ADVERTISEMENT

They Call Me Goose....

Blueathletics

Senior
Dec 21, 2007
So I think some of you know I'm good friends with Jack Givens and he invited me to a book signing he had in Louisville yesterday

There were a ton of people there including, Mark Krebs, Dave Baker, Bobby Perry, etc.....

But the reason I'm posting is to tell you about the funny story he told when they were freshman and playing IU early in the season......Jack said he had a breakaway on one play and thought "man, I'm gonna hammer this one".....Well he said Scott May came out of nowhere and blocked it all the way back to nearly halfcourt

And on the way back down court May told him "Boy, don't be bringing that weak sh*t in here" LOL!

Just thought y'all would like to hear...

So I think some of you know I'm good friends with Jack Givens and he invited me to a book signing he had in Louisville yesterday

There were a ton of people there including, Mark Krebs, Dave Baker, Bobby Perry, etc.....

But the reason I'm posting is to tell you about the funny story he told when they were freshman and playing IU early in the season......Jack said he had a breakaway on one play and thought "man, I'm gonna hammer this one".....Well he said Scott May came out of nowhere and blocked it all the way back to nearly halfcourt

And on the way back down court May told him "Boy, don't be bringing that weak sh*t in here" LOL!

I know ol Jack myself. He a good guy. The first thing ppl always want to talk about is the 41 point game and then they follow up that up with all the shit that happened in Orlando and after knowing him, and I don't know what he says in the book about it but I know he covered it in the book but I can see Jack being a good enough guy that he would go help any young girl or boy for that matter out with teaching them the game of basketball. I'm not naive and I don't even care about his status of playing for UK because if I thought he was a child molester I would not ever take up for him, but Jack is that dude who will give his time and money without hesitation and has fun doing it so I always make sure to say that.

He could come out today and say he is guilty of that and Id have to eat my words but if you know him you can almost understand how it happened even if he should have used better judgement and knew better than to even put himself in that position to begin with just for simple fact of how it could look to others.

Nothing worse ever than harming a child. I plan on reading Gooses book. I'm halfway through Rex's book and he makes me sick. I doubt I read the rest. A friend left it at my house so I started on it even though I said I wasn't gonna read it.

Reactions: Blueathletics
Jack was a deacon at Trinity Baptist Church and we played in the Lexington church basketball league together. I have had many friends (close friends) that have done things in the past. Mostly due to being on pain meds (prescription) and have regretted what happened when they were not in their right minds.
Jack was always open and I fell honest about all situations he shared in his life. I will believe what he states to be truth. My brother went to Bryan Station with Jack. I went during and after Leroy Bird III / Turpin time they were seniors when I was in 8th grade at Bryan Station Jr. But I practiced with the SR high football team. So knew some of those guys from the weight room.

Anyway Jack is the real deal.

I know ol Jack myself. He a good guy. The first thing ppl always want to talk about is the 41 point game and then they follow up that up with all the shit that happened in Orlando and after knowing him, and I don't know what he says in the book about it but I know he covered it in the book but I can see Jack being a good enough guy that he would go help any young girl or boy for that matter out with teaching them the game of basketball. I'm not naive and I don't even care about his status of playing for UK because if I thought he was a child molester I would not ever take up for him, but Jack is that dude who will give his time and money without hesitation and has fun doing it so I always make sure to say that.

He could come out today and say he is guilty of that and Id have to eat my words but if you know him you can almost understand how it happened even if he should have used better judgement and knew better than to even put himself in that position to begin with just for simple fact of how it could look to others.

Nothing worse ever than harming a child. I plan on reading Gooses book. I'm halfway through Rex's book and he makes me sick. I doubt I read the rest. A friend left it at my house so I started on it even though I said I wasn't gonna read it.
So one thing is that he never turns down an autograph seeker or someone wanting a picture....The only time he did was during the 2012 run when they played in Louisville and some guy wanted numerous pics when we were trying to get inside for the game against WKU....but that's the ONLY time he's done that...and even then he gave the guy what he wanted

While I don't know Goose personally, I've chatted with him at least 5 times back when he was a pre-game staple at Joe Bologna's. He always came in and up to the "altar" and would greet folks having a beverage.

That's my only Goose story. Those of you that frequented Joe's back in the late 2000s probably saw him there often, so this isn't news to you. :)

If you actually research that case and read what has been disclosed, it's pretty difficult for a rationally thinking person to defend a 47 yr old mans actions and behavior with a 14 year old girl. I understand why some despise Rex. Personally, I don't, but I do understand the point of view. What I can't understand is how some just choose to ignore Goose's history in regards to this situation.

I was in Rupp when tarkanian brought his #1 ranked running rebels tark had Reggie theus 1st team all american and goose jammed one on top of his head and to this day never heard Rupp go that loud and wild the goose lived on mid range jumpers and never dunked the ball but that day he sent a message to tark you're in my world

Reactions: RunninRichie
I was in Rupp when tarkanian brought his #1 ranked running rebels tark had Reggie theus 1st team all american and goose jammed one on top of his head and to this day never heard Rupp go that loud and wild the goose lived on mid range jumpers and never dunked the ball but that day he sent a message to tark you're in my world
That was March, 1978. UNLV was unranked; Kentucky was #1.

I met Goose Givens a couple of years ago at, of course, Joe Bologna's. We only chatted for a couple of minutes but he seemed like a genuinely nice guy. I wish I knew about the book signing in Louisville. I would've went there and buy his book and get it signed.

If you actually research that case and read what has been disclosed, it's pretty difficult for a rationally thinking person to defend a 47 yr old mans actions and behavior with a 14 year old girl. I understand why some despise Rex. Personally, I don't, but I do understand the point of view. What I can't understand is how some just choose to ignore Goose's history in regards to this situation.
I haven’t done any research but , these days I never know if you can believe what is reported or not. That’s why I don’t give it much thought.

Jack was a deacon at Trinity Baptist Church and we played in the Lexington church basketball league together. I have had many friends (close friends) that have done things in the past. Mostly due to being on pain meds (prescription) and have regretted what happened when they were not in their right minds.
Jack was always open and I fell honest about all situations he shared in his life. I will believe what he states to be truth. My brother went to Bryan Station with Jack. I went during and after Leroy Bird III / Turpin time they were seniors when I was in 8th grade at Bryan Station Jr. But I practiced with the SR high football team. So knew some of those guys from the weight room.

Anyway Jack is the real deal.
What elementary school did you attend? I moved out of Lex. in the 6th grade but was in that area about the same time.

750322UKNCAA-550x377.jpg

The Goose more than got his revenge 3 months later in the Elite-8.

Reactions: RunninRichie
That was March, 1978. UNLV was unranked; Kentucky was #1.
You're right I thought they played them In 1977 but unlv was ranked #11 in 78 I was there still one of the top 5 moments in Rupp

Red Devils you say? I'm not 100% sure on that, but.......... Just exactly how old are you? I may have to go dig up some old pics.

Were you there? Do you know the story that was completely left out by the headline hungry media?

No I don't think you were...I know the whole story and you might wanna refrain from commenting on something you know absolutely nothing about..

Were you there? Do you know the story that was completely left out by the headline hungry media?

No I don't think you were...I know the whole story and you might wanna refrain from commenting on something you know absolutely nothing about..
Enlighten us then. I only know the parts of the police reports and court proceedings that were made public record. I've actually read quite a bit on it. It's only my opinion, but at the very least he made an extremely poor decision to be alone with a 14-yr old girl. If you don't want to provide what you supposedly know to refute that, that's your decision.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT