ADVERTISEMENT

The Elephant in the room

Defense is not fixable at this point. We need the best offensive players on the floor and try to outscore everyone.
They have the length and athleticism to be great defensively but fundamentals aren’t there and cal isn’t a fundamentals coach.

Our only hope is to go 1-3-1 matchups zone and switch to 3-2 or 2-3 at times to give looks to prepare for w spurts of man. But again….Cal doesn’t know how to coach zone and refuses to prioritize winning in college vs NBA prep…..90% of coaches at least try something different even if it’s not their preference if they were in this situation with this much offensive talent. A 10-20% improvement of D makes us a title contender.

Maybe I'm in the minority. But I think Dillingham and Shep should come off the bench.

I think DJ and Reeves are the correct choices to start at the guard spots. Then, depending on who's hot and playing well, determines the amount of minutes they all receive.

I'm surprised so many posters on this board just don't see what DJ brings to the table.

3 losses when DJ was out as I recall. Maybe you are right? I am anxious to have him back for the stretch run.

Dillingham went off when it mattered little. Between his offensive prowess and defensive liabilities, he'll get you +1 points per two possessions. He also got his fourth foul midway through the second half. I fully expected UT to get him switched to Zeigler and foul out with 8 min left.
He is a phenomenal scorer, and if he could touch it every time he might carry the team... but too many others want theirs (e.g. Reeves), so that isn't happening.

I just don't agree with this at all. Sheppard is the best perimeter defender with all the deflections he has. All of our guards have problems defending but to say DJ is better I just don't see it all.

Shep has had some struggles. Let's just hope we get healthy and play well in February and March.

Reactions: westerncat
First of all STARTING IS NOT NEARLY AS IMPORTANT AS MINUTES!!!!!
Secondly Edwards is already down to the 15mpg (15.6 his last 5 games).
Thirdly Dillingham most nights plays as many minutes as his fouls will allow. He has 8 games with 4-5 fouls. And last 3 games he is up to 31.7mpg.

As for big Z, I am now thinking even though he has a lot to learn, might as well put him on the fast track course and force feed him 20mpg. Taking min from Trey
Z has shown that he has certain skills, I don’t expect a repeat of the Ga. game but if we’re going to do anything this year we need to get some use of that talent. With Tre injured and the shortcomings of our two fives there’s plenty of minutes available.

Reactions: westerncat
He needs to play 34 min a game. Stop putting him down. Nobody else on the team except Sheppard can really score. Except for Big Z but that's a lost cause, Cal will never play him any real minutes again after he embarrassed Cal.
How did Big Z embarrasse Cal? By going off for the little time he played vs Georgia? Or something i missed?

Straw man. I never said "ignore" DJ. Nice try, fail.

By the way, if you want to be outraged about someone being ignored, look at Big Z on the bench.

Or is Cal so perfect in your eyes that you can't believe it?
It's not a straw man. Do you understand what Star man means?

Your entire premise is that Dillingham needs more minutes because he scores so good. We don't have a scoring problem. We scored 90 something Saturday night. We have a defensive problem. We gave up 103 points.

So, it seems like a ridiculous point to say that we need to get our best offensive players even more minutes at the expense of our better defensive players.

Reactions: Ranger Danger
It's not a straw man. Do you understand what Star man means?

Your entire premise is that Dillingham needs more minutes because he scores so good. We don't have a scoring problem. We scored 90 something Saturday night. We have a defensive problem. We gave up 103 points.

So, it seems like a ridiculous point to say that we need to get our best offensive players even more minutes at the expense of our better defensive players.
None of our guards could stay in front of their man in a phone booth (for those who remember what those were)

How did Big Z embarrasse Cal? By going off for the little time he played vs Georgia? Or something i missed?
If you notice, our team's collapse happened in the second half of that game and hasn't stopped since. We barely beat a team turmoil in Arkansas and got handled at home twice. And UGA cut the lead from 30 to 9.

Z isn't one of Cal's fair haired boys. He was an afterthought and wasn't supposed to play. You can even watch the video and see Cal in the locker room telling the guys not to try to get him the ball. So Z shows up Bradshaw and Ugo and Cal's not having it. The next times you see Z on the floor he's placed under the basket by Cal so he can't repeat his three pointer performance. And he plays 2-6 minutes. Against UT he's "sick?" Why was he on the bench next to his teammates then? In the age of covid, that seems preposterous.

Yes it is but irrelevant.
Why yell. Because I’ve been saying this same thing for years, with proof, with common sense logic. Yet people still focus on starting like it’s some magic potion.
Who starts absolutely matters. We were down 8-0 in the blink of an eye against Tennessee. We never had a chance because of how the game started. It’s a dumb argument to try to make.

• Love
Reactions: KFuqua and Mike-McD
DJ is a liability.

No, it isn't. I wonder just how injured he really is.

How can DJ be a liability and it also not be a coincidence we're 0-3 without him? It's either one or the other. He's either a liability and we're better off without him, or he's a key player and him being out is one of the reasons we're 0-3 without him.

Unless you're arguing that he's a liability in certain aspects of his game, in which case he can join every single other player on the team in that regard. Including your golden boy Sheppard who is a major liability with his awful perimeter defense.

If you notice, our team's collapse happened in the second half of that game and hasn't stopped since. We barely beat a team turmoil in Arkansas and got handled at home twice. And UGA cut the lead from 30 to 9.

Z isn't one of Cal's fair haired boys. He was an afterthought and wasn't supposed to play. You can even watch the video and see Cal in the locker room telling the guys not to try to get him the ball. So Z shows up Bradshaw and Ugo and Cal's not having it. The next times you see Z on the floor he's placed under the basket by Cal so he can't repeat his three pointer performance. And he plays 2-6 minutes. Against UT he's "sick?" Why was he on the bench next to his teammates then? In the age of covid, that seems preposterous.
Didn’t DJ’s injury coincide with Reed carrying us to a win in the second half at Arkansas? Can’t even trust the injuries on this team. It’s a circus

DJ was out for all 3 of the home losses. That’s not a coincidence.
True, but not for the reason you are implying. If the implication is that DJ is better than Reed/Rob, I would disagree. The reason we lost when he was out is we're better with all three Frosh guards versus only two of them...for a lot of obvious reasons. We almost lost to a bad Arkansas team when Dilly was out (only scored 63 points).

True, but not for the reason you are implying. If the implication is that DJ is better than Reed/Rob, I would disagree. The reason we lost when he was out is we're better with all three Frosh guards versus only two of them...for a lot of obvious reasons. We almost lost to a bad Arkansas team when Dilly was out (only scored 63 points).
Not implying that at all. In agreement with you that we need all 3 available to be at our best. I do believe DJ is the best on ball defender between the 3 and his presence is needed if we want to get back on track and try to make a run.

That also suggests that DJ is a better defender and the D is overall better when he playes. I doubt it was a coincidence that with less Rob and more DJ and Reed, we held Arkansas to a lower point total than any other SEC team we have faced so far, and likely lower than most teams we have played.

Not implying that at all. In agreement with you that we need all 3 available to be at our best. I do believe DJ is the best on ball defender between the 3 and his presence is needed if we want to get back on track and try to make a run.
Brand new Cal defender troll account @Ranger Danger likes this post.

Reactions: UKortho
That also suggests that DJ is a better defender and the D is overall better when he playes. I doubt it was a coincidence that with less Rob and more DJ and Reed, we held Arkansas to a lower point total than any other SEC team we have faced so far, and likely lower than most teams we have played.
What was your account name before you made this one?

Reactions: UKortho
That also suggests that DJ is a better defender and the D is overall better when he playes. I doubt it was a coincidence that with less Rob and more DJ, we held Arkansas to a lower point total than any other SEC team we have faced so far, and likely lower than most teams we have played.
The only problem with your argument is Arkansas is dreadful.

We have athletes, but lack the want to, IMO.
This exactly! We have guys that are physically capable of playing good defense. Either they just don't get what they are being taught or they just don't want to put in the effort. It's the same with rebounding. It's finding a man and putting a body on him and getting after it. It's all "want to", there's no magic to it. Guys just aren't putting in the effort.

Reactions: UKNothinButNet
UK has given up easy baskets for years now........ driving to the basket on a designed play destroys us... and we always have to work so hard for any basket we get because 1 on 1 offense iso is hard...it takes a lot out of a player to get their own shot , a lot.

Its probably better off sagging off the 3pt line so much no one can score against us within 15 ft and if the opponent shoots 45+ %... it will need to be making 28 threes to beat us....... people want to talk about reed and others not guarding the 3.......... well if they didnt destroy us going to the basket for the easiest layups , those 3's wouldnt have mattered. It was the same damn plays that almost lost the first UF game and Cal didnt adjust or do anything different in the 2nd game.... Cal's a freaking disgrace of coaching.

Their best player walked away from the team right before the game.
According to your thread here, so were we!

Lol, Davis averages 6 pts, 4 rbs and shoots 35% overall and 24% from 3. You reall think he is their best player?

The Office Lol GIF by NETFLIX

According to your thread here, so were we!

Lol, Davis averages 6 pts, 4 rbs and shoots 35% overall and 24% from 3. You reall think he is their best player?

The Office Lol GIF by NETFLIX
How does one just join today and already know how the uploads work? I’ve been here 14 years and still don’t know.

DJ is a liability. He misses too many layups and is a shot clock destroyer. And yes I made an error leaving out Reeves. My point still stands. Rob should be starting with Sheppard.
Rob and Reed are two of the worst defensive liabilities we have. I love them both but it’s true.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT