ADVERTISEMENT

ITS BROKEN—The Dynamics of Fixing Rupp Arena

The "boosters" that everyone talk about here, the ones that actually pay for the arena upgrades and new facilities have those seats. So, no, they don't make more money off of tv and radio, The numbers might be higher, but the facilities and NIL are paid by those people that everyone here is complaining about. You think the Hammer and Joe Craft are going to move up and let students sit in their seats and still pay the NIL money and build new facilities for UK? Again, everyone complaining gives shit money, these people give real money. That is why they have those seats and can sit down if they want.
Sure, SEC teams don't make big bucks off tv abd radio and other sources. The cost of the front seats are peanuts compared to other revenue sources, sources that become bigger when you win bigger. Taking away your home team advantage just to make more money on the front seats is not an overall smart way to do it. That's just my
opinion but I believe it's shared by a lot more people than yours.

Last edited:
Reactions: wildcatwelder
Sure, SEC teams don't make big bucks iff tv abd radio and other sources. The cost of the front seats are peanuts compared to other revenue sources, sources that become bigger when you win bigger. Taking away your home team advantage just to make more money on the front seats is not an overall smart way to do it. That's just my
So you want to piss Joe Craft off? Did you see the lawsuit filed against UK last week by a booster who was told he was going to have to move from his floor seats after paying a fortune to secure them? Those are the people that finance the things like practice facilities and buy outs. They can't get pissed off.

I really like your point #1. I think that would make the biggest difference immediately. I'm not sure how to appease the big donors. Those big donors are the reason this remains a conversation year after year. I don't think it will ever happen. Maybe after another generation dies. Not before.

By the way, I've seen something similar about the dynamics of some churches I've worked with. The blue hairs get what they want because they have money and influence, and they aren't afraid to do what they must to get their way. Change is slow, like snail pace slow, with that generation. But for those churches, it's change or die in some cases, depending on the issue at hand. For Rupp, you're dealing with multiple issues- money issues, generational issues, tradition issues, multiple stigmas. My guess? It won't change in any of our lifetimes.

"It's good enough" as someone else said right here. That might be the death nell. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." And who says it's broke? Who is that? Right. "My family has sat in these seats for 4 generations and that won't change. We cheer when the team deserves it. We don't when they don't deserve it. We sit 90% of the time and we earned that right."

Bottom line: we cry and moan and nothing will happen. I hate it. I'd love to see UK students and young adults surrounding the floor and making noise and making life miserable for opponents. But it's not happening.

IL— one point I happen to know a lot about is how the lower bowl tickets have been distributed over the years.

Up all the way until 1997, every player that graduated from UK on scholarship was given 4 permanent tickets. Guaranteed 2 lowers but many guaranteed 4 lowers. All tickets can be passed down once.

Like for example, when Cotton passed, his grandkids got the tickets. And they are awesome kids but they will have those tickets for another 50+ years.

There are soooo many legacy lower ticket holders that are so much less cool than those kids.

And that’s the problem. Entitlement breeds opera house environment, if an “outsider” comes In And hollers for the team, they are shut down:

And it’s why our road crowds are always amazing.

Sure, SEC teams don't make big bucks iff tv abd radio and other sources. The cost of the front seats are peanuts compared to other revenue sources, sources that become bigger when you win bigger. Taking away your home team advantage just to make more money on the front seats is not an overall smart way to do it. That's just my
No but I promise Darryl and Joe will happily take a luxury box instead of lowers.

So you want to piss Joe Craft off? Did you see the lawsuit filed against UK last week by a booster who was told he was going to have to move from his floor seats after paying a fortune to secure them? Those are the people that finance the things like practice facilities and buy outs. They can't get pissed off.
You're asking the wrong guy about all that. I am a surly and cantankerous old man and I don't care who I piss off.

Make a $
No but I promise Darryl and Joe will happily take a luxury box instead of lowers.
Who is going to pay for that luxury box? They do. That is why you can't piss them off. Make a $100K to $200K donation to UK, and I'd bet they'd find you decent seats.

Make a $

Who is going to pay for that luxury box? They do. That is why you can't piss them off. Make a $100K to $200K donation to UK, and I'd bet they'd find you decent seats.
You don’t understand, seats and boxes are two different universes.

And by the way, the lower bowl season ticket holders don’t contribute near as much as they think they do, yet they dictate our entire home court environment

There is much in the op's post to disagree with but the part about the people in the first 10-12 rows is spot on.
We need students or non-season ticket holders in those seats. The folks who can't stand up don't need to be
in those seats or at least have the common courtesy and decency to not shout down those who get fired up.
So what you are saying is if someone can't stand up, then they don't deserve their seat that they paid A LOT of money for? There could be any number of reasons that someone can't stand.

This has been an ongoing complaint on here at least once a season...maybe more. If you all want the students to be down by the court, then come up with a plan and present it to the administration. Has anyone done that?
I was a student at UK when Rupp first opened and I was at the very first game. My whole family has gone to UK. My aunt, who passed away last year at 95, had 2 season tickets since 1962. She had no kids so all of us cousins would get together at the beginning of the season and pick games we wanted to go to. She went to a lot herself. As she got older, she couldn't get around as well, so two of us would go to games. I am the youngest now at 65. I have been to several games each season. For the last couple of years I have had knee problems and waiting on replacements...yes, both. I can't stand for long, but I have great lungs. You can hear me very well. But since I can't stand, I should give up my ticket? You are insane. I have a right to be there as much as anyone. And yes, I would love a suite or box seats. That would be nice. But it seems that none of us are getting what we want. My aunt, who donated A LOT of money to get those tickets (she was one of those boosters), had suggested the idea of suites when Rupp was renovated a while back. It was voted down. So the "blue hairs" are not against it like you all might think.
And by the way, regarding the students attending. Well, a while back, they tried giving tickets away to students to get them to go. They were great seats. Very few wanted to go. The younger people have so much going on nowadays that they would rather be doing something else. Maybe instead of bitching about the older people, you should try to get the younger people interested in it. At least my aunt and my family have made suggestions to the powers that be. What have you done...except bitch and complain?

So what you are saying is if someone can't stand up, then they don't deserve their seat that they paid A LOT of money for? There could be any number of reasons that someone can't stand.
No, that was not what I said! I have never and would never criticize somebody for a disability.

Since you mischaracterized my words to such an extent in the first paragraph, I read not one more word of your post after that.

I said if if somebody had those seats and could not stand and be raucus they should have the courtesy and decency to not shout down others for standing and cheering. That is what I said. Now, what part of what I just said do you have a problem with, the courtesy to others? I am old like you but I don't think that gives me license to be a jerk to younger people.

And please read my last response to BBBLazing just a few posts above and you will know how upset I am by your anger.

Reactions: susan2361
No, that was not what I said! I have never and would never criticize somebody for a disability.

Since you mischaracterized my words to such an extent in the first paragraph, I read not one more word of your post after that.

I said if if somebody had those seats and could not stand and be raucus they should have the courtesy and decency to not shout down others for standing and cheering. That is what I said. Now, what part of what I just said do you have a problem with, the courtesy to others? I am old like you but I don't think that gives me license to be a jerk to younger people.

And please read my last response to BBBLazing just a few posts above and you will know how upset I am by your anger.
This is your quote: "The folks who can't stand up don't need to be in those seats OR at least have the common courtesy and decency to not shout down those who get fired up."
I capitalized the word "or". Read your statement. The folks who can't stand up don't need to be those seats. Then you said "or" have the common courtesy and decency to not shout down those who get fired up. It seemed like two separate statements. I agree with the second statement about common courtesy and decency. The first statement is the one I have a problem with. Can you understand that I see it as two separate statements? I understand what you said and I said I agree with the second one.

And I would appreciate it if you would read the rest of my post and not just pick the part that upset you. I al least read all of yours. It may be enlightening for you.
Thank you.

Reactions: UKortho and TexKat
Will we ever get away from Rupp and build something on campus? I go to 1-2 games a year and always feel that our away crowds are more rowdy or loud atleast.

TLDR- Rupp is no longer an advantage to Kentucky and pails in comparison to basically all other CBB schools.

I’ve been going to Rupp for over 35 years. Always lower arena and often close to court. Big games, small games, all games.

I have watched a deterioration of that stadium, especially over the last 15-10-5 years, that is unprecedented and increasingly a problem.

I’m going I try to compartmentalize the three actions that are a problem so talking about this is easier:

1) The Show

Go to any decent schools arena and you are going to find A SHOW BUDDY.

Flame throwers, smoke shows, a DJ, an MC, crowd chants throughout the game, loud rap music, things falling from the rafters, shirt giveaways, and I can go on and on.

It’s is beyond obvious we have decided we are above “the show”. We don’t even chant “blue/white” anymore before the game, much less during….ever.

2) Opera House Atmosphere

The most stunning thing to me is how great our fans are on the road, at neutral, and in tournaments.

At home, however (and you know this FOR A FACT IF YOU HAVE SAT IN LOWER AND ARE A LOUD FAN) you and literally shit on if you are a standing up, screaming fan at Rupp. It is not anyone’s fault except the ADs over the years. Season tix were over allocated to previous players (big time), but it’s led to the “boue hair” syndrome in the lower.

We must find a way to make the lower arena loud and intimidating. If you combine them with the already loud uppers it may immediately become best environment in CBB again.

3) Media must be updated, it sucks.

Unless CBS is in town (they bring their own stuff), our cameras look like they’re from 2011 and we don’t have any media cut in valves that make the production look so much better even for incompetent production staffs like ESPN. Jay Bills ice cream shots can actually look good, believe it or not. More importantly, our crowd can sound way louder and cooler, especially if we fix the lower arena.

Anyway, these are just my thoughts on Rupp and
How it affects our team. If we were unbeatable at Rupp we would be a #1 seed right now and considering we’ve almost always been unbeatable at home, I think it’s the most important thing to fix.

Please tell me the stuff I’ve missed, I wanna hear it.
There hasn’t been a whole lot to cheer about in recent years

• Love
Reactions: UKortho and KFuqua
Well, we're seeing here why this will never change, not in our lifetimes. So, smile and wave and go to the opera house. The opponents who come to see it love to play there! Listen to them, they'll tell you. What we have created is a venue where the opponent has more motivation than the home team. Heck, the home team is going to an off-campus venue and can't even practice there. And hey UK opponents... these sweet, old folks won't bother you or stir you up too much, so just relax and put on a great show and we'll televise it nationally for you so you can flash your smile and jumper for the several dozen NBA scouts who will surely be there. It's an opportunity of a lifetime!

Yep, I agree one of the first steps here is to move the arena back to campus. Give the elites their box seats. Put the students in the first 10 rows all around the floor. Opponents will dread playing there because they'll be intimidated and disturbed. Right now, it's just a huge stage filled with 20,000 plus. Our own players do better in away games and neutral site games. Our fans who love to get loud and rowdy can't wait for neutral site games, SEC Tournament games, and NCAA-T games so they can actually affect the game. Now, where's my fan, my mask, and my tuxedo? Time to go.

I’m not sure about this…but do we not ever practice there? I feel like most teams practice on their home floor? Maybe I’m wrong

TLDR- Rupp is no longer an advantage to Kentucky and pails in comparison to basically all other CBB schools.

I’ve been going to Rupp for over 35 years. Always lower arena and often close to court. Big games, small games, all games.

I have watched a deterioration of that stadium, especially over the last 15-10-5 years, that is unprecedented and increasingly a problem.

I’m going I try to compartmentalize the three actions that are a problem so talking about this is easier:

1) The Show

Go to any decent schools arena and you are going to find A SHOW BUDDY.

Flame throwers, smoke shows, a DJ, an MC, crowd chants throughout the game, loud rap music, things falling from the rafters, shirt giveaways, and I can go on and on.

It’s is beyond obvious we have decided we are above “the show”. We don’t even chant “blue/white” anymore before the game, much less during….ever.

2) Opera House Atmosphere

The most stunning thing to me is how great our fans are on the road, at neutral, and in tournaments.

At home, however (and you know this FOR A FACT IF YOU HAVE SAT IN LOWER AND ARE A LOUD FAN) you and literally shit on if you are a standing up, screaming fan at Rupp. It is not anyone’s fault except the ADs over the years. Season tix were over allocated to previous players (big time), but it’s led to the “boue hair” syndrome in the lower.

We must find a way to make the lower arena loud and intimidating. If you combine them with the already loud uppers it may immediately become best environment in CBB again.

3) Media must be updated, it sucks.

Unless CBS is in town (they bring their own stuff), our cameras look like they’re from 2011 and we don’t have any media cut in valves that make the production look so much better even for incompetent production staffs like ESPN. Jay Bills ice cream shots can actually look good, believe it or not. More importantly, our crowd can sound way louder and cooler, especially if we fix the lower arena.

Anyway, these are just my thoughts on Rupp and
How it affects our team. If we were unbeatable at Rupp we would be a #1 seed right now and considering we’ve almost always been unbeatable at home, I think it’s the most important thing to fix.

Please tell me the stuff I’ve missed, I wanna hear it.
I thought the same when I was attending every game my Freshman and Sophomore seasons, sitting at half court. I was that 18 year old kid rooting for the home team, standing and screaming all game.

Then I was asked to drop out and got a job. This type of stuff was no longer important in my life. One day I went back to school to finish my degree, now with a four year old daughter. Never went to another UK football or basketball game until I graduated. Your priorities will change one day as well, or we will find you dead in the stands from a heart attack at 65.

Pitino said it when he was here. We should have free student tickets wrapping the floor for the first 5-10 rows.

I actually think it should just be free tickets for whomever lines up first or use a lottery or whatever

Get those people who can't get low usually in and they will make it a fun environment.

There is a HUGE difference in Rupp and the SEC tournament. The UK crowd at the tournament is wonderful. Rupp doesn't come off the same in person, TV, or radio.

Reactions: RunninRichie
LOL BBN. I agree with moist everyone's take on Rupp; need a change that is for sure.
What gets me is how so many bash the older UK fans. Some things are better off not spoken.
You will be walking in our shoes one day and wonder "why does everyone not like us".

You spend your life trying to get to the point where you can truly enjoy the fruits of your labor but your so damn tired from the journey you just want to watch things go by!

Luxury boxes is the way to go. Put the young energetic ones on the court. Give me a show with liquids and food.

I find it sad and pathetic that people need all that to be entertained. If so, maybe just stay home and play video games or something.

Reactions: KFuqua
We’re Kentucky. I’m 28. I’m not going to go bonkers for playing little SEC teams. Can’t lose at home. The only question is if we’re going to cover the spread. Save your voice for March. Act like you’ve been there before. Get rowdy if the play on the court is deserving of so.

• Angry
Reactions: KFuqua
I'd love to have a new on campus arena for basketball, volleyball, etc. Seats say 18-20k for basketball. The teams could practice where they play, wow what a concept there huh. Let the lower bowl be primarily for students. Maybe some suites or luxury boxes for the folks with the big $$$. Not sure if there's anywhere on campus where land is available plus room for parking.

I haven't been to a game since Tubby was the coach. Long travel old age health problems now. So I may never make another.
But for me big tv no lines to restroom or food at home.
But I absolutely think every UK fan should expirence a game live.
I went to several games from the 80s to the early 2000s.
Usually got lower level seats. Too me if I'm going to go I wanna be able to actually see the game up close. Players look like Ants in the top of Rupp.
But for the ones saying they have never heard anyone being told to sit down. I guarantee you it happened in the 80s 90s and 2000s. Every single time I sat in lower arena I was told to sit down.
All I was doing was cheering on the team. Never talked to anyone that wasn't in my party. Was simply just cheering.
I don't know if it happens now. Haven't been in years. But I'm guessing it still does. But again I know for a fact it did when I attended games.
As for the other stuff OP said. I could care less about blaring music and Tshirts being shot. I went to watch basketball. But the lower arena should be standing and cheering.

The lease runs for another 10 years. 2033 is the last year I believe. They will renovate it again and extend like they always do. Where would UK get the money for a new arena? Boosters, who would get the best seats again.

We’re Kentucky. I’m 28. I’m not going to go bonkers for playing little SEC teams. Can’t lose at home. The only question is if we’re going to cover the spread. Save your voice for March. Act like you’ve been there before. Get rowdy if the play on the court is deserving of so.
This mentality is exactly why Rupp is the worst atmosphere I’ve been to. “We deserve to win every game there and the fans have no impact on the game”. Both are WRONG

The lease runs for another 10 years. 2033 is the last year I believe. They will renovate it again and extend like they always do. Where would UK get the money for a new arena? Boosters, who would get the best seats again.
Yep we need to stick them in luxury boxes and fix the show

• Angry
The "boosters" that everyone talk about here, the ones that actually pay for the arena upgrades and new facilities have those seats. So, no, they don't make more money off of tv and radio, The numbers might be higher, but the facilities and NIL are paid by those people that everyone here is complaining about. You think the Hammer and Joe Craft are going to move up and let students sit in their seats and still pay the NIL money and build new facilities for UK? Again, everyone complaining gives shit money, these people give real money. That is why they have those seats and can sit down if they want.
Have to agree. Would add that most folks complaining probably only watch on tv. It costs $100,000 in donations just to get the right for tickets in the middle sections. Plus I wouldn’t pay the cost of the tickets in those sections let alone $100k upfront . That donation isn’t for the first 5 rows either. Somebody is paying those fees evidenced by the seats being full.

If someone was told to sit down then that’s not right. Not calling anyone a liar, however I just haven’t seen it one time.

UK isn’t spending money for an upgraded basketball facility so they definitely will not reinvent the wheel and buy land and build a new arena.

This is your quote: "The folks who can't stand up don't need to be in those seats OR at least have the common courtesy and decency to not shout down those who get fired up."
I capitalized the word "or". Read your statement. The folks who can't stand up don't need to be those seats. Then you said "or" have the common courtesy and decency to not shout down those who get fired up. It seemed like two separate statements. I agree with the second statement about common courtesy and decency. The first statement is the one I have a problem with. Can you understand that I see it as two separate statements? I understand what you said and I said I agree with the second one.

And I would appreciate it if you would read the rest of my post and not just pick the part that upset you. I al least read all of yours. It may be enlightening for you.
Thank you.
I am sorry about the confusion but I was only talking about the folks that sit and shout at others to sit down.
I did just go ahead and read the rest of the post and have no problem with anything you said after the part I just hightlighted, including the last senctence(I have no power in this world as I'm old and poor; bitching about things I don't like is a big part of why I come here lol). I am an old person myself with disabilities so I would never criticize somebody for any kind of disability so that is what upset me(also was never that way when I was younger). I do not feel in any way that older people or people with disabilities should not be there. I just think our school needs to find a way to have more of the rowdier fans near the court.

I appreciate your response and I hope there are no hard feelings; there are none on my part. Again, sorry if I upset you.

You are right. I can't believe what I was thinking. The rich people are the only ones that should matter.

Well, we're seeing here why this will never change, not in our lifetimes. So, smile and wave and go to the opera house. The opponents who come to see it love to play there! Listen to them, they'll tell you. What we have created is a venue where the opponent has more motivation than the home team. Heck, the home team is going to an off-campus venue and can't even practice there. And hey UK opponents... these sweet, old folks won't bother you or stir you up too much, so just relax and put on a great show and we'll televise it nationally for you so you can flash your smile and jumper for the several dozen NBA scouts who will surely be there. It's an opportunity of a lifetime!

Yep, I agree one of the first steps here is to move the arena back to campus. Give the elites their box seats. Put the students in the first 10 rows all around the floor. Opponents will dread playing there because they'll be intimidated and disturbed. Right now, it's just a huge stage filled with 20,000 plus. Our own players do better in away games and neutral site games. Our fans who love to get loud and rowdy can't wait for neutral site games, SEC Tournament games, and NCAA-T games so they can actually affect the game. Now, where's my fan, my mask, and my tuxedo? Time to go.
If the SECT environment is so good, then why do we play so poorly? The fans aren’t impacting anything good in Nashville. And to say our players do better in away games? I guess I’ll have to compare our home and away record (just SEC games to verify). Had no idea we are a better road team in the SEC.

Reactions: IL Wildcat
You are right. I can't believe what I was thinking. The rich people are the only ones that should matter.
I think it just comes down to market dynamics. Like any business, people charge as much as demand will allow. That’s all UK is doing. Maximizing revenue. Same with hotels, restaurants, etc. Why would UK give away a seat when they could make hundreds of thousands? Who on this board would? It’s not our money we are willing to forego.

Yea let's change things at a place we have won almost 90% of our games since the friggin 70's.
When Rupp needs to be loud and into a game, it is. Always has been, and always will be.

If you want a bunch of kids jumping around for 40 minutes against Texas A&M Commerce, then go hang out at Duke.

Reactions: davtay and UKortho
2) to pacify the big donors for losing their prime seats, take the top 4-8 rows of the lower arena and create Box Seating, with rails and slightly wider padded seats and a personal waiter.

Just to comment here, this is physically impossible without damaging the structure as that lower area is step-down concrete so you would have to cut into it to make a seat, plus those seats cant see the jumbotron. Then, think of all the space behind it being used for stairs, maintenance, and bathrooms. Just a massive renovation.

Reactions: sjjones
I've had lower arena seats 12 rows off of the court since the 70s. I don't use them now, my grandkids do, but I've never been told to sit down or be quiet. That is made up. If you are being an ass, sure, you will get told to calm down, but if you are cheering, never.

I have an older friend that won tickets to a game this year and was told to sit down....by Eli Capilouto.

Reactions: mbc82584
I’ve been going to Rupp since 1984 and it’s always been the same - One of the best venues in the country for a big game or rivalry game, and pretty ho hum for early season cupcakes and SEC games the Cats are double digit favorites in.

You could bring in 10 DJs, 50 flame throwers and WWE’s pyrotechnics and you’re not getting a raucous crowd for UK vs. Coppin State or UK vs. a bad Mizzou or Vandy team.

I've been to many SEC games that few fans care about - Bama/Ole Miss, Auburn/Vandy type games over the years.

I think a big problem fans have with Rupp is they only see games that are on TV that are college game day matchups, but as UK fans, we see every game in Rupp. The 9:00pm Wednesday night , 12 degrees outside games.

Yes, fan support for UK at Rupp has diminished. Its a combination of things - and there is no debate that One and Done has played a role in fans lack of connection to the team. At the same time Boomers aren't going to games like they used to. In my day, tickets were so hard to come by that we drove 5 hours to see the Cats play, and then turn around and come back home.

I don't think there are nearly enough 20 somethings today that are devoted enough fans to do that. They addressed it by creating better seating and dropping its size, upgrading big bertha and a few other things which increased demand by making fewer tickets available.

Another point is, which I'm sure has been mentioned is that during the stretch of losses at Rupp, Rupp arena was on fire, you couldn't ask for better fan support in those losses - packed arena, people making noise.

So yea, it can be quiet when the team is shooting 30%, your starting PG has a turnover to assist ratio that is similar to Derby favorite odds and your one-and-done is clanking 3's, but put an exciting team on the floor and Rupp rocks.

That hasn't changed since its opening.

Last edited:
I was told to sit down twice out of 30+ games that I’ve been to. Once politely and once very rudely. @susan2361 and I got into a spat about this some years ago, lol. I stand when those in front of me stand, but sit when they sit.

I keep hearing people say it's just that young people don't care enough about the sport to attend.
None of us here are old enough to remember but there was a time when boxing and horse
racing were more popular sports in this country than basketball. But both those sports were
solely focused on maximizing the money they could make from live spectators. Both were
flat out against people being able to view their sports from home on tv, unless they got paid
really big bucks. As a result of not caring about appealing to the masses both sports
popularity dwindled and now both are followed by a very small percentage of our population.
Catering to the rich is not how you get widespread appeal. And those people who can't go
to the games spend give lots of money to the university by buying shirts, hats, etc. And those
guys just watching on tv also contribute. If not for them there would be no tv money. It is simply
false that a few rich people fund everything.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT