ADVERTISEMENT

Terry Wilson Question

OK...so what's the reasoning behind the remaining huge QB rush threats that win heismans? Not to mention the plethora of really good run QB who were awesome in college but not heisman winners (Dak Prescott, Vince Young, Russel Wilson, etc)?
I've seen analyses that say the CFB rule that allows OL 3 yards downfield - vs. NFL's 1 yd - forces longer time pass coverage by the D which leaves QB's more space to run.

I don't know, but how many qbs do you know that are talented that it takes three years to learn the system? Something doesn't make sense or the coaches are sandbagging.
Hoak didn’t play because Stephen and Barker were ahead of him and more experienced. Not because he needed “three years to learn the system”. Wilson just got here, and Clark is a RS freshman. So, maybe you ate lunch once with our coaches, but you don’t seem to understand what you are talking about.

I believe our QB group is the highest upside here in a while. I don’t expect them to immediately perform miracles, but I think our offense will be quite a bit better than last year fairly quickly as long as Benny doesn’t get hurt.

Just think about the terrible run we have have at QB:
Pulley-Kicked off team
Moss-Blew arm out
Newton-Not really sure on him, just not good
Towles-Not bad, couldn’t get over the hump
Barker-Broke his back
Williams-Decommits last second
All those guys were top 10 level QB’s in high school except Pulley.
We are due with Wilson!
Towles played behind one of the worst OLs I remember here. Newton and Moss injured their throwing shoulders. Moss did not blow his arm out. Barker did not break his back, he suffered a disk injury.

You failed to mention that Stoops signed Stephen Johnson, Terry Wilson, and Danny Clark.

I think offenses go pretty much as their OLs go. This year should be good.

Last edited:
Hoak didn’t play because Stephen and Barker were ahead of him and more experienced. Not because he needed “three years to learn the system”. Wilson just got here, and Clark is a RS freshman. So, maybe you ate lunch once with our coaches, but you don’t seem to understand what you are talking about.

I believe our QB group is the highest upside here in a while. I don’t expect them to immediately perform miracles, but I think our offense will be quite a bit better than last year fairly quickly as long as Benny doesn’t get hurt.
Yes ...been to a bunch of these luncheons over the years and I've NEVER heard a coach say it might take 3-6 GAMES into the season to pick a QB...maybe you can explain that to me.

Last edited:
I don't know, but how many qbs do you know that are talented that it takes three years to learn the system? Something doesn't make sense or the coaches are sandbagging.
Which qb is struggling to learn the system? According to the coaches Hoak knows the system well. Wilson has had 1 spring so I am pretty sure the coaches would like to give him a fall to name a qb.

Think Keyser Soze said earlier that he and Wilson were both struggling and would take a few years to develop... You statement makes sense if so. All I was commenting on was either EG or Stoops saying it could take 3-6 games to select a QB...

Last edited:
Think Keyser Soze said earlier that he and Wilson were both struggling and would take a few years to develop... You statement makes sense if so. All I was commenting on was either EG or Stoops saying it could take 3-6 games to select a QB...
To me the coaches want to see who plays the best in games. Stoops made a point to say they've had qbs light practices on fire and freeze up in games. I have no issues playing both qbs early on. I seriously doubt it takes 6 games.

To me the coaches want to see who plays the best in games. Stoops made a point to say they've had qbs light practices on fire and freeze up in games. I have no issues playing both qbs early on. I seriously doubt it takes 6 games.
Just don't think we have that luxury.

I've seen analyses that say the CFB rule that allows OL 3 yards downfield - vs. NFL's 1 yd - forces longer time pass coverage by the D which leaves QB's more space to run.

That rule is why the RPO is so successful - LBs have to play the run and thus can’t give underneath help to the passing game. it opens up the passing game and not the run.

RPOs aren’t about QB runs. Most QB runs these days come out of counter action with a pulling lead blocker. Or of course scramble situations.

Anyone know how the QBs looked in the scrimmage?

Word was not too good but a lot not their fault, lots of dropped passes. Wilson threw a pick 6 by Josh and Hoak threw one as well to Kash but for about 65 yds. O 1’s didn’t score on D 1’s but 2’s did all the scoring, said Smoke looked really good but coughed it up twice in the red zone on back to back plays :cheers2:

More like the realistic view. Hyping a dude up who likely isnt ready isn't doing him any favors.

I think they should give him at least three years of experience before they let him start.

Oh wait, he will be gone then.

I think they should give him at least three years of experience before they let him start.

Oh wait, he will be gone then.
Good point, oh wait, it isn't. What does that have to do with me saying be patient with him because he's gonna struggle?

Good point, oh wait, it isn't. What does that have to do with me saying be patient with him because he's gonna struggle?

Probably about as much as you "knowing" he is a failure before he starts. Oh, and read your posts if you think you don't "know" he will be a failure.

It's a good thing we have that redshirt freshman to fall back on.

Yes ...been to a bunch of these luncheons over the years and I've NEVER heard a coach say it might take 3-6 GAMES into the season to pick a QB...maybe you can explain that to me.

Coach speak?

He doesn't want you to know anything because he knows you would use it to try to get him fired?

Reactions: The-Hack

Yes, and weren't some of our posters out on the field trying to help him correct some of his mistakes. I understand they got pretty frustrated when the QB coach kept interfering.

Last edited:
Word was not too good but a lot not their fault, lots of dropped passes. Wilson threw a pick 6 by Josh and Hoak threw one as well to Kash but for about 65 yds. O 1’s didn’t score on D 1’s but 2’s did all the scoring, said Smoke looked really good but coughed it up twice in the red zone on back to back plays :cheers2:

You have represented yourself as a channel for something you have heard second-hand, and I respect that. That means you weren’t there, but you know someone who was. So let’s assume most of what you heard was close to the truth.

Often, the first scrimmage of August is sloppy. That isn’t a surprise. If Wilson or Hoak threw for 400 yards on the day, I wouldn’t say so if I was the coach. Practice is closed for a reason. What stands out to me is how little our coaches are saying in the way of specifics. This is smart. Often, people imply here that Stoops and Gran are not very wise when it comes to strategy. I happen to think otherwise. If I were them, I wouldn’t give Dan Mullen more information than necessary, and I would play both QBs against CMU without using more of the play book than I have to.

According to Stoops it seems that Wilson and Hoak had plenty of company when it came to screwing up

You have represented yourself as a channel for something you have heard second-hand, and I respect that. That means you weren’t there, but you know someone who was. So let’s assume most of what you heard was close to the truth.

Often, the first scrimmage of August is sloppy. That isn’t a surprise. If Wilson or Hoak threw for 400 yards on the day, I wouldn’t say so if I was the coach. Practice is closed for a reason. What stands out to me is how little our coaches are saying in the way of specifics. This is smart. Often, people imply here that Stoops and Gran are not very wise when it comes to strategy. I happen to think otherwise. If I were them, I wouldn’t give Dan Mullen more information than necessary, and I would play both QBs against CMU without using more of the play book than I have to.

We see a future board of director here :cheers2:

Was Stoops laying some coach speak? Maybe. Traditionally, at UK under Stoops, if memory serves, one scrimmage gets the poo poo from the coaches. Then Stoops watches film and on Monday says it was not all bad and he saw some good things.

Daniel echoed the coach’s comments. It was clear that the talking points were established.

Probably about as much as you "knowing" he is a failure before he starts. Oh, and read your posts if you think you don't "know" he will be a failure.

It's a good thing we have that redshirt freshman to fall back on.
More complete nonsense from you. I said he had a ho hum juco season and would take time to develop with the huge step up in level of competition. If you get " know he will be a failure" out of that, you're a freaking moron.

I dont know anything, using logic, reason, and all the common sense I possess, I believe he will struggle and will need time to develop. You're not gonna put words in my mouth because you have poor comprehension.

Last edited:
Was Stoops laying some coach speak? Maybe. Traditionally, at UK under Stoops, if memory serves, one scrimmage gets the poo poo from the coaches. Then Stoops watches film and on Monday says it was not all bad and he saw some good things...

Your memory seems correct to me. I was getting ready to post pretty much the same thing. To the best of my recollection, there has never been a "good" first scrimmage, spring or summer, in Stoops' tenure here. And I will all but guarantee the second scrimmage will get much higher marks. [winking]

Regarding Freetaxreturn's comments I think we all understand an "improved passing game" is the real key to an improved offense and, by extension, an improved record in 2018. But it is more complicated than the run game where "blocking" pretty much dictates how well you do. Passing game requires blocking, passing and catching. All JMO.

Peace

More complete nonsense from you. I said he had a ho hum juco season and would take time to develop with the huge step up in level of competition. If you get " know he will be a failure" out of that, you're a freaking moron.

I dont know anything, using logic, reason, and all the common sense I possess I believe he will struggle and will need time to develop. You're not gonna put words in my mouth because you have poor comprehension.

Most of your posts just seem overly pessimistic, I don't know everything like some posters, just have opinions. He had a "ho hum" season" with probably "ho hum" support, I think whoever our QB is this year will have a great RB, a VERY good experienced OL, a top of the line TE, and an experienced and talented WR corp that everyone seems overly concerned about.

And if Wilson can't handle the job we have options.

ADVERTISEMENT