ADVERTISEMENT

Swanigan ... Hearing good things

Quality bigs are very hard to find in the 2016 class. Would be nice to to add one to a returning Lee and Swanigan.

And Wynyard.

Would those three scare off any elite bigs?

Just asking. I'm not sure.

And as the old saying goes, "One in the hand is worth two in the bush."

Cal did not promise Lee anything?? Lee was and is a project in progress. In full disclosure, Lee is my favorite player on the team. He has improved physically. He just needs to work on his mid range and FT's. To be fair, Lee is going to get his degree to pursue other endeavors after basketball. He is high energy player and I think he will give us a good year next season. The next Lee, Harrelson, and / or WCS can say Cal helped get them in the nba. GBB

Doesn't matter what we think. Doesn't matter what Lee thinks.

It would be ammunition for other coaches.

If it's best for the team/program, then I can live with that.

I'm just looking at all angles.

Where theres smoke there is usually
Fire.
I think we land this hoss
Ulis
Briscoe
Poy
Swanigan
Lab
Folks that 5 five stars with another one in Lee coming off the bench and a Mr Ky in jr. Hawkins subbing the guards.
We would be consensus #1 with the #1 class again.
Cal would be hailed as a genius.

Except with this 2015 class. Any other class and I'd probably agree with you but this class has shown that it is anything but predictable. Smoke has popped up all over the place with no fire with this class.

I understand this.

I just hope Lee does as well.

And I hope the next "Lee" we recruit doesn't listen to other coaches who tell them that Cal doesn't mind recruiting over you if you don't contribute big your first two seasons.

I have no idea whether Swanigan is better than Lee or not. I have not seen enough of Swanigan to say.

As I have said before, I'll let Cal sort it out.

If Swanigan doesn't come here (I don't think he will) we will be fine, though.
LOL!! Is that what you are worried about? Marcus Lee is a fine player, but he does not make coaching decisions. Some of our fans think Kentucky is the top college basketball program in the country. I think they are right. When a player signs to play for John Calipari at Kentucky, he knows that he will have to compete in practice for playing time. If a player gets outplayed in practice, he might sit in some games. That's called competition. It makes players and teams stronger. Ask Josh Harrellson, Darius Miller, Willie Cauley Stein. If a player is so weak-minded that he thinks he needs guaranteed playing time, then he can sign with Mississippi State, UNLV, California, or Purdue. Then he can watch the FF on TV. Whatever the idiosyncrasies of Diallo, Zimmerman, Newman, and Brown may be in this particular instance, Calipari does not recruit from a position of weakness and never will. Kentucky does not have a monopoly on the signatures of 5 star players, but players who sign with Kentucky understand that they must earn their playing time. I have no idea what Swanigan will decide. If Swanigan decides to play at Kentucky, he will compete for playing time like Lee, Wills, and everyone else. When future recruits see that, they will understand that Calipari is a strong, competitive coach who does not screw around. Kentucky is not for everyone. Kentucky is for competitive players who want to compete at the highest level in the FF and play in the NBA.

Except with this 2015 class. Any other class and I'd probably agree with you but this class has shown that it is anything but predictable. Smoke has popped up all over the place with no fire with this class.

Azubuike 2016 and Swanigan 2015 would be an awesome duo. Similar body types and both try to bring the rim down. Something we haven't had in a long time. Would be very happy with both.

Azubuike 2016 and Swanigan 2015 would be an awesome duo. Similar body types and both try to bring the rim down. Something we haven't had in a long time. Would be very happy with both.

Agreed!! Man, you're right about Azubuike!! That kid literally tries to rip the rim off the backboard every time he dunks. Gotta love that!! Love that aggressiveness on a basketball court.

I would love to have this kid....cant believe there is any debate on the topic.....competition breeds winners.....even guys like lee and probably willis will get opportunity to make $$ playing basketball when they are finished at uk...so in the meantime bring the best and try to hang one while improving due to highly competitive practice and great bball environment!

This is the school where it matters most!

Your line of reasoning is popular right now. But each player makes his own decision. Once in a while, 2 players might discuss their decisions. But in the end, each guy decides what is best for himself. In years when we get Davis and Kidd-Gilchrist, or Randle and the Harrisons, or Towns and Lyles, fans certainly don't suggest that there is a recruiting conspiracy against Kentucky. But no coach alive can keep up that kind of recruiting momentum every year. There are going to be years when Kentucky does not have ESPN's top rated recruiting class. Kentucky cannot force every 5 star to sign with us. Some have other preferences. Some can't handle our level of competition. Kentucky is not for everyone. Other coaches out there are serious, competitive professionals who will compete. Krzyzewski, Roy, Self, Ollie are highly competitive guys who have won national championships. Cuonzo Martin is a highly competitive guy who wants to break through to the top of his profession. But I don't believe for 1 moment that Swanigan's decision will have anything to do with what Newman, Diallo, or Zimmerman decided. Whether Swanigan decides to play for Kentucky or Purdue, he is making a decision about what is best for him. If he picks Kentucky, I will be glad. If he doesn't, then I will move on. We can't get them all, but we are still Kentucky.

Swanigan will get buried on the bench as a freshman if he goes to UK, just like he would have at MSU. He's overrated as hell. I think he plays it smart and goes to Cal.

Swanigan will get buried on the bench as a freshman if he goes to UK, just like he would have at MSU. He's overrated as hell. I think he plays it smart and goes to Cal.
Wrong he will play wherever he chooses. Some people are idiots

Word is he wants a personal chef and as we saw last year... Everybody eats at UK.
Give a man a personal chef at MSU and he eats for a year. Tell a man he can't have a personal chef at UK but when he is in the NBA next year he can get one for each room of his mansion and he eats for a lifetime.

Reactions: brianpoe
Labissiere needs at least 25 mpg.

Poythress needs at least 25 mpg.

Lee needs at least 20 mpg (or why bother coming back).

So that leaves about 10mpg for Swanigan.

So Poy has to spend significant minutes at SF to make room for Swanigan to get significant minutes.

Or make Lee warm the bench again.

I'm glad Cal has to figure this out not me.

25 miles/gallon is not bad for efficiency, but he is capable of getting better mileage in my opinion. ;);)
I'm just joking. I'm not 9 years old.

"Blue Decade, post: 1691214, member:
If Swanigan comes, some fans will have to get it through their heads that Swanigan has a higher upside than Lee, and a much higher upside than Willis."

In what world does Swanigan have higher upside than Lee? If Lee improves his free throws and develops a few post moves, he's easily a lottery pick next year.
No he's not. SMDH.

Your line of reasoning is popular right now. But each player makes his own decision. Once in a while, 2 players might discuss their decisions. But in the end, each guy decides what is best for himself. In years when we get Davis and Kidd-Gilchrist, or Randle and the Harrisons, or Towns and Lyles, fans certainly don't suggest that there is a recruiting conspiracy against Kentucky. But no coach alive can keep up that kind of recruiting momentum every year. There are going to be years when Kentucky does not have ESPN's top rated recruiting class. Kentucky cannot force every 5 star to sign with us. Some have other preferences. Some can't handle our level of competition. Kentucky is not for everyone. Other coaches out there are serious, competitive professionals who will compete. Krzyzewski, Roy, Self, Ollie are highly competitive guys who have won national championships. Cuonzo Martin is a highly competitive guy who wants to break through to the top of his profession. But I don't believe for 1 moment that Swanigan's decision will have anything to do with what Newman, Diallo, or Zimmerman decided. Whether Swanigan decides to play for Kentucky or Purdue, he is making a decision about what is best for him. If he picks Kentucky, I will be glad. If he doesn't, then I will move on. We can't get them all, but we are still Kentucky.

My line of thinking? Im sorry, Im just a little confused here as to why you quoted me about this when I just said that this class was unpredictable. I agree with what youre saying, Kentucky isn't for everyone but this class has been all over the place. Not just with our recruits not picking us but their decisions all together. You mentioned Martin, I'm sure he is a competitive guy but so are a lot of other coaches. Its still a major head scratcher when 2 major recruits choose to go to Cal instead of a blue blood school. Even Rabb deciding to go there was a shock to me. I know its close to home but even that doesn't happen a lot when the school is irrelevant in that sport. Just like any 5 star football recruit who would choose UK over Bama, ND, OSU, ect. Its still a shock if it were to happen. This class has been full of those types of decisions and it is unusual from most every year. Now, there are always surprises for the most part but never as many surprise choices as there has been this year. I think there are several different reasons for the weird decisions and I don't think you can point to just 1 reason for all the weird choices. While recruiting isn't always predictable, it is usually at least a lot more predictable than this class has been.

I generally hate it when people make broad statements based on seeing guys once in an all-star game, but I'M GOING TO DO IT: Swanigan is going to need a little time, IMO. He'd be a big addition for this team's frontcourt but I don't see him starting at the D1 level anywhere, at least not right away.

But Lee may. In that case I think Poythress will play quite a few minutes at the 3.

Best-case scenario is Cal plays him like he did Lyles late in the year and inverts the 3 and 4. Best-best-case scenario is that Poythress improves his ballhandling and turns into Bahamas Poythress.
So a 5star wouldn't start for any D1 team in the country? Lol that's ridiculous.

So a 5star wouldn't start for any D1 team in the country? Lol that's ridiculous.

I don't understand this comment.

There are 5-stars every year that sit the bench.

We had four 5-stars on our bench last year.

So how is this ridiculous?

Marcus Lee is a five star. Poythress is.

If Swanigan were to come somebody is going to be on the bench.

All five star players obviously aren't built the same. I'm not sure how good Swanigan is but from what I've seen he's going to have to do some work to be able to contribute at a high level right away.

Cliff Alexander was a 5 star recruit that sat the bench most of the year for Kansas before being ruled ineligible

Yeah but he would have started for Vandy, WKU, Wash St and dozens and dozens of other D1 schools. Pretty sure that was the point. Just like with Caleb. He might not start for EVERY D1 school, but at least half of them.

I don't understand this comment.

There are 5-stars every year that sit the bench.

We had four 5-stars on our bench last year.

So how is this ridiculous?

What other scenario in college basketball would this be applicable, ever?
Joneslab said something incredibly stupid, it's fine, everybody does it, but don't defend it because not only would he start for a D1 team, but he would start for many of them in CBB.

What other scenario in college basketball would this be applicable, ever?
Joneslab said something incredibly stupid, it's fine, everybody does it, but don't defend it because not only would he start for a D1 team, but he would start for many of them in CBB.

Sorry, I guess I should have used Alexander for KU or Allen for Duke or Jefferson for Duke.

There are several other examples.

I just chose a UK example.

Was it the number of players? Should have went with Wiltjer in 2012 or Poy and Lee in 2014. Maybe that would not have sounded so extreme.

My bad.

I really like Swanigan and coach Cal does too. Listed at 6'8' but I think he is more in the 6'71/2" range. Very skilled Player. Big body hard to move next to boards and has good skills. Would fit in very well.

Not sure why you quoted me because your response has nothing to do with comment. I never said anything about Swanigan's talent lever or whether he would fit in.

I was disagreeing with the poster who said Lee would be a lottery pick next year.

"Blue Decade, post: 1691214, member:
If Swanigan comes, some fans will have to get it through their heads that Swanigan has a higher upside than Lee, and a much higher upside than Willis."

In what world does Swanigan have higher upside than Lee? If Lee improves his free throws and develops a few post moves, he's easily a lottery pick next year.

I love Lee but you ever want to make a bet that he will be a lottery pick please email me. I love winning money.

Sorry, I guess I should have used Alexander for KU or Allen for Duke or Jefferson for Duke.

There are several other examples.

I just chose a UK example.

Was it the number of players? Should have went with Wiltjer in 2012 or Poy and Lee in 2014. Maybe that would not have sounded so extreme.

My bad.

It was the number of players, but there's a common denominator for all of those programs you named. They're all blue bloods, and elite recruiting schools.
There are 347 other D1 schools besides those 3 that do not have even near the kind of recruiting that those 3 get, and the exception outside of those 3 that get similar recruiting is Arizona. It was a bit of an exaggerated comment to make.

Reactions: brianpoe
No he's not. SMDH.

Umm, he very well could be. He's projected late first right now and he's shown practically no offensive skill. If he improves a decent amount, he could very well be a lottery pick. In the same way WCS went from a late first round pick to lottery, Lee could do the same. Freak athletes like Lee aren't very common. SMDH.

You guys know the OP is trolling you right?

Swanigan is a senior who just recently Decommitted. He has taken no part in any AAU activities in the couple weeks since his Decommitment. No one on the AAU circuit has been privy to what has been going on with Swanigan and his handler/guardian the last couple weeks.

With enough motivation, one can do anything.

I understand what you were basing it off of and on defense he would be fine. But if I have to spend any notable time next year watching Poythress try to create from the perimeter only to dribble the ball off his foot, travel, step out of bounds, and generally look like a newborn deer trying to walk then I'm breaking stuff. I've already planned it. He can guard the 3 on defense all he wants. I love it. On offense he needs to stick within 15 feet of the rim.

Agree 100 perecent. "newborn deer" lol.....perfect description.

Of course UK needs post help. I'd remind you that Poythress is far from a sure thing. Who knows when he can return or how effective he'll be. To assume he'll automatically return to his pre-injury form is beyond optimistic.

Had some insightful poster on here the other day suggest that Alex has been "working on his ball handling, creating off the dribble, etc" to play the three during all this time he's had off since last season.

I think many fans have their heads in the sand about the real possibility that we may see a lesser version of Alex this year.

every year someone we're recruiting stretches the process out...could be for the pub sure. but we're technically still in the mix until he decides. regardless of the op's source to me this is getting interesting.

You guys know the OP is trolling you right?

Swanigan is a senior who just recently Decommitted. He has taken no part in any AAU activities in the couple weeks since his Decommitment. No one on the AAU circuit has been privy to what has been going on with Swanigan and his handler/guardian the last couple weeks.

100% correct. California or Purdue in that order. His "handler" uses the wrong language to describe his "client". To much smoke, steer clear.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT