ADVERTISEMENT

U.S. OPEN Golf Championship

cawoodsct

All-American
Gold Member
Apr 27, 2006
82/15
The Los Angeles Country Club (North Course), 7,421 yards, par 70. George C. Thomas Jr. designed the current North Course at LACC, which opened in 1928. Gil Hanse – along with Jim Wagner and Geoff Shackelford – restored the original Thomas design in 2010. The club has hosted three USGA championships in the past, including the 2017 Walker Cup. The course is set to be much wider than most U.S. Open venues (with fairways up to 60 yards across) and the collection of par-3s are unique – set to play from as little as 80 yards to over 300 yards. This marks the first U.S. Open with Bermuda grass since 2005 at Pinehurst No. 2.

Thursday, June 15
9:40 a.m.-1 p.m., Peacock (streaming)
1-8 p.m., USA Network (streaming on Peacock Premium)
8-11 p.m., NBC (streaming on Peacock)

Friday, June 16
9:40 a.m.-1 p.m., Peacock (streaming)
1-8 p.m., USA Network (streaming on Peacock Premium)
8-11 p.m., NBC (streaming on Peacock)

Saturday, June 17
1-11 p.m., NBC (streaming on Peacock)

Sunday, June 18
12 noon-1 p.m., Peacock (streaming)
1-11 p.m., NBC (streaming on Peacock)

us-open-trophy-22LACC_jd6_8628.jpg

Reactions: Bill - Shy Cat
Im going Cantlay this week.

LIVE FROM the U.S. Open times:

Monday

4-7PM: Live From the U.S. Open
7-9PM: Live From the U.S. Open

Tuesday

Noon-7PM: Live From the U.S. Open

Wednesday

Noon-7PM: Live From the U.S. Open

Last edited:
Cantlay or Homa. CA boys who always play really well on the West Coast. Of course, Brooks will be in the thick of things like he always is.

Cantlay or Homa. CA boys who always play really well on the West Coast. Of course, Brooks will be in the thick of things like he always is.
Until he learns how to play at a normal pace of play, I hope Cantlay never wins again.

Picking Bryson to win. Can beat smash balls onto wider fairways and hit a 300 yard Par 3 with a 5 iron.

Sure would like to see Rickie Fowler break through, but I'll go with Viktor Hovland.

Sure would like to see Rickie Fowler break through, but I'll go with Viktor Hovland.
I was thinking that too about Fowler. But isn't he one of the shorter drivers, so this course doesn't sound good for him.

I was thinking that too about Fowler. But isn't he one of the shorter drivers, so this course doesn't sound good for him.
I always felt like the Major that Fowler has the best chance of winning would be The Open on the links type courses.

Stone cold lock.

Rory is either in contention after 54 and chokes

Or is 10 back after 54 and shoots like 65 Sunday to lose by 2

No wonder the pros said said like it. "Deceptive". LOL. Isn't this actually the Quad Cities Open? Maybe the Putt Putt Open? Really a par 65 course, right? Move the tees back 100yds/hole. USGA surely embarrassed. But fans, still be excited.

LOL, the US Open Scoring Round was broken twice in 20 minutes today. It's already a joke of a tourney.

• Love
Reactions: vhcat70
A pair of 62's, wow. Not sure they'll be able to make it hard enough over the weekend.
OK. Call it a par 66. 🤣

At least this way, it doesn't take long to play.

Good chance to set an all-time low score for USO.

Who says they don't need to shorten the ball flight? Just add 2000 yards to course length. No problem. 750 yard par 5's. 400 yard par 3's. LOL.

This is all on LIV.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6burgh
LOL, the US Open Scoring Round was broken twice in 20 minutes today. It's already a joke of a tourney.
Your right. This course is easy for good players with to many birdie chances. This is the PGA version of anti LIV for TV. I hope Fowler shoots -8 for 4 days and wins -32. Their is a reason why the LACC was always were colleges had their tourneys. The cut may be -3. Joke

OK. Call it a par 66. 🤣

At least this way, it doesn't take long to play.

Good chance to set an all-time low score for USO.

Who says they don't need to shorten the ball flight? Just add 2000 yards to course length. No problem. 750 yard par 5's. 400 yard par 3's. LOL.

This is all on LIV.

Executive Course, lol.

Reactions: vhcat70
I can see why the LACC hasn't held a PGA tournament since 1940. If they wanted to hold the US Open in LA perhaps Rivera would have been a better choice.

I can see why the LACC hasn't held a PGA tournament since 1940. If they wanted to hold the US Open in LA perhaps Rivera would have been a better choice.
Mulholland Drive better yet. Hilly, blind shots, plenty of rough.

UKO's contrarian take was AUTOMATIC. 🤡

While I actually LOVE the course, the setup yesterday was not a US Open. USGA severely misjudged the setup & scores. Can assure you that wasn't the expected or intended result, with a leaderboard looking like Day 1 of the John Deere.

All week long we listened to the players and announcers unanimously gush about how perfect it would be, and that simply did not happen. I'm not mad about it, enjoyed, but am am absolutely hoping it's corrected.

Hopefully they're able to do their thing, I suspect and hope it will be very difficult by the weekend.

While I actually LOVE the course, the setup yesterday was not a US Open. USGA severely misjudged the setup & scores. Can assure you that wasn't the expected or intended result, with a leaderboard looking like Day 1 of the John Deere.

All week long we listened to the players and announcers unanimously gush about how perfect it would be, and that simply did not happen. I'm not mad about it, enjoyed, but am am absolutely hoping it's corrected.

Hopefully they're able to do their thing, I suspect and hope it will be very difficult by the weekend.

Setup was perfect. Soft conditions. You should know this. Good shots are rewarded. The course will inevitably play harder going forward.

Meanwhile...
Im...+1
Morikawa +1
Cantlay +1
Koepka +1
Reed +2
Young +2
Spieth +2
Matsuyama +2
Thomas +3
Scott +3
Day +3
Kim +3
Hatton +4
Rose +6

You shanked another golf post...not your week.

• Haha
Reactions: B.B.d.K.
Because golfers are hitting good shots and making putts it is a joke of a tourney?

There should never be a 62 in a US open, let alone 2 of them lol. This is THE tournament where even par is supposed to win and they are to look human. I'm sure the scores will tail off but we are going to see a double digit winner which is a FAIL for THIS particular tournament. MHO.

Reactions: B.B.d.K.

Right, I find myself conflicted about this particular tournament because I think the course is really cool and would be an awesome setup for a PGA. It's kind of like some British Open tracts that, with the correct conditions, can be brutal but that weather is required to protect them from these pros.

Nevertheless, Miller's 63 is stuff of legend because the US Open prides itself in being the toughest test in golf, making guys break under the conditions and, quite frankly, I like it that way. Masters is about the pageantry and fireworks on the back 9 at Augusta, PGA is basically a hodgepodge of really good courses with the best field in golf, British is the history and uniqueness of the draw, and the US Open is for watching carnage unfold as the best players in the world look like us at times.

My concern going into the week was folks saying how wide the fairways were. These guys are going to tear it apart when given a lot of leeway to miss off the tee box. That said, if the course firms up I think it will grow some real teeth.

My concern going into the week was folks saying how wide the fairways were. These guys are going to tear it apart when given a lot of leeway to miss off the tee box. That said, if the course firms up I think it will grow some real teeth.

You obviously missed this discussed yesterday by the announcers and some of the players...if you put the ball on the wrong side of the fairway w/ either a draw or fade, it is running into the rough. The wide fairways as listed are essentially irrelevant without hitting a perfect tee shot.

Fairway average was like 66% yesterday.

PGA Tour Average is 58%.

Incredible fortitude by the players setting fairway % records, in addition to breaking literally every scoring record possible....at the United States Open of all places!

WOW!!

Playing tougher today, and expect it will become much more difficult, driving included, as it firms up, especially for the weekend. They simply did not account for the softness yesterday in other ways, plus they had all the damn tees up b/c of "pace of play" concerns.

Throw in the dead atmosphere due to limited public tickets and instead opting to cater to LACC Members & Corporate...yesterday just missed the mark all around. Thankfully it's a 4 day event, you can bet your ass the USGA wasn't happy.

Last edited:
Reactions: TCPUKChamps
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT