ADVERTISEMENT

The elephant in the room, passing yardage

I think everything you are pointing is kind of a wait and see at this point. Not sure Levis has had enough time in this offense, with these receivers and backs to give any kind of definitive assessment. If you are just reading stat lines I'm not sure you get a true feel for the play calls, the 17 number is leading, there are more passing plays called than that, we are just struggling as of late with executing them.

Welcome to the board and thanks for the input.

He played under 2 OCs at Penn State. UK is his third. I'm not going off stat lines alone. I'm going off what I have seen of him at both places. He's not a very accurate thrower. He's a tough as nails leader. He's going to be a better runner than thrower 7 times out of 10.

Enjoy the Florida win. Would love to see y'all beat UGA and LSU as well.

He played under 2 OCs at Penn State. UK is his third. I'm not going off stat lines alone. I'm going off what I have seen of him at both places. He's not a very accurate thrower. He's a tough as nails leader. He's going to be a better runner than thrower 7 times out of 10.

Enjoy the Florida win. Would love to see y'all beat UGA and LSU as well.
Yeah, that's kind of what I was driving at. I didn't realize it was his third OC but that requires even more patience IMO. He got here late so he really only got on field instruction here for a little over a month. Add to that, the whole Offense is learning new schemes, we still have TE and receivers missing their assignments, not unexpected but it doesn't help Levis gain confidence. I have no idea how this will turn out, I like his athletic ability, I like his intelligence, and I like his confidence. If all of that leads to him becoming a really good quarterback, who knows, I think it's more advantageous to start with those qualities beings you can't really coach them. I looks to me like he gets antsy in the pocket, that is causing him to speed his own clock up, that is where I think his biggest area for improvement is. That's a coaching deal and a reps deal, I have faith he will get through it.

I know coach Coen is on this hard and will no doubt figure it out. IMO the big thing they need to work with Will on is moving in the pocket. We leave him in the pocket most of the time on pass plays and he has a tendancy to let the pocket get pushed back into him without moving his feet to get some space.

With his athletic abiltiy I think Coen needs to shorten his reads to just two and drill him to count one two then if not there get to space period. I believe the threat to take off would hold back some of the pressure from defenses and would build confidence in will as well. He seems to get stuck trying to find open guys when 95% of the time if 1 and 2 arent immediately there its not worth looking for ANY QB.

Last edited:
I looks to me like he gets antsy in the pocket, that is causing him to speed his own clock up, that is where I think his biggest area for improvement is. That's a coaching deal and a reps deal, I have faith he will get through it.

We leave him in the pocket most of the time on pass plays and he has a tendancy to let the pocket get pushed back into him without moving his feet to get some space.

The issues he showed at PSU in the pocket were two fold:

1) either too antzy, looking to tuck and run before pressure gets close

2) or zero awareness and liable to take a brutal hit and be injured.

Probably his best performance as a Lion was against OSU '19. He came in and sparked a 17 point comeback after our starter was hurt and already down 21-0.

Threw a late pick in OSU territory that ended a potential scoring drive.

It was a PERFECT play call . The mistake wasn’t on Levis this time. Someone (Cummings or Rigg) did not perform their assignment correctly. You realize we wouldn’t have Wandale if Gran was still the offensive coordinator right? We also would NEVER be able to recruit a top quarterback with your suggestions.
Never in my post did I call for Gran. Just pointing out he understood the lack of talent at QB when he was here. It’s not the perfect play call. As you said, it wasn’t executed properly. That’s a bad time to gamble. You run the ball and even if you don’t get it, the clock still runs or Florida is forced to call a Timeout. Instead, the clock stops, Florida keeps a timeout.

Not sure what you mean by my suggestions won’t be able to recruit a top recruit. Again, I’m saying figure out a way to scheme your QB better if you want to have a balanced attack. I’m not advocating for running the ball constantly. I love a balanced attack but you have to have the weapons in order to execute. Our strengths today is running the football and defense. Play to your strengths until you get what you need or scheme it better. More slants and outs. Quick 3 step drops. More screens putting Robinson into space vs deep routes that take time to develop and have an accurate QB to deliver the football. We have neither of those things right now. Our oline was recruited to run block not pass block and our QB isn’t very accurate.

He’s a new QB in a new system with plenty of upside.

I’m really impressed with his heart and toughness.

That scramble where he leaped over a defender says a lot about him.

I love his intangibles and desire.

IMO the big thing they need to work with Will on is moving in the pocket

In his first game he looked great in the pocket. He slid and moved without bailing out. Since then...he's slowly regressed. Imo it's no coincidence the rest of his play regressed as well

Reactions: Soupbean
I love his intangibles and desire.

In his first game he looked great in the pocket. He slid and moved without bailing out. Since then...he's slowly regressed. Imo it's no coincidence the rest of his play regressed as well
He did you are right, was better earlier on.

I noticed several times lately he lets the line get backed into his feet to where he has no room to release it even if he wanted. Has to feel that 4 foot perimeter of space and shuffle away. But not just for him but thats why I'm a big believer in two reads and go approach. The percentage of good things that happen out of the pocket on 3rd and 4th progressions have to be really low. But the percentage of good things that happen with an athletic QB that takes off alluding a rush after a shorter look are really good and devastating to a defense.

Also think he needs t get away from feeling like he can snap it from his hip anytime he wants to . I know he can (just like his preseason video) but it makes it hard to be accurate thowing that way late.

Never in my post did I call for Gran. Just pointing out he understood the lack of talent at QB when he was here. It’s not the perfect play call. As you said, it wasn’t executed properly. That’s a bad time to gamble. You run the ball and even if you don’t get it, the clock still runs or Florida is forced to call a Timeout. Instead, the clock stops, Florida keeps a timeout.

Not sure what you mean by my suggestions won’t be able to recruit a top recruit. Again, I’m saying figure out a way to scheme your QB better if you want to have a balanced attack. I’m not advocating for running the ball constantly. I love a balanced attack but you have to have the weapons in order to execute. Our strengths today is running the football and defense. Play to your strengths until you get what you need or scheme it better. More slants and outs. Quick 3 step drops. More screens putting Robinson into space vs deep routes that take time to develop and have an accurate QB to deliver the football. We have neither of those things right now. Our oline was recruited to run block not pass block and our QB isn’t very accurate.
I don’t disagree with anything you said here .

Reactions: kats23
Who did you play week 1?

Your answer lies within that.

Played Chattanooga too. They're comparable and he still followed the same regression.

Also don't look now but ULM is 4-1 and likely to go bowling. A long way from the worst team in D1, like we were told

Imo the bigger issue is having more film. I'd wager his numbers vs zone are noticably worse than vs man. Teams are taking notice now we have to help him adjust

Last edited:
Seem like part of the problem is the lack of quality receivers, other than Robinson and Ali. It hard to tell from just the TV shots. Levis fails to find an open receiver and has to run. Is this because the other were not open or is it Levis not seeing t

You are responding to “basketball only “ idiot.
That's 3 yoshukai. # 1 I am not an idiot. @ 2 I am a big Basketball fan and came on the FB board to express my opinion if that's ok with you? Are you the FB Policeman of this board? I am hoping to win all the remaining games but in reality that prolly won't happen. I was hoping that we could possibly win one of the next 3, that's all. Peace and love brother.

That's 3 yoshukai. # 1 I am not an idiot. @ 2 I am a big Basketball fan and came on the FB board to express my opinion if that's ok with you? Are you the FB Policeman of this board? I am hoping to win all the remaining games but in reality that prolly won't happen. I was hoping that we could possibly win one of the next 3, that's all. Peace and love brother.
Yeah , you came to the football board for the first time in over a year just to say it will be a miracle if we won 1 outa the next 3 games . You’re not fooling anyone basketball Benny.

Reactions: TIE543
I know coach Coen is on this hard and will no doubt figure it out. IMO the big thing they need to work with Will on is moving in the pocket. We leave him in the pocket most of the time on pass plays and he has a tendancy to let the pocket get pushed back into him without moving his feet to get some space.

With his athletic abiltiy I think Coen needs to shorten his reads to just two and drill him to count one two then if not there get to space period. I believe the threat to take off would hold back some of the pressure from defenses and would build confidence in will as well. He seems to get stuck trying to find open guys when 95% of the time if 1 and 2 arent immediately there its not worth looking for ANY QB.

Also think we need to work on his release. He's developed a habit of throwing off his armpit with the quick no step release. A low release with a hard thrower is going to mean high trajectory throws when you're trying to get them over a rush first. Soft throws can come back down, hard stuff like Will throws cant start out from a low take off position.
That is exactly what happened on his interception. That ball was released very low .

Yeah , you came to the football board for the first time in over a year just to say it will be a miracle if we won 1 outa the next 3 games . You’re not fooling anyone basketball Benny.
So what I like basketball more. I used to have season tix at Stoll for 6-7 years. Let's see what happens in the next 3 games then we'll have something certain to talk about, if I am welcome here. No one else seemed to mind, lighten up bro. We both like the same school.

Reactions: 23jumpboy
So what I like basketball more. I used to have season tix at Stoll for 6-7 years. Let's see what happens in the next 3 games then we'll have something certain to talk about, if I am welcome here. No one else seemed to mind, lighten up bro. We both like the same school.
We're 5-0 and 3-0 in the SEC, I'd say we have plenty to talk about now.

I went back and watched some oof the game last night after being there live ... seemed like he held the ball way too long multiple times . I hope this team is able to emotionally get up again for another SEC heavy weight ., Yes I know LSU isn't Bama or Georgia , but they are not Vandy either . I think we are rock solid versus the run , but how will we be against a team that throws it a ton ? We shall see , but the offense has to wake up , just has to . We won the last two games with almost no help from the O . And we had some good fortune for sure , that busted play where the snap about got away from Will and he turned it into a first down and Florida guys knee being down . Both difference makers that went our way . Got to get some consistent passing that isn't just screens .

Played Chattanooga too. They're comparable and he still followed the same regression.

Also don't look now but ULM is 4-1 and likely to go bowling. A long way from the worst team in D1, like we were told

Imo the bigger issue is having more film. I'd wager his numbers vs zone are noticably worse than vs man. Teams are taking notice now we have to help him adjust
First game there wasn’t any film on him in this offense. Now teams know what they are taking away and what you want to make him have to try to do. The film continues to build on what his strengths and weaknesses are. He and the offense both have to be able to respond to the things they haven’t been able to do well and improve on those. No secrets at this point

Lots of old school folks went to football games back then but didn’t have any expectations or even desire to have a good football program. You were probably one of the ones that wanted to give Rupp a Cadillac and Bear Bryant a timex .It’s people like you that held our football program back for decades. And everyone else is just ignoring you .Just go back to the basketball board, nobody wants your negativity.

Last edited:
Lots of old school folks went to football games back then but didn’t have any expectations or even desire to have a good football program. You were probably one of the ones that wanted to give Rupp a Cadillac and Bear Bryant a timex .It’s people like you that held our football program back for decades. And everyone else is just ignoring you .Just go back to the basketball board, nobody wants your negativity.
Whoa you’re going next level with the accusations toward the Colonel! Pushing blame on him for football futility

Reactions: ColonelCat
Whoa you’re going next level with the accusations toward the Colonel! Pushing blame on him for football futility
The dude hasn posted on the football board since last October ,then after one of the biggest wins in our lifetime getting us to 5-0 he feels compelled to drop in and say “ it will be a miracle if we win 1 of the next 3 games and Tennessee scores a lot of points so we will end up with 3 or 4 losses for sure “ . What do YOU think his agenda is ? I think he’s one of those old people that have always thought a good football program was a threat to the basketball program. I honestly respect trash talking rival fans more than a wolf in sheep’s clothing.

The dude hasn posted on the football board since last October ,then after one of the biggest wins in our lifetime getting us to 5-0 he feels compelled to drop in and say “ it will be a miracle if we win 1 of the next 3 games and Tennessee scores a lot of points so we will end up with 3 or 4 losses for sure “ . What do YOU think his agenda is ? I think he’s one of those old people that have always thought a good football program was a threat to the basketball program. I honestly respect trash talking rival fans more than a wolf in sheep’s clothing.
you are so full of crap it isn't even funny. Does it matter how many posts I have made and the time between them? Way to welcome first timers. Prolly treat them the same, "if you don't have 6000 posts you opinion is somehow tainted." OBTY I never attended a UK game when the Bear was coach. Play the games and we will see how it plays out.

I will never understand the football vs basketball dynamic. I love all UK sports and want us to be great at everything. I know many feel basketball contributed to football being poor here historically, but the times changed many moons ago. Let's just be happy we are now very good in the two major sports. Now let's get back to our QB1 talk. Interesting hearing from PSU fans who saw Levis play there. Their takes sound spot on as to what we've been seeing. Levis made the right call, cause Clifford is a freaking stud. PSU vs UK National Championship this year lol
That would play hell on my poor pops, PSU alum who worked at UK for 20 years. When we played them in Outback bowl in 98 we went. My father and brother prefer PSU when head to head, my sister and I are on the right side with UK.
Beat LSU!!

Who did you play week 1?

Your answer lies within that.
Yeah, the pocket has not been the same since. Even Chattanooga worked hard to mix it up and get pressure. He had a lot of time against ULM. But, that is part of the learning curve. He has the confidence of the coaches and he is, by reputation, a very hard worker. He will get better, something that was hard to do at PSU sitting at second string.

We will get a lot of man coverage this week against LSU. Our receivers will have to get off press coverage and Levis will have tighter windows to throw. Could get some explosive plays with how LSU plays. But the onus will be on our receivers winning their one on one matchups. If we can’t we won’t be very successful throwing the ball. Flip side of that is we can run the corners off and open up runs for Levis and he’s dangerous when he tucks it and runs.

Reactions: JPFisher
I will never understand the football vs basketball dynamic. I love all UK sports and want us to be great at everything. I know many feel basketball contributed to football being poor here historically, but the times changed many moons ago. Let's just be happy we are now very good in the two major sports. Now let's get back to our QB1 talk. Interesting hearing from PSU fans who saw Levis play there. Their takes sound spot on as to what we've been seeing. Levis made the right call, cause Clifford is a freaking stud. PSU vs UK National Championship this year lol
That would play hell on my poor pops, PSU alum who worked at UK for 20 years. When we played them in Outback bowl in 98 we went. My father and brother prefer PSU when head to head, my sister and I are on the right side with UK.
Beat LSU!!
Most of the UK football fans sellout for ALL UK sports. Rarely do you find a UK football first fan who cheers for another college in basketball. Some don’t give a damn about basketball, but if they do, it’s usually UK. There are far more UK basketball fans who have other teams for football. It’s the Cowboy Syndrome. Cheer for “America’s team” in all sports or, maybe, just basketball. That is why, IMO, there are a lot of UK basketball fans who cheer for OSU or Bama in football.

Reactions: stuway
Yeah, the pocket has not been the same since. Even Chattanooga worked hard to mix it up and get pressure. He had a lot of time against ULM. But, that is part of the learning curve. He has the confidence of the coaches and he is, by reputation, a very hard worker. He will get better, something that was hard to do at PSU sitting at second string.

The pocket has been clean. Players are open. The quality of qb play dropped because teams figure out he struggles reading zone coverage.

Man is easy for him because we run so many rubs and the scheme gets first read open. Zone....he has to find the hole and he isn't doing a good job at all. It killed his confidence and the rest of his game suffers.

Will be interesting to see if LSU plays zone. They let leach run up 500 passing yards and wouldn't come out of man; so this could be a week Levis and the passing game really makes some noise

The pocket has been clean. Players are open. The quality of qb play dropped because teams figure out he struggles reading zone coverage.

Man is easy for him because we run so many rubs and the scheme gets first read open. Zone....he has to find the hole and he isn't doing a good job at all. It killed his confidence and the rest of his game suffers.

Will be interesting to see if LSU plays zone. They let leach run up 500 passing yards and wouldn't come out of man; so this could be a week Levis and the passing game really makes some noise
Your comments about zone could be right and make sense. That said, the pocket has not been the same since the ULM game. He had a ton of time on most pass plays for that game.

Agree with both of the above comments. He has time to make throws but he isn't getting a totally clean pocket. I think he needs better recognition pre-snap, that will speed up his decision making. He looks as though he wants to wait and see if play is going be open. I think as he gets quicker, sees where the advantage is going to be pre-snap, he won't lock on near as much.

If Derek Stingley is playing, this will be a great test for Wan'Dale. Dude is an absolute monster out there at corner.

Beat LSU!!
This.

It is obnoxious and the majority of us love both/ all UK sports. But its way more prevalent on this board and an ever running theme with some of the "football only" fans and they constantly go there. You rarely get the same "go away football guy" nonsense on the basketball board. It is almost like UofL little brother syndrome but it is completely unnecessary. In the modern age of TV contracts and billions of $$$, there is plenty of room for both programs to be prioritized by the administration and we have one of the biggest, most passionate fanbases in the Nation...In fighting is divisive and counter productive.

Your comments about zone could be right and make sense. That said, the pocket has not been the same since the ULM game. He had a ton of time on most pass plays for that game.

It's clean just not pristine. The sec has dawgs and it won't be perfect. In the ULM game he stepped and slid beautifully. When his confidence started to fall, he regressed on everything.

So far zone really has him confused. Not sure we can scheme him through it other than give him a one side read and have him just take off if it isn't there

Your take is one that a poster or two over our way made: it's hard to improve as the second string QB.

And in some instances, it probably is true.

The big thing about playing QB though is having "it". When your time comes, you have to have that internal clock. You have to feel pressure. You have to anticipate what is coming. You have to maintain your footwork and mechanics while keeping your eyes down field.

It's those things that Levis struggles with. I've seen it since '19 when Clifford beat out the senior QB Tommy Stevens (ended up at Miss State with our former OC Joe Moorhead), who had a similar playing style.

I think it's interesting that your OC hasn't used Will as a runner hardly at all. 29 rushes in 5 games is low. It's what makes him dangerous as a QB in my opinion.

Reactions: stuway
I think it's interesting that your OC hasn't used Will as a runner hardly at all. 29 rushes in 5 games is low. It's what makes him dangerous as a QB in my opinion.
It's an effort to bring him along as a passer. If he had continued on an upward trajectory with his passing I think they would call more RPOs and designed runs. I think they want him more patient, not all that easy when as soon as you get spooked you take off. We saw this for a couple of years. The other problem with running him more is that our backup isn't quite ready to take over from a physical stand point. He came in slight in stature. All just my opinion but there seems to be a reason they are not using his wheels.

All just my opinion but there seems to be a reason they are not using his wheels.

Makes sense. I'm sure that was talked about before he agreed to come. It's a good idea too. No disputing that.

You have a 5-0 season now though. You beat Florida. Second toughest opponent on the schedule. You have LSU next. They are a far cry from the Joe Burrow Passing Heisman Team. I'm not saying that it's going to be easy, but I think Florida is a better team than the Bayou Bengals.

If LSU stays in Man, you gotta block everything wide and let Levis run the Draw into open space. Get him some unbalanced line looks and QB Power. And then throw off that.

I'm cheering for Will. I want y'all to beat everyone you play. Appreciate the response here. Y'all have a good board. I've kept it open in my tabs.

It's an effort to bring him along as a passer. If he had continued on an upward trajectory with his passing I think they would call more RPOs and designed runs. I think they want him more patient, not all that easy when as soon as you get spooked you take off. We saw this for a couple of years. The other problem with running him more is that our backup isn't quite ready to take over from a physical stand point. He came in slight in stature. All just my opinion but there seems to be a reason they are not using his wheels.
Nah I dont think so , If we were trying to honestly gain a medium to deep[ passing attack this attempts would be getting called . I think Its a Stoops offense being a Stoops offense. Conservative , dont turn it over , throw enough to keep them barely honest . Its Stoops brand , it works , up to a point . We will never tangle seriously and consistently with the top 10 IMO . Beat the hell out of being bad , but without better QB's AND receivers its going to have to be this style of ball .. having said that I think can the recruits , but its in his DNA to be very very conservative . Guys done a helluva job , it isn't always about style points , he's winning at a great clip under our standards

Reactions: lazydave841
Nah I dont think so , If we were trying to honestly gain a medium to deep[ passing attack this attempts would be getting called . I think Its a Stoops offense being a Stoops offense. Conservative , dont turn it over , throw enough to keep them barely honest . Its Stoops brand , it works , up to a point . We will never tangle seriously and consistently with the top 10 IMO . Beat the hell out of being bad , but without better QB's AND receivers its going to have to be this style of ball .. having said that I think can the recruits , but its in his DNA to be very very conservative . Guys done a helluva job , it isn't always about style points , he's winning at a great clip under our standards
See I don't agree with that. I do agree that Stoops like low risks but I think he knows what league we play in, you can't hope to win the East and not be good in all three phases of the game. The pick against UF was a medium route, two of Will's early picks were across the middle. Most plays that we are running this year are ran with 3 or 4 routes, we're not hitting them, more so not progressing to them, but, they are there. It's just going to take some time. To me, it beats the hell out of going in to games knowing you really don't have a shot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT