ADVERTISEMENT

The Inevitable on Reed Sheppard

Yeah kind of what I was talking about. I don’t tend to pay much attention to him. During the coaching search he seemed to constantly want to appear to be out in front of things, but didn’t seem to really know that much.
I feel like Matt Jones should never be taken as an “insider” who knows information, but more as an analyst/commentator who is good at discussing and analyzing information that’s already known

He could have also been hinting at Jeff joining the staff
Don’t read to much into it all and don’t get your hopes up too much
I’m hoping like crazy Reed gives us one more year but totally understand if he doesn’t

What are mocks saying post tournament ? I really don’t think we’re talking about a top ten pick. Maybe end of lottery?

Reactions: Girthang
A lot of people have been on here saying the draft class is weak this year, so Sheppard has to go.

Also hearing people say that the ‘24 recruiting class is one of the weakest ever.

So if the draft is weak and the best guys leave this year and the guys replacing them are an even weaker group, won’t next year’s draft most likely be even weaker?

I get it. There’s a reason I don’t pay much attention. I tend to like more in depth analysis vs. idle gossip. Different strokes.

Same here. I usually wait til the smoke clears to read much anymore. No point in getting worked up about anything as wrong as people constantly are. This coaching search was a perfect illustration of that

Reactions: Aike
He could have also been hinting at Jeff joining the staff
Don’t read to much into it all and don’t get your hopes up too much
I’m hoping like crazy Reed gives us one more year but totally understand if he doesn’t

That first line is exactly what I was thinking. Either Jeff OR his wife

If Reed was returning, he would have been introduced today as the captain of next year’s team. And Rupp would have broken decibel levels.

Thus, I believe he is gone. They would have otherwise capitalized on the moment.
It’s quite possible that his decision is not 100% as of yet no matter which way he is leaning. Still has the nba pre draft camps to attend as well. I don’t think it’s likely he comes back but if anyone in his perceived draft position was to come back it would be him.

To all the people telling us to not get our hopes up:

Don’t worry about me, I’m a big boy, I can take being disappointed. I can take being let down. It happens.

But my counter is this: why can’t I have hope? Nothing wrong with hoping for the best and preparing for the worst.

Even if I tell myself Reed isn’t coming back, it’s still going to hurt if he decides to leave.

Even if the brain knows it’s a long shot, the heart wants what the heart wants. And the heartbreak will be the same, regardless of what I tell myself.

Don’t worry about me, I’m a big boy, I can take being disappointed. I can take being let down. It happens.

But my counter is this: why can’t I have hope? Nothing wrong with hoping for the best and preparing for the worst.

Even if I tell myself Reed isn’t coming back, it’s still going to hurt if he decides to leave.

Even if the brain knows it’s a long shot, the heart wants what the heart wants. And the heartbreak will be the same, regardless of what I tell myself.
And this is fair
Understand and empathize with you friend

That's why I wouldn't tell you that. I still have that hope until he tells me otherwise. I don't care whether others think it's foolish or stupid.

I feel like Matt Jones should never be taken as an “insider” who knows information, but more as an analyst/commentator who is good at discussing and analyzing information that’s already known
All of Matt Jones enemies must be on Rupp rafters. The crowd gave him a similar ovation to former players. I don't listen to him, but he's a more popular than his few haters on him give him credit for..

Reactions: ghorn19 and KFuqua
3-8th pick.

Haven’t seen one yet where he’s not in that range.

Key word- yet.

The real mocks come out when all the pre draft stuff is done and all the foreign players added.

I could see him having a fall to the mid to late teens. He showed a lot of holes in his game vs Oakland.

Reactions: W1LDCAT22
All of Matt Jones enemies must be on Rupp rafters. The crowd gave him a similar ovation to former players. I don't listen to him, but he's a more popular than his few haters on him give him credit for..
He’s definitely got a huge following. I don’t have a strong opinion either way on him. He annoys me sometimes (especially with how defensive he gets on twitter sometimes) but he can be entertaining too. I usually listen to postgame shows after big wins/losses

If he doesn't get a lottery guarantee, he should come back and let it rip with the new offense. He'd have a green light and a coach who would actually run on and off ball screens for him to get higher quality shots in the half court.

From everything I have gathered, from the vibes, the coach talk, and all of the whispers, I now believe that Reed Sheppard will be returning to the University of Kentucky for his Sophomore season. There will be no greater story.
This is what you want to believe. It would make me happy too. But the chances are slim.

From everything I have gathered, from the vibes, the coach talk, and all of the whispers, I now believe that Reed Sheppard will be returning to the University of Kentucky for his Sophomore season. There will be no greater story.
Hope you're right. Can you imagine the first time at Rupp Perry & Reed are in the backcourt together if Sheppard returns? Place will be electric.

I understand that a lot of people are convinced that Reed is heading to the NBA now; I'm just not convinced. I think if Cal was still here, he would be gone. I think with Mark Pope here, there's a chance he stays. Money is not everything and Reed saw a great example of what it means to be a part of the BBN yesterday. The one and done route isn't the way to really become a Kentucky legend and Reed grew up around a Kentucky legend and sees everything that goes with it. I know that a lot of you don't agree with me, but I still hold out hope that playing for Kentucky means something to Reed and that he wants to be a part of the legacy; just like his dad.

Do players still have until mid summer to withdraw from the draft as long as they haven't signed an agent? If so, I could see Reed going through the draft process and making a final decision once he's done the drills and gotten all the feedback.

If there are still players to be added from overseas, that does complicate things. I would love for Reed to come back, but more than that, I want him to make the best, most informed decision for him.

What all have you gathered that leads you to believe this? What do you mean by “vibes” specifically? What coach talk are you referencing?

I just don’t see it but I very much hope I’m wrong.

Reactions: sefus12
Reed will be back. And he will be back for one reason: he is one of us. It's as simple as that. Like every single one of the rest of us, Reed Sheppard didn't grow up dreaming about playing in the NBA. He grew up dreaming about playing for Kentucky. He's going to get enough NIL $$$ to more than tidy him over for another year. The NBA opportunity will still be there. But he will never get another opportunity to play for his father's former teammate at Kentucky.

Reed will be back. And he'll be Mark Pope's version of Jamal Mashburn, electrifying the fan base as he leads our team while bridging that gap between our past and our future. It is the kind of storyline you only see play out in books. And it is going to be beautiful.

Respectfully disagree. He’s gone imo.

That being said it would be incredible if he stayed. Just not going to happen.

What makes Reed's situation unique is his family history and even more that if he comes back
he might make more money next year on shirt sales and such than his NBA salary would be.
When he does go to the NBA salaries will be higher and his first deal will be bigger. It's not
like he's giving up $25-30 million like some are saying. In the short run and long run it might
be more profitable for Reed Sheppard to be at UK next year.

If he’s drafted between 5-7 he would be making about $20 million dollars.

He’d be making a mistake to leave. He is not ready. Needs at least another year of seasoning if not two. He’s 6-2, a half step slow, and can’t create his own shot (against NBA guys). If Reed wants to have a 10 year NBA career as opposed to a one contract career, he needs to get better.

(Fire away, I’m sure some of you will say I’m crazy.)

I see what you’re saying but he’s also set to make $15-$20 million dollars by leaving now.

Coming back one more year to play college isn’t going to suddenly elevate his game to overcome greatly his supposed deficiencies.

If he does end up leaving I think he’ll do a very solid job on the NBA.

We all thought Herro was too “green” and too slow to leave after 1 year too and he’s killing it in Miami.

He’s an amazing dude and I’d love it but he’s not going to come back. I will gladly eat alllllll the crow if I’m wrong.

People like you are gonna have a lot of crow to eat. I can't see how or why this is the hill you decide to die on because the writing is on the wall. Many posters have gotten downright nasty when anyone mentions the possibilty that Reed may come back.
Jeff was one of my favorite players from the 98 team. Loved him.

Reed was my favorite player (along with Reeves) this year. I would be so excited and euphoric if Reed came back. He’s not going to tho. He’s not going to come back when he’s projected 5-7.

I will gladly eat all the crow if I’m wrong and I want to be wrong. Really badly lol. I just don’t think I am wrong.

Yallll crazy Reed has to go…or even made to go. You can’t ask a potential top5 draft pic to risk it all(injury, draft stock plummet, etc) that would be the most selfish advice ever and it will not be a good look for Kentucky at all.

Risk it all on what more than likely will be a rebuilding year??!! Shiddddd!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT