ADVERTISEMENT

Swanigan ... Hearing good things

Honestly do we need more players? We are loaded now and adding more players will only bench talent. I don't see a reason to add anybody else unless the curse(injury) is going to happen again like it has the past few years.
Seriously? You can't be a UK fan. You take a five star recruit and don't think twice about it. He will play lots and possibly start.

Reactions: brianpoe
Surely you won't take your ball and go home, will you?

The guy is just using UK like so many others. He is not going to come in here and compete for a starting job, he wants it handed to him. I want UK to get Murray, UK Needs another scorer. If Im wrong I will certainly rejoice with everyone else, but even if he does say he is coming I won't believe it 100% until he is at Big Blue Madness.

I'd be thrilled if we actually landed Swanigan. But I, too, want to see Poythress as little as possible at the small forward spot. His handles just aren't good enough to take opposing 3's off the dribble. He's just much more grabbing rebounds, making put backs and catching alley oops. My hope is that Caleb would be willing to come off the bench. If Poy played spot minutes at the 3 for occasional matchup purposes I could live with it. Maybe 20 at PF and 5 at small. Then if Skal got 30 minutes at center that would give Swanigan and Lee 30 minutes to split at the 4 and 5 spots.
The only way that scenario works is if you inverse Poythress' minutes. He would have to play 20 at SF and 5 at PF.
PG- Ulis, 30/ Briscoe, 10
SG- Briscoe, 20/ Mulder, 20
SF- Poythress, 20/ Matthews, 15/ Mulder, 5
PF- Lee, 25/ Swanigan, 10/ Poythress, 5
C- Labissiere, 30/ Swanigan, 10
That is a solid rotation. I'd be worried about scoring with the sarting lineup. Poythress as a 4 opens up the offense for everyone. He's a liability at the 3 offensively, but not at the 4 - he would actually be a pretty damn skilled 4 offensively, and then you'd have a shooter at the 3 to open things up even further. Actually, a starting lineup of Ulis, Briscoe, Mulder, Poythress, and Labissiere would be a damn good offensive/defensive team.

Assuming we get no other impact recruit this season, I'd much prefer a lineup of:
PG- Ulis, 30/ Briscoe, 10
SG- Briscoe, 20/ Matthews, 15, Mulder, 5
SF- Mulder, 20/ Matthews, 10/ Willis, 10
PF- Poythress, 25/ Lee, 15
C- Labissiere, 30/ Lee, 10
I actually like this lineup more than the above one. I think it opens the floor offensively, and they'd still be a damn good defensive team.

Lets say Lee and Skal get in foul trouble, wtf do we do then ? We need a physical big down low to rebound and play defense. Both of the guys we have inside, need to gain a LOT of strength. Lee can not play extended minutes without fouling. He is athlete, makes plays on tip dunks, lobs etc. He is not a mix it up, roll up the sleeves big. SL, is the same mold.

I think people are really, really selling Matthews short, he is going to be a very, very good wing player. I want a true post player that we can dump it to when a basket is needed, CS will fill that role and do work. Please tell me what Willis has done to lead people to believe even remotely that he can step in and play minutes against elite talent ???? Willis or Swanigan, give me CS all air.

Once again, take it for what it's worth but this time I am hearing good things from my guy (the AAU connection) that Swanigan is coming to UK. I hope he is right again!

California is working hard to get a spot open for him to join Rabb and Brown (that was the plan all along), but it looks to be too late. Go Cats!
You have been right so far and whether this tidbit bears fruit or not I appreciate the share.

Reactions: bigc45157
Lol dumb.

He isn't a good perimeter defender. He is not a fluid athlete. His lateral agility is not good. Watch the games.

What? Are you blind? Poythress is the best overall defender on the team, and far and away the most athletic. I think you need to watch the games, our defense was significantly better with Poythress at the 3 last season, and then he went down, and suddenly, there are numbers being put up that haven't been put up on us before that point. While I want Poy to play the 4, he is an elite perimeter defender.

Last edited:
I thought Swanigan was the consensus best rebounder in this class??? Now people say we don't need him? Can we talk again about how UK got killed on the boards by Wisconsin??

Jeez louise guys. If we don't get Swanigan, so be it. But please stop saying we don't need him or someone like him.
You do realize this coming team isn't at all the same as last year, right? Labissiere, Poythress, Lee, Matthews, and Mulder are all very good rebounders. Last year has about the same impact this coming year as the 2012 team does.

I'm not saying UK doesn't need Swanigan, but to make your point using a far different team as an example doesn't make sense. Lee played 5 minutes in that game, and Ulis played 17. No other player on this coming team played any minutes that game. Also, Wisconsin just wanted it more than UK. Their guards and "team" accounted for 41% (14/34) of their rebounds that game. They simply outworked UK. If UK matched their intensity, they have no problem rebounding in that game.

Once again, take it for what it's worth but this time I am hearing good things from my guy (the AAU connection) that Swanigan is coming to UK. I hope he is right again!

California is working hard to get a spot open for him to join Rabb and Brown (that was the plan all along), but it looks to be too late. Go Cats!

OP, once before (concerning the other recruits), I said you were full of s*** and you ended up being right every bit of the way. Hopefully you keep the streak alive. I would love to add Swanigan.

We need more posters with twitter accounts.

6N9gecQ.png

I swear to Jehovah if Alex Poythress plays more than 2 minutes at the SF spot next year I'm driving to Lexington and personally crapping in a paper bag, setting it on fire, knocking on Cal's door, and running away.

I'll at least break a remote against the wall... maybe a window.

I have to agree with Jason on this. Poythress is more of a 4 in collage than a 3. I cringed many time when he plays the 3 and steps out of bounds or as Jason said dribble the ball off of this foot.
Has anyone heard how Alex is doing on coming back from injury ? If Cal wants Swanigan and can get him I will be happy to have him but if a opening comes open at Cal. then I think he will go there.

This guy is so incredibly full of s***, it's flooding out of his ears. Same guy that said "Jaylen Brown to UK, done deal, we knew you would pick us", as well as "Sources say Jamal Murray as successfully reclassified"
I've gotten better information by interrogating my toaster.

Reactions: KDcats11
Honestly do we need more players? We are loaded now and adding more players will only bench talent. I don't see a reason to add anybody else unless the curse(injury) is going to happen again like it has the past few years.
You can never have too much talent. By the way, what has happen to the Rupp Rafters foremat?

This guy is so incredibly full of s***, it's flooding out of his ears. Same guy that said "Jaylen Brown to UK, done deal, we knew you would pick us", as well as "Sources say Jamal Murray as successfully reclassified"
I've gotten better information by interrogating my toaster.

Don't tease us like that! What is the toaster saying???

The guy is just using UK like so many others. He is not going to come in here and compete for a starting job, he wants it handed to him. I want UK to get Murray, UK Needs another scorer. If Im wrong I will certainly rejoice with everyone else, but even if he does say he is coming I won't believe it 100% until he is at Big Blue Madness.

Just messing with you, and I too will only believe it when he actually signs.

The thing is here its a combination of people not wanting to get their hopes up and some rumors about personal demands. I would love to have he would provide depth which is sometimes needed. Every player don't turn out to be Anthony Davis. That year we were blessed.

Plus if we sign him we can always still sign one more to end the class or maybe two more but I seriously doubt two more.

You do realize this coming team isn't at all the same as last year, right? Labissiere, Poythress, Lee, Matthews, and Mulder are all very good rebounders. Last year has about the same impact this coming year as the 2012 team does.

I'm not saying UK doesn't need Swanigan, but to make your point using a far different team as an example doesn't make sense. Lee played 5 minutes in that game, and Ulis played 17. No other player on this coming team played any minutes that game. Also, Wisconsin just wanted it more than UK. Their guards and "team" accounted for 41% (14/34) of their rebounds that game. They simply outworked UK. If UK matched their intensity, they have no problem rebounding in that game.

Wanted it more? Sorry but that statement is so out of line. Did we play badly down the stretch and make mistakes yes. But please let's not go down the "they wanted it more street." They played better when it counted that is why they won.

To be the most knowledgeable fan base we have some real low bball IQ people.

We have a freshman (Skal), a junior who can't dribble or shoot (Lee), and a 6'7, maybe 6'8 PF coming off an ACL as our only bigs but we do not need a 5 star big man? Amazing.

Willis has not played one second in the post.

And others please stop with the we need a wing and a shooter instead crap, of course we do. We have plenty of schollies available, Swanigan has nothing to do with a wing player.

Still say if Caleb Swanigan wants to come to UK, awesome! He is a gifted athlete who can rebound and create match up problems for the other team big time.

If Calipari is actively selling him on playing at UK, he must see the possibilities.

Well,any team that has to rely on Alex is in for a rough ride.

I don't disagree, but I felt the same about Darius before his senior year.

He's got to be a more consistent player offensively. We all know that. But the last time we saw him in a consistent stretch of games when he wasn't being platooned was his sophomore year. A lot can change from then to next fall.

To be the most knowledgeable fan base we have some real low bball IQ people.

We have a freshman (Skal), a junior who can't dribble or shoot (Lee), and a 6'7, maybe 6'8 PF coming off an ACL as our only bigs but we do not need a 5 star big man? Amazing.

Willis has not played one second in the post.

And others please stop with the we need a wing and a shooter instead crap, of course we do. We have plenty of schollies available, Swanigan has nothing to do with a wing player.

To be fair, because it would be entirely unfair to not mark the positives, that freshman will likely be a superstar in college and is an incredibly versatile offensive player, and a very well rounded and extremely athletic defensive player in the same way that WCS was. Awful lot of NBA scouts and recruiting analysts compare him to Anthony Davis at the same stage in their careers, and AD had quite possibly the best freshman season of any player to play the game at the college level, and brought a ton of things to the team.
Skal may not block as many shots (spoiler alert: he won't), but he will score more ppg than Davis, and will collect similar rebounds. He can also make plays on the perimeter on both sides of the ball, and that's huge.
Lee can't dribble like a wing, but we don't need him to. He can't shoot well, but the things he can do, he does well. He makes freakishly athletic plays, he defends well all over the floor, he's terrific at grabbing boards, especially offensively, and turning it into points. In transition, he's a mismatch for most power forwards, and he can block a lot of shots. With the work that he is, and will continue to put in, I think we'll be fine with Lee's production.
Poythress is actually 6'8, and while he is coming off of an ACL injury, I'm almost certain that he will put it all on the floor because of that injury, which is something we've lacked from Poy in the past. We know he has the ability, but we've been missing consistency, and this could serve as some kind of a revelation to him. He does the things we need him to do. Make athletic plays. He's stronger than most that he plays against, he's faster than most that he plays against, he jumps higher than most he plays against, he's had plenty of time to work on a jumpshot (and he's been jumping and dunking since late January as evidence by videos on Instagram), and even on his ball handling to a degree. He was probably the best overall defensive player on the team before he went down last season (seen somebody say he held his man to 12.8% from the field before the injury), and he's outstanding in transition. Poythress will be perfectly fine.
That said, there are many that complained about post depth, and people don't want the top remaining post player in the class? No, that's silly. We could always use depth. We don't need it, but we certainly have room for it, and it couldn't hurt. Add nobody, and I'm alright with next year's team. Add Vick, and I'm very happy with it. Add Vick as well as Swanigan (or even just Swanigan), and I'll be euphoric, but it's certainly not a necessity.

Lol....you called for it. It's amazing some of the crap that get's started by bogus tweets.
Even the legit tweets can spawn entire threads like this. Jon Rothstein tweets out something positive about Swanigan and UK and all of a sudden "AAU contacts" (which is likely code for twitter) start talking about it.

After the past 6 weeks I don't think anyone is going to get to high or low on Swanigan until he makes a decision.

Reactions: bigc45157
"Add nobody, and I'm alright with next year's team. Add Vick, and I'm very happy with it. Add Vick as well as Swanigan (or even just Swanigan), and I'll be euphoric,..."

Man, I want you euphoric and just plain out "giddy".

"Add nobody, and I'm alright with next year's team. Add Vick, and I'm very happy with it. Add Vick as well as Swanigan (or even just Swanigan), and I'll be euphoric,..."

Man, I want you euphoric and just plain out "giddy".

As do I. I think we may add one, but hey, I've been wrong before. About the same time that the OP was right. Like I said before, I called BS on the OP on the other recruits, and I thought they would come to UK. He was right, I was wrong. Hopefully he continues to be right.

Didnt read the thread, but anybody who did and took the info seriously after reading that line needs to have their posting privileges revoked. Swanigan will go to Cal if he pleases and a spot will be made available to him, that will not be an issue.

Didnt read the thread, but anybody who did and took the info seriously after reading that line needs to have their posting privileges revoked. Swanigan will go to Cal if he pleases and a spot will be made available to him, that will not be an issue.

It's not that easy. Cuonzo may have some semblance of decency, and won't just resort to spring creaning scholarship players (which he is maxed out on) for no reason, and Swanigan isn't going to just pay money to play for a school like California, while Kentucky is offering a scholarship.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT