ADVERTISEMENT

The Elephant in the room

Defense is not fixable at this point. We need the best offensive players on the floor and try to outscore everyone.
Actually agree with this. We don’t have players that can play D this year. Put the 4 best offfensive players on the court with Ugo….he can block some shots at least.

Dilly, Shep, Reeves on the court the most.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Dilly. He scored 35 points in the UT loss.

THIRTY FIVE.

But he won't start if we get back to full health.

Is there a UNIVERSE where Justin Edwards scores 30 in a game?

Also: FREE BIG Z!
The Elephant in the room is this is the worst defensive team in Ky basketball history.

do we have any defensive assets?
I don’t think we have many, maybe Ugo and Thiero. Just saying that as much as we want Rob and Reed in to score, I think they end up allowing more points than they make up most times. The best answer would be try a new defense that helps them out but Cal can’t be doing all that. It would cost us 20 million for that kind of coaching.

Rob and Reed are two of the worst defensive liabilities we have. I love them both but it’s true.
Reed is better on defense and offense than DJ. Period. He also shares the ball unlike DJ "Drive to my left" Wagner.

The Elephant in the room is this is the worst defensive team in Ky basketball history.
Not too bright, are ya. The elephant in the room is a phrase that means the subject NOBODY is talking about, which doesn't apply to our defense.

Not too bright, are ya. The elephant in the room is a phrase that means the subject NOBODY is talking about, which doesn't apply to our defense.
Give me a break, like no ones talking about Dillingham not starting or big Z not getting enough PT or Justin Edwards getting to much PT.

And you had to resort to an insult because I didn't agree with your post.

We scored 92 points and lost. There is no elephant in the room. It's February and it's apparent the team is flawed.

We just better hope Wagner and Mitchell get healthy and Cal can get a solid rotation that he sticks with so we can get some cohesion.

Last edited:
Defense is not fixable at this point. We need the best offensive players on the floor and try to outscore everyone.
We won't win many games without defense and rebounding...outscoring teams is wishful thinking i. e. UT, FL, A&M, KU...get the picture?

Maybe I'm in the minority. But I think Dillingham and Shep should come off the bench.

I think DJ and Reeves are the correct choices to start at the guard spots. Then, depending on who's hot and playing well, determines the amount of minutes they all receive.

I'm surprised so many posters on this board just don't see what DJ brings to the table.

Yes it is but irrelevant.
Why yell. Because I’ve been saying this same thing for years, with proof, with common sense logic. Yet people still focus on starting like it’s some magic potion.
Playing from behind matters.

Giving the other team momentum to start the game matters.

Guys coming off the bench feeling like they have to rescue things can cause them to force and get worn out.

Shit matters, man. It's not *the* answer, but it matters. The first 5 minutes of a basketball game matter. Period.

Give me a break, like no ones talking about Dillingham not starting or big Z not getting enough PT or Justin Edwards getting to much PT.

And you had to resort to an insult because I didn't agree with your post.

We scored 92 points and lost. There is no elephant in the room. It's February and it's apparent the team is flawed.

We just better hope Wagner and Mitchell get healthy and Cal can get a solid rotation that he sticks with so we can get some cohesion.
No one was talking about him scoring 35 points. NOBODY. There wasn't a SINGLE thread about it. That's what "elephant in the room" means, champ.

Do you need me to draw you a chart? Stop being obtuse and just take the L.

How can DJ be a liability and it also not be a coincidence we're 0-3 without him? It's either one or the other. He's either a liability and we're better off without him, or he's a key player and him being out is one of the reasons we're 0-3 without him.

Unless you're arguing that he's a liability in certain aspects of his game, in which case he can join every single other player on the team in that regard. Including your golden boy Sheppard who is a major liability with his awful perimeter defense.
Reed was awful against UT. He cannot get by a quick guard like Ziegler and Cal still doesn’t run enough ball screens and good motion to free up shooters for open shots. Go back and watch what UT runs on offense vs what we run. We have a guy standing and dribbling hoping to get by his man so he can draw a help defender. Doesn’t work all that great against teams with those quick guards who can stay in front of our guys. We are so easy to prepare for. And don’t get me started on guarding out of bounds plays.

It doesn't make your point. It only makes you look crazy and besides nobody agrees with you. There's not another coach in America who'd be running these lineups if they coached this team.
Can confirm. No one agrees with you JonW. And if they do they’re either a troll or a Cal lover.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT