ADVERTISEMENT

That’s what happens when you don’t start reed and dilly

To me,
Right now Edwards is a 4 trying to be made a 3 for the NBA.
This was the exact same thing on last years team with Livingston.
Neither one of them had/ have the skill offensively to play the 3 but they both HAD TO BE groomed towards that position for their potential NBA stock. And in reality, it hurt their stock by showing what they are not skilled at.

Also, IMO.
Livingston played on a team with not alot of skilled basketball players to relieve the pressure on him to score.

Edwards has all kinds of skill around him and I think Edwards' conditioning looks to be very poor (so far) in comparison with other players on the team. The other night, there was a timeout called after about a 3-4 minute run of back and forth action and I noticed as he was walking off the court it looked like he was having an asthma attack he was breathing so hard and was trying to catch his breath!!!! Lax conditioning will affect his foot speed to guard and to get by players and his leg strength will affect his shooting and his lift off the floor. I didn't expect him to be a "below the rim" athlete so far!!!
I also think his game right now is decent for a regular freshman but not for a top-5 player out of high school or for his potential draft stock and I think this pressure to excel has really been messing with his head.
If I was CJC I would switch him and Dilly as starters to get Edwards minutes and rotation aligned with Shepherd who is the teams best passer to help try to get Edwards "started."
My $0.02

LIVINGSTON
EDWARDS
Well said

A lot of people in this thread are acting like DJ and Edwards never come out of the game. Anyone complaining about DJ being the starting PG should take a look at the actual minutes played over the last five games. Sheppard is getting 63% of the minutes at PG. Neither DJ or Edwards is first in minutes at any position. The fact is neither Sheppard or Dillingham can play 40 minutes a game. Sheppard is playing the most minutes at PG and Dillingham the most at SG.

I'm not really sure what people want to see? 35 minutes every game for Sheppard and Dillingham and 5-10 for DJ and Edwards? Sounds like a real good way to run Sheppard and Dillingham into the ground come March.

Screenshot-2024-01-18-at-11-41-15-PM.png
I understand why you don't want the best players to start. You are only interested in providing cover for Calipari and his stupid, nonsensical, stubborn lineup games.

You know, at this point this topic has been beaten to death, resurrected and beaten to death again but I had one more thought after some reflection. Mainly for all the "it doesn't matter who starts!!!!" crowd.

I've realized that it's not necessarily who starts the game that's driving me crazy. If Cal wants to "wipe the slate clean" at the beginning of every game and keep the starting lineup exactly how it's been, whatever. That's one thing. I think the thing that drives me even crazier is that even after a full half of basketball, seeing the lineup combinations that absolutely are and are NOT working, that he comes back out in the 2nd half with the same starting lineup. That I think is more nonsensical to me. You just watched a full half of basketball. That starting lineup was not working. Conversely there was another lineup that was absolutely lights out. There's no rule that you have to start both halves with the same lineup.

That's because you can't handle a debate. You'd rather shut it down.
What does that have to do with anything? Why do you keep responding and taking personal jabs at me that have nothing to do with the threads? Keep it up if it makes you happy, though.

Reactions: ukcatz12
What does that have to do with anything? Why do you keep responding and taking personal jabs at me that have nothing to do with the threads? Keep it up if it makes you happy, though.
Your post implied people should just drop it. It's funny, NOBODY EVER argued against starting the best players on the team before this season. Wonder why.

Of course he’s not playing like it now, but he has it in him. It’s Cal and the coaches job to get it out of him. So yes he has first round talent he’s just slow to adjust to the college game, it’ll come.
If he has it in him he should keep working atvit and come back next year. Cant sacrifice the season for hos development

You know, at this point this topic has been beaten to death, resurrected and beaten to death again but I had one more thought after some reflection. Mainly for all the "it doesn't matter who starts!!!!" crowd.

I've realized that it's not necessarily who starts the game that's driving me crazy. If Cal wants to "wipe the slate clean" at the beginning of every game and keep the starting lineup exactly how it's been, whatever. That's one thing. I think the thing that drives me even crazier is that even after a full half of basketball, seeing the lineup combinations that absolutely are and are NOT working, that he comes back out in the 2nd half with the same starting lineup. That I think is more nonsensical to me. You just watched a full half of basketball. That starting lineup was not working. Conversely there was another lineup that was absolutely lights out. There's no rule that you have to start both halves with the same lineup.
I am convinced this cost us the Auburn elite 8 game. PJ was back playing but he brought him off the bench. We dominated most of the first half (esp when he was in) but they made a late run. Instead of starting PJ in the second half and getting the momentum back he sat him and Auburn started out the half with another run and got in a rhythm we were never really in sync again.

Reactions: Bill - Shy Cat
If he has it in him he should keep working atvit and come back next year. Cant sacrifice the season for hos development
Sacrifice the season? Hahahaha we’re in the top 10, Cal ain’t sacrificing 💩. Depends on what offers he may get through Klutch to make that decision not for us to make, it’s his.

Reactions: JC CATS
If it doesnt mean anything, why don’t we start our walk-on’s and practice players? We shouldn’t take their hearts either should we?

Edwards is good enough to get some minutes. Whether that's 8 or 20 MPG, he's still getting minutes. When those minutes are distributed isn't important, at least to me, other than having him in there at any time other than the last 5 minutes of the game.

I think the Georgia game will be telling. He has struggled against the bigger, older guards/wings this year, but this will be a team that has younger players in that role for once.

Reactions: DeerTurkHunter1
Right there to start the second half. To start the game we play from behind. It’s insanity!!!! Edwards isn’t gonna get it going. Wagner is limited offensively. They need to come off the bench!
I once worked in a complaint dept. All of the customers put together didn't bitch half as much as you do about UK football and basketball!! Who is ur team?

• Love
Reactions: DeerTurkHunter1
Your post implied people should just drop it. It's funny, NOBODY EVER argued against starting the best players on the team before this season. Wonder why.
Are you kidding? There are posts almost daily on this board and have been for years about what lineup certain posters think should start. They do this even in the offseason. To say that has never happened couldn't be more wrong.

And who cares if my posts "implied people should just drop it"? I don't think it did, by why does that trigger you to make a personal slam?

Hopefully he’s like Antoine Walker, Antoine really didn’t turn it on until the SEC tourney his freshmen year I recall.
There is nothing about Edwards' game that looks like he is capable of turning on anything. There isn't one thing on the court that he does well. If he rebounded and played great defense, we could use him with hope that his offense eventually comes around, but that isn't the case. When he gets on the court, he is single minded about trying to score before he is benched which has him throwing up ill-advised shots. When not doing that, he plows into the defense which leads to turnovers.

Last edited:
Minutes matter. Starting doesn't. Shouldn't even be a debate.
To suggest that all minutes in a basketball game are equal clearly indicates that you have never played or coached the game. smh. That makes as much sense as saying that it is always best to have to come from behind to win.

Last edited:
To suggest that all minutes in a basketball game are equal clearly indicates that you have never played or coached the game. smh. That makes as much sense as saying that it is always best to have to come from behind to win.
Hmm... well where exactly did I suggest that all minutes are equal? I'll hang up and listen.

Well, who starts bothers me and it should bother anyone who believe in merit-based play. What is the incentive for players to work theirs butt off to become better players if it isn't rewarded. I can assure you that no other top team coach is willing to sacrifice their teams' accomplishments for the sake of trying to get a player to the NBA quicker than he is ready to go.

Reactions: STL_Cat
Hmm... well where exactly did I suggest that all minutes are equal? I'll hang up and listen.
Earth to know1, you knowingly or unknowingly suggested it when you stated that starting minutes don't matter. Anyone who has ever played realizes that it isn't easy playing from behind and that the start of a game establishes the tone. You and Cal are the only ones who seem to not understand this elementary/basic concept.

Reactions: STL_Cat
False…start the walk on’s and let’s see how the beginning of the game goes.
Once upon a time Kentucky had one of the most knowledgeable fanbases in college basketball, but it doesn't seem that way anymore. I can only hope that know1 is only gaslighting and he actually knows better.

Edwards was top ranked coming out of high school based on potential. Maybe they were wrong even about how much future potential he had, and he is what he is. But I doubt that’s true. I still think he has plenty of potential. But the season is half over, and UK needs production now. Potential in regard to a guy that isn’t going to be at UK next season isn’t worth nearly as much at this point. And I’m starting to question whether he would even reach enough of that potential before his junior year (although he might). Still, I would love for UK to have him for 3 years. The consensus around here, however, is that Edwards is gone after this season regardless. So, what about this thought:

If Edwards is your 9th guy – which at this point that’s what he seems to be if Thiero comes back soon and healthy – and Edwards is in fact not coming back next season regardless, why not start giving Burks more of Edwards minutes to speed his development for next season? Maybe it’s time to start focusing on Thiero and Burks for both what they can provide now as opposed to Edwards, and also because they are expected to be at UK and playing big roles next season.

UK has played 3 ranked teams so far this year. Those were Kansas, Miami, and UNC. Here is the +\- for Wagner and Sheppard. Against Kansas, Wagner was -23, Sheppard was +3. Against Miami, Wagner was -12, Sheppard was +35. Against UNC, Wagner was -7, Sheppard was +8. So in those 3 games against the only ranked opponents we played to date, Wagner is -42 while Sheppard is +46. That’s crazy. People think it’s working great till we get behind in the tournament. I don’t care how DJ looks against unranked teams. Just a bum beating up on other bums. Those stats are available for any Cal nut hugger to look up on ukathletics.com under the men’s basketball schedule page. Click the box score PDF for any particular game that you want to view.

Reactions: CincyUKFan
What if,, those 2 start and we still get down early or slow start? Then you won't have that spark off the bench.. Some y'all just stupid.. Its working as is so don't **** with it..
What if you had a clue?

UK has played 3 ranked teams so far this year. Those were Kansas, Miami, and UNC. Here is the +\- for Wagner and Sheppard. Against Kansas, Wagner was -23, Sheppard was +3. Against Miami, Wagner was -12, Sheppard was +35. Against UNC, Wagner was -7, Sheppard was +8. So in those 3 games against the only ranked opponents we played to date, Wagner is -42 while Sheppard is +46. That’s crazy. People think it’s working great till we get behind in the tournament. I don’t care how DJ looks against unranked teams. Just a bum beating up on other bums. Those stats are available for any Cal nut hugger to look up on ukathletics.com under the men’s basketball schedule page. Click the box score PDF for any particular game that you want to view.
I am a huge fan of Reed; however, DJ's performance has certainly improved since those games you listed and for whatever reason, Reed has been running away from shots during that span of games that earlier in the season he would have taken with no hesitation. I have lost count of the number of times Shep has had clear looks at the basket and didn't take the shot. To compound matters, he sometimes passed the ball to Edwards with the shot clock running down. DJ has been putting lots of pressure on the opponent of late with his aggressive drives to the basket. The only adjustment the starting lineup needs is Edwards out of it. The team can't keep hiding him.

I like Edwards' potential but right now he isn't one of our top TWO options at any position he can play. At the three we are simply better with Reeves and two of Sheppard, Wagner, and Dillingham(or even all 3 together) or with Thiero. So Edwards is mayby our 5th best option at the 3 spot.

At the 4 he is clearly behind Mitchell and Thiero. So why is he still starting?

If a guy is worth 8 mpg at most, then it's just stupid to have that 8 mpg being the start of each half. There is a reason we start halves badly; we're not putting one of our best line-ups on the floor to start each half.

ps: the stuff about how it doesn't matter who starts, just the minutes, is idiocy. When it's tournament time getting behind early puts pressure on your team and makes a loss more likely. The "why change the line-up now when we are winning" is equally stupid. As if removing the team's 8th or 9th best player from the starting line-up and replacing him with one of our two best players, who are both now coming off the bench, would destroy the team. Please come up with a better argument for him still starting.

And it's not doing Edwards any favors. The draft projections are always lagging and he has already lost is chance to become a 1st round pick next year. Second round picks are not guaranteed money and he might not even be a second round pick. If he was a second round pick next draft that would probably not be a good thing for him since he has no chance of being on an NBA roster next year or of starting for a G League team. So he will either make a terrible mistake, come back to UK next year, or enter the transfer portal. That all is the case whether he continues to start or comes off the bench.
I noticed Edwards has more turnovers than assists at this point. Not looking like he has the physical ability to 'turn it around' this season, so I agree with you.

Remember that apparent marketing BS CCC used to always say, “I can’t hide you”? Not only is he not trying to hide underachieving players, he’s starting them. I don’t really give a rip, I’m just pointing out the obvious double speak. Under our other coaches, most of the starters had earned their starting spots IMO, with some exceptions like Saul.

Remember that apparent marketing BS CCC used to always say, “I can’t hide you”? Not only is he not trying to hide underachieving players, he’s starting them. I don’t really give a rip, I’m just pointing out the obvious double speak. Under our other coaches, most of the starters had earned their starting spots IMO, with some exceptions like Saul.
Even Saul is a good example, he didn't play nearly as poorly as
Edwards.

Well said. It chaps my ass too.

I am a huge fan of Reed; however, DJ's performance has certainly improved since those games you listed and for whatever reason, Reed has been running away from shots during that span of games that earlier in the season he would have taken with no hesitation. I have lost count of the number of times Shep has had clear looks at the basket and didn't take the shot. To compound matters, he sometimes passed the ball to Edwards with the shot clock running down. DJ has been putting lots of pressure on the opponent of late with his aggressive drives to the basket. The only adjustment the starting lineup needs is Edwards out of it. The team can't keep hiding him.
DJ is playing better from a personal standpoint but even in our 2 last games against Texas A&M and Mississippi State, Wagner is -5 and +4 for a total of -1 when he is on the court. Sheppard is +4 and +21 for a total of +25 in the last 2 games. Is that more recent enough for you? Yeah, DJ is better at driving and creating his own shot. Wagner has the lowest shooting percentage on the team. So his ability to drive must mean he still misses close shots. His shooting percentage is actually lower in his last 2 games than it is for the season, which I already stated was the worst on the team. This is coming from a guy that can get to the rim. As a team player, it’s not even close how much better the team plays with Sheppard in. Jimmy Dykes said the other day that Wagners defensive statistics are among the worst in the league and that opponents are shooting at a very high percent when he is the primary defender. I think he said opponents were shooting 62% against him. Hey, but he is shooting 44% against them. DJs assist per game are among the worst for a starting PG under Calipari. Sheppard averages more assist, steals, rebounds, blocks, whether we are talking about averages for the season or the last 2 games. Even if Sheppard isn’t shooting, the team still has a better flow when he is on the court, and that’s what it is about. It’s a team sport. I wish there was a way to see what lineup had the best +/- together. With the significant difference between Wagner and Sheppard, it almost guarantees that Sheppard is bringing Wagners +/- up while Wagner is bringing Sheppards down.

Right there to start the second half. To start the game we play from behind. It’s insanity!!!! Edwards isn’t gonna get it going. Wagner is limited offensively. They need to come off the bench!
Wagner isn't limited offensively. He had a rough 2/3 games to start the year and since then he's been really good. When Wagner is off the floor we have nobody that drives to the rim. That is when our offense starts getting stagnant. You have to drive the basketball to get open jumpers

From games 4-15 he's shooting right at 39% from 3. That's a very good percentage. He's getting more confident by the game too.

Last edited:
DJ is playing better from a personal standpoint but even in our 2 last games against Texas A&M and Mississippi State, Wagner is -5 and +4 for a total of -1 when he is on the court. Sheppard is +4 and +21 for a total of +25 in the last 2 games. Is that more recent enough for you? Yeah, DJ is better at driving and creating his own shot. Wagner has the lowest shooting percentage on the team. So his ability to drive must mean he still misses close shots. His shooting percentage is actually lower in his last 2 games than it is for the season, which I already stated was the worst on the team. This is coming from a guy that can get to the rim. As a team player, it’s not even close how much better the team plays with Sheppard in. Jimmy Dykes said the other day that Wagners defensive statistics are among the worst in the league and that opponents are shooting at a very high percent when he is the primary defender. I think he said opponents were shooting 62% against him. Hey, but he is shooting 44% against them. DJs assist per game are among the worst for a starting PG under Calipari. Sheppard averages more assist, steals, rebounds, blocks, whether we are talking about averages for the season or the last 2 games. Even if Sheppard isn’t shooting, the team still has a better flow when he is on the court, and that’s what it is about. It’s a team sport. I wish there was a way to see what lineup had the best +/- together. With the significant difference between Wagner and Sheppard, it almost guarantees that Sheppard is bringing Wagners +/- up while Wagner is bringing Sheppards down.
They didn't have a better flow in the game Reed started at point. Offense was bad because nobody could take their man to the basket
Reed is unbelievable, probably one of my favorite players in the cal era, but he's not a better pg than DJ. Not in this offense at least

Well, who starts bothers me and it should bother anyone who believe in merit-based play. What is the incentive for players to work theirs butt off to become better players if it isn't rewarded. I can assure you that no other top team coach is willing to sacrifice their teams' accomplishments for the sake of trying to get a player to the NBA quicker than he is ready to go.
How has the team accomplishments been sacrificed?

They didn't have a better flow in the game Reed started at point. Offense was bad because nobody could take their man to the basket
Reed is unbelievable, probably one of my favorite players in the cal era, but he's not a better pg than DJ. Not in this offense at least
Yeah whatever. No way, is Wagner a better point guard than Sheppard. You are taking one game and blaming it on Reed which is the only one that played good that day. He still had 6 assists and would have had 10 easily if others would have made their shots. Reed had 25 points, 10 rebounds, 6 assists, and 2 steals. He led his team in all of those categories. Wagner couldn’t post those numbers in his dreams. If Wagner is so good at taking his man to the basket, which he is, then why does he have the lowest shooting percentage on the team. If his ability to drive is getting everybody shots, why is he 4th on the team in assists and one of the lowest assists guys for a starting PG in the Calipari era. Acting like Reed starting is the reason that we lost that game is just bogus when he was the only one that showed up. At his height and position, he shouldn’t have led the team in rebounds that game. He shot 9-17 for 53% while the rest of the team shot 15-42 for 35%.

Reed Sheppard has had a better +/- than Wagner in 12 of the 14 games they both played in and it’s not even close. I’m not saying Sheppard isn’t capable of having a bad game but the UNC Wilmington game was not his fault. Without Sheppard this team has 5 or 6 losses right now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT