ADVERTISEMENT

The Elephant in the room

Dilly. He scored 35 points in the UT loss.

THIRTY FIVE.

But he won't start if we get back to full health.

Is there a UNIVERSE where Justin Edwards scores 30 in a game?

Also: FREE BIG Z!

And he was, yet again, inexplicably pulled while on a heater. Imagine if cal didn't constantly yank him.

To save our season, cal just needs to have dilly be that guy like the cal of old. Ya the other guys aren't "going to eat" but so what.

Since monk/fox we lacked that guy that no one else has. Finally we get him and cal has him riding the pine to not hurt other guys' feelings.

Did cal tell drose to back off so other guys could eat? Or Jamal Murray? Monk? Sga? Of course not. Let your best guy be your best guy like the cal of old

And he was, yet again, inexplicably pulled while on a heater. Imagine if cal didn't constantly yank him.

To save our season, cal just needs to have dilly be that guy like the cal of old. Ya the other guys aren't "going to eat" but so what.

Since monk/fox we lacked that guy that no one else has. Finally we get him and cal has him riding the pine to not hurt other guys' feelings.

Did cal tell drose to back off so other guys could eat? Or Jamal Murray? Monk? Sga? Of course not. Let your best guy be your best guy like the cal of old
bUt WhAt AbOuT dJ'S fEeLs

Maybe I'm in the minority. But I think Dillingham and Shep should come off the bench.

I think DJ and Reeves are the correct choices to start at the guard spots. Then, depending on who's hot and playing well, determines the amount of minutes they all receive.

I'm surprised so many posters on this board just don't see what DJ brings to the table.

Dillingham is electric on offense, but frequently gets lost on defense. I think he's fine coming off the bench, with good minutes.
Nothing wrong with the 6th man role subbing for all 3 guards.
He'll still get 25 min a game.
We need DJ back.
I don't like Reed entirely at the 1.
How many head to heads does Reed come out on top the rest of the way playing the one the entire game?

Reactions: rabbitTown
Maybe I'm in the minority. But I think Dillingham and Shep should come off the bench.

I think DJ and Reeves are the correct choices to start at the guard spots. Then, depending on who's hot and playing well, determines the amount of minutes they all receive.

I'm surprised so many posters on this board just don't see what DJ brings to the table.
Hope we have DJ tomorrow night.
Vandy's PG is the best player on the team.

Nothing wrong with the 6th man role subbing for all 3 guards.
He'll still get 25 min a game.
We need DJ back.
I don't like Reed entirely at the 1.
How many head to heads does Reed come out on top the rest of the way playing the one the entire game?
He needs to play 34 min a game. Stop putting him down. Nobody else on the team except Sheppard can really score. Except for Big Z but that's a lost cause, Cal will never play him any real minutes again after he embarrassed Cal.

Reactions: catzcan and UKortho

THIRTY FIVE.

Also: FREE BIG Z!
Dilly and Sheppard back to coming in off the bench. Subbing Edwards and Wagner. Then we catch up and then take the lead. Then Edwards and Wagner are put back in.

Hope we have DJ tomorrow night.
Vandy's PG is the best player on the team.
And you think DJ is a good defender? I don’t know, it seems that all our guards either get blown by or leave their guy open for a three. Guess one can’t guard both possibilities at the same time. Reeves cannot guard anybody, and our other Freshmen guards are too young. And, the coach seemingly will not make adjustments.

THIRTY FIVE.

Also: FREE BIG Z

First of all STARTING IS NOT NEARLY AS IMPORTANT AS MINUTES!!!!!
Secondly Edwards is already down to the 15mpg (15.6 his last 5 games).
Thirdly Dillingham most nights plays as many minutes as his fouls will allow. He has 8 games with 4-5 fouls. And last 3 games he is up to 31.7mpg.

As for big Z, I am now thinking even though he has a lot to learn, might as well put him on the fast track course and force feed him 20mpg. Taking min from Trey

Reactions: grevey35
First of all STARTING IS NOT NEARLY AS IMPORTANT AS MINUTES!!!!!
Secondly Edwards is already down to the 15mpg (15.6 his last 5 games).
Thirdly Dillingham most nights plays as many minutes as his fouls will allow. He has 8 games with 4-5 fouls. And last 3 games he is up to 31.7mpg.

As for big Z, I am now thinking even though he has a lot to learn, might as well put him on the fast track course and force feed him 20mpg. Taking min from Trey
Stop yelling, you look like a crazy person. And nearly NOBODY agrees with you. That's a silly Cal talking point.

If starting doesn't matter, then why not start Rob and Reed and get a lead for a change?

We have athletes, but lack the want to, IMO.
I watched the Arizona game last night. They play with a physicality and aggressiveness on both sides of the floor that zero of our guys have. When they drive to the basket it's explosive. Our team looks like a group of timid high schoolers in comparison. I dont know why this team can't play with any urgency.

And you think DJ is a good defender? I don’t know, it seems that all our guards either get blown by or leave their guy open for a three. Guess one can’t guard both possibilities at the same time. Reeves cannot guard anybody, and our other Freshmen guards are too young. And, the coach seemingly will not make adjustments.
I am starting to think our staff teach our guys to leave their man open on the 3 to help contain ball penetration from the other side. Bad idea imo. I’m not a come fan, but I’d rather go matchup zone standing Onyenso in the paint as a drive deterent, and the other 4 guard a perimeter guy closely. If he gets by you Big O is back there. If his guy goes out to shoot a 3 he can have it.

He needs to play 34 min a game. Stop putting him down. Nobody else on the team except Sheppard can really score. Except for Big Z but that's a lost cause, Cal will never play him any real minutes again after he embarrassed Cal.
Reeves averages the most points on the team. Can he not score?
DJ averages 12 a game. He also can't score?

Just seems like a ridiculous take to back up your original point.

I honestly don’t have a problem with Dilly coming off the bench. My problem is the slow starts to games, the weird rotations, and pulling guys at odd times
The pulling at odd times is a big one. Rob was going off vs KU, Cal sits him and he doesn’t have it when goes back out. Then same thing vs UT. Well he did get it back, but took a few minutes.

Reactions: CatFanInIlliniLand
Reeves averages the most points on the team. Can he not score?
DJ averages 12 a game. He also can't score?

Just seems like a ridiculous take to back up your original point.
DJ is a liability. He misses too many layups and is a shot clock destroyer. And yes I made an error leaving out Reeves. My point still stands. Rob should be starting with Sheppard.

What is wrong with you? Why do you have to yell? Is your home life that bad?
Yes it is but irrelevant.
Why yell. Because I’ve been saying this same thing for years, with proof, with common sense logic. Yet people still focus on starting like it’s some magic potion.

Yes it is but irrelevant.
Why yell. Because I’ve been saying this same thing for years, with proof, with common sense logic. Yet people still focus on starting like it’s some magic potion.
It doesn't make your point. It only makes you look crazy and besides nobody agrees with you. There's not another coach in America who'd be running these lineups if they coached this team.

He is electric, sobering to think we never lead and were outmatched with him scoring 35.

Start him, Reeves, DJ (if his latest ahem injury ever heals), Thiero and Ugo. Electric perimeter and two toughest interior guys. Will never happen I know. Shep, Mitchell and Z in the rotation. AB and Edwards need to be emergency only.

He came out to get a breather. He went back in like 90 seconds later. Players aren’t robots, they get tired.

It isn't just the minutes. He plays enough. He just needs way higher usage just like all of Cal's best guards over the years. He rode those guys to massive success but in the last few years started with the line "everyone eats".

There are just some guys better than others. Dillingham is way better. We need his usage way up and other guys will just have to live with it. Does Cam have that in him?

Reactions: RunninRichie
So...

We just gave up 103 points at home. But yeah, we should ignore the better defensive player so we can get more offense. Makes sense.
Straw man. I never said "ignore" DJ. Nice try, fail.

By the way, if you want to be outraged about someone being ignored, look at Big Z on the bench.

Or is Cal so perfect in your eyes that you can't believe it?

Reactions: catzcan and KFuqua
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT