ADVERTISEMENT

The most underated Guard to play at Kentucky was...

Probably Doron Lamb. Because he played 3rd or 4th fiddle both seasons he played, but guy was a glue player on 2 of UK's better teams. He doesn't get nearly the credit other guards do.

He definitely does not get the credit he deserves. The guy did lead our team in shooting in 2012 (on attempts) and obviously we know what he did in the NCAA Title game against KU. He was our 3rd leading scorer in 2011, which I had forgot.

I still say epps. Is this any guard position?

Grew up idolizing Shepp. Can't go wrong with that. I was actually a towel boy for three Kentucky girls games in the mid 90's when his wife played. My sister was a basketball player and I've got many fond memories of shep and her.

Davender is a good call and I will throw Roger Harden into the mix. Good FT shooter and dished the dimes; especially his SR year.

The answer to this question is Saul Smith. He is 10th all-time in Assists and 16 all-time in Steals, but when you mention his name most fans immediately have a negative opinion of him. Even mentioning his name on this thread will probably set off some new round of hate. However, if you looked at every other player in the top 20 list for each of those categories it is essentially a who's who of Kentucky greats. For example, in the assist category Smith ranks ahead of players like John Pelfrey, Remel Bradley, Keith Bogans, Dickie Beal, Larry Conley and Jeff Shepherd. No one would ever question their ability or place in Kentucky history. For some reason, not only does Smith not get any level of recognition, he is flat out despised by some parts of our fan base.

So, in terms of under-appreciated, both then and now, no other Kentucky player comes close. It's a shame because the kid always played hard and always represented the school well. But I doubt he ever gets his due.

That would be me, Ravi Moss.

hi-res-56327762_crop_north.jpg

Jeff Sheppard is possibly the most over appreciated and overrated guard ever. He gets Rex like admiration and wasn't near the player.

I'd go with Lamb. He was the perfect college two guard.

Mike Casey..Rest in peace..

Underrated?

Mike Casey was a great college player.

Heralded when he entered UK as a KY Mr. Basketball and KY state champ, he was 3-time 1st team all-SEC.

He was actually the best of those Super Sophs (Casey, Issel, and Pratt) -- again as a sophomore.

When college basketball was dazzled by Pete Maravich's style and high scoring, Coach Rupp said he would take Casey over Maravich (they were the same age/class).

Unfortunately Casey was never the same after the car crash.

Reactions: UKCatnNC
Dirk Minniefield.

I think he could have had a successful NBA career.

Loaded with natural ability, (like too many others) he let his career go to waste because of his personal demons.

Last edited:
Reactions: trinity45
Easy one. Anthony Epps. The consummate team player and leader. He was clutch as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT