ADVERTISEMENT

The 2022 Open

TruBluCatFan

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 21, 2001
Lexington, KY
They are teeing it up at the home of golf again this year.

Top 10 Betting favorites are
Rory McIlroy 9-1
Jon Rahm 11-1
Scottie Scheffler 12-1
Justin Thomas 14-1
Collin Morikawa 18-1
Matthew Fitzpatrick 20-1
Will Zalatoris 20-1
Xander Schauffele 22-1
Jordan Spieth 22-1
Shane Lowry 22-1

I’m a Rory fan but until he shows he can close another major I can’t pick him to win.

Xander is playing really well right and I’m guessing his 22-1 will drop after winning the Scottish today. But only one player has won the Scottish and The Open in the same year and that was Phil in 2013. I’d probably put my money on him right now.

Didn’t see odds for Tiger to make the cut. I’d put money on him to make cut that is as far as I’d go.

The weather looks as good as it can for an Open Championship.

Where to watch:

When: Thursday, July 14th - Sunday, July 17th

Where: Old Course at St Andrews, Scotland

TV Channel: Golf Channel, NBC, USA, Peacock

Livestream: Golf Channel Digital, NBC Sports Live

2022 OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP TV SCHEDULE:​

- Thursday, July 14: 1:30 a.m.-4 a.m. ET (Peacock)

- Thursday, July 14: 4 a.m.-3 p.m. ET (USA)

- Friday, July 15: 1:30 a.m.-4 a.m. ET (Peacock)

- Friday, July 15: 4 a.m.-3 p.m. ET (USA)

- Saturday, July 16: 5 a.m.-7 a.m. ET (USA)

- Saturday, July 16: 7 a.m.-3 p.m. ET (NBC)

- Sunday, July 17: 4 a.m.-7 a.m. ET (USA)

- Sunday, July 17: 7 a.m.-2 p.m. ET (NBC)

I hate to pick the favorite but I have to go with Rory. The guy is long overdue and playing on semi-home turf. He's been so close the past several years. This may be his week. 8 long years.

It's still The British Open.
Yeah, change the title Ron.

LIVE FROM on in 20 minutes:

Monday

9-11AM: Live From The Open

11AM-1:30PM: Celebration of Champions

1:30-3:30PM: Live From The Open

Tuesday

6AM-Noon: Live From The Open

Noon-2PM: Live From The Open

Wednesday

6AM-Noon: Live From The Open

Noon-2PM: Live From The Open
flag_1920_theopen22_150th.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: GrandePdre
And while the Masters is still the #1 Major, I'd put an * next to a St. Andrew's (British) Open as a close 2nd. It's not the green jacket, but winning a once every 5 years Major at golf's birthplace has to be pretty damn special.

British ahead of the Masters clearly on the basis of having real golf fans attend versus the hobsnobs of Augusta. The pretentiousness of Augusta puts it well down the list these days.

Final Majors Draft at work this morning. I've won the first 3 this year. Picked 3rd each round:

1. Matthew Fitzpatrick
2. Shane Lowry
3. Sam Burns
4. Gary Woodland
5. JT Poston

If I somehow pull off the Slam on my coworkers my first year of joining, they'll never hear the end of it. :)
I like JT Poston too. Just not sure how he will do with his first trip to St. Andrews.

Trey Mullinax

(jk, jk)

I will predict that The Open scores will be super low, good weather + no wind + 3 or so drivable par 4s and not sure The Old Course will be much of a test for the modern pros. Another shootout at Turnberry like Watson and Nicklaus in 1977 (I think)

Dude, Masters has a ticket lottery, low ticket prices, comparably, astoundingly low food and drink costs for a major event. It is one of the few affordable major events in any sport. It will cost you less than going to a regular season NFL or NBA game.

Which is completely irrelevant to what I said.

1. Masters
2. The Open (only at St. Andrew's)
3. US Open
4. The Open (other venues)
5. PGA Championship
6. The Players
7. Tour Championship
8. Memorial
9. Fedex St. Jude's
10. Waste Management Phoenix

I know there are FedEx Cup tourneys and WBC tourneys that are bigger deals than the ones lower on the list, but St. Jude's being a WGC event now and an awesome charity benefitting puts it on my list, and the sheer carnival atmosphere in Phoenix would make it a must play every year to me.

Reactions: BigBlueFanGA
1. Masters
2. The Open (only at St. Andrew's)
3. US Open
4. The Open (other venues)
5. PGA Championship
6. The Players
7. Tour Championship
8. Memorial
9. Fedex St. Jude's
10. Waste Management Phoenix

I know there are FedEx Cup tourneys and WBC tourneys that are bigger deals than the ones lower on the list, but St. Jude's being a WGC event now and an awesome charity benefitting puts it on my list, and the sheer carnival atmosphere in Phoenix would make it a must play every year to me.

That is a pretty good list, although I think most of the world would rank The Open slightly ahead of the US Open, but reasonable people could disagree. I think all the WGC events are bigger than any tour event, except for the Players

As far as run of the usual PGA tourneys, the ones at Pebble Beach and Torrey Pines have to be on the list along with the Memorial.

It would be interesting to compare which ones draw the best field annually, that would at least tell you which tournaments the pros think are the most desirable to play.

I think all the WGC events are bigger than any tour event, except for the Players

As far as run of the usual PGA tourneys, the ones at Pebble Beach and Torrey Pines have to be on the list along with the Memorial.

It would be interesting to compare which ones draw the best field annually, that would at least tell you which tournaments the pros think are the most desirable to play.

Quail Hollow is one of, if not the best, stop on tour outside of the majors.

I agree with a good deal of his perspective... but it's a bit disingenuous to say there is no "free lunch" while supporting the Euro Tour (which has allowed appearance fees for decades). Slumbers is on the OWGR board and knows appearance fees are used not only to attract certain names but also to help boost OWGR ratings.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT