works. The spasms could be a result of an underlying problem, but the fact Theiro is up and moving to exactly why he’s listed day to day.

Other people are able to believe things sans facts. Sometimes there is value to such thinking, but I feel like there is a missing chunk of realism there.

Reactions: grevey35
This is the truest thing you have said. If it's indeed true that he has not been cleared to play by the doctors, there's definitely a diagnosis that's been made that we know nothing about. It would be more than spasms for sure.
That’s not even true though. Who told you that? Are you a doctor? Also, what difference does it make? He’s injured. That’s it

To some degree, these argument are conflict of our personality types. I have a personality where I value facts before conclusion. I hate the idea that popular beliefs and conjecture lead to assertions made before a baseline of facts are established.

For example, @LineSkiCat14 feels very adamant that Calipari is being “too soft” on Theiro. The problem is that to even believe that it must be established that it’s Calipari not the doctors who are holding Theiro out.

So then the rebuttal is “But Theiro cheered on the sideline”. Okay, but that’s not how medical clearance works. The spasms could be a result of an underlying problem, but the fact Theiro is up and moving to exactly why he’s listed day to day.

Other people are able to believe things sans facts. Sometimes there is value to such thinking, but I feel like there is a missing chunk of realism there.
The main disconnect here is that the only official diagnosis anyone here knows about doesn't match up with the length of time he has been out.

That’s not even true though. Who told you that? Are you a doctor? Also, what difference does it make? He’s injured. That’s it
What I said is 100% true. There's not a doctor in America that's going to not clear an athlete for a month because he is having back spasms. Back spasms are the definition of day to day. If he's not cleared by the doctors there's more going on than anything we know.

And I'm not physician. But I am in healthcare and have been for over a decade.

And as I've said, I don't believe the doctors are holding Thiero out almost a month later, because again, I've never seen that in any sport unless the back injury is something severe. Chandler parsons missed half a week of games for his back spasm, and we actually SAW it happen mid game.

He didn't just "cheer" on the sideline, he was jumping up and down. What if he tweaked his back again doing that? WHat if he's not getting better BECAUSE of this? At some point, if a player is able to jump up and down and chest bump.. maybe you play him and deal with the spasms as they come up?

I also fully realize much of what I say cant be proven, and I'm admitting I could very well be wrong. I don't argue in absolutes, I never have.

Reactions: STL_Cat
What I said is 100% true. There's not a doctor in America that's going to not clear an athlete for a month because he is having back spasms. Back spasms are the definition of day to day. If he's not cleared by the doctors there's more going on than anything we know.

And I'm not physician. But I am in healthcare and have been for over a decade.

Except you stating something is 100% true doesn't make it so. Research "should players play through back spasms". The opinion of medical professionals is unequivocally no.

The reality is that all the facts aren't available. Where you and I disagree is that we have the liberty to insert details with out knowing if they are true or not.

And honestly, to me it makes no difference what details are

Except you stating something is 100% true doesn't make it so. Research "should players play through back spasms". The opinion of medical professionals is unequivocally no.

That's just as disingenuous. We don't know if he still has back spasms at all.

I'll tell you this, my back spasms have me hunched over like a feeble old lady until they release/relax. He sure didn't seem to have back spasms during the game.

The reality is that all the facts aren't available. Where you and I disagree is that we have the liberty to insert details with out knowing if they are true or not.

And honestly, to me it makes no difference what details are
Acute Back spasms alone could last anywhere from hours to days. Chronic back spasms (in this case missing a month of basketball I would label as chronic as it is significantly longer than hours or even days) are often a sign of a more serious underlying condition (ie herniated disc).

The reason people are inserting details is because the report was general soreness, we heard maybe back spasms, and he's missed a month of games. There's a disconnect, and the amount of time he has missed coupled with the lack of any real information would lead any reasonable person to draw the conclusion that there is a very good chance there is something deeper here than acute back spasms.

Science.

His own dad said it.

For the love of God, Google something, please.

I’m not sure how back spasms keep someone out for 3 weeks. Have had back issues since my mid 20’s when two ruptured disc led to a lower spinal fusion. Actually came out very good though and continued playing sports my entire life. Now 55 years old. Occasionally I will get spasms. About 5 years ago my back spasmed as I was getting my golf clubs from my trunk. The kind of spasm that took me down hard and I layed on the concrete for 15 minutes writhing in pain. Another club member pulled up and thought I was having a hear attack 😂. I was finally able to get up and went on to play 18 that day with no further issue. Just very weird that spasms would keep him out this long. Coach herd by the way is still very green and doesn’t know shit. Typical 20 something who thinks he knows it all but in reality is just a turd 😂.

We will probably never know the details. He'll either be back or he won't.

But it's 100% a pattern with Cal. He's cautious with every injury, and I don't think we've ever once had a player come back before the timeline (or even ON the timeline).

That's problematic to me, as we're trying to win games. Sometimes you have to push the players, even just a little bit. We're trying to win games not just keep kids in a bubble.

It's the same problem as his 2-foul rule. Great, we put a player on the bench with 2-fouls in case he gets a quick 3rd, but eventually you have to get the player back in.. otherwise what's the point? Ok, you kept him from fouling out.. by only playing him 5 more minutes. He might as well have fouled out regardless, as the minutes weren't any different.

I’m not sure how back spasms keep someone out for 3 weeks. Have had back issues since my mid 20’s when two ruptured disc led to a lower spinal fusion. Actually came out very good though and continued playing sports my entire life. Now 55 years old. Occasionally I will get spasms. About 5 years ago my back spasmed as I was getting my golf clubs from my trunk. The kind of spasm that took me down hard and I layed on the concrete for 15 minutes writhing in pain. Another club member pulled up and thought I was having a hear attack 😂. I was finally able to get up and went on to play 18 that day with no further issue. Just very weird that spasms would keep him out this long. Coach herd by the way is still very green and doesn’t know shit. Typical 20 something who thinks he knows it all but in reality is just a turd 😂.
4 weeks if he doesn't play tomorrow.

These guys are so obtuse its hilarious.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Acute Back spasms alone could last anywhere from hours to days. Chronic back spasms (in this case missing a month of basketball I would label as chronic as it is significantly longer than hours or even days) are often a sign of a more serious underlying condition (ie herniated disc).

The reason people are inserting details is because the report was general soreness, we heard maybe back spasms, and he's missed a month of games. There's a disconnect, and the amount of time he has missed coupled with the lack of any real information would lead any reasonable person to draw the conclusion that there is a very good chance there is something deeper here than acute back spasms.

Science.

So, just to be clear, you are admitting you don't know the details, but then inserting details?

Let me ask this. Let's say you had Theiro's x-rays and complete medical report.

How does that change when Theiro returns?

That's just as disingenuous. We don't know if he still has back spasms at all.

I'll tell you this, my back spasms have me hunched over like a feeble old lady until they release/relax. He sure didn't seem to have back spasms during the game.
His dad literally said he has back spasms

We will probably never know the details. He'll either be back or he won't.

But it's 100% a pattern with Cal. He's cautious with every injury, and I don't think we've ever once had a player come back before the timeline (or even ON the timeline).

That's problematic to me, as we're trying to win games. Sometimes you have to push the players, even just a little bit. We're trying to win games not just keep kids in a bubble.

It's the same problem as his 2-foul rule. Great, we put a player on the bench with 2-fouls in case he gets a quick 3rd, but eventually you have to get the player back in.. otherwise what's the point? Ok, you kept him from fouling out.. by only playing him 5 more minutes. He might as well have fouled out regardless, as the minutes weren't any different.

Again, it's the same as the other poster. Calipari has never been forthcoming with injury reports.

The difference between me and you is that you make up stories to fill in the details where I prefer to work from known facts.

• Haha
Reactions: RunninRichie
So, just to be clear, you are admitting you don't know the details, but then inserting details?

Let me ask this. Let's say you had Theiro's x-rays and complete medical report.

How does that change when Theiro returns?
You're somehow completely missing the point and talking in circles. Nothing I am suggesting changes when Thiero returns. This is a discussion board. This is a ... discussion. Maybe just go have a coke and a smile if you don't understand why people are talking about this.

Also, no an x-ray would not help because I would not be able to tell if Adou has a herniated disc by looking at an x-ray.

And that was.. when? 3 weeks ago? Doesn't mean he still has them.

Would you agree that he didn't have back spasms during the game Saturday?

I have no idea if he had back spasms Saturday. lol.

Let me guess, you know though despite not knowing?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT