ADVERTISEMENT

Makeup of next year’s roster

Jan 26, 2003
Cal knows that his legacy is on the brink of being destroyed. A renewed success is all that can save it. He has immediately started laying the groundwork about getting older. I think that most of this years roster is gone. Possibly Burks, Z and maybe one of Wagner or Edwards coming back. I think Cal may have meetings with the incoming freshman also to tell them he has to get older and that they may not play as much as previously thought. One or more of them could ask for a release.

He basically said he was hitting the portal without actually saying it. I think we get 3 if not 4 or 5 older portal players. Guys like BJ Freeman and others. There will be studs at each position in the portal. That will put most, if not all of the freshman in back up roles and that is what is needed. When the roster is completed, it needs to have only one if not zero freshman in starting roles.

If this don’t happen, there is no reason to expect any better results.

Reactions: BigKari and G-PIP
Im not expecting any returnees, maybe Burks. Our freshmen class is a good class, not a bona-fide superstar that I see yet but then again JQ and Richmond may surprise people.
I think Perry will be fine, he's a great shooter, quick release and simply a winner.
I think the portal is gonna be lukewarm to us. We will get some additions but are they going to be what moves the needle ?
I'm not expecting to be a contender next season. Simply to many distractions and questions for the shitshow to improve.

Reactions: crestcat
I’m afraid Cal will think having a good offensive team wasn’t the way and we will go back to long, athletic bricklayers who will be better defensively but will be plagued by prolonged scoring droughts and laboring to crack 70 points per game.

Ideally we’d get a couple shooters out of the portal at the guard and wing position. Maybe one “grown ass man” type big to combat the physicality of SEC play.

With NIL, college basketball is a business now. The ONLY way to approach the game is as a business. There is only one way to turn this ship around for us and that is for Cal to throw out what has worked (and not worked) in the past and turn UK into a business of winning basketball games. When players are making 6 figure salaries playing for a blue blood program getting them to the next level doesn't mean as much by a long shot.

I always liked the fact that Cal had a legit concern for the kids, many of whom came from poverty like Eric Bledsoe. But, NIL changed all that. The transfer portal is better than recruiting AA's out of HS.

Cal knows that his legacy is on the brink of being destroyed. A renewed success is all that can save it. He has immediately started laying the groundwork about getting older. I think that most of this years roster is gone. Possibly Burks, Z and maybe one of Wagner or Edwards coming back. I think Cal may have meetings with the incoming freshman also to tell them he has to get older and that they may not play as much as previously thought. One or more of them could ask for a release.

He basically said he was hitting the portal without actually saying it. I think we get 3 if not 4 or 5 older portal players. Guys like BJ Freeman and others. There will be studs at each position in the portal. That will put most, if not all of the freshman in back up roles and that is what is needed. When the roster is completed, it needs to have only one if not zero freshman in starting roles.

If this don’t happen, there is no reason to expect any better results.
This is the exact same crap we heard about this past season. Number one class. Final chance. We gotta keep him for this great group of guys. Nothing. Same turd as always

He’d basically be admitting his approach recruiting freshmen has failed the last 5-6 years. No way Cal admits that.
He’ll get one or two out of the portal, but his favorite freshmen will be starters. Period.
Cal was an early adapter to the OAD. And that worked for him.
But….the game has changed, especially due to the Portal.
I was hoping he would be a leader in adapting to that change too. Nope.
And once he did dabble in it, as soon as it didn’t work (due too injuries and 1 bad selection) he went back to his old (now out of date) method of building a team.

Reactions: saxonburgcat
This is the exact same crap we heard about this past season. Number one class. Final chance. We gotta keep him for this great group of guys. Nothing. Same turd as always
A turd is still a turd no matter how you try to paint it great analogy great post

Reactions: natchezrule
I’m afraid Cal will think having a good offensive team wasn’t the way and we will go back to long, athletic bricklayers who will be better defensively but will be plagued by prolonged scoring droughts and laboring to crack 70 points per game.

Ideally we’d get a couple shooters out of the portal at the guard and wing position. Maybe one “grown ass man” type big to combat the physicality of SEC play.
If only we had a grown ass big man this past season to go with all the scoring guards. I believe that would have made a difference

If only we had a grown ass big man this past season to go with all the scoring guards. I believe that would have made a difference
16 years of IFS is all we get from cal and his supporters I now have a IF too if only Barnhart had the balls too fire cal

Reactions: crestcat
Fland, Knox, and Quaintance will start with two portal players.

Burks, Richmond, Cyril, and Perry will come off the bench.

The battle cry will once again be, “We’re young!”

Pulling in an Omoyuri, Meechie, and BJ Freeman would be a great start at a roster rebuild.

I wish we had a coach who has the balls to tell Freeman, Omoyuri, and Freeman that they will eat first and the freshmen can earn their minutes as role players.

Usually, Cal's message is the opposite: freshmen eat first, and transfers are role players.

Fland, Knox, and Quaintance will start with two portal players.

Burks, Richmond, Cyril, and Perry will come off the bench.

The battle cry will once again be, “We’re young!”
I don't think so.
Fland is ok. But if Reed returns he will be the PG. If Wagner returns, he might. (Both those likely won't return, but a solid chance one or other does).
Knox can't shoot. He does look to have the body, but still if he can't shoot....
Quaintance is strong for his age going against 16-19 yr olds, but he won't have that advantage vs 20-24 yr olds.

I wish we had a coach who has the balls to tell Freeman, Omoyuri, and Freeman that they will eat first and the freshmen can earn their minutes as role players.

Usually, Cal's message is the opposite: freshmen eat first, and transfers are role players.

Uh....the data suggests that last statement is false:

20-21
Mintz 30.7 mpg
Sarr 25.1 mpg (even though soft as pudding)
Toppin 16.6 mpg (even though expected to sit out that year)
-------
21-22
Grady 32.9 mpg
Oscar 31.9 mpg
Wheeler 31.2 mpg (was just a bad choice by Cal
Mintz 24.7 mpg
Brooks 24.5 mpg (returnee, not transfer)
Toppin 17.1 mpg
-------
22-23
Oscar 33.5 mpg
Toppin 31.5 mpg
Wheeler 28.5 mpg (until the Quitter quit the team)
Reeves 27.9 mpg
Fredrick 22.2 mpg (but contributed nothing)
------
23-24
Reeves 31.5 mpg
Mitchell 30.2 mpg

PG- Sheppard or Wagner/ Fland
SG- transfer/ Perry & Richmond
SF- transfer/ Knox
PF- Thiero/ Quaintance
C- transfer/ Quaintance & Somto

This is what the lineup needs to look like. If Sheppard and Wagner both leave, insert transfer into that starting spot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT