ADVERTISEMENT

Former UK Coaches with this squad

Mar 5, 2006
I know it’s hypothetical. I am sick of thinking about the TN game though. We’ll get some answers on Tuesday night.

In the meantime, what would these coaches from my lifetime have done with this squad?

Joe B Hall
Eddie Sutton
Rick Pitino
Tubby
BCG

I think every coach but BCG would have coached this team better than Cal has. Pitino would run teams out of the gym with these guys in the 90’s

I know it’s hypothetical. I am sick of thinking about the TN game though. We’ll get some answers on Tuesday night.

In the meantime, what would these coaches from my lifetime have done with this squad?

Joe B Hall
Eddie Sutton
Rick Pitino
Tubby
BCG

I think every coach but BCG would have coached this team better than Cal has. Pitino would run teams out of the gym with these guys in the 90’s
Don’t be so sure about BCG, when he was sober he was competent

What were we ranked pre season in 20-21?
I'd love to go back and read what some of the board predictions were for that season.
Having Oliver Sarr and BJ Boston on your team looked a lot better in Nov 20 than it does today.
Impossible to tell where the players on this team will end up career wise.
Way to early to tell if this is a roster than any other coach could excell with.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Pitino would run teams out of the gym with these guys in the 90’s
Nope. Of the Pitino teams, this one reminds me most of 1993-94.

Talented youngsters with some seniors sprinkled in. Sophomore Tony Delk, Roderick Rhodes, Jared Pricket. Senior Travis Ford. A freshman Shepherd.

Questionable rotations. Chris Harrison starting over Anthony Epps because he was white. 3 decent big men. Injury to Dent shaped the team. 4th best team in the SEC.

Disappointing first weekend flameout.

Talented youngsters with some seniors sprinkled in. Sophomore Tony Delk, Roderick Rhodes, Jared Pricket. Senior Travis Ford. A freshman Shepherd.

Questionable rotations. Chris Harrison starting over Anthony Epps because he was white. 3 decent big men. Injury to Dent shaped the team. 4th best team in the SEC.

Harrison started over Epps because he was white?! Seriously?! Lmao

Harrison started over Epps because he was white?! Seriously?! Lmao

If Anthony Epps, our primary backup point guards starts, it's the first all black starting team in Kentucky history. But coincidentally, Pitino decides that 10 assists 13 turnover least minutes on the team shooting guard Chris Harrison would start his only game of his career that night in place of Travis Ford.

And that was Pitino's worst post-probation team, and they still went 27-7 without their NBA center.

UK has already lost 6 games. If they lose one more, they will equal the total losses for that Pitino team.

As much as Kentucky stunk in 1994, Calipari and Kentucky stink more this year by a long shot. Arkansas won it all in 1994, and Florida was also in the Final Four. Kentucky still beat BOTH of them. In fact, Kentucky beat Florida TWICE (once by 13 points) and massacred Arkansas in the SEC semi-finals by 12 points. To top it all off, Pitino also took down a third Final Four team that season, Arizona, early in the year.

So in other words, Kentucky had four wins that season against Final Four teams, and most of their wins were without their only NBA draft pick that season, Rodney Dent.

Let me know when Calipari does anything close to that with this current team.

If there was ever a team that needed a ball line Tubby Smith defense, this team could. Prime UK Pitino would be pressing like crazy.

The ball movement of this team would be signature Rupp and Hall. Sober Eddie would have this team playing well.

Cal’s coaching is Gillespie-eque with a 9 million dollar paycheck. Basically a McMansion

Reactions: CatFanInIlliniLand

Joe B Hall
Eddie Sutton
Rick Pitino
Tubby
BCG

Pitino during his last 6 seasons here, after we were no longer on probation. Some of his numbers

Won-loss record..... 183-30..... An avg. record per season.... 31-5
Post season record... 39-6....... An average of 6.5 post season wins per season
5 SEC tournament championships
5 Elite-8's
3 Final Fours
2 appearances in the national championship game
1 national championship
Take away an injury to the SEC's best player Derek Anderson &UK wins it all in 1997
5 of Pitino's post season losses came against teams that would be in the Final Four that season. Compare this to what Calipari has given us during his last 6 seasons.

Joe B Hall
Eddie Sutton
Rick Pitino
Tubby
BCG

BCG would have a Top 40 defense

Joe B Hall
Eddie Sutton
Rick Pitino
Tubby
BCG

I have no doubt that except for BCG the rest would have had at least two championships with Cal's talent. All of them were better coaches than Cal. Hell just look at Cal's last 5 years in the tournament(can't count the covid year that the tournament was not held) and look at Tubby's last 5 years. Tubby runs rings around Cal and Tubby's biggest fault was he did not like to recruit the big ego type players very much. So Tubby did it with less overall talent. Hell Pitino would have had 3 or more with Cal teams. I think Joe B might have had 3 championships as well.

Tubby would scorch teams with this group.
Yes, he would. But he also wouldn't have a roster like this. This is not a defense of Cal at all but Tubby didn't get a lot of 5 star recruits; don't know if it was effort or style or being egotistic enough to think he didn't need a lot of talent.

A lot may not agree but BCG was a good X & O coach. His problem was drinking . I watch his games that he coached before UK got him and he was great and making in game changes. I have read that he has gotten his life straighten out now & praying that is true.

Pitino would have this team in the top 3 in the nation and playing great defense.

Joe B Hall
Eddie Sutton
Rick Pitino
Tubby
BCG

I think Pitino would lose a max of 3-4 games with this squad.

Reactions: CatFanInIlliniLand
Joe B Hall, Eddie Sutton, Rick Pitino, Tubby, BCG

BCG and COW are a push - Billy would have the defense playing infinitely better but not the offense and I think the offense may be the result of Welch joining the staff this year.

The other 4 coaches would demand defense and rebounding or your 5* butt would be on the bench. Pitino would use the depth to press full court to create turnovers and wear the opponent down. I don't think any of the 4 would take this team to the Final Four because UK is overly dependent on inconsistent freshmen play. Dilly looked like an All American against UT but may follow that with a lackluster game against Vandy. No knock on the players, just a fact. The roster is too unbalanced; 7 freshmen, 2 Sophs, 0 Jrs, 2 Srs. Next year the majority of the freshmen are off to the NBA or YMCA and you lose the 2 Seniors and you have the same situation. None of these coaches would have a roster imbalance that COW creates every year. You cannot teach experience but COW believes that talent trumps experience.

Your top teams this year and in the past generally have veteran led teams that have played 2-3 years together.

Joe B Hall, Eddie Sutton, Rick Pitino, Tubby, BCG

BCG and COW are a push - Billy would have the defense playing infinitely better but not the offense and I think the offense may be the result of Welch joining the staff this year.

The other 4 coaches would demand defense and rebounding or your 5* butt would be on the bench. Pitino would use the depth to press full court to create turnovers and wear the opponent down. I don't think any of the 4 would take this team to the Final Four because UK is overly dependent on inconsistent freshmen play. Dilly looked like an All American against UT but may follow that with a lackluster game against Vandy. No knock on the players, just a fact. The roster is too unbalanced; 7 freshmen, 2 Sophs, 0 Jrs, 2 Srs. Next year the majority of the freshmen are off to the NBA or YMCA and you lose the 2 Seniors and you have the same situation. None of these coaches would have a roster imbalance that COW creates every year. You cannot teach experience but COW believes that talent trumps experience.

Your top teams this year and in the past generally have veteran led teams that have played 2-3 years together.
Speaking of Welch, I bet he wishes he had stayed far away from this debacle.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT