ADVERTISEMENT

Stock Advice Thread

Just purchased 100 shares @ $5.39. Stay tuned.
If you are looking for income, you might look at JEPI and JEPQ. These are JP Morgan ETFs which write covered calls against large cap growth companies to generate extra income. You still participate in some of the growth of the underlying stocks while getting 7.5%-9.5% dividends. The JEPQ is NASDAQ focused and JEPI is more diversified. Dividends are paid monthly and is taxed as ordinary income rather than qualified dividends. Thus its better to hold this investment in an IRA/401k account if you are in an upper tax bracket.

Last edited:
If you are looking for income, you might look at JEPI and JEPQ. These are JP Morgan ETFs which write covered calls against large cap growth companies to generate extra income. You still participate in some of the growth of the underlying stocks while getting 7.5%-9.5% dividends. The JEPQ is NASDAQ focused and JEPI is more diversified. Dividends are paid monthly and is taxed as ordinary income rather than qualified dividends. Thus its better to hold this investment in an IRA/401k account.
Looked at JEPQ a while back. May give another look later. Thanks.

If you are looking for income, you might look at JEPI and JEPQ. These are JP Morgan ETFs which write covered calls against large cap growth companies to generate extra income. You still participate in some of the growth of the underlying stocks while getting 7.5%-9.5% dividends. The JEPQ is NASDAQ focused and JEPI is more diversified. Dividends are paid monthly and is taxed as ordinary income rather than qualified dividends. Thus its better to hold this investment in an IRA/401k account.
Looked at JEPQ a while back. May give another look later. Thanks.

I purchased some. Thanks!

Reactions: DSmith21
I am retirement age, so income is a little more of a priority than growth ... but I like a bit of both ... thus, I own a bit of JEPI and JEPQ.

Got a general question. Just had to setup my Wife's Roth Ira and transfer her old 401k to Vangaurd IRA (Her job doesn't offer one). She's 37 and collectively, she only has like 30k in there (.. i know). I have a 401k and a roth Ira, and both have been funded pretty aggressively for 10+ years, I'm on track for myself very well, but for my whole family (seeing as how her retirement is starting from scratch), it's hard to say.

I kind of have a "set it and forget it" with the retirement accounts. Both of mine are in target funds for 2050, and that's what her Roth IRA is as well. I'm about to invest her company's rollover one, and I just wants to know: should I spread this out more into different funds, target dates, etc? Or is it more or less fine with using the same target funds?

Got a general question. Just had to setup my Wife's Roth Ira and transfer her old 401k to Vangaurd IRA (Her job doesn't offer one). She's 37 and collectively, she only has like 30k in there (.. i know). I have a 401k and a roth Ira, and both have been funded pretty aggressively for 10+ years, I'm on track for myself very well, but for my whole family (seeing as how her retirement is starting from scratch), it's hard to say.

I kind of have a "set it and forget it" with the retirement accounts. Both of mine are in target funds for 2050, and that's what her Roth IRA is as well. I'm about to invest her company's rollover one, and I just wants to know: should I spread this out more into different funds, target dates, etc? Or is it more or less fine with using the same target funds?
I'm currently investing with a target fund, Blackrock Target 2025 for my 401K. Fund assets will soon transition into Blackrock Target 2030. Total return so far: 3.28%. Kinda crappy. Most under-performing retirement asset in my portfolio. However, I'm also dollar-cost averaging into the fund monthly.

Check with a couple posters here. A few posses some solid financial planning experience. They can provide much better advice than I.

Good luck.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14

37 is young with a lot of runway, I would favor a total stock market index fund, an S&P 500, or a 2060 fund as that will be more stock heavy than a 2050. Also not sure if you’ve read it or not but there’s a book called “the little common sense book of investing” by Bogle who started Vanguard that is a super easy and simple read that provides great insight imo.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14

I don't like putting everything into one fund (even though its diversified). That 2050 fund has underperformed Vanguard's S&P 500 fund fairly significantly over the 5 and 10 year time frames. At a minimum, I would put a portion of your money in the S&P 500 fund and monitor the performance of the funds over time.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT