ADVERTISEMENT

The 2022 Open

Would love to see Phil and Tiger compete. Having a feeling we’ll have a 100-1 or longer golfer play over their head and win this puppy.

FXlbTn6XwAIWFBE
The British Open begins in 4 hours.

And we're off!

"What is this? Don't they know you don't start TV coverage until 7 hours after the tourney starts?!?"
- TheMasters

No wind this morning.....they tearing it up.

Wind is essentially irrelevant at SA unless it is a gale. The course is hard and fast....260 yd tee shots rolling out to 320 makes some of the shorter p4's nothing more than p3's. If you aren't at least -3 at the end of today, you are going to get lapped. They are expecting some rain tomorrow so that may tighten up the scoring somewhat.

These guys always shred St. Andrews. The winner Sunday will probably be -25 or lower.
St. Andrews isn't a difficult course at all. It would be a run of the mill public course here. They close it on Sundays (I think thats the day) and turn it into a public park with dogs and families just running around on it. The history of it is what makes it special. My dad and my brother took a golf trip to Scotland about 15 years ago. Played Royal Troon, Carnoustie, and St. Andrews. I don't have an official handicap any longer as I don't play enough to warrant keeping one but I have always been around an 8 to 10. Got as low as 5 and as high at 12 when I kept it. I shot 75 at St. Andrews and really didn't play all that well. If the wind stays down and it stays firm allowing for a lot of roll, these guys should go very very low. I think 25 under is a safe guess but it all depends on the weather.

St. Andrews isn't a difficult course at all. It would be a run of the mill public course here. They close it on Sundays (I think thats the day) and turn it into a public park with dogs and families just running around on it. The history of it is what makes it special. My dad and my brother took a golf trip to Scotland about 15 years ago. Played Royal Troon, Carnoustie, and St. Andrews. I don't have an official handicap any longer as I don't play enough to warrant keeping one but I have always been around an 8 to 10. Got as low as 5 and as high at 12 when I kept it. I shot 75 at St. Andrews and really didn't play all that well. If the wind stays down and it stays firm allowing for a lot of roll, these guys should go very very low. I think 25 under is a safe guess but it all depends on the weather.
Yeah it seems relatively easy for even an average golfer with the wide fairways and short Par 4s.

Yeah it seems relatively easy for even an average golfer with the wide fairways and short Par 4s.

A group from my club went to Scotland a few years ago and played several historic courses, said SA was the easiest of the group. OTOH, no one out of 8 or 10 players made a birdie at Carnoustie.

A group from my club went to Scotland a few years ago and played several historic courses, said SA was the easiest of the group. OTOH, no one out of 8 or 10 players made a birdie at Carnoustie.
I played the worst at Carnoustie and I think it was by far the most difficult. The year we went was a year The Open was held at Troon. I shot 79 at Troon. I shot 87 at Carnoustie. St. Andrew’s was by far the easiest. The double greens at St Andrews was the toughest part. That and some of the bunkers were instant death.

You didn't shoot 75 in the conditions they are playing now/7300 yards.

Let’s not be ridiculous… no one is shooting -25. Tighten it up fellas.
They are well on their way. Leader in the clubhouse at 8 under. The weather has to continue to cooperate. It will end up close to -20 at worst IMO.

Not that I feel sorry for Tiger, but given his place in the game and what he used to be, must really suck to be 12 shots behind after you play four holes. :(

Not that I feel sorry for Tiger, but given his place in the game and what he used to be, must really suck to be 12 shots behind after you play four holes. :(

His short game rivals that of a weekend hack at Connemara.

Not a good day so far for Tiger. Amazing he's able to walk let alone play. I can't help but think this might be the last time we see him at The Open.

By the way......why did they stop calling it the British Open? The LPGA and Senior tour still refer to it as the British Open. "The Open"....like there's is the only one the means anything?

And we're off!

"What is this? Don't they know you don't start TV coverage until 7 hours after the tourney starts?!?"
- TheMasters
ESPN+ … and ESPN has the Thursday/Friday coverage. Love ESPN+ for PGA, Masters, PGA Tour Live, Wimbledon, AO, US 🎾pen, etc. It’s worth the few bucks.

Never been more disappointed than some of these clowns on my fantasy lineup. To get outshot by amateurs and grandpas is disgraceful. Not even one birdie for Thomas Pieters? Good God.

Off topic but man I wish we lived in a Scotland climate. Don’t care about winters when we have fires and Kentucky basketball to warm us up. A heat wave in the summer is 75 degrees or so they say.

Tiger’s done. I am glad he won the 2019 Masters. He could’ve done more, but it’s time to hang it up.

Reactions: UKGrad83
It's never a good bet to count out Tiger Woods, but man, I just do not know if he has another comeback left in him. Body is a complete wreck and after seeing how damaged his right leg really is and being 46 years old, its going to take a special tournament run where everything falls into place for him to pass Snead.

It's never a good bet to count out Tiger Woods, but man, I just do not know if he has another comeback left in him. Body is a complete wreck and after seeing how damaged his right leg really is and being 46 years old, its going to take a special tournament run where everything falls into place for him to pass Snead.
I thought he might have a chance considering Ben Hogan had some pretty serious damage and he came back. But I just looked and he was only 36 at the time of his accident. Big difference in age and father time is an unforgiving task master.

The nice thing is he doesn’t have to pass, although nice as it may be. But I think he will win the 2023 Barbasol.

Like seeing either Rory or Victor winning today. Rory really needs it more right now. However, even though Hovland is younger, you can never count on the “oh well I am young and will have plenty more opportunities to win a major” excuse. Who knew it would be 8 years before Rory would win another? It’s been 5 years for Spieth. Fowler never got one after several close calls. List goes on and on.

Like seeing either Rory or Victor winning today. Rory really needs it more right now. However, even though Hovland is younger, you can never count on the “oh well I am young and will have plenty more opportunities to win a major” excuse. Who knew it would be 8 years before Rory would win another? It’s been 5 years for Spieth. Fowler never got one after several close calls. List goes on and on.
Seems to be a 2 horse race at this point

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT