ADVERTISEMENT

TEXAS A&M and REED ARENA

Game time folks! This Saturday will be another deafening visit for me and 4 of my boys. Reed Arena only holds about 13K, but that place is “bat crap crazy” loud. This coupled with A&M is in desperate need for a signature win has me a bit nervous! …a very dangerous environment.

On paper…just looking at the numbers, we should be in pretty good shape. A&M just hasn’t put the pieces together yet for some reason, accounting for their record and disappointing season to date. Pretty much every analyst had them Top 15 preseason.

But if they do put it together at home, this will be a hard-fought battle. I might need a few prayers for the old “ticker” attending this one…lol!

Game time folks! This Saturday will be another deafening visit for me and 4 of my boys. Reed Arena only holds about 13K, but that place is “bat crap crazy” loud. This coupled with A&M is in desperate need for a signature win has me a bit nervous! …a very dangerous environment.

On paper…just looking at the numbers, we should be in pretty good shape. A&M just hasn’t put the pieces together yet for some reason, accounting for their record and disappointing season to date. Pretty much every analyst had them Top 15 preseason.

But if they do put it together at home, this will be a hard-fought battle. I might need a few prayers for the old “ticker” attending this one…lol!
It will be a tough game for UK. Hope you help pull us thru.

They are desperate. They cannot start 0-3 in conference with two home losses.

Very dangerous game. Their backs are against the wall and they will be determined to win. Beating us saves their season in their eyes.

Really wish they could have won at least one of their two SEC games.

We aren't playing all that well, as a cohesive unit. No one in particular is "bad", we just really seem disjointed. We don't seem to have a true play-maker at the point, who can facilitate the offense and move the ball. Until I can trust one of the PGs to give us 7 or 8 assists a game, consistently, it's hard to really trust this team. Yes, we scored 90 yesterday, but man it seemed labored. You compare it to some of the Hames with Ty/Oscar or the 100pt game with Monk/Fox, and we just seem a step or two behind offensively.

I do think we will get there in due time, that I'm not worried about. But I think we lose Saturday. I think we take one of those humbling losses that normally resets a Cal team and then makes them better.

We aren't playing all that well, as a cohesive unit. No one in particular is "bad", we just really seem disjointed. We don't seem to have a true play-maker at the point, who can facilitate the offense and move the ball. Until I can trust one of the PGs to give us 7 or 8 assists a game, consistently, it's hard to really trust this team. Yes, we scored 90 yesterday, but man it seemed labored. You compare it to some of the Hames with Ty/Oscar or the 100pt game with Monk/Fox, and we just seem a step or two behind offensively.

I do think we will get there in due time, that I'm not worried about. But I think we lose Saturday. I think we take one of those humbling losses that normally resets a Cal team and then makes them better.

To me the lineups are wrong. We really can’t have it both ways, you either play your best the entire game or your productivity will fall. The lineup has to change or it’ll come back and bite us imo. Edwards needs to be removed from the starting rotation.

In all my years of studying Kentucky and college basketball, I can say that I’ve never seen a player as bad as Edwards suddenly become good enough middle January to garner a starting position and 24 minutes per game with his skill set and productivity. It’s not there and unfortunately, I don’t see it coming.

I realize Cal has to thread the needle at times because of recruiting but it’s time to start the right lineups and play to win.

Reed, Wagner, Reeves, Adou, and I’d continue to stick with Bradshaw. He’s the one that’s coming into his own. Dilly, Thiero, and Mitchell garner close to starters minutes. Play through Reed Sheppard and get him going for the tournament.

I fear that if we don’t were a second round exit waiting to happen when you consider we also aren’t defensively sound. You can’t shoot yourself in the foot both ways. Let’s play the right lineups and accept it.

To me the lineups are wrong. We really can’t have it both ways, you either play your best the entire game or your productivity will fall. The lineup has to change or it’ll come back and bite us imo. Edwards needs to be removed from the starting rotation.

In all my years of studying Kentucky and college basketball, I can say that I’ve never seen a player as bad as Edwards suddenly become good enough middle January to garner a starting position and 24 minutes per game with his skill set and productivity. It’s not there and unfortunately, I don’t see it coming.

I realize Cal has to thread the needle at times because of recruiting but it’s time to start the right lineups and play to win.
Just the 4 millionth post about Edwards or Sheppards playing time lol. Guess 3 million plus isn’t enough.

Reactions: Seakat311

Lose Saturday??? Hahahahahahaha how weak minded you are.

• Haha
Reactions: RunninRichie
They are desperate. They cannot start 0-3 in conference with two home losses.

Very dangerous game. Their backs are against the wall and they will be determined to win. Beating us saves their season in their eyes.

Really wish they could have won at least one of their two SEC games.
All that stuff doesn’t matter, they make you believe it does. The best team will win, UK. Glad they aren’t scuuured.

• Haha
Reactions: RunninRichie
Just the 4 millionth post about Edwards or Sheppards playing time lol. Guess 3 million plus isn’t enough.

Oh I get you. At first I was thinking how could someone laugh at my post, seems to at least have a grounded validity to it. I guess you’re saying you’re tired of hearing about the lineup issue with Reed and Edwards. I get that, we’re talking a lot about it.

I’m just really into the program.

You serious with that first paragraph? If so, wow!

Reactions: SmyrnaCatFan
You serious with that first paragraph? If so, wow!

DJ and Dilly are phenomenal talents, and they are great scorers. But so far, I'm seeing more combo guard skills. I'd like to see a bit more play MAKING. Neither is averaging what we'd like to see in assists.

I think that's more because minutes are getting split. And again I'm sure they will get better.

But if we play like we did yesterday, we're getting beat. Not sure why that's such an outlandish take.

Reactions: dl51344
Was worried about this game when the schedule was released, more worried now that they have under-performed so badly.

We don't do well against physicality and Buzz's teams are definitely that. Plus their place, Super Bowl, T-Shirts, only sellout they'll have, the whole 9 yards...

Hard to believe somebody thinks Mitchell doesn’t need to be in the starting lineup. I like bringing in Dilly and Reed together. Reed is third on the team in minutes. Theiro getting healthy heals a lot of ills.

Summarizing what I’ve read above, we are at about 90% of what we can be. Defense and rebounding are a tad weak. That still puts us top 10/top 5. I like Reed and Dilly off the bench, as they are getting starting minutes. Reed is a heady player that likes to see what is happening first IMHO.

We will sport the Blue and face the “lion in the arena.” come Saturday, I will surely lose my voice at some point. Perhaps a refreshment or two saves the day. As loud as they are, I’ve found their fans are not too bad when around you.

WAT.jpg

Been to 3 UK games there.

Saw the Noel team win.

Was there for the Pat Adams slamming the ball technical

Saw the Maxey/Quickly team win there. Quick was on fire.

Reactions: MasonCoBlue
Looking forward to it. I’ve been to every UK game there in the last 10 years. Typically have been close games. The 2015 team squeaked one out. Last one was the first one, I think, that wasn’t a t-shirt night. Very respectful fans.

There are 6 players in all of college basketball averaging 7 assists a game. Don’t think that should ever be an expectation

Reactions: Seakat311
This is similar to the UF game. We must rebound. Texas AM rebounds 44% of their misses. And they miss alot. Their FG% is frankly awful.

1st in the nation in offensive rebounding
323rd in the nation in FG%

Kenpom has us winning by 1 point with a 51% chance to win. 79-78.

Bad news to start out the day. ESPN says that TX A&M has a 65% chance to win the game. It said that their rebounding is just too good for us and they will get a lot of second chance points on the offensive side. I guess that means they expect TX A&M bigs will own Bradshaw, Ugo and Mitchell.

UK is not very good defensively as a unit which has me worried.

Positive factoid.
"Kentucky leads the all-time series vs. Texas A&M, 13 to 4, and have won 8 of the last 9 games against the Aggies."

Reactions: IIIBradIII
One of my Diploma's comes from that joint (TA&M) but burn them down UK!!!!!

P_SS on the Aggies!

Last edited:
Reactions: IIIBradIII
A lot of the podcasts are saying TAM will play like their season is on the line. Some of them are picking TAM because of UKs defense.

I took something totally different from the Missouri game. Cal playing with line ups and changing rotation patterns. Wasn’t concerned with Missouri actually being able to defeat us and he was right. Examine who was playing with who and what position on offense and defense they were playing. Glorified practice.
You don’t need to trust one point guard on this team. It’s a group effort that exploits what the defense gives us. Some nights UK will rack up assists others defense stays home on 3’s and we will drive.

Reactions: SmyrnaCatFan
I took something totally different from the Missouri game. Cal playing with line ups and changing rotation patterns. Wasn’t concerned with Missouri actually being able to defeat us and he was right. Examine who was playing with who and what position on offense and defense they were playing. Glorified practice.
You don’t need to trust one point guard on this team. It’s a group effort that exploits what the defense gives us. Some nights UK will rack up assists others defense stays home on 3’s and we will drive.
Interesting take contrary to predominant sentiment. Something to think on.

You know having a ton of assists one would lead to believe they lead to easier shots but looking at it on the Kenpom page there doesn't seem to be much correlation between assist % and offensive efficiency or even FG%.

Bad news to start out the day. ESPN says that TX A&M has a 65% chance to win the game. It said that their rebounding is just too good for us and they will get a lot of second chance points on the offensive side. I guess that means they expect TX A&M bigs will own Bradshaw, Ugo and Mitchell.
They said the same thing about UF.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT