ADVERTISEMENT

Terry Wilson Question

My assessment comes from his play in juco and the spring game. I hope I'm wrong and he's Lamar Jackson, I just dont see it. I see fans Morgan Newtoning this kid in the near future because of unrealistic expectations.

There seems to be a lot of room between being Lamar and being a three year project.

Y

So this is about fielding an SEC offense. That means performance. You want Benny running the football, not the QB. QB only runs when necessary. If the QB runs the football as much as Stephen did, he will get hurt sooner or later like Stephen did. What we need from our QB is an effective passing game. Deep ball isn’t enough. QB has to execute the whole play book and protect the football. The one that does all of that best will win the job.

I don't agree at all that you don't want the QB running the ball and Benny/RBs will do all the running.

In college (not NFL)...there are tons of QBs who run the ball a ton and control the game. Almost all the recent Hiesman trophy winners ran the ball a ton and could win games single handidly.

- Baker Mayfield
- Lamar Jackson
- Marcus Marriota
- Johnny Manziel
- Cam Newton
- Tim Tebow

And you would still be bitching
Wow, your ability to comprehend is poor. What exactly am I bitching about? Agree with me or dont agree with me that he needs time to develop, recognize what my point is instead of posting ignorant nonsense.

I don't agree at all that you don't want the QB running the ball and Benny/RBs will do all the running.

In college (not NFL)...there are tons of QBs who run the ball a ton and control the game. Almost all the recent Hiesman trophy winners ran the ball a ton and could win games single handidly.

- Baker Mayfield
- Lamar Jackson
- Marcus Marriota
- Johnny Manziel
- Cam Newton
- Tim Tebow

Mayfield rushed for less than 300 a season despite playing 14/15 games a year - he wasn’t a huge rusher at all.

Mayfield rushed for less than 300 a season despite playing 14/15 games a year - he wasn’t a huge rusher at all.
OK...so what's the reasoning behind the remaining huge QB rush threats that win heismans? Not to mention the plethora of really good run QB who were awesome in college but not heisman winners (Dak Prescott, Vince Young, Russel Wilson, etc)?

Football corpse

803b6-duboisdario1.jpg

Typical answer completely missing the point. Nowhere did I say anything about Terry winning a heisman. My point is 30 tds is not ho hum. Another point Is you cannot always look at juco stats and say a player will do worse in division 1 alot of variables with the talent differences we won't know until we see Terry play.
That's what trolls do....they deflect and put words in your mouth

Yea it happens alot. I don't expect nor do I want all of us to agree but the hyperbole responses are annoying and non productive lol.
LOL, you hyped him up based on a highlight video and compared him to a Heisman trophy winner. I simply said he's gonna take a while to develop based on his ho hum juco season and ho hum spring game. You're the one who brought hyperbole into this.

LOL, you hyped him up based on a highlight video and compared him to a Heisman trophy winner. I simply said he's gonna take a while to develop based on his ho hum juco season and ho hum spring game. You're the one who brought hyperbole into this.
I compared juco stats nowhere did I say he was as good as Cam Newton. Once again you make shit up as you go.

I compared juco stats nowhere did I say he was as good as Cam Newton. Once again you make shit up as you go.
What was the purpose of comparing Cam Newtons stats? Oh yeah, to compare him to Newton. Once again you posted nonsense and are trying to defend it. If you watch his tape, you can see that he needs time to develop, I'm not sure how that's trolling, it is what it is.

If he starts, I expect him to be better than SJ, because Stoops expects better play from the position. I expect Hinshaw to continue to develop Wilson and Gran to put him into winning positions.
All Miss St did was bulldoze teams last year with their QB and RB and throw in some occasional downfield throws, with the players we have I don’t see why we can’t do the same thing.

My assessment comes from his play in juco and the spring game. I hope I'm wrong and he's Lamar Jackson, I just dont see it. I see fans Morgan Newtoning this kid in the near future because of unrealistic expectations.
LOL. First Matt Elam and now Morgan Newton. I can get healthy skepticism but this isn't that. This troll material.

Reactions: Dallas-Wild
LOL. First Matt Elam and now Morgan Newton. I can get healthy skepticism but this isn't that. This troll material.
Another dude who cant comprehend. Saying highlight tapes are misleading, look at Matt Elam's is trolling? Saying I dont want fans to trash him when he doesn't live up to unrealistic expectations like Morgam Newton is trolling? Yikes, talk about oversensitive. This reminds me of the Matt House thread where yall got mad because I pointed out how mediocre his defenses were at Pitt.

Reactions: Blue Decade
There are full games of Garden City online. Wilson is hardly a developed product yet but he's light years better than ho hum.
Yeah, I've seen them and posted 6 of them in this thread when guys were saying his highlight tape is all we had to go on.

- Baker Mayfield
- Lamar Jackson
- Marcus Marriota
- Johnny Manziel
- Cam Newton
- Tim Tebow
Yes, I know QBs sometimes run with the football. You are arguing a hypothetical that I don't necessarily disagree with in all cases. But I wasn't talking about Lamar Jackson who BTW, is a very accurate passer. I was speaking to how Mark Stoops and Eddie Gran will make their decision next month.

Stephen Johnson sustained an injury to his throwing shoulder because he was used in designed running plays as a feature of our offense. Stephen often lowered his pads and fought for more yards after initial contact, because those were designed plays for him.

In 2017, our offense ran the ball 488 times and passed 196 times. This is the most run-pass imbalance you will ever see in an SEC offense, and it was a direct result of Stephen's shoulder injury. It is the reason some people describe our offense as boring and predictable.

If you look at the difference in outcomes between our 2016 and 2017 games against UL, you see the practical difference between a balanced and unbalanced offense. Other factors played into it, but you have to be able to make defenses guess and we couldn't last year.

Some people think Terry Wilson should have the starting job because he can run with the football. That's a nice bonus, but it won't win the starting job for him. The starter should be the guy who can execute a balanced offense and throw the ball on the numbers of our receivers consistently. What our offense needs is a credible passing threat.

Like it or not (and I do), our running game will be built around Benny. Our QB is the guy who runs the offense, controls tempo, and accurately delivers the football into the hands of our receivers. You don't want your QB taking anymore hits than necessary. When he runs, it should be a last resort or a surprise wrinkle in a decisive game situation.

What was the purpose of comparing Cam Newtons stats? Oh yeah, to compare him to Newton. Once again you posted nonsense and are trying to defend it. If you watch his tape, you can see that he needs time to develop, I'm not sure how that's trolling, it is what it is.
OK bud take it however far you wanna run off in left field I'm bored. Terry sucks blada blada I said he's winning a heisman and better than Cam Newton. Does that sum up your opinion?

Reactions: 3Bluefever325
OK...so what's the reasoning behind the remaining huge QB rush threats that win heismans? Not to mention the plethora of really good run QB who were awesome in college but not heisman winners (Dak Prescott, Vince Young, Russel Wilson, etc)?
All QBs who win the Heisman have been great passers. Some have also been good runners, but some weren't. Lamar Jackson was not a prototypical Heisman QB, but he is a much better passer than he gets credit for. Jackson has a cannon, and his accuracy improved tremendously during his career.

Reactions: Blue Decade
OK bud take it however far you wanna run off in left field I'm bored. Terry sucks blada blada I said he's winning a heisman and better than Cam Newton. Does that sum up your opinion?
Nah, my opinion was simple, yet you still didnt get it. I said he had a ho hum juco season and blue white game and was gonna take time to develop because the step up in competition is steep. You somehow took offense to that.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
If he starts, I expect him to be better than SJ, because Stoops expects better play from the position. I expect Hinshaw to continue to develop Wilson and Gran to put him into winning positions.
I think TW will end up starting because I don't think you sign a jc player like him to hold a clip board. If GH hasn't impressed the coaches enough by now to win the job I don't think it's happening. As far as Clark, he looks like the best pro-style qb , but I really don't think that's what MS wants. It's all about running the fb .

You said 3 years to develop. If that is true, he will never play at UK.
I said multiple years to develop, Gunnar Hoak will need multiple years to develop too. Neither is ready right now, one will have to start. I'm simply saying be patient when they struggle because they're going to struggle.

I said multiple years to develop, Gunnar Hoak will need multiple years to develop too. Neither is ready right now, one will have to start. I'm simply saying be patient when they struggle because they're going to struggle.
I'll give you this...breaking in a new QB in the SEC is daunting. It'll be a tough job for whomever wins it.

A few years, by definition, means 3. You said It would take him a few to develop.

Every young QB struggles and needs fans’ patience. You were not just asking fans to be patient. You were making a comment about him specifically, based upon his Juco play.

That's a highlight tape and not an accurate representation of his actual skill level. I'm just saying the dude will need a few years to develop.

Plenty of qbs play as freshman/rsfreshman/sophs and don't need multiple years to develop. It's all about talent and it's not like UK runs a complicated offensive scheme.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
A few years, by definition, means 3. You said It would take him a few to develop.

Every young QB struggles and needs fans’ patience. You were not just asking fans to be patient. You were making a comment about him specifically, based upon his Juco play.
Yeah, I made a judgment based on his play and was called a troll, imagine that. A few years by definition means more than one, it may or may not take the full 3 years he has left but it will take time if we're fortunate and he does develop. Matt Jones blew this kid up based on a highlight tape, now yall get offended when someone is realistic about the situation. Typical message board BS.

Last edited:
Yeah, I made a judgment based on his play and was called a troll, imagine that. A few years by definition means more than one, it may or may not take the full 3 years he has left but it will take time if we're fortunate and he does develop. Matt Jones blew this kid up based on a highlight tape, now tall get offended when someone is realistic about the situation. Typical message board BS.

“A few” means more than 2. For future discussions.

I think TW will end up starting because I don't think you sign a jc player like him to hold a clip board. If GH hasn't impressed the coaches enough by now to win the job I don't think it's happening. As far as Clark, he looks like the best pro-style qb , but I really don't think that's what MS wants. It's all about running the fb .
Kentucky almost certainly had to have a QB in the 2018 class. And Williams 2nd de-commitment late in the game put the staff in scramble mode. Wilson was the best they could up with. How good is Wilson? I have no idea. But as I noted in another post, his JUCO passing numbers were about the same as Johnson's FBS/SEC passing numbers.

FWIW, Stoops and Co. have been scrambling around the QB position ever since they arrived on campus. And that has triggered a lot of QB discussion on this board. Unless someone is fortunate enough to sit in on the staff discussions I'm not sure anyone knows just what the coaches are thinking about the position. JMO

Peace

Reactions: sluggercatfan
Kentucky almost certainly had to have a QB in the 2018 class. And Williams 2nd de-commitment late in the game put the staff in scramble mode. Wilson was the best they could up with. How good is Wilson? I have no idea. But as I noted in another post, his JUCO passing numbers were about the same as Johnson's FBS/SEC passing numbers.

FWIW, Stoops and Co. have been scrambling around the QB position ever since they arrived on campus. And that has triggered a lot of QB discussion on this board. Unless someone is fortunate enough to sit in on the staff discussions I'm not sure anyone knows just what the coaches are thinking about the position. JMO

Peace
Just think about the terrible run we have have at QB:
Pulley-Kicked off team
Moss-Blew arm out
Newton-Not really sure on him, just not good
Towles-Not bad, couldn’t get over the hump
Barker-Broke his back
Williams-Decommits last second
All those guys were top 10 level QB’s in high school except Pulley.
We are due with Wilson!

Last edited:
Just think about the terrible run we have have at QB:
Pulley-Kicked off team
Moss-Blew arm out
Newton-Not really sure on him, just not good
Towles-Not bad, couldn’t get over the hump
Barker-Broke his back
Williams-Decommits last second
All those guys were top 10 level QB’s in high school except Pulley.
We are due with Wilson!
Think Pulley had the talent , but plenty of off field issues.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT