ADVERTISEMENT

The elephant in the room, passing yardage

To answer this question, I’d recommend watching the game film breakdown on YouTube with former DB Van Hiles from previous games.

He slows the film down and demonstrates multiple times each game that there are guys open besides Ali and Wandale, but Levis isn’t getting thru his reads quick enough OR he hasn’t learned to trust those other guys enough yet to pull the trigger.

Judging by his TD throws to Epps, Bates, and Cummings in previous games, I think he is WILLING to throw to anyone, he just isn’t seeing the whole field fast enough. By the time he gets thru the progressions, some windows that were open have closed, so then he cannot pull the trigger.

I agree with this.

Seems to me he is slow to go from main guys and his accuracy on short throws needs work.

The biggest play of the game last night was 3rd and 2. Fake to CRod and rolled left and threw the ball between two receivers. I don’t know if Riggs was looking for the ball but it was a bad pass.

5-0 is pretty damn good though!!!

Reactions: stuway and yoshukai
There is no doubt our passing game in general and Levis in particular have rough edges which need to be worked out. But Florida is likely the 2nd best defense we will play. Held Alabama to 10 points over the last 3 quarters and shut out Tennessee in the 2nd half. We're just not going to go up-and-down the field against that team they're too good and too fast.

I agree with this.

Seems to me he is slow to go from main guys and his accuracy on short throws needs work.

The biggest play of the game last night was 3rd and 2. Fake to CRod and rolled left and threw the ball between two receivers. I don’t know if Riggs was looking for the ball but it was a bad pass.

5-0 is pretty damn good though!!!
If we are talking about the same play, not sure if we are or not honestly. If we are, Rigg messed that play up, he has to engage the DE long enough to break his stride, then slip out three yards for the pass. It was play side, Levis was rolling that way and the DE basically rushed unimpeded. They run this one a lot in the NFL, works beautifully if the TE gets the block right.

Combination of all of it. Frankly the challenges are similr to what we have had for several years except we have Robinson and Levi’s has a big arm and is a more willing runner into contact than what Wilson became over time.

Run blocking o-line. We don’t just ole but we don’t give great amounts of time either.
QB with accuracy issues and not great footwork.
While playmaking has improved with Robinson we still don’t have much else.

There is no doubt our passing game in general and Levis in particular have rough edges which need to be worked out. But Florida is likely the 2nd best defense we will play. Held Alabama to 10 points over the last 3 quarters and shut out Tennessee in the 2nd half. We're just not going to go up-and-down the field against that team they're too good and too fast.
And to me , this is exciting. We haven’t even scratched the surface of what this offense can do .

Reactions: stuway
If we win 1 out of the next 3 I think it will be called a miracle. UGA, LSU are doubtful. Miss State could be winable. then UT who scores a bunch. UL, Vandy and NMex St are certainly games we could/should win. It could be 9-3 or 8-4 both decent seasons. Still I am hoping for another miracle of foot-shooting like last night. Fla was their own worst enemy. How does a team get motion penalties 8 times?
Why is LSU doubtful? They are decent but I dont think they are better than Florida and we beat them.

I thought our O-Line played a tremendous game. Levis seems to have very little awareness in the pocket, it’s like he’s not aware when he has good protection. If he knows he doesn’t have the protection though, he’s actually good at escaping the pocket and picking up yards on the ground. So it was kinda strange to see him get caught up a few times when he had clear lanes to scramble out of the pocket. Overall, Levis is the most complete QB of the Stoops era, but he is probably not an NFL QB and definitely has some limitations.

Last edited:
I'm glad this hasn't turned into a Levis bashing thread. He's a first-time starter, playing at a new school for a new offensive coordinator. IMHO, he has the highest ceiling as a passing quarterback of any UK starting qb in years. If he can improve his accuracy by 10-15% and develop better field vision, he's gonna work out just fine. In the meantime, he does enough in the passing game to take some of the defensive pressure off our run. On top of all of that, he's got grit and he wants to win. (Maybe too much grit; protect yourself young man!) I really hope/expect in Levis's second year that our passing game will hit the next gear.

Pass blocking still isn’t getting it done. Grade A quality run blocking. Middle school quality pass protection. Which has been the case since 2007 at least.

I thought after the first couple games he would be serviceable but he’s been awful the few games. Last night was Terry Wilson bad with his accuracy. He completed 7 passes with probably 5 of them being screen passes. He’s tough as nails but we need to be a running team and rely on our defense. I wanted to kill Coen last night especially on that 3rd and 2 late in the game and he threw the damn ball. nearly cost us the game.

people gave a lot of crap to Gran but at least he understood he didn’t have a good QB. Coen seems to want to mix it up regardless of the talent of the QB. Levis is not good and Coen better find a way to use him better if he wants to throw the ball as much as he wants to

• Love
Reactions: ManitouDan
I would like to see Levis given fewer options. Start with two reads and then work up to three. If nothing is there then take off running and get what you can. Right now I think he gets a little over-whelmed with processing everything.

Also, are there any folks in Lexington who can our QB skeet shooting? He needs help learning how to lead a target in the worse way!

I'll remind you that Levis came here after being a Backup....

He is simply not that good.

Blame Stoops for NEVER recruiting and landing a top notch QB.
Yeah! then we have to put up with crap like 5-0,3-0. We'd be winning these games by 60 if not for Stoops evil conspiracy to constantly sabotage the aerial attack. I'm good with zero passing yards next week as long as we emerge 6-0.

One of the sacks I'll say was a missed block by smoke on a d lineman. Not his fault. But in the end its a team game.
In Smokes defense, he did try to cut block the guy, but was outweighed and outsized by 100 lb. I think Levis needs to calm down in the pocket. He seems to me to get more and more excitable as the plays come faster. If he can just take a breath, and focus, I think we will see improved short yardage passes.

Or passing stats would look a lit better except for Florida tackling Wan'dale on the post route and not even getting a flag.

Judging by his TD throws to Epps, Bates, and Cummings in previous games, I think he is WILLING to throw to anyone, he just isn’t seeing the whole field fast enough. By the time he gets thru the progressions, some windows that were open have closed, so then he cannot pull the trigger.

Those were all schemed. Levis locks on wandale, missing other open players, and just isn't consistently accurate.

He has all the tools. He just isn't there yet

To answer this question, I’d recommend watching the game film breakdown on YouTube with former DB Van Hiles from previous games.

He slows the film down and demonstrates multiple times each game that there are guys open besides Ali and Wandale, but Levis isn’t getting thru his reads quick enough OR he hasn’t learned to trust those other guys enough yet to pull the trigger.

This. He is still learning.

Those were all schemed. Levis locks on wandale, missing other open players, and just isn't consistently accurate.

He has all the tools. He just isn't there yet

Agreed - I was just using those to illustrate he is willing to throw to other guys, which is why I agree that he only doesn’t because he isn’t seeing the field quick enough

A new QB and new O-coordinator should put 450 yards a game up in the SEC through the air

Look at all the yrds 3-2 Miss State under Mike Leach puts up!!!

Reactions: R.O.T.Muckinfush
He has problems with his touch on short passes. Fires bullets. If they aren’t perfect there’s no time for the receiver to adjust.
Exactly, there were a couple against Florida that if the touch had of been there and where the back could have caught in stride would have been major gains that we might have scored. Yes, I agree that he needs improvement, especially spreading the ball around, but with no spring game and limited time with his receiver it about what I expected. You have to love his effort and physicality, hurdling the Florida player for extra yardage type plays will wantball his teammates to play extra hard with him. IMO he'll keep improving the longer he's in Levis's offense.

I hear what you are saying to some degree as Levis definitely has some limitations at this point. However, I have a few questions for you:

1) do you not think he can improve? I remember this kid named Woodson that had a great arm but took a ton of sacks as a FR and SO because he wasn’t reading defenses well (which I think is Levis’s biggest problem). In his JR and SR years, he ended up being decent.

2) How do you define a top notch QB recruit? I would consider 4* guys high level. I know there has been a struggle to sign high level QBs most years, so I agree to a point. That being said, Drew Barker and Beau Allen are both guys that would fit that description. I think Barker was on his way to being a great QB before the injury, and it’s too early to tell on Allen. I think the ground game plan between those signees did hinder the ability to recruit high level QBs. Hopefully, this offense will grow, and that will change. Point is, I think there is hope now that didn’t exist for the last couple of years. Are you willing to give Coen/Stoops a chance to change the perception of the UK offense?
Yes, Levis can improve, but there's probably a reason he was a Backup at Penn St.

Barker and Allen are/were not top notch SEC level QBs. If so, they would be playing a lot more.

Stoops for some reason has ignored the most important position on a football team. It's kind of baffling.

Combination of all of it. Frankly the challenges are similr to what we have had for several years except we have Robinson and Levi’s has a big arm and is a more willing runner into contact than what Wilson became over time.

Run blocking o-line. We don’t just ole but we don’t give great amounts of time either.
QB with accuracy issues and not great footwork.
While playmaking has improved with Robinson we still don’t have much else.
This is a good post and a fair assessment, thus far into the season, reconciling passing results against levels of competition. Hopefully, there is the ability to improve in may ways. There certainly is enough time to do so.

Yes, Levis can improve, but there's probably a reason he was a Backup at Penn St.

Barker and Allen are/were not top notch SEC level QBs. If so, they would be playing a lot more.

Stoops for some reason has ignored the most important position on a football team. It's kind of baffling.
It's not just Stoops. UK has struggled to get a top notch SEC caliber QB for the vast majority of years. It is kind of maddening.....especially when a second rate school like UofL can somehow manage to land guys like LaMar Jackson, Chris Redman and Teddy Bridgewater. Other than Tim Couch and Andre Woodson none of the QB's UK has fielded would start for any other team in the SEC except for possibly Vandy. Levis has lots of potential, but has a ways to go compared to many of the other traditional QB's in the SEC.

I don’t quite understand your point as it seems like the goalposts of your argument are moving a bit (or maybe it’s because we are not thinking the same definition for a top notch SEC QB).

Your original statement to which I am referring:

“Blame Stoops for NEVER recruiting and landing a top notch QB.”

You can’t use statistics from their college career b/c that isn’t recruiting, that’s development. Even if you did, Barker and Allen had/have potential, and I think Barker had turned the corner as he had the physical tools but appeared to turn the corner maturity-wise, but a spine injury derailed that.

So, again…

1) how do you define a top notch QB RECRUIT? 4 star, 5 star?

2) How many years do you allow before you say a QB cannot develop into a top notch SEC QB?

It's not just Stoops. UK has struggled to get a top notch SEC caliber QB for the vast majority of years. It is kind of maddening.....especially when a second rate school like UofL can somehow manage to land guys like LaMar Jackson, Chris Redman and Teddy Bridgewater. Other than Tim Couch and Andre Woodson none of the QB's UK has fielded would start for any other team in the SEC except for possibly Vandy. Levis has lots of potential, but has a ways to go compared to many of the other traditional QB's in the SEC.

Again, it’s easy to say a highly rated recruit didn’t develop, but that isn’t the same as saying that same player wasn’t a top notch RECRUIT

Jackson, 5.8 4-star recruit
Bridgewater, 5.8 4-star recruit

Andre Woodson, 4-star (no RR)
Allen, 5.8 4-star recruit
Barker 5.9 4-star recruit

That doesn’t even account for the fact that UL with Clint Hurt were no doubt cheating/paying recruits when Bridgewater and Jackson were recruited

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: yoshukai
Again, it’s easy to say a highly rated recruit didn’t develop, but that isn’t the same as saying that same player wasn’t a top notch RECRUIT

Jackson, 5.8 4-star recruit
Bridgewater, 5.8 4-star recruit

Andre Woodson, 4-star (no RR)
Allen, 5.8 4-star recruit
Barker 5.9 4-star recruit

That doesn’t even account for the fact that UL with Clint Hurt were no doubt cheating/paying recruits when Bridgewater and Jackson were recruited
I guess it comes down to talent evaluation being subpar then. We are overdue for a top notch QB.

I guess it comes down to talent evaluation being subpar then. We are overdue for a top notch QB.

I’m not saying I don’t (and haven’t) want more from the QB position, but I think the guys they’ve targeted have shown good talent evaluation (Mac Jones, anyone?), but superstar QBs are such a crapshoot.

For example…
Mac Jones, 5.9, 4-star (former UK commit)
Jarren Williams, 5.9, 4-star (former UK commit)

How about non-UK players?
Kyle Trask, 5.3, 2-star
Felipe Franks, 6.0, 4-star

In hindsight, Darin Hinshaw didn’t do a great job of developing QBs, so hopefully Coen changes that dynamic as Levis clearly has the arm talent.

Levis has a lot of the limitations But the one thing he did in those first couple games was make teams fear the deep ball. That’s helped up a lot. At some point he’s gonna have to play better tho. Eventually teams are just gonna force him to beat them.

Levis made some plays hard by throwing hard to catch balls. Both wheel routes to Smoke were behind the RB. While some RBs may have made the catch, turning around to handle a pass that is behind you probably also limits your potential yardage. He also made a similar throw to Bates. While Bates arguably should have caught it, it just was not a good throw. Those passes take some touch and you need to put the ball out in front where your receiver will be. Levis sometimes seems to throw where the receiver IS. The INT simply seemed to be Levis getting jacked up and putting air under the ball. I think he had a man in a seam, he just got too much on it. Throwing the ball too hard and behind his man seems to be a common issue under pressure for the intermediate and short passes. I also think Wandale draws a pass interference at the goal line if Levis did not rocket the ball way out of reach and put it closer to WR.

Levi’s is fine.. just needs to keep improving on
1. Read progression quicker- this involves reading the D at the line of scrimmage
2. Limit, limit, limit turn overs
3. He needs to use his legs when it’s there.. he did vs Florida very well
4. Lean on the running game and play action to open up his ability to throw the long ball.
5. Keep working on his accuracy

it’s all about little things and continually improving.. and not regressing.

I like his leadership and toughness.. swagger ..
And touch on his passes. He throws short passes like he’s trying to throw it through a brick wall and like what you posted, accuracy.

Reactions: mattrudd
I personally think they are walking the line with the running and passing game. If they went all in on passing the ball a lot they obviously would get better, the QB and receivers. But they know it could cost them a game or two doing that. It is simply not enough game reps in the passing game to get really good at it and get more receivers experience. Puts a little more stress on the passer. We need a couple of easy games in a row where we could get away with learning to do this and gain the experience needed doing it live game and still be able to win while getting better at it.

Reactions: yoshukai
Seriously? Jared Lorenzen says Hi!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT