ADVERTISEMENT

The most underated Guard to play at Kentucky was...

Jeff Sheppard is possibly the most over appreciated and overrated guard ever. He gets Rex like admiration and wasn't near the player.

I'd go with Lamb. He was the perfect college two guard.
Sheppard led us and won us a title with sub par coaching. Yep, overrated.

Underrated?

Mike Casey was a great college player.

Heralded when he entered UK as a KY Mr. Basketball and KY state champ, he was 3-time 1st team all-SEC.

He was actually the best of those Super Sophs (Casey, Issel, and Pratt) -- again as a sophomore.

When college basketball was dazzled by Pete Maravich's style and high scoring, Coach Rupp said he would take Casey over Maravich (they were the same age/class).

Unfortunately Casey was never the same after the car crash.
What may have been underrated about Casey is the matter of the likelihood of Ky dethroning ucla had Casey not been injured. His loss made a difference in what would probably have been another banner.

I would have to go with Rex Chapman and Jodie Meeks. Would have loved to seen Jodie play on one of Calipari's teams with his shooting and the players he would have been surrounded by.

Gerald Fitch. Bad ass but not much pub before or during uk career.

I agree with you on Fitch. He was a last minute recruit and lower rated than one or two other Georgia players that we were considering. Tubby found a hidden gem in Gerald.

In my life time I can think of 3:

Hawkins- especially his senior year. Imo we were better last season when he was on the court than Briscoe. But Briscoe got all the pub of being UK's 3rd best guard. But I thought that title belonged to Hawkins.

Fitch- like another poster said, he was a great guard for UK. Physical, good shooter, good defender, etc. but didn't get as much attention as I think he deserved.

Teague- he was overshadowed by his great teammates. He had MKG, Miller, Jones, AD, and Lamb getting most of the attention. Teague also got a lot of criticism that year but he ran that team very well.

Reactions: morgousky
Haven't read this entire thread, so I'm sure plenty have said the same thing, but the answer has to be Epps.

As talented as that '96 team was, they didn't start clicking until Epps started running the point. Not flashy. Just steady.

Travis Ford.

Was a beast and really under appreciated, in large part to his actions.

In my life time I can think of 3:

Hawkins- especially his senior year. Imo we were better last season when he was on the court than Briscoe. But Briscoe got all the pub of being UK's 3rd best guard. But I thought that title belonged to Hawkins.

Fitch- like another poster said, he was a great guard for UK. Physical, good shooter, good defender, etc. but didn't get as much attention as I think he deserved.

Teague- he was overshadowed by his great teammates. He had MKG, Miller, Jones, AD, and Lamb getting most of the attention. Teague also got a lot of criticism that year but he ran that team very well.
This. Teague was my answer as well.

Reactions: Jmeeks54thebest
I can't say Bogans was underrated but he was underappreciated in my opinion. He rarely is mentioned among UK's elite players but is the 4th all time leading scorer.

Last edited:
Reactions: jhol
I would go with a tie between Gerald Fitch and Ed Davender, both were really good and played in the shadow of UK greats Tayshaun/Bogans and Rex.
Speaking of Bogans he is definitely the most underappreciated player in UK history. Had he had a better JR year and not gotten hurt and led us to the 2003 FF, he would have been revered.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT