ADVERTISEMENT

Swanigan ... Hearing good things

It's not that easy. Cuonzo may have some semblance of decency, and won't just resort to spring creaning scholarship players (which he is maxed out on) for no reason, and Swanigan isn't going to just pay money to play for a school like California, while Kentucky is offering a scholarship.

I hope....If Cal (Coach Cal) keeps putting UK in the hunt, sooner or later another title must fall. (Hope he's not like the Brave's though....sigh.)

Lol dumb.

He isn't a good perimeter defender. He is not a fluid athlete. His lateral agility is not good. Watch the games.

Maybe you should watch the games and know your stats. Poy may not be fluid on Offense or a good ball handler, but on defense he is quite the opposite. In games played last year, he guarded the 3 and they shot the ball at an incredible 12% against him. He can easily guard the 3 and would more than likely be the best defensive 3 in college at that. Although, due to offensive woes at the 3, I would rather he not.

This is the same "issue" we had with Zimmerman and Diallo. We look at the roster and only see 3 guys capable of playing the 4/5, one of whom is coming off knee surgery. Recruits look at the roster and see two upper class men McDonald's AAs, and the #1 pick. What looks thin to us looks stacked to others.

Swanigan is a great player, and I'd love to have him. But I also do not want Poy at the 3, it's a disservice to him and the team. More ideally, we'd add Murray and a Vargas type banger, but Idk if there's anyone out there like that. I'm sure Cal has it under control.

Wanted it more? Sorry but that statement is so out of line. Did we play badly down the stretch and make mistakes yes. But please let's not go down the "they wanted it more street." They played better when it counted that is why they won.
How is that statement out of line? I'm not saying UK didn't show up, but Wisconsin clearly played harder. I don't have the stats for 50/50 balls, but from watching the game it seemed like they came up with most of them, which is an indication of playing harder. Also, the stats that do show up in the box score are offensive rebounds, rebounds in general, and free throws. Wisconsin grabbed 12 offensive rebounds (UK had 6), had 34 total rebounds (UK had 22), and shot 22 free throws (UK shot 10).

How else do you explain the 258th best offensive rebounding team (UW) grabbing twice as many offensive rebounds as the 37th best offensive rebounding team (UK)? How about a team with the 15th best rebounding margin of +6.8 (UK) getting outrebounded by 12? How about a team averaging 24 free throws a game (UK) only shooting 10? One thing is an anomaly, but when a bunch of effort stats are overwhemingly in one teams favor, it's a safe bet to say that team wanted it more.

Of course UK needs post help. I'd remind you that Poythress is far from a sure thing. Who knows when he can return or how effective he'll be. To assume he'll automatically return to his pre-injury form is beyond optimistic.
Exactly! Some posts make it sound like Poy was just taking a sabbatical last year and will return better than ever. What we need and what we get from him may well be far different until January or later.

Yes.

I don't think the situation is dire but right now E.J. Floreal is going to have to be the 10th man in practice. On the court we're going to have to play two freshmen 30+ minutes, a 5'9" point guard 35+ minutes, and a guy coming off major knee surgery virtually all the time. Behind those guys we'll have to rely on two Kentucky kids, one of whom has been a spot player and the other who's never played meaningful minutes in his career.

Absolutely we need people. I'm not sure what posters are looking at when they say the roster is set.

It would certainly help to have more players, but you make it sound worse than it really is. With the exception of this past year when we played 10 guys, we've had at least 2 freshmen play 30+ minutes each season. In our two most successful seasons (by postseason finish: 2012 title, 2014 runner up) we played 3 and 4 freshmen 30+ minutes. You also neglect to mention Marcus Lee, or Mulder or Matthews. Mulder is an excellent shooter, and all we need him to do is knock down shots when Ulis and Briscoe kick out to him. Getting Swanigan would be nice, but it doesn't fill our biggest need: a reliable small forward. I'd be a bit disappointed if getting Swanigan pushed Poythress back to playing the SF for big minutes, but I'd definitely love to have another talented guy to add. If we miss, though, I'm still pretty optimistic about our season. These past two years have us forgetting that 6 or 7 deep is all we went during our highly successful 2011 and 2012 seasons.

It's not that easy. Cuonzo may have some semblance of decency, and won't just resort to spring creaning scholarship players (which he is maxed out on) for no reason, and Swanigan isn't going to just pay money to play for a school like California, while Kentucky is offering a scholarship.

False, it is literally that easy. If Swanigan wants to play at Cal he will be playing at Cal. This is not a Jarnell Stokes midseason situation, there is plenty of time and there will be plenty of room for Swanigan if he wants to play.

Assuming we get no other impact recruit this season, I'd much prefer a lineup of:
PG- Ulis, 30/ Briscoe, 10
SG- Briscoe, 20/ Matthews, 15, Mulder, 5
SF- Mulder, 20/ Matthews, 10/ Willis, 10
PF- Poythress, 25/ Lee, 15
C- Labissiere, 30/ Lee, 10
I actually like this lineup more than the above one. I think it opens the floor offensively, and they'd still be a damn good defensive team.

The only person other than Skal who has the butt to play center is Poythress. (Skal doesn't have the butt but he has the length and hops.) I imagine we'll play some kind of hybrid defense when Skal is out. We have 4 frontline players and 80 minutes of PT. It will be fun.

Labissiere needs at least 25 mpg.

Poythress needs at least 25 mpg.

Lee needs at least 20 mpg (or why bother coming back).

So that leaves about 10mpg for Swanigan.

So Poy has to spend significant minutes at SF to make room for Swanigan to get significant minutes.

Or make Lee warm the bench again.

I'm glad Cal has to figure this out not me.

swanigan is going to purdue with porkchop.. rumor is porkchop reeled him in with an interesting hybrid flavor snowcap

False, it is literally that easy. If Swanigan wants to play at Cal he will be playing at Cal. This is not a Jarnell Stokes midseason situation, there is plenty of time and there will be plenty of room for Swanigan if he wants to play.

Well until proven otherwise, math prevails, and the math doesn't work out at the moment. 0 scholarships available means you cannot give one. When a player is cut from Cal, we can start assuming that Swanigan is going to Cal, but until then, we have to assume that he won't be going there.
Being that he decommited from Michigan State, that cuts them. Purdue and UK then? Unless Cal cuts one (which for some reason, they still have not).

Where theres smoke there is usually
Fire.
I think we land this hoss
Ulis
Briscoe
Poy
Swanigan
Lab
Folks that 5 five stars with another one in Lee coming off the bench and a Mr Ky in jr. Hawkins subbing the guards.
We would be consensus #1 with the #1 class again.
Cal would be hailed as a genius.

So Poy has to spend significant minutes at SF to make room for Swanigan to get significant minutes.

Lee isn't playing more minutes then Swanigan. Get that out of your head

Reactions: brianpoe
I just don't know what is different now and when he declared for Michigan State. If he wanted to come to Kentucky, why didn't he on April 10? I think he is just spreading rumors saying UK is the leader so that people will pay attention to him.

I'm finally freaking back man. They banned me for a few days. But yes. Please lets us get Swanigan. Getting him and Murray would be so awesome. Swanigan and Skal would be dominating next year. They'd be a better 4-5 combo than WCS and KAT. It'd be more like the days of TJ and AD.

Reactions: RondoBaller21
Lee isn't playing more minutes then Swanigan. Get that out of your head

I'd agree. It's funny though, if we somehow do get Swanigan and then sign Vick or Murray...that sure looks like a 9 man rotation to me, much like last years after Poy got hurt. Now I suppose Cal will just not play 2 of the 9 that much (If we sign Murray my best GUESS would be Lee and Matthews lose big minutes, while if we get Vick who knows), but other coaches will say "See! He has another platoon thing going with that deep team!" so will make recruiting interesting going forward.

I'll add though if we get Swanigan and Murray who cares....because it obviously didn't work this year in the end in hurting UK's recruiting.

I'd agree. It's funny though, if we somehow do get Swanigan and then sign Vick or Murray...that sure looks like a 9 man rotation to me, much like last years after Poy got hurt. Now I suppose Cal will just not play 2 of the 9 that much (If we sign Murray my best GUESS would be Lee and Matthews lose big minutes, while if we get Vick who knows), but other coaches will say "See! He has another platoon thing going with that deep team!" so will make recruiting interesting going forward.

I'll add though if we get Swanigan and Murray who cares....because it obviously didn't work this year in the end in hurting UK's recruiting.
Lee and Mulder would more than likely lose a lot of minutes if those two come, which is fine by me

I swear to Jehovah if Alex Poythress plays more than 2 minutes at the SF spot next year I'm driving to Lexington and personally crapping in a paper bag, setting it on fire, knocking on Cal's door, and running away.

I'll at least break a remote against the wall... maybe a window.

I have extra bags. Is it possible to make that a group project?

Once again, take it for what it's worth but this time I am hearing good things from my guy (the AAU connection) that Swanigan is coming to UK. I hope he is right again!

California is working hard to get a spot open for him to join Rabb and Brown (that was the plan all along), but it looks to be too late. Go Cats!

So Swanigan is spending a lot of time with an AAU program right now?

LOL

I would say put Alex of the small forward spot for maybe just five minutes a game and give Lee and Swanigan both 17 or 18 minutes apiece. I really don't see him as a one and done which could work out really well because they are a precious few big man in 2016. He as a sophomore would be better than any freshman we could get I think.

I welcome all participants.

Good. I see UK being much better, with the current roster, when Poythress is more physical and guarding a 4. If the roster changes, perhaps, the luxury of playing Poythress out in the floor again, as with the 2015 roster, deveops. Until then, I think he is needed closer to the basket. Of course, I do not get paid $8M annually to make such decisions. So, I will pull just as hard for UK if he plays point guard.

Is Labissiere eligible yet?

How long will you remain eligible to post on this board?
There is absolutely 0 reasons as to why Skal would be ruled ineligible. Stop praying for it, won't happen.

Lindsay Brauner‏@lindzcatharine 11m11 minutes ago

Per multiple sources: Caleb Swanigan in consistent contact w Rabb, and Brown-- disc. Cal's chances as national contender w the 3 together.

as of right now, none of the 2015 recruits are eligible

i hope that answers your question

Also, for anyone expecting announcements, forget it. Schools do not announce those things. Unless the player does it himself, you just have to assume they are good to go.

Honestly do we need more players? We are loaded now and adding more players will only bench talent. I don't see a reason to add anybody else unless the curse(injury) is going to happen again like it has the past few years.

This seems like a poster who will say anything in hopes that it will get Willis more PT. What a laugh.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT