ADVERTISEMENT

Terry Wilson Question

Word was not too good but a lot not their fault, lots of dropped passes. Wilson threw a pick 6 by Josh and Hoak threw one as well to Kash but for about 65 yds. O 1’s didn’t score on D 1’s but 2’s did all the scoring, said Smoke looked really good but coughed it up twice in the red zone on back to back plays :cheers2:

So we had 4 turnovers 2 for scores and 2 others in red zone taking points away. Lose football games every time when you do this. I would say the coaches were more than a little disappointed

Most of your posts just seem overly pessimistic, I don't know everything like some posters, just have opinions. He had a "ho hum" season" with probably "ho hum" support, I think whoever our QB is this year will have a great RB, a VERY good experienced OL, a top of the line TE, and an experienced and talented WR corp that everyone seems overly concerned about.

And if Wilson can't handle the job we have options.
Still clueless. What am I overly pessimistic about? I didnt like the Matt House hire but it was because he was a bad DC at Pitt although you guys argued otherwise. I said Terry Wilson will take time to develop and to be patient with him based on how he played in JUCO, I'm not sure how that's overly pessimistic either. Garden City is one of the best JUCO's in the country, and won the Nation Title the year before Terry Wilson got there, he had plenty of support and had a ho hum season.

Just a FYI but being overly pessimistic is you guys whining and crying about an ice cream truck pulling up after practice. You guys whining over slogans. You guys celebrating season tickets sales being down. You crying about the Commonwealth renovation. That's just being negative to be negative. There are a lot of overly pessimistic people on this board, I'm not one of them.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
Still clueless. What am I overly pessimistic about? I didnt like the Matt House hire but it was because he was a bad DC at Pitt although you guys argued otherwise. I said Terry Wilson will take time to develop and to be patient with him based on how he played in JUCO, I'm not sure how that's overly pessimistic either. Garden City is one of the best JUCO's in the country, and won the Nation Title the year before Terry Wilson got there, he had plenty of support and had a ho hum season.

Just a FYI but being overly pessimistic is you guys whining and crying about an ice cream truck pulling up after practice. You guys whining over slogans. You guys celebrating season tickets sales being down. You crying about the Commonwealth renovation. That's just being negative to be negative. There are a lot of overly pessimistic people on this board, I'm not one of them.
I don't consider 2700 total yards and over 30 tds ho hum. Everybody has there own barometer I guess.

This post sounds like whining.

This post sounds like whining.
This post looks like a message board groupie mad because his "message board friend" got called out. I would ask what I was whining about but we both know you couldn't answer, you can't even add anything relevant to the topic of this thread because you were just caping.

Funny thing is, Capeman here is gonna be the first one bashing him if he struggles.

Last edited:
This post looks like a message board groupie mad because his "message board friend" got called out. I would ask what I was whining about but we both know you couldn't answer, you can't even add anything relevant to the topic of this thread because you were just caping.

Funny thing is, Capeman here is gonna be the first one bashing him if he struggles.

Yeah, you don’t know much if you think this poster bashes UK football players. That comment alone demonstrates how reckless you are with facts.

As to whining, read your own post. You are not the only one who gets to opine about what reads like whining. Your lengthy complaint read like whining.

After I post this, I will scroll up to see who is my “message board friend,” as I have no idea of whom you comment. I only know I was commenting about your whining.

I dont judge based on numbers or highlight tapes, both can be misleading. I judged based on watching him play and he was ho hum.

I really don't enjoy these kind of slugfests where some think anything goes. I would say don't quit your day job to become a top recruiter though, you do know he was a four star coming out of high school, you do know he signed with a top program that LOTS of talent would like to play for, that has a lot of things UK doesn't. You do know he didn't flunk out there and end up in JC, he fell behind another QB that one recruiting guru thought will be one of the top two QBs in this years draft, as a junior, maybe only behind Mizzou's QB-----maybe he likes to play the game, not watch.

You do know that his top talent at that JC school DIDN'T include two experienced four stars plus the other starter coming back at the WR positions, and a four star TE that many consider the best in the country in next year's draft-----not just for his pass catching ability but also for his very important blocking ability. More important to him probably is the experienced and TALENTED OL he will have helping him. You do know that UK could start an OL that would average a high four star IF that were that important, of course it isn't, our mix of talent and experience should be hard to beat..

And oh, how do you think his RB compared to Snell? There were several excellent programs that were very interested in him, but I think he shut them down early when he saw what UK had to offer.

Might take him some time to settle in but I think he will do fine here, and if he isn't then our other candidates have a lot of potential, Hoak was a four star on ESPN and Clark is supposed to be very talented.

Reactions: UKUGA
I really don't enjoy these kind of slugfests where some think anything goes. I would say don't quit your day job to become a top recruiter though, you do know he was a four star coming out of high school, you do know he signed with a top program that LOTS of talent would like to play for, that has a lot of things UK doesn't. You do know he didn't flunk out there and end up in JC, he fell behind another QB that one recruiting guru thought will be one of the top two QBs in this years draft, as a junior, maybe only behind Mizzou's QB-----maybe he likes to play the game, not watch.

You do know that his top talent at that JC school DIDN'T include two experienced four stars plus the other starter coming back at the WR positions, and a four star TE that many consider the best in the country in next year's draft-----not just for his pass catching ability but also for his very important blocking ability. More important to him probably is the experienced and TALENTED OL he will have helping him. You do know that UK could start an OL that would average a high four star IF that were that important, of course it isn't, our mix of talent and experience should be hard to beat..

And oh, how do you think his RB compared to Snell? There were several excellent programs that were very interested in him, but I think he shut them down early when he saw what UK had to offer.

Might take him some time to settle in but I think he will do fine here, and if he isn't then our other candidates have a lot of potential, Hoak was a four star on ESPN and Clark is supposed to be very talented.
You're the king of typing irrelevant words. I said he had a ho hum JUCO season and will take time to develop, you come back with points about why he left Oregon, how is that relevant? You say he's gonna play with more talent here, well yeah, we're a division 1 SEC program, not a junior college. At Garden City, they had more talent on their team than the vast majority of the teams they faced. He wont have that at UK.

How did his RB compare to Snell? Well the Garden City rb was a 5.6 3 star, Snell was a 5.5 3 star. Oh wait, judging players after you've seen them play based on their HS star rating instead of their performance is moronic, my bad.

Might take some time to settle in you say? Well yeah, that's my point that somehow missed you. Based on his performance in JUCO and the step up in level of competition, its gonna take a while for him to develop so we should be patient.

Last edited:
Might take some time to settle in you say? Well yeah, that's my point that somehow missed you. Based on his performance in JUCO and the step up in level of competition, its gonna take a while for him to develop so we should be patient.

To be clear, you said it would take a "few" years, which to defined as a couple. So, in your opinion, if Terry starts at UK, we need to be patient until his senior year, or so, before he "develops." Just making sure I have your analysis correct.

And, if Gunnar starts? How long before he develops?

To be clear, you said it would take a "few" years, which to defined as a couple. So, in your opinion, if Terry starts at UK, we need to be patient until his senior year, or so, before he "develops." Just making sure I have your analysis correct.

And, if Gunnar starts? How long before he develops?
It may take a few years before he's consistent and doesn't struggle on this level. It may take a few years for Hoak to develop too. None of out QBs are SEC game ready imo. If you think a JUCO transfer and a redshirt sophomore with zero game experience are ready for th e competition we're about face, good on ya. I just have a different opinion.

The latest comments by Coach Stoops seem to indicate we may as well go find a walk on to play QB(is that about right) Would you say that neither Hoak nor Wilson are as ready as Stephen Johnson was at this time 2 years ago?

The latest comments by Coach Stoops seem to indicate we may as well go find a walk on to play QB(is that about right) Would you say that neither Hoak nor Wilson are as ready as Stephen Johnson was at this time 2 years ago?
I would argue Wilson/Hoak aren't as ready now as SJ was last year.

Two years ago is another story, SJ was an afterthought and then when he took the reigns was pretty mediocre (below mediocre to be honest) until the last half of the schedule is when he started to come on.

I'm hoping Hoak and Wilson are way better than SJ was out of the gate two years ago and the learning curve is pretty quick as the season wares on.

Two years ago is another story, SJ was an afterthought and then when he took the reigns was pretty mediocre (below mediocre to be honest) until the last half of the schedule is when he started to come on.

I'm hoping Hoak and Wilson are way better than SJ was out of the gate two years ago and the learning curve is pretty quick as the season wares on.
My point exactly,how are we not at least as well off at QB as we were 2 years ago.

Reactions: jauk11
My point exactly,how are we not at least as well off at QB as we were 2 years ago.
There are simply of couple of dudes on this thread that have no clue about Hoak/Wilson (and to be honest...I don't as well outside of a few spring games for Hoak/Wilson between them) but project themselves as knowing something and you just ignore that mess.

One guy on this thread is constantly making excuses for Stoop's mess ups at UK and is paving an excuse for this year if we don't have a really good year. The other guy is an eternal pessimist that assumes Terry Wilson is a scrub and nobody wanted him (when it's in black and white that Florida/Dan Mullen offered him in January). Just put this threat on snooze and form your own opinion after Florida game in 5 weeks.

One guy on this thread is constantly making excuses for Stoop's mess ups at UK and is paving an excuse for this year if we don't have a really good year. The other guy is an eternal pessimist that assumes Terry Wilson is a scrub and nobody wanted him (when it's in black and white that Florida/Dan Mullen offered him in January). Just put this threat on snooze and form your own opinion after Florida game in 5 weeks.

Good point some don't realize that in between black and white there is this enormous thing called gray. Everyone wants certainty, they want to predict the season, they want to predict the starters, they want to predict how well the quarterback will do and which one will start, but the truth it's that lies in the gray area and no one really knows the answer at this point.

Just in our recent history we have had 4 stars that have for whatever reason failed or contributed little and a 2 star JUCO transfer that led the team to consecutive 7 wins season. You just never know and we won't know until the season actually starts. But that's the answer no one wants to hear.

Reactions: SPECT imaging
Good point some don't realize that in between black and white there is this enormous thing called gray. Everyone wants certainty, they want to predict the season, they want to predict the starters, they want to predict how well the quarterback will do and which one will start, but the truth it's that lies in the gray area and no one really knows the answer at this point.

Just in our recent history we have had 4 stars that have for whatever reason failed or contributed little and a 2 star JUCO transfer that led the team to consecutive 7 wins season. You just never know and we won't know until the season actually starts. But that's the answer no one wants to hear.
Again, re the QB whoever it is, UK MUST keep the player clean and on the field. For 10+ years now, and thru numerous QBs, we've seen injury after injury that either affected development or ended careers. Needs to change.

It may take a few years before he's consistent and doesn't struggle on this level. It may take a few years for Hoak to develop too. None of out QBs are SEC game ready imo. If you think a JUCO transfer and a redshirt sophomore with zero game experience are ready for th e competition we're about face, good on ya. I just have a different opinion.

Unlike you, I don’t actually have an opinion. I don’t know how anyone could who has not seen practice.

Unlike you, I don’t actually have an opinion. I don’t know how anyone could who has not seen practice.
Maybe you're having trouble reading, I said based on his ho hum JUCO season. Remember the thing some of you got mad about because he was a 4 star recruit, had a highlight tape, and averaged 190 passing and 40 yards rushing a game, so he couldn't have possibly had a ho him season. There is plenty of information out there in form of his actual game film to watch, evaluate, and form an opinion and make an educated guess on how he will perform at this level.

You're mighty spicy for a guy who doesn't have an opinion on the subject, weird. It's almost like you're "that guy" who just wants to argue.

Last edited:
Maybe you're having trouble reading, I said based on his ho him JUCO season. Remember the thing some of you got mad about because he was a 4 star recruit, had a highlight tape, and averaged 190 passing and 40 yards rushing a game, so he couldn't have possibly had a ho him season. There is plenty of information out there in form of his actual game film to watch, evaluate, and form an opinion and make an educated guess on how he will perform at this level.

You're mighty spicy for a guy who doesn't have an opinion on the subject, weird. It's almost like you're "that guy" who just wants to argue.

You can falsely accuse me of getting mad and exaggerate all of you like, as it appears to be your way. But, you have admittedly seen nothing in practice, but only rely upon your claimed vieweing of the videos on Youtube. I think that sample is incomplete.

But it appears you are the saucy poster. I simple said I have no opinion and don’t see how anyone without actuall recent knowledge can know how Wilson has developed under the tutelage of Hinshaw in Gran’s offense. If you want to get personal over such a post, that is on you.

You can form about as good of an educated opinion on his gameplay as possible by watching his complete game tapes on youtube.

4-5 full games out there.

Could he be WAY better now? Sure

Is it likely that he is WAY better now (after stepping up in competition, playbook complexity etc)? No, not yet.

Could he be our best option? Sure

Reactions: ~Keyser Soze~
Again, re the QB whoever it is, UK MUST keep the player clean and on the field. For 10+ years now, and thru numerous QBs, we've seen injury after injury that either affected development or ended careers. Needs to change.

They've recruited some outstanding offensive lineman inducing a 5 star tackle and severl high 3 and 4 star players. They refused to play a talented running back last year because he did not have a full grasp of the protection schemes - which by the way they took a lot of criticism for from the internet experts who know more than the coaches :) They've recruited maybe the best blocking TE in college football. So what else do you want them to do?

When Mumme was here he featured the 3 step drop and the reason is the ball is out before the rush can get to the QB. However no OC we have had here since has featured an offense with a 3 step drop, and it's rare to see that offense in todays game. So you are going to have sacks, you're going to have QB scrambles, you are going to have designed QB runs and they will end in a tackle. When they go down they can get hurt.

SJ was injured but he was still able to play the last two years almost every snap. Towles played most all of the time he was a starter. You can't hold this staff responsible for things that happened 7-10 years ago.

Reactions: Colonial Farm 80
You can form about as good of an educated opinion on his gameplay as possible by watching his complete game tapes on youtube.

4-5 full games out there.

Could he be WAY better now? Sure

Is it likely that he is WAY better now (after stepping up in competition, playbook complexity etc)? No, not yet.

Could he be our best option? Sure

I don’t know what is most likely. Stoops admitted in the spring that SJ’s first spring the staff was confident he would never take a snap in the SEC absent extreme circumstances. In the fall, they saw him develop into a solid backup with whom they had confidence. We now know he led UK to 14 wins in two seasons.

So, fans without knowledge can speculate all they want. It’s what fans do. But, they don’t know.

I don’t know what is most likely. Stoops admitted in the spring that SJ’s first spring the staff was confident he would never take a snap in the SEC absent extreme circumstances. In the fall, they saw him develop into a solid backup with whom they had confidence. We now know he led UK to 14 wins in two seasons.

So, fans without knowledge can speculate all they want. It’s what fans do. But, they don’t know.
Pretty silly to avoid any type of data that could be used to develop educated opinions/evaluations and then call it all speculation.

Why do coaches watch film on recruits? I mean who knows what will happen when they hit campus......so why waste time?

And the reason for our 14 wins was bc we went smashmouth run heavy behind our OL and Benny Snell. SJ was unbelievable against UL and had maybe a handful of really nice games in his 2 seasons - but I'd say his talent was probably on par with what his evaluations showed.

They've recruited some outstanding offensive lineman inducing a 5 star tackle and severl high 3 and 4 star players. They refused to play a talented running back last year because he did not have a full grasp of the protection schemes - which by the way they took a lot of criticism for from the internet experts who know more than the coaches :) They've recruited maybe the best blocking TE in college football. So what else do you want them to do?

When Mumme was here he featured the 3 step drop and the reason is the ball is out before the rush can get to the QB. However no OC we have had here since has featured an offense with a 3 step drop, and it's rare to see that offense in todays game. So you are going to have sacks, you're going to have QB scrambles, you are going to have designed QB runs and they will end in a tackle. When they go down they can get hurt.

SJ was injured but he was still able to play the last two years almost every snap. Towles played most all of the time he was a starter. You can't hold this staff responsible for things that happened 7-10 years ago.
I'm not holding this staff responsible for what happened 7-10 years ago, I'm pointing out UK's had lousy production and maybe even lousier luck with injuries to QBs. That can't be denied. How does Bridgewater/Jackson play 3 years and miss no injury time? I mean, I don't know other than they had a helluva lot better luck than has UK QBs. Your points about OL recruiting is well taken but UK still gives up too many sacks. Let's hope this finally changes.

Pretty silly to avoid any type of data that could be used to develop educated opinions/evaluations and then call it all speculation.

Why do coaches watch film on recruits? I mean who knows what will happen when they hit campus......so why waste time?

And the reason for our 14 wins was bc we went smashmouth run heavy behind our OL and Benny Snell. SJ was unbelievable against UL and had maybe a handful of really nice games in his 2 seasons - but I'd say his talent was probably on par with what his evaluations showed.

Who would be so bold as to say film review of recruits is sufficient? Doubtful that would be an educated comment.

Of course, our staff and UF’s staff watched film of Wilson and both schools pursued Wilson. So, that film study must have demonstrated something that maybe some fans cannot see. And, we know even coaches’ film study is not dispositive. To think Stoops and Marrow knew what they were getting with Benny is to reject their comments when he broke into the lineup his frosh year. He was much better than they thought.

They would be more ready than SJ but you’re all in on 23 points per game KT :beer:

Reactions: Colonial Farm 80
Who would be so bold as to say film review of recruits is sufficient? Doubtful that would be an educated comment.

Of course, our staff and UF’s staff watched film of Wilson and both schools pursued Wilson. So, that film study must have demonstrated something that maybe some fans cannot see. And, we know even coaches’ film study is not dispositive. To think Stoops and Marrow knew what they were getting with Benny is to reject their comments when he broke into the lineup his frosh year. He was much better than they thought.
This board is pretty worthless then. Let's skip all player evals, game predictions, recruiting class breakdowns, practice reports etc.

Film review is about as sufficient as a fan can do...and since this is a fan message board, it would be very appropriate to watch film on a prospect if you want to form an educated opinion on said prospect.

I'd guarantee a fan who has watched complete game performances of a recruit is going to have a much more educated opinion than one who hasn't seen a second of gameplay and says "why speculate"...I don't get the argument.

Reactions: ~Keyser Soze~
This board is pretty worthless then. Let's skip all player evals, game predictions, recruiting class breakdowns, practice reports etc.

Film review is about as sufficient as a fan can do...and since this is a fan message board, it would be very appropriate to watch film on a prospect if you want to form an educated opinion on said prospect.

I'd guarantee a fan who has watched complete game performances of a recruit is going to have a much more educated opinion than one who hasn't seen a second of gameplay and says "why speculate"...I don't get the argument.

You read a lot that is not written. I never told anyone not to watch film, even if you don’t know what you are assessing. For some fans, however, film review does not make them more knowledgeable, because they don’t know how to assess skill sets.

I know the coaches watch film and, as I said, they wanted Wilson, as did others. And, I am sorry if you don’t like the fact that you don’t get to see recently coached development. But, unless you are special, that is just a fact. Don’t blame me. So, until you devise a way to go beyond speculation for that which you cannot see, speculation is the best you can offer. And, that is sometimes not worth crap.

Again, just a fact of life for message boarder. Not my plan and not my fault. Just fact.

So, tout yourself as most knowledgeable fan. It’s a bit oxymoronic.

I don’t give a shit that I am not invited to watch practice LOL. I am far from the most knowledgeable poster - again, don’t give a crap about that. I will however put more stock into people’s opinions who have studied and looked into whatever the topic may be.

If you do not believe you would be more knowledgeable about Terry Wilson’s strengths and weaknesses, tendencies and athleticism by watching complete game tapes from less than a year ago, then I am not sure you are a reasonable guy.

Is he play going to be exactly what it was in JUco - nope, don’t think so. Will it show some good indicators of what he will excel in and struggle with? Yeah.

I don’t give a shit that I am not invited to watch practice LOL. I am far from the most knowledgeable poster - again, don’t give a crap about that. I will however put more stock into people’s opinions who have studied and looked into whatever the topic may be.

If you do not believe you would be more knowledgeable about Terry Wilson’s strengths and weaknesses, tendencies and athleticism by watching complete game tapes from less than a year ago, then I am not sure you are a reasonable guy.

Is he play going to be exactly what it was in JUco - nope, don’t think so. Will it show some good indicators of what he will excel in and struggle with? Yeah.

You are a walking strawman argument.

How can anyone know the answer to that, when practices are closed and the coach isn’t going to tell us anything until he has to?

How can anyone know the answer to that, when practices are closed and the coach isn’t going to tell us anything until he has to?
Wilson has been here about the same amount of time that Johnson was 2 years ago,Hoak has been here longer so we(team) are ahead of the game there.Wilson and Johnson are in a flat out competition for the #1 spot,Johnson was a back-up and getting back-up reps at this point.One could make the case that QB skills are a wash between the three.Johnson was 6'2" and 165 when he got here,Wilson and Hoak are bigger.

My point is the same as yours,we don't know but what we do know is that we should be at least as well off at QB as we were 2 years ago. I was poking a bit of fun at the overly negative posters and media who seem to think we have taken some type of giant step backward at the QB spot relative to two years ago.

Reactions: DA23_rox and jauk11
Did you learn nothing from the past two seasons?

I think I have learned that our QB will probably look a lot better than expected whoever it is because of what could be the best overall support we have ever had for him.

JMO

Reactions: matt_man
We get to see soon enough. Wilson's completion percentage wasn't good in JUCO and it didn't look that good in the spring game. Hoak is the kid everyone wanted to stay but everyone seems concerned about.
Wilson is folks hopes for a Lamar Jackson, but those kids are a once in a blue moon shot.
If Hoak or Wilson is solid (if unspectacular) Kentucky will be fine on offense....because the whole game shouldn't fall on them.
Don't throw lame duck ints, don't put the ball on the ground. A solid short to medium passing game is fine....toss and catch all night long. Eat the clock, move the chains.
Bust a run after catch. It all works.

ADVERTISEMENT