ADVERTISEMENT

ITS BROKEN—The Dynamics of Fixing Rupp Arena

mbc82584

Junior
Jun 11, 2006
TLDR- Rupp is no longer an advantage to Kentucky and pails in comparison to basically all other CBB schools.

I’ve been going to Rupp for over 35 years. Always lower arena and often close to court. Big games, small games, all games.

I have watched a deterioration of that stadium, especially over the last 15-10-5 years, that is unprecedented and increasingly a problem.

I’m going I try to compartmentalize the three actions that are a problem so talking about this is easier:

1) The Show

Go to any decent schools arena and you are going to find A SHOW BUDDY.

Flame throwers, smoke shows, a DJ, an MC, crowd chants throughout the game, loud rap music, things falling from the rafters, shirt giveaways, and I can go on and on.

It’s is beyond obvious we have decided we are above “the show”. We don’t even chant “blue/white” anymore before the game, much less during….ever.

2) Opera House Atmosphere

The most stunning thing to me is how great our fans are on the road, at neutral, and in tournaments.

At home, however (and you know this FOR A FACT IF YOU HAVE SAT IN LOWER AND ARE A LOUD FAN) you and literally shit on if you are a standing up, screaming fan at Rupp. It is not anyone’s fault except the ADs over the years. Season tix were over allocated to previous players (big time), but it’s led to the “boue hair” syndrome in the lower.

We must find a way to make the lower arena loud and intimidating. If you combine them with the already loud uppers it may immediately become best environment in CBB again.

3) Media must be updated, it sucks.

Unless CBS is in town (they bring their own stuff), our cameras look like they’re from 2011 and we don’t have any media cut in valves that make the production look so much better even for incompetent production staffs like ESPN. Jay Bills ice cream shots can actually look good, believe it or not. More importantly, our crowd can sound way louder and cooler, especially if we fix the lower arena.

Anyway, these are just my thoughts on Rupp and
How it affects our team. If we were unbeatable at Rupp we would be a #1 seed right now and considering we’ve almost always been unbeatable at home, I think it’s the most important thing to fix.

Please tell me the stuff I’ve missed, I wanna hear it.

TLDR- Rupp is no longer an advantage to Kentucky and pails in comparison to basically all other CBB schools.

I’ve been going to Rupp for over 35 years. Always lower arena and often close to court. Big games, small games, all games.

I have watched a deterioration of that stadium, especially over the last 15-10-5 years, that is unprecedented and increasingly a problem.

I’m going I try to compartmentalize the three actions that are a problem so talking about this is easier:

1) The Show

Flame throwers, smoke shows, a DJ, an MC, crowd chants throughout the game, loud rap music, things falling from the rafters, shirt giveaways, and I can go on and on.

It’s is beyond obvious we have decided we are above “the show”. We don’t even chant “blue/white” anymore before the game, much less during….ever.

The most stunning thing to me is how great our fans are on the road, at neutral, and in tournaments.

At home, however (and you know this FOR A FACT IF YOU HAVE SAT IN LOWER AND ARE A LOUD FAN) you and literally shit on if you are a standing up, screaming fan at Rupp. It is not anyone’s fault except the ADs over the years. Season tix were over allocated to previous players (big time), but it’s led to the “boue hair” syndrome in the lower.

We must find a way to make the lower arena loud and intimidating. If you combine them with the already loud uppers it may immediately become best environment in CBB again.

Unless CBS is in town (they bring their own stuff), our cameras look like they’re from 2011 and we don’t have any media cut in valves that make the production look so much better even for incompetent production staffs like ESPN. Jay Bills ice cream shots can actually look good, believe it or not. More importantly, our crowd can sound way louder and cooler, especially if we fix the lower arena.

How it affects our team. If we were unbeatable at Rupp we would be a #1 seed right now and considering we’ve almost always been unbeatable at home, I think it’s the most important thing to fix.

Have you been to a game? We have loud rap music, we have flames and smoke, they throw out shirts etc. We literally have everything you just said we don’t. I'm very confused by this post, I'll file it under poster complaining without having a clue.

Have you been to a game? We have loud rap music, we have flames and smoke, they throw out shirts etc. We literally have everything you just said we don’t. I'm very confused by this post, I'll file it under poster complaining without having a clue.

1) I go to at least 5 games a year and have since I was a baby.

2) Compared to any other place, our music is tame. Mind you, we don’t have a DJ or MC keeping our fans in unison during the games and timeouts. That is a huge disadvantage versus what all our competition is doing.

3) Go to Thomson bowling arena (not for a big game, but a regular game) and see what actually flamethrowers and t shirt throwers are. It is a different world from what we do, and it pains me to say that.

4) None of that addresses the fact that a majority of the people in the first 8-12 rows are allergic to sound and protected by the blue coats and all the other employees in the lower.

• Haha
Reactions: KFuqua

2) Compared to any other place, our music is tame. Mind you, we don’t have a DJ or MC keeping our fans in unison during the games and timeouts. That is a huge disadvantage versus what all our competition is doing.

3) Go to Thomson bowling arena (not for a big game, but a regular game) and see what actually flamethrowers and t shirt throwers are. It is a different world from what we do, and it pains me to say that.

4) None of that addresses the fact that a majority of the people in the first 8-12 rows are allergic to sound and protected by the blue coats and all the other employees in the lower.
The first 8-12 rows? Do you know how many rows are in Rupp? Of course the people sitting on the court aren't jumping up and down. You are full of it.

1) The Show

2 is a myth and not true.

I've been to games at a ton of major D1 schools in the last 2 years. I'm also a season ticket holder at Rupp. I'm not sure how a DJ creates a harder atmosphere to play in or for that matter short cannons etc. Seems like you are complaining just to complain. Our music is loud when it needs to be loud and we have the same t-shirt cannons I see at every other arena ive been to. Maybe you feel it's different because interior space in other arenas is half the size so being closer gets you more excited. The smoke and flames we have is the same as it is everywhere. Even NBA arenas use the exact same ones. Again I think you are confusing closeness and smaller spaces with louder and bigger when in reality they are the same.

The one point I can agree on is lower level sidelines in Rupp aren't as crazy as the ones where students are allowed to set there. That's an aspect that will never happen in an arena as large as Rupp but it never hurt us in our storied tradition and it still doesn't now.

I’ve only been to one game, (I’m poor), but I remember seeing all the things you said Rupp didn’t have??? I’m confused

MBC, of course you are right. It happens every time I go to games, which is every season. Upper level fans will stand and cheer, but if anyone stands up for anymore than about 10 seconds at a time in the lower bowl (other than the student section, which has no seats and is on a lower level than the seats above), they get shouted down. The people who disagree with this are likely the same blue hairs who own those season tickets. So, get ready to get shouted down on this thread.

There is no question, the atmosphere at Rupp is, as you say, much like an opera house. There is some noise on the biggest games, but even then it's weak. We've seen first hand how important a great crowd can be. We see it on every road game. Let's just face it, Rupp doesn't come close to any of those other road environments. They've all got us beat. I think part of that is why this year's team plays better on the road.

Another part of the whole thing is the frustration and bitterness toward Calipari. Now, I'm not one to be too critical of fans who are upset. I agree the product hasn't been as good in recent seasons. But I draw the line when it comes to supporting the team. I may hate the head coach with a passion, but I will support the guys wearing blue and white until my voice goes hoarse. I think some are basically staging a protest as they sit on their hands.

I'm prepared for the onslaught and the shout down right here. I'll join you in accepting it MBC. It's coming. 😀

Student area needs to be on whatever side the opponent’s offense is on in the second half. As it is now the students are on the other side from the opponents offense in the second half. Stupid.

The oldies need to be priced or phased out. That might take a while. Maybe offer the a comfortable suite. We’ve got to get younger people there.

The rafters were loud and rowdy and I went to many games at the beginning of the year. The younger common fan needs more face time in the lowers.

I don't know, but when I was in UK I remember writing long theses on the internet on my plan to "fix" Rupp Arena, and I can safely say that I have zero confidence in it ever changing over 20 years later.

Will say, I love the pageantry of a UK basketball game. Literally my only complaint is lack of student involvement.

Me and a couple college buddies go to games up and down the East coast every year. I’ve been to Cameron, WVU Coliseum, Thompson Boiling, Neville Arena, Dean Smith Center, the Oncenter and several others. Rupp can be good but it’s like comparing the Derby to a NASCAR race with other arenas. It’s different, sometimes in a good way and sometimes in a bad way. I wish they had luxury boxes for the blue hairs and had the rabid fans closer to court.

I haven't been to Rupp in a few years but I was at Florida and Louisville this year.... our away fans were electric and loud.

Lexington and the old money flowing through those parts you know view UK as more of a birthright. We really don't have a rabid fanbase at home.

Reactions: gbl97 and Zissou87
Student area needs to be on whatever side the opponent’s offense is on in the second half. As it is now the students are on the other side from the opponents offense in the second half. Stupid.

The oldies need to be priced or phased out. That might take a while. Maybe offer the a comfortable suite. We’ve got to get younger people there.

The rafters were loud and rowdy and I went to many games at the beginning of the year. The younger common fan needs more face time in the lowers.
Agreed.

Another proof about the lower bowl being like an opera house is found in going to a game at the SEC tournament or the NCAA tournament. Those UK crowds are loud, as the young folks would say, they're lit! Those folks who have those tickets didn't get sold the tickets 30 years ago or inherit them from grandparents and are entitled to them. For many, it's the first time they've been able to actually SEE the players up close. They are loud and passionate. At Rupp, we're tame and don't cheer loud unless there is a windmill dunk. "Entertain me!" Watch folks at Miss St- they were screaming from start to finish.

I haven't been to Rupp in a few years but I was at Florida and Louisville this year.... our away fans were electric and loud.

Lexington and the old money flowing through those parts you know view UK as more of a birthright. We really don't have a rabid fanbase at home.
Yep, it’s some weird result of the passionate fandom. They aren’t rabid in the way other fans are but I don’t think they’re less passionate. They just are watching it like they are intently analyzing a chess match or something. We need more true fanaticism down there making it intimidating.

MBC, of course you are right. It happens every time I go to games, which is every season. Upper level fans will stand and cheer, but if anyone stands up for anymore than about 10 seconds at a time in the lower bowl (other than the student section, which has no seats and is on a lower level than the seats above), they get shouted down. The people who disagree with this are likely the same blue hairs who own those season tickets. So, get ready to get shouted down on this thread.

There is no question, the atmosphere at Rupp is, as you say, much like an opera house. There is some noise on the biggest games, but even then it's weak. We've seen first hand how important a great crowd can be. We see it on every road game. Let's just face it, Rupp doesn't come close to any of those other road environments. They've all got us beat. I think part of that is why this year's team plays better on the road.

Another part of the whole thing is the frustration and bitterness toward Calipari. Now, I'm not one to be too critical of fans who are upset. I agree the product hasn't been as good in recent seasons. But I draw the line when it comes to supporting the team. I may hate the head coach with a passion, but I will support the guys wearing blue and white until my voice goes hoarse. I think some are basically staging a protest as they sit on their hands.

I'm prepared for the onslaught and the shout down right here. I'll join you in accepting it MBC. It's coming. 😀
I have been to many more games than you. Sit in the lower arena. Three year season ticket holder. Never once seen people tell others to sit down. Not one single time. If you saw it’s an anomaly.

I have been to many more games than you. Sit in the lower arena. Three year season ticket holder. Never once seen people tell others to sit down. Not one single time. If you saw it’s an anomaly.
Anecdotes are fun. Every time I’ve been in lower bowl I’ve been told to sit. At least 10-15 times down there but I’m usually an upper level peon.

UK basketball games remind me a lot of Notre Dame football games. You go to a Notre Dame game and it's like Six Flags Over Football. The traditions are always the exact same. The cheers, the pre-game routines. It's like going to mass.

Then the other thing with UK fans that we are a lot like lifelong heroine addicts. A simple hit of heroine doesn't do a lot for us. We want over the top living on the edge heroine. The best money can buy. Anything else is just kind of....usual.

But it's time for the E-Rupp-tion Zone to go. That's the single biggest problem. Put the students on the sides of the court. Even if it's just like 2-3 deep.

Anecdotes are fun. Every time I’ve been in lower bowl I’ve been told to sit. At least 10-15 times down there but I’m usually an upper level peon.
Sit in section 29 next time. Upper levels aren’t peons. I was there for one year.

Reactions: $Z71$
I’ve been to numerous games this season, and many, many games in past seasons. So many times in lowers. I stand constantly and have never been told or asked to sit. Also, everything OP complained about, I’ve seen it every single game I’ve been to (a lot).
It just doesn’t happen imo.

There were a couple crowd shots after a big play from Kentucky where UK “fans” weren’t even clapping. Like the literal bare minimum expectation as a fan. Please give up your seat to an actual real person if you are above even clapping for a great play from your team. It’s insane to me

The biggest issue is not the fans. It’s other teams getting stoked to play in such a storied Arena in front of such a large crowd and they play their best game of the season. It’s been that way forever.

Reactions: YouKay
It just doesn’t happen imo.
Yeah, it’s weird. I’ve see many post that this happens. I’ve sat in the lower bowl so many times over the last 20 years I couldn’t count. Stand and cheer and basically go insane during each game and never once been asked to sit. Not one time. Usually, I get everyone else up. Or, they are already up. Now, don’t get me wrong, there are some sitting, but they ain’t making me sit when I want to stand.

There is much in the op's post to disagree with but the part about the people in the first 10-12 rows is spot on.
We need students or non-season ticket holders in those seats. The folks who can't stand up don't need to be
in those seats or at least have the common courtesy and decency to not shout down those who get fired up.

Yeah, it’s weird. I’ve see many post that this happens. I’ve sat in the lower bowl so many times over the last 20 years I couldn’t count. Stand and cheer and basically go insane during each game and never once been asked to sit. Not one time. Usually, I get everyone else up. Or, they are already up. Now, don’t get me wrong, there are some sitting, but they ain’t making me sit when I want to stand.
Typically that's all it takes is one person.......

It's a problem when that person doesn't exist.

Reactions: BlueWorldOrder74
There were a couple crowd shots after a big play from Kentucky where UK “fans” weren’t even clapping. Like the literal bare minimum expectation as a fan. Please give up your seat to an actual real person if you are above even clapping for a great play from your team. It’s insane to me
I don't think most broadcasts -- particularly ESPN, do us any favors. Their production quality has slipped. The sound of the arena isn't really "felt" a lot of the times IMO

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT