ADVERTISEMENT

Terry Wilson Question

Both of our options can run. Gunnar obviously is not the fastest, but Gran has stressed that the QB run will be in place with either QB.

Personally with Benny in the backfield, I would rather have the better passer back there when the D starts sneaking up to try to stop him. Gunnar is still fast enough to pull it and run when needed. We are in good hands with either QB. JMO of coarse.
Outside Snell comments. all is speculation till they get some CFB PT.

Good post. I have nothing to really add to it, but I liked the mention of Tavin Richardson, not many people give him credit and I feel the same way about him. That kid has serious talent and he never drops anything. Probably one of my favorite players on the team.
On the UK -UL telecast this past November Andre Ware was raving about him.

Even if he beats out a 3 star QB with zero experience doesn't mean he's ready to compete in the SEC.

Agreed - especially considering the UK staff chose to ride the second half of the season out with a QB who could barely throw the ball 10 yards (bad shoulders) and had a messed up knee.

Either Stoops is a bigger moron than I thought (is that possible?) or our backup QBs were a worse option.

Agreed - especially considering the UK staff chose to ride the second half of the season out with a QB who could barely throw the ball 10 yards (bad shoulders) and had a messed up knee.

Either Stoops is a bigger moron than I thought (is that possible?) or our backup QBs were a worse option.
My only problem is not playing GH more last year year in blowout losses and big wins... Maded zero sense.

Last edited:

To my knowledge the crack KY sports media never pursued why a 100% Hoak was bypassed for like a 60% SJ. Guess by the time this all occurred it was time for the next great PG.

Reactions: RonEJones
I said based on him having a ho hum juco season and underwhelming blue-white game. Just my opinion, not a stretch. I'm not the one who's gonna be trashing him when he doesn't look like the same person in his juco highlight film against SEC competition, you guys are.
Any Benny Snell's on that JUCO team? Any D1 Receivers? What about the O Line? Wasn't the B/W game basically two hand touch for the QB's? Dude has serious upside but you can go ahead and take the pessimistic view.

Reactions: BlueTick2
Any Benny Snell's on that JUCO team? Any D1 Receivers? What about the O Line? Wasn't the B/W game basically two hand touch for the QB's? Dude has serious upside but you can go ahead and take the pessimistic view.
More like the realistic view. Hyping a dude up who likely isnt ready isn't doing him any favors.

More like the realistic view. Hyping a dude up who likely isnt ready isn't doing him any favors.
Well, given the staff wouldn't play Hoak when SJ was seriously hurt last year.......draw your own conclusions about who will play. I'm not saying he's not a work in progress....but he has serious potential. He would have shredded our defense in the B/W if it wasn't two hand touch.

I didn’t realize Wilson originally committed to Nebraska out of high school. Is that the Frost connection?

Well, given the staff wouldn't play Hoak when SJ was seriously hurt last year.......draw your own conclusions about who will play. I'm not saying he's not a work in progress....but he has serious potential. He would have shredded our defense in the B/W if it wasn't two hand touch.
Well someone has to play, that doesn't mean that he's ready. He didnt shred Kansas JuCos but he would've shredded our defense? I think you're underestimating the steep level he's about to step up to. He was ho hum against JuCo competition, some of which only has a couple of D1 prospects on defense, some have zero. How do you think that translates to playing on this level?

Well someone has to play, that doesn't mean that he's ready. He didnt shred Kansas JuCos but he would've shredded our defense? I think you're underestimating the steep level he's about to step up to. He was ho hum against JuCo competition, some of which only has a couple of D1 prospects on defense, some have zero. How do you think that translates to playing on this level?
2800 650 2200 550 that's cam Newton vs Terry Wilson juco stats. Obviously Cam is Cam but Newton had better stats in the sec than he did juco. Wilson accounted for over 30 tds which is quite a bit better than ho hum

2800 650 2200 550 that's cam Newton vs Terry Wilson juco stats. Obviously Cam is Cam but Newton had better stats in the sec than he did juco. Wilson accounted for over 30 tds which is quite a bit better than ho hum
So Heisman contender? Shit fire, we might win 10 games.

So Heisman contender? Shit fire, we might win 10 games.
Typical answer completely missing the point. Nowhere did I say anything about Terry winning a heisman. My point is 30 tds is not ho hum. Another point Is you cannot always look at juco stats and say a player will do worse in division 1 alot of variables with the talent differences we won't know until we see Terry play.

Typical answer completely missing the point. Nowhere did I say anything about Terry winning a heisman. My point is 30 tds is not ho hum. Another point Is you cannot always look at juco stats and say a player will do worse in division 1 alot of variables with the talent differences we won't know until we see Terry play.
You can look at juco tape and judge with your own eyes. Dude is gonna need time to develop.

You can look at juco tape and judge with your own eyes. Dude is gonna need time to develop.
Let's get to your comment....where do you come up with "ho hum JUCO"? What is wrong with his JUCO tape?

Based upon spring scrimmage...he did show accuracy issues on simple passes at times and I wonder how that will look in SEC games. But on the other side, he shows a strong arm and a nice deep ball. His speed and size is eye opening...and in a game of spring game where we don't run QB...he is certainly at a disadvantage where in real games he'll be running free.

Let's get to your comment....where do you come up with "ho hum JUCO"? What is wrong with his JUCO tape?

Based upon spring scrimmage...he did show accuracy issues on simple passes at times and I wonder how that will look in SEC games. But on the other side, he shows a strong arm and a nice deep ball. His speed and size is eye opening...and in a game of spring game where we don't run QB...he is certainly at a disadvantage where in real games he'll be running free.
That's a highlight tape and not an accurate representation of his actual skill level. I'm just saying the dude will need a few years to develop.

It seems to me I read a post last year concerning Stoops making a promise to GH and his parents that he would not pull GH's red shirt if he could find a way to avoid it. Does this explain why GH didn't play last year? If this is so, it bodes well for Stoops integrity. Other recruits take note.

Reactions: The-Hack
It seems to me I read a post last year concerning Stoops making a promise to GH and his parents that he would not pull GH's red shirt if he could find a way to avoid it. Does this explain why GH didn't play last year? If this is so, it bodes well for Stoops integrity. Other recruits take note.
Hoak was a redshirt Freshman. I think the staff wanted to be loyal to Barker is why he got the few snaps that Smitty did not take. I firmly believe if Smitty missed whole game time Hoak would have ended up the starter over Barker.

Reactions: BigBadBlueDaddy
That's a highlight tape and not an accurate representation of his actual skill level. I'm just saying the dude will need a few years to develop.
1. You stated "Go look at his film in JUCO and judge with your own eyes". The only film I can see are indeed highlight reels. Unless you have different tape....what tape could you be seeing that tells you he is "ho hum"?
2. I 100% agree that highlight reels aren't worth putting a ton of stock in. And I judge Terry Wilson mostly based upon 6-7 drives he ran in spring scrimmage which is all any fan can at this point.

And I was less impressed with his accuracy on short/intermdiate balls. He was throwing some easy passes at feet or WR/RB. Or behind them, etc.. But he also hit some nice balls as well on slants and other throws. He also had a strong arm and can throw any deep balls (again...is he accurate enough remains to be proven). So Wilson was not awful but not great at throwing...but his running prowess was 100% eye opening. If not for a two hand touch rule...he'd easily have led 2 more scoring drives. He ran away from all UK front 7 and was hard to catch the angle for a few UK DBs. His ability to run is legit and can make a difference.

1. You stated "Go look at his film in JUCO and judge with your own eyes". The only film I can see are indeed highlight reels. Unless you have different tape....what tape could you be seeing that tells you he is "ho hum"?
2. I 100% agree that highlight reels aren't worth putting a ton of stock in. And I judge Terry Wilson mostly based upon 6-7 drives he ran in spring scrimmage which is all any fan can at this point.

And I was less impressed with his accuracy on short/intermdiate balls. He was throwing some easy passes at feet or WR/RB. Or behind them, etc.. But he also hit some nice balls as well on slants and other throws. He also had a strong arm and can throw any deep balls (again...is he accurate enough remains to be proven). So Wilson was not awful but not great at throwing...but his running prowess was 100% eye opening. If not for a two hand touch rule...he'd easily have led 2 more scoring drives. He ran away from all UK front 7 and was hard to catch the angle for a few UK DBs. His ability to run is legit and can make a difference.
I said go look at his film, not his his highlight tape. Actual games, its 2018, you can find some of his games with a basic YouTube search. You can find most of his games if you put in a little work. When you watch his game film its ho hum, its obvious that he is gonna need time to develop. Matt Elam looks like a dominant monster if you look at his highlight film. If you watch his game film you will see that he has poor technique, has trouble getting down, and doesnt really have a motor if he cant run someone over.

Last edited:

Points well taken,what we have seen so far is very limited.Keeping that in mind how much of what we have seen is better or worse than Stephen Johnson as far as talent and athletic ability? He appears to be more durable (just because of size) Will he be a better decision maker,how long will it take for him to grasp the offense.Johnson didn't play until we had to play him,Wilson is in a real competition for the job from day one is he not?

It seems reasonable to me that we are in a better position with Wilson right now than we were with Johnson 2 years ago,in that same light we are probably better off with Wilson/Hoak than with Barker/Johnson.It remains to be seen but we may be in better position at the QB spot than we were in the last 2 years and with a better team surrounding them.

Johnson had a ton of grit and excellent leadership qualities,Wilson has yet to prove he is in the same ballpark with either but the chance to do so is right in front of him

Reactions: AR15CATWARRIOR
Hoak was a redshirt Freshman. I think the staff wanted to be loyal to Barker is why he got the few snaps that Smitty did not take. I firmly believe if Smitty missed whole game time Hoak would have ended up the starter over Barker.

Yes, they sacrificed Hoak's snaps to keep Barker happy. Unfortunately, it was a bad decision.

Your comment reflects a popular view in our base right now. I see it differently.

People look at the competition as a race to replace Stephen. It’s more than that. It’s an effort by our coaches to put an effective multiple offense on the field. Stephen himself replaced Barker because of an injury. Barker replaced Towles late in 2015 because of a stale offense. Towles really didn’t play here with a good enough OL to get much done. This is the first time since Stoops got here that he potentially has enough offensive weapons and a sound OL.

So this is about fielding an SEC offense. That means performance. You want Benny running the football, not the QB. QB only runs when necessary. If the QB runs the football as much as Stephen did, he will get hurt sooner or later like Stephen did. What we need from our QB is an effective passing game. Deep ball isn’t enough. QB has to execute the whole play book and protect the football. The one that does all of that best will win the job.

Last edited:
Reactions: JasonRDunn

A few years? Wow, that is hard to hear. Is your sample only the spring game? If so, how did you assess SJ his first spring?

He was the only guy to show separation speed in the Blue White but that's a limited sample size for sure.

If you can get the ball into his hands, he could be a factor. As I have posted before, there is a lot of room between Stevie Johnson and Earnest Simms. If he is closer to the former than the latter, Hughes may be a player to watch this year.

A few years? Wow, that is hard to hear. Is your sample only the spring game? If so, how did you assess SJ his first spring?
My assessment comes from his play in juco and the spring game. I hope I'm wrong and he's Lamar Jackson, I just dont see it. I see fans Morgan Newtoning this kid in the near future because of unrealistic expectations.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT