ADVERTISEMENT

the way this thing w/Cunningham may unfold

If Keion Brooks stays for a second year, he can easily play the 4. Also, the last two years, we've gotten two premier grad transfer big men and heavily pursued a third. I would imagine we will do something similar for next year.

Then there is Banchero, Maker, Brown, Todd, Jackson, Omoruyi, Thor....lots of options left.
I want to see us sign one of them. Two would be great.

Historically, Oklahoma State is a much bigger basketball school than SMU. OK St. has twice the size arena (much nicer at that), twice the NCAA tourney appearances, and twice the sweet sixteens. What a selective choice to only use the last five years, when any other longer timeframe, starting at 6 years, would favor OK St.

I used 5 years because these kids don't give a shit about what happened to OSU and SMU basketball 10, 15, 20 years ago. Historically? [roll] You aren't talking about Kentucky, Duke, UNC, MSU, Gonzaga. It's OK St. If we take that out to 10 years- when these kids were 8-9 years old, fine, you win. OK State has been to the NCAA 4 times. Even then OK State has made ZERO Sweet Sixteens or better since 2010. Ypu have to go to 2004 for that.

Again, take that overrated Big 12 homer crap somewhere else. RIGHT NOW, SMU is a BETTER program than Oklahoma State.

Reactions: CatfanMike47
Unless his brother backs out of his job offer, why would anyone think Cade is going anywhere else but where his brother will be? No matter which "guru" puts a pick in for any school. FOE.
My mother always said, "Blood is thicker than water" I am hoping for his UK decision, but am prepared for an OSU one.

Corey Evans: "As of now, UK still has a lot of work to do."

Translation: "I haven't heard anything substantial enough to change my presupposition regarding the supposed Cunnningham package delivery to OSU."

I agree with Evans, but I don't think he knows any more than we do. The default option has always been OSU, and no one has heard enough yet to convince them of anything outside that default presupposition.

Reactions: 21crobe0
My mother always said, "Blood is thicker than water" I am hoping for his UK decision, but am prepared for an OSU one.
I guess it just depends. I mean, would it really be an act of betrayal if Cade didn't go to OSU?

Cade will likely make over $100,000,000 in his NBA career. Surely Cannen gets a few million off that (plus, maybe he gets a full time gig as Cade's trainer or agent). I mean, the hilarious irony here is that once Cade gets drafted (even if he goes to OSU), Cannen might just leave OSU anyway and follow Cade to the league in some capacity of assistance.

So the "blood is thicker than water" thing makes sense in most examples, but I'm certain that - given the coming payday for all the members of the Cunningham family - this isn't one of them. They hit the jackpot no matter what happens here. Cade might as well have fun in college with his elite hoops friends and win at the highest level if that's what he's really interested in.

Just my take.

That's a safe pick. The further we get away from BBM I think we lose momentum in the recruitment. That's just the way these things have seemed to go recently.

Or the "momentum" was just hype generated by a media base that requires the lifeblood of clicks, followers and web hits.

Yes, Clarke is really confident we land Cade, but last year's class was confident we'd land some guys like Wiseman, McDaniels, etc.

I think the real smoke is with Boston's comments regarding the unknown big man. Nothing I've heard about Cade Cunningham has convinced me of anything outside of the fact that he liked UK and its pitch.

Plenty of kids like UK's pitch but choose other schools anyway.

Reactions: kyups01
Or the "momentum" was just hype generated by a media base that requires the lifeblood of clicks, followers and web hits.

Yes, Clarke is really confident we land Cade, but last year's class was confident we'd land some guys like Wiseman, McDaniels, etc.

I think the real smoke is with Boston's comments regarding the unknown big man. Nothing I've heard about Cade Cunningham has convinced me of anything outside of the fact that he liked UK and its pitch.

Plenty of kids like UK's pitch but choose other schools anyway.
Or the momentum was an 18 yr-old getting excited prior to, during, and immediately after a recruiting visit. I don't get too swept up in recruiting scoop until we know when an announcement date is set. Before that point there doesn't seem to be a very high correlation between positive news on prospects and a commitment.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
I guess it just depends. I mean, would it really be an act of betrayal if Cade didn't go to OSU?

Cade will likely make over $100,000,000 in his NBA career. Surely Cannen gets a few million off that (plus, maybe he gets a full time gig as Cade's trainer or agent). I mean, the hilarious irony here is that once Cade gets drafted (even if he goes to OSU), Cannen might just leave OSU anyway and follow Cade to the league in some capacity of assistance.

So the "blood is thicker than water" thing makes sense in most examples, but I'm certain that - given the coming payday for all the members of the Cunningham family - this isn't one of them. They hit the jackpot no matter what happens here. Cade might as well have fun in college with his elite hoops friends and win at the highest level if that's what he's really interested in.

Just my take.
Hope your suggestions are correct and he picks the place that will be more fruitful to his NBA career..We still have a shot though.

I am still hearing Oklahoma state is the pick even after a 10/10 on a scale regarding his official visit to Kentucky. His brother didn’t get hired for nothing .

I am still hearing Oklahoma state is the pick even after a 10/10 on a scale regarding his official visit to Kentucky. His brother didn’t get hired for nothing .

Picking Duke or UNC or even KU, I can understand, but if you want to win and I assume Cunningham likes to win, then you don’t go to OK St. to play basketball. They have very little talent and might very well be on probation. For a competitor, it doesn’t make sense.

I know it’s his brother, but if you are a OAD lottery pick, why waste your one year in the NIT or no postseason? They aren’t keeping your brother around after you leave anyway.

So you believe that OK st are willing to put up with another below 500 year, just so they can watch Cade be a one man show for the 2020-21 season, and then will have to fire the entire staff after he is gone, because even with Cade they probably miss their 4th straight tournament. Also, while putting up with all this mediocrity for one recruit, they will be waiting for NCAA penalties.

So you believe that OK st are willing to put up with another below 500 year, just so they can watch Cade be a one man show for the 2020-21 season, and then will have to fire the entire staff after he is gone, because even with Cade they probably miss their 4th straight tournament. Also, while putting up with all this mediocrity for one recruit, they will be waiting for NCAA penalties.
It’s possible and likely if the get Cade then a couple others will follow. Maybe not 5 star guys but decent players. I hope my opinion is totally wrong but just can’t get past the fact they hired his brother . Can anyone name someone that didn’t go where their family was employed

What choice do they have? They are terrible. Cunningham is a once in a lifetime recruit for them. They don’t get many 5-stars let alone top 5 players.

It’s possible and likely if the get Cade then a couple others will follow. Maybe not 5 star guys but decent players. I hope my opinion is totally wrong but just can’t get past the fact they hired his brother . Can anyone name someone that didn’t go where their family was employed

Only if you follow recruiting and the Kentucky Wildcats.

Or hire a coach that can recruit and coach, instead of using shady tactics. Maybe they can hire a new staff member every year as long as he has a family member that he can bring with them and is a good basketball player.

No offense intended, and I mean that, but you never seem to know what you're talking about. I don't recall that you've ever had solid "insider" info. I could be wrong. If so, I'll apologize. Your stuff seems to summarize recent rumors and you package them as fact.

Last edited:

The other side to that coin is that a year from now, Cade's brother can just follow him to the NBA and become his agent or trainer or some other representative gig.

Cade's going to have a hundred million in the bank before he's 30. I think big brother will come out okay in all of this.

Tyrese Maxey

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT