ADVERTISEMENT

Thankful for Kentucky Basketball

SparksCat

Blue Chip Prospect
Mar 31, 2009
I was at the game Sunday night in Memphis. And tonight I watched the game from a different view as I had also taped the game.

Our boys fought. Man they fought.

My first memory of Kentucky basketball was the tournament game against Georgetown when I was 8 years old. Ever since then I've been hooked.

My family shares the same enthusiasm for U.K. My parents, cousins, Uncle and Aunt came down to Memphis from Indiana. We grew up right across the river about 40 minutes north of Louisville. My sister drove down from Nashville and I drove in with my family from Birmingham. The SEC tournament has become our annual vacation since 1994. This weekend was a great time with them.

But I'm sick about the game. Not sick at our coach, our players, and not so much that we didn't win it all. Although I thought we'd be the last team standing if we had won Sunday.

I realize I'm sick or saddened because there is no more basketball to watch, analyze, and discuss, for now. Not until next year.

My wife who grew up in Alabama asked me why I would watch the game again tonight. Was I crazy? Maybe. But I realize I just wanted to watch our team again.

And I'm thankful to be a Kentucky fan. It's a bond that I share with my family. And what our rivals don't understand is that most Kentucky fans want to see our team get better, play hard and have a chance to win.

This team did that. In fact, I can't remember too many Kentucky teams that didn't have the first two let alone all three of the above

Thank you to this team and to Coach Cal. You conducted yourselves very well in the face of major adversity. You fought back every time things (or "stuff" as coach referenced) didn't go our way.

And I can't wait until our Cats take the court again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT