ADVERTISEMENT

Terry Wilson Question

Sparkaces1

Senior
Sep 19, 2012
Who was the coach calling him nonstop when he was on his UK visit? I’m thinking Mullen, but didn’t remember.

Who was the coach calling him nonstop when he was on his UK visit? I’m thinking Mullen, but didn’t remember.
Scott Frost did go another direction at Nebraska...Mullen was all over Wilson before he went with UK.

Our QB has a lot to work with if we can keep them a pocket. Richardson, Bowden, Baker, and Conrad.
This is a pretty good situation for a new starting QB. Last year’s OL got a bum rap because they had to adjust to losing Mosier and Toth. Eventually, they solidified around Drake Jackson. If Landon Young is for real, our OL will be one of the most improved parts of our team. All five starters are better than SEC average. The left side is in great shape with Young and Stenberg.

Then we have the best RB in the SEC, and more RB depth than last year. That means defenses have to respect the running game.

Tavin Richardson may be the most underrated WR in the SEC. Bowden could be the most improved. If Baker is healthy and if Wagner and the freshmen give us anything, then our new QB should be just fine.

This is a pretty good situation for a new starting QB. Last year’s OL got a bum rap because they had to adjust to losing Mosier and Toth. Eventually, they solidified around Drake Jackson. If Landon Young is for real, our OL will be one of the most improved parts of our team. All five starters are better than SEC average. The left side is in great shape with Young and Stenberg.

Then we have the best RB in the SEC, and more RB depth than last year. That means defenses have to respect the running game.

Tavin Richardson may be the most underrated WR in the SEC. Bowden could be the most improved. If Baker is healthy and if Wagner and the freshmen give us anything, then our new QB should be just fine.

Good post. I have nothing to really add to it, but I liked the mention of Tavin Richardson, not many people give him credit and I feel the same way about him. That kid has serious talent and he never drops anything. Probably one of my favorite players on the team.

Our QB has a lot to work with if we can keep them a pocket. Richardson, Bowden, Baker, and Conrad.
I agree with this, also think Epps showed some great flashes, and Ali also had a few good catches as well. We just need one of those speed guys to step up from their freshman season and become a reliable receiver to open up the field for the rest of the WRs. I think Tavin Richardson will be a star if we get solid QB play, also Bowden is a sure fire superstar IMO. We have the possession guys and the slot guys just need one of the speed guys to be consistently reliable.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
I agree with this, also think Epps showed some great flashes, and Ali also had a few good catches as well. We just need one of those speed guys to step up from their freshman season and become a reliable receiver to open up the field for the rest of the WRs. I think Tavin Richardson will be a star if we get solid QB play, also Bowden is a sure fire superstar IMO. We have the possession guys and the slot guys just need one of the speed guys to be consistently reliable.
Baker and Bowden have plenty of speed and are stronger players than Epps and Ali.

If Baker is all the way healthy, he and Richardson should see the bulk of the important snaps on the outside. After that, there is a battle for roles with Wagner, Epps, Ali, and the freshmen. The new redshirt rule means every freshman gets his chance. We will find our fast if Wagner can win a job against all the other lesser experienced WRs.

Great synopsis...our OL talent is really strong even compared to SEC teams. I think we have more talent than Vandy, UT for sure. I am pretty solid that we're more talented than USC and UF. I think UGA and Mizz have a bit more talent mainly due to QB play. But were not bad at all offensively.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
I really like Richardson. Showed flashes of brilliance last year so If he can be more consistent this year then he will be a star.

Who is the fastest among the WR?
Don't recall ever really seeing much about the 40 time at WR!

Who is the fastest among the WR?
Don't recall ever really seeing much about the 40 time at WR!
Idk the answer 100 percent but if I had to make an educated guess on a ton of reading I'd say it goes Epps Hughes Ali as far as 40 times.

I doubt that's enough. QB these days has to also be some run threat.

Both of our options can run. Gunnar obviously is not the fastest, but Gran has stressed that the QB run will be in place with either QB.

Personally with Benny in the backfield, I would rather have the better passer back there when the D starts sneaking up to try to stop him. Gunnar is still fast enough to pull it and run when needed. We are in good hands with either QB. JMO of coarse.

Except for the whole having zero experience in the system and only 1 ho hum juco season under his belt going into the SEC.

Idk the answer 100 percent but if I had to make an educated guess on a ton of reading I'd say it goes Epps Hughes Ali as far as 40 times.
Is Ali really that fast? He looked slow last year. Maybe because he was still learning the routes and unsure of what he was doing? He didn't come across to me as a speedster.

Except for the whole having zero experience in the system and only 1 ho hum juco season under his belt going into the SEC.
If Wilson is as limited as you are suggesting, then he won’t win the competition.

The QB that comes out of the competition as the starter should be fine. There are more weapons now than last year, and the OL should be better.

It’s true that the QB will be inexperienced. Sometimes inexperienced players deliver. Stephen Johnson was inexperienced when he took over after Barker got hurt. Benny was inexperienced when he rushed for 1,000 yards as a freshman. Bama won the NC game in January with a freshman QB who hadn’t played much.

If Wilson is as limited as you are suggesting, then he won’t win the competition.

The QB that comes out of the competition as the starter should be fine. There are more weapons now than last year, and the OL should be better.

It’s true that the QB will be inexperienced. Sometimes inexperienced players deliver. Stephen Johnson was inexperienced when he took over after Barker got hurt. Benny was inexperienced when he rushed for 1,000 yards as a freshman. Bama won the NC game in January with a freshman QB who hadn’t played much.
I think a lot depends on how the coaches want to play, it would not shock me at all if we just run non stop and throw the occasional pass, in that case why not play Wilson who is another run threat.

Even if he beats out a 3 star QB with zero experience doesn't mean he's ready to compete in the SEC.

Why not mention Florida as well?

A new quarterback target has emerged for Florida.

The Gators extended an offer Tuesday to junior college QB Terry Wilson, who is ranked the nation’s No. 2 dual-threat passer in the 247Sports Composite JUCO rankings.
Because they weren't a legitimate choice - Emory Jones was their #1 and they locked that up. Wilson did not get papers from UF. Had they failed with Jones, maybe.

Mullen did not recruit Wilson at MSU and Frost did not at UCF. Wilson was a backup plan for the new coaches though. That's just the truth of the matter.

Why not mention Florida as well?

A new quarterback target has emerged for Florida.

The Gators extended an offer Tuesday to junior college QB Terry Wilson, who is ranked the nation’s No. 2 dual-threat passer in the 247Sports Composite JUCO rankings.
I def think Florida was after him pretty hard, now I don't know the timeline on when Jones came into the picture and if they cooled on Wilson or if Wilson committed to UK and they moved on. There is so much going on behind the scenes it's crazy.

I'm just saying yall are putting way too much on this dude. He's has 1 ho hum juco season and an underwhelming Blue-White scrimmage under his belt and will take a few years to develop. Yall are gonna end up trashing him like Morgan Newton when he doesn't live up to the unfair "Touchdown Terry" expectations Matt Jones put on him. He's simply not that good right now.

Reactions: 99firerock
Baker and Bowden have plenty of speed and are stronger players than Epps and Ali.

If Baker is all the way healthy, he and Richardson should see the bulk of the important snaps on the outside. After that, there is a battle for roles with Wagner, Epps, Ali, and the freshmen. The new redshirt rule means every freshman gets his chance. We will find our fast if Wagner can win a job against all the other lesser experienced WRs.
Baker isn't a speed guy by any means, he ain't slow but he's not a speed guy at all, I'd say he has above average speed though. Bowden is very fast, but I mean like a barn burner type fast which every team needs one wr like such as when we had badet, talking like a wr that's siheim king fast that'll out run a cb on a straight line. Bowden is fast but he'll be a more of an LOS to 20 yards down field kind of guy that we want to get yards after the catch with and he won't outrun abunch of SEC cbs in a straight line like badet could. We need one of our speedster receivers to become reliable to open up the field for everyone else is what I'm saying.

Baker and Richardson are possession guy's, Bowden is a slot/wildcat type of WR, all we need is a barn burner like an Ali that'll out run cbs in straight lines/keep safeties honest on the deep ball to become reliable and we'll have a very dangerous WR corpse as a barn burner speed guy would make the possession guy's and Bowden so much more dangerous than they would be without a player like that opposite of them. Bowden can be that in a sense and is already reliable, it'd just be very nice to have a barn burner become reliable to go along with those guys then it'd make the 10-20 YAC plays for Bowden that much more easy to make as apposed to asking him to go deep and be our YAC LOS screen guy that will already see tons of touches as a wildcat type WR as is:

Reactions: Samurai Cat
What about Zy'aire Hughes from Paducah ? he is known for his speed and athletism could he factor in as well.

Needs to prove he has reliable hands. Seems to have all the other physical gifts to be a potential star. Earnest Simms or Randal Cobb? (A lot of land in between)

I think a lot depends on how the coaches want to play, it would not shock me at all if we just run non stop and throw the occasional pass, in that case why not play Wilson who is another run threat.
You can't be totally one dimensional and be successful playing in the SEC. Especially if your defense is average at best.

Reactions: vhcat70
Because they weren't a legitimate choice - Emory Jones was their #1 and they locked that up. Wilson did not get papers from UF. Had they failed with Jones, maybe.

Mullen did not recruit Wilson at MSU and Frost did not at UCF. Wilson was a backup plan for the new coaches though. That's just the truth of the matter.
I think you're trying to fit the details to back up your feelings.

It is in black and white that UF offered Terry Wilson and that piece was written in January of 2018. When Mullen landed in Florida...he wanted a running QB for his offense and he pursued Terry Wilson. Mullen may have put out multiple offers to other QBs...but he 100% sure did offer Terry Wilson very late in recruiting game no matter how you want to slice it.

Is Ali really that fast? He looked slow last year. Maybe because he was still learning the routes and unsure of what he was doing? He didn't come across to me as a speedster.
I believe he is based off of what coaches and players have said. He seems very smooth just needs to learn the finer points of wr. The corners in this league just about all run 4.5+ your not getting behind them often without properly setting up your route.

I think you're trying to fit the details to back up your feelings.

It is in black and white that UF offered Terry Wilson and that piece was written in January of 2018. When Mullen landed in Florida...he wanted a running QB for his offense and he pursued Terry Wilson. Mullen may have put out multiple offers to other QBs...but he 100% sure did offer Terry Wilson very late in recruiting game no matter how you want to slice it.
That's fine - I will believe that it wasn't committable and papers weren't sent, was a ploy to put pressure on Jones while he was getting ready to visit all of the Florida schools. You can believe UF, NEB and Texas were hot after him like some do. The staff did a nice job of not letting Wilson visit UF as their backup plan, because he sure as heck was our #1 option at that point.

And my main point - signing day I believe he had papers from UK and IU.

I'm just saying yall are putting way too much on this dude. He's has 1 ho hum juco season and an underwhelming Blue-White scrimmage under his belt and will take a few years to develop. Yall are gonna end up trashing him like Morgan Newton when he doesn't live up to the unfair "Touchdown Terry" expectations Matt Jones put on him. He's simply not that good right now.
Underwhelming? What I saw in the Blue/White was a guy with electrifying acceleration and a strong arm. A big strong athlete who is 20 lbs stronger that SJ was. I don't know how good he'll be, but the potential is there and I think he wins the job. For you to say "he's simply not that good right now" based upon the B/W game is quite a stretch.

Underwhelming? What I saw in the Blue/White was a guy with electrifying acceleration and a strong arm. A big strong athlete who is 20 lbs stronger that SJ was. I don't know how good he'll be, but the potential is there and I think he wins the job. For you to say "he's simply not that good right now" based upon the B/W game is quite a stretch.
I said based on him having a ho hum juco season and underwhelming blue-white game. Just my opinion, not a stretch. I'm not the one who's gonna be trashing him when he doesn't look like the same person in his juco highlight film against SEC competition, you guys are.

ADVERTISEMENT